Planet of the Apes Prequel in the Works?

Now would this be a prequel to Apes '68 or Apes '01?

It could be a remake ignoring Burton's attempt

You don't need the whole time-travel gimmick. Just make Caesar an ape prodigy. Or have him be genetically-engineered or something.

"They wanted smarter slaves. But they made them too smart . . . ."

I find it odd how in the time between the 1960's ealy 70's(the time Cornelius and Zera traveled to) and the "Conquest of the planet of the apes" that took place in 90's, that the apes evolved so quickly to upright talking slaves.

No not with Rothman in charge at fox..

I loved the original Planet of the Apes movies and I like them revisting this. The 2001 film was familiar yet distant. I like how they will start from Cesear and go forward from there. Cesear as a bad guy is okay, they are reinterpreting it. I like original scripts like everone else, but I can't understand why people are all in an uproar about reinventing old movies. Batman has been reinvented.Do you still want Batman 66 itoday instead of Dark Knight?Some movies have worked, others have not.

I hope they never remake Soylent Green, perfect film.

Now would this be a prequel to Apes '68 or Apes '01?
^^^

I guess to the very first one.

Anyway, it will bomb and prove again that Rothman is a producer version of Uwe Boll :up:
It's not a prequel to neither one. Reboot part 2. (Why would this be a prequel to the '68 when this Genesis: Apes is a remake of Conquest of the POTA which was a prequel to the '68...)

This is just something we don't need.

The same reason he has a hard on for every other bad idea.

I like Planet of the Apes, but there has been like what half a dozen sequels already.

Is it because it's the of the few franchises that Fox has? Fox has X-Men, that's a Marvel property. George Lucas owns Star Wars. Hmmm.

I mean anyone on the Hype could run his studio better than he does. I would give Jumper another chance, try for a sequel for that film. It had potential. Or maybe try for something a bit more Artsy, I loved Australia more stuff like that go for the accolades during the winter and Money during the summer.

That's the thing:

Jumper failed. Eragon failed, along with the other Warden fantasy movies. (Which is a shame..what a waste)

Going back to Planet of the Apes is a desperate move for a studio that needs a hit..badly.

Fox already has an art house studio, "Fox Searchlight" and they are already ten times better than the actual Fox. When it comes to Oscar bait films like Austrailia, only the likes of Baz Lermann and James Cameron have that pull at the studio. Otherwise, it goes to 'Searchlight'.

Man they need some staffing restructure bad. I had forgotten about Eragon, that was just horrible. I mean if they contiue this course we will see another AVP or Alien movie.

I don't know how long Rothman will keep his job. Thank God that they have Avatar and Wolverine next year..

Fox seems to be so out of touch with their movie studio. Everything else, they're doing fine.

Well here's the interview over at CHUD with the writer/director: (If no one's read it)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCOTT FRANK TELLS CHUD "I'M NOT REMAKING CONQUEST OF THE PLANET OF THE APES!"
By Devin Faraci

For the last month I've been on the heels of a story that has excited me: Fox has been developing a new Planet of the Apes film, a prequel. There were a lot of rumors. We heard from sources close to Fox that the film (which we were told was called Planet of the Apes: Genesis or Genesis: Apes) was a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. It would tell the story of Caesar, the chimpanzee who led the apes in rebellion, conquering humanity and creating a planet where apes ruled and humans served.

As we learned this weekend, things have changed in the previous months. Fox is still excited about this property, and now they've put the film into the hands of writer/director Scott Frank. The film is now called Caesar. But what about the rest of the info? Was any of it true? If so, does it still apply now that Frank is on the project? I went to the source and this morning spoke to Scott Frank himself.

Caesar is not a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. This is a fact that Frank can't stress to you enough - his film will not feature talking monkeys, and it will not end with chimpanzees running wild in the streets, taking over the world. But it isn't entirely divorced from the world of Planet of the Apes, either. In fact, Frank sees his movie as the opening chapter in a saga that could span the thousand years between today and a world where apes rule.

What's most exciting about Caesar is that Frank is committed to telling a hard science fiction story. The science that creates a hyper-intelligent chimpanzee is based on current real world research - this film would just take that science one step further. He's also committed to telling a story based on character, not antic ape action. His plan for Caesar is one where you come to really feel for this ape, even as the final act sees him taking actions that may be hard for us to agree with.

But getting Caesar to be a real character on the page is just one of the challenges still facing Frank. He is right now just in the beginning phases of rewriting the script, and even if he is able to nail the story, he still has to figure out if he can bring Caesar to life on screen. Since he doesn't want to have people running around in monkey suits, Frank is doing lots of research into the state of effects today - can he create a photoreal chimpanzee (one who is facially modified by the genetic engineering that grants him his intelligence) who will be the main character for this film? Can he create a character who is completely expressive through his face, eyes, and gestures (including sign language) without speaking a word of dialogue?

Fox seems convinced Frank can make it work. Caesar excites the writer/director because it's something so outside of his wheelhouse*, but he's adamant that he wants to get it right, and he says that the studio feels the same way. This is a film that needs to be grounded in character and science, and then made to feel real. While we didn't get into details, what Frank told me made Caesar sound like it would also continue the Apes tradition of tackling social issues, something sorely lacking in Tim Burton's stillborn re-imagining.

Frank was audibly excited about the movie as he told me about it, but he was also very cautious to say that he wouldn't know if the film would be going ahead until at least February. It does sound like Fox is eager to get this franchise restarted, so I hope that Frank feels comfortable with his script and the FX, since I'd rather see a guy who can write (and direct, judging by the criminally underseen The Lookout) on this film than a guy whose commercial background convinces the suits he can shoot action that will look cool in a trailer.

As a lifelong fan of the Apes series, Frank's take on this material has me excited in a way that I wouldn't have thought possible. The great thing about each of the original Apes sequels is that they did something new and unexpected, and there are many elements in Frank's concept that fit right in that tradition. His story is one that will work as a standalone thriller, as a science fiction thinker and as the beginning of a larger, grander saga.

Hopefully Caesar will continue moving forward. If it does, expect us to be at the forefront of its evolution, bringing you all the latest news.

* Although it's worth noting that Frank has been involved in thoughtful scifi before, namely Minority Report.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what to think of that. Could be a brilliant concept...could be a major disaster.

From Vulture:
Vulture Exclusive: Fox’s Planet of the Apes Reboot of the Reboot Is Back On

Claude Brodesser-Akner said:
Vulture has learned that contrary to reports that saddened cinephile simiaphiles everywhere last week, Twentieth Century Fox has not given up on rebooting Planet of the Apes. In fact, insiders familiar with the situation insist the studio is now more determined than ever to make the film, albeit with different DNA: The Apes have been handed to none other than Peter Chernin, who last summer exited his post as top banana of News Corporation to become a producer at Fox.

The Internet rumors of the reboot's demise likely germinated when it was discovered that all-star writer Scott Frank had left the project, an origin story showing just how the apes became so smart. Frank was also supposed to direct the film for producer Scott Rudin, and because Frank had crafted the scripts for such Fox hits as Minority Report and Marley & Me, it’s easy to see how his departure might be misconstrued as the studio’s loss of interest in the project. But no: Production and agency insiders both confirm that Fox has hired writer Jamie Moss (Street Kings) to rework Frank's version, and the original writers, Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (The Relic, The Hand that Rocks the Cradle), were recently brought back to polish the dialogue.

Frank’s Apes script, code-named Caesar, showed how genetic experiments on apes led to their evolutionary eclipse of humans. "Caesar" refers to the genetically altered leader of the simian rebellion, so dubbed because the ape was capable of grand strategic thinking on par with Julius Caesar (whose own surname means "hairy" in Latin). The "Caesar" code name also foreshadowed the script's plot: Just as the actual Julius Caesar set Rome on the path to the Roman Empire, the experimental ape's escape sets in motion his fellow hirsute hominids' (wait for it ... ) guerrilla war and subsequent dominance.*

The studio, however, wanted to pursue a different tack than Frank, and the writer-director was unwilling to change direction, according to a production source. As Rudin was only on board because Frank had asked him to serve as producer (the two had enjoyed working together on Jodie Foster’s Little Man Tate twenty years ago), he left as well. But now that it's been handed to Chernin, the presumed-dead project is red hot again. For one thing, as part of his golden parachute from News Corporation, Chernin has several “put” pictures — essentially, a commitment from the studio to get several movies made, even if the studio brass objects. But insiders tell Vulture that Chernin may not even need to waste one of his puts: The studio wants to make the Caesar project, post haste. A director is expected to be hired imminently.

Chernin had been passionate about this franchise long before Tim Burton did his 2001 remake. Shortly after Chernin became head of Fox Filmed Entertainment in 1992, he had tried to revive Fox’s Apes franchise, paying Oliver Stone a million dollars to executive produce a Return of the Apes film; in David Hughes 2004 book, Tales from Development Hell, Chernin even called its script, by Terry Hayes (The Road Warrior, From Hell), “one of the best I ever read.” It centered on a geneticist who time-travels back to the Paleolithic Era, where he must help humans win a war against highly evolved apes and protect a young girl whose genes will give ultimately save mankind from a plague. (If this sounds Terminator-esque, get this: Arnold Schwarzenegger was considered for the role of the geneticist.)

But now that he's free of the apes' opposable-thumbed grip, whither Scott Frank? Agency insiders tell us that the Oscar-nominated screenwriter (who also wrote Out of Sight and Get Shorty) has been hired to adapt a forthcoming young-adult novel, co-written by none other than James Frey, called I Am Number Four. The book, first in a series of six, is about nine alien survivors who flee to earth after their planet is destroyed, one of whom (No. 4!) hides out in a high school from his interstellar enemies. It was optioned last summer by DreamWorks, with Michael Bay producing and Smallville creators Alfred Gough and Miles Millar adapting the script, and yesterday, the studio announced that D.J. Caruso (Disturbia) had been hired to direct. With Frank committing to work on the Gough and Millar draft, that’s a veritable crop circle of a sign that DreamWorks intends to make I Am Number Four its No.1 priority for next year.

*plot details updated since original post

I was never much of a fan of this franchise so this news doesn't mean much to me. However, if I was a fan I wouldn't have much confidence in this project knowing Fox just hired Tom Rothman's friend and former boss to produce this project. Does Peter Chernin have any experience as a producer?

this new one sounds interesting. it's a few years away so people will be able to distance it fro tim burton's planet of the crap.

This franchise has ssssoooooooo much potential. It could have been epic if done right. It needed to be dark and edgy, not all hollywooded up.......

I seriously doubt Fox in it's current state could do much better with this than they did with Burtons film.

The POTA concept is one of the greatest and most ingenious sci-fi concepts of all time. It is a very important story with a very powerful social message.
I would love to see them revisit the concept, but would highly stress they take the time to hire the smartest writing team possible, because this franchise deserves the absolute best treatment.
It needs to be re-made for a new generation because they will never appreciate the original.
Burton completely blew it. He completely missed the most valuable point of the franchise. I left that movie theater so heart broken.
Rick Baker did the make up which was absolutely sublime, but unfortunately it all suffered at the hands of a director with the wrong vision for this concept.

I do hope we see a new POTA series of films, but only if produced by a team with the care and understanding of the original vision and concept.
It needs and deserves to be epic, on the level of Lord of the Rings.

I agree 100%. I think Burton, in his element, is incredible. A gothic themed movie he's #1 in my book. But for POTA, Fox kinda picked the wrong director. I would love to see what Cameron could do for POTA.

From Cinema Blend:
Planet Of The Apes Prequel Turns To Second-Tier Directors
Katey Rich said:
Chernin started by aiming high, going to Kathryn Bigelow, Robert Rodriguez, and Let the Right One In director Tomas Alfredson. Unsurprisingly, all of them said no (did he really think Bigelow would take on a project so guaranteed to get attacked?), and now it's on to the second tier of directors who have all had schlocky but profitable movies come out in the last year or so. Offers have gone out to the Hughes brothers (The Book of Eli), Pierre Morel (Taken), James McTeigue (Ninja Assassin), Dennis Iliadis (The Last House on the Left) and Scott Stewart (Legion).

Not surprising. Fox should just let it die. They already ruined the franchise after the last movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"