Planet of the Apes Prequel in the Works?

Sam Fisher

Heavy Meddle
Reaction score
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/690624/Planet_Of_The_Apes_Set_For_ReReboot.html

There seem to be rumblings over at Fox about another possible reboot of the Planet of the Apes franchise. In the aftermath of the critically unsuccessful 2001 Tim Burton remake, it seems that they are willing to give it another (presumably "Wahlbergless") shot.

The new film tentatively titled Genesis: Apes, is based on 1972's Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, which depicted a revolt of oppressed apes in a "future" 1991 world being led by an intelligent ape named Caesar who overthrew humans who took up keeping and abusing apes as house-pets (thus ensuing the era of the Apes.) However, they've twisted the original story a bit by making Caesar's origin derive from genetic engineering (as opposed to the original where his parents came back in time from the future ape-dominated world.) However, the biggest spin to the story is that this time around, Caesar is the bad guy! In the aftermath of his seemingly justified revolt, he becomes evil and leads his army of apes to kill all humans. It is this very premise of the hero becoming the villain that has kept the film on the sidelines for a while now.

The "Apes" films, besides being breakthroughs in science fiction, were also utilized as social commentary pieces. This was unable to come through in Burton's remake. This new script, written by Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver (The Relic) seems to display an inclination towards returning to that habit, except with different themes.
I don't know what to think of this...can't be worse than the last time they tried to reboot the franchise:csad:

The only good thing that movie had going for it was the makeup.

Fox is desperate for a tentpole franchise... but they need to give this crap from the seventies a rest... Burton did them in. There is absolutely no interest for more Planet of the Apes films...

Fox is desperate for a tentpole franchise... but they need to give this crap from the seventies a rest... Burton did them in. There is absolutely no interest for more Planet of the Apes films...
The films are hardly crap...

The first one was 1969 no? The follow up was weak... I remember there were a couple more decent films in the series but nothing spectacular... besides I should clarify... what I meant was... taking material for the 70's and making it crap... which is basically what Burton did. It ended then and there.

i don't see the need for a film when we're bound to experiance the real ape uprising within a decade or so

i don't see the need for a film when we're bound to experiance the real ape uprising within a decade or so

Exactly. I've been stocking up on firearms and ape-repellent for the last few years.

No, no, no and no. Just re-release the old ones for a little while.

It will not be us who spanks the monkey but they monkey who spanks us!!!!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=50902

Source: CHUD
November 29, 2008

Last month, CHUD reported that 20th Century Fox had a script in the works titled Genesis: Apes, which is essentially a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. The site said that the project is the story of Caesar, the first ape with speech who started the events that led to a world where monkeys were on top.

Now, they're reporting that Fox's Tom Rothman talks about the possible prequel in between showings of the "Planet of the Apes" movies on Fox Movie Channel this weekend.

"We are very close at Fox on a new Apes script- this one a kind of prequel story before the first story, with a return to the social thematics that mark the first one, but with an entirely contemporary setting - Earth 2009," Rotham reportedly says.

For more on this, go here!

They already made a prequel to the original Planet Of The Apes.

It was called Escape From The Planet Of The Apes. :oldrazz:

When are they gonna release the Planet of the Apes: Going Ape The Musical ??? :cmad:

As soon as they find a replacement for Troy McClure, I figure. :oldrazz:

I thought of that right after I posted--funny how I was reading Phil Hartman's wikipedia page today too.. :csad:

Now would this be a prequel to Apes '68 or Apes '01?

^^^

I guess to the very first one.

Anyway, it will bomb and prove again that Rothman is a producer version of Uwe Boll :up:

The POTA concept is one of the greatest and most ingenious sci-fi concepts of all time. It is a very important story with a very powerful social message.
I would love to see them revisit the concept, but would highly stress they take the time to hire the smartest writing team possible, because this franchise deserves the absolute best treatment.
It needs to be re-made for a new generation because they will never appreciate the original.
Burton completely blew it. He completely missed the most valuable point of the franchise. I left that movie theater so heart broken.
Rick Baker did the make up which was absolutely sublime, but unfortunately it all suffered at the hands of a director with the wrong vision for this concept.

I do hope we see a new POTA series of films, but only if produced by a team with the care and understanding of the original vision and concept.
It needs and deserves to be epic, on the level of Lord of the Rings.

Oh, crap. Tom Rothman's talking about it.

Get you're hands off this franchise! You damn dirty Rothman!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"