• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sci-Fi Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Um, why would they give up on a franchise that had the second highest opening for it and the smallest second week drop of all three films?
Don't mind my worrying, I'm just conditioned to expecting the worst decisions from studios these days if a movie struggles to break even. I'm more inclined to believe they'll keep going.

Don't mind my worrying, I'm just conditioned to expecting the worst decisions from studios these days if a movie struggles to break even. I'm more inclined to believe they'll keep going.

It isn’t struggling to break even though.

It’s on the set path of becoming the second most profitable film of the recent franchise.

Second highest opening, lowest second week drop. It’s exceeding expectations, especially in terms of the second as it broke a record there.

It isn’t struggling to break even though.

It’s on the set path of becoming the second most profitable film of the recent franchise.

Second highest opening, lowest second week drop. It’s exceeding expectations, especially in terms of the second as it broke a record there.
I also didn't see your last post before this one comparing the drops until after the fact so that makes me feel more at ease.

I also didn't see your last post before this one comparing the drops until after the fact so that makes me feel more at ease.

If reaction was due to the person who (for whatever reason) compared its current standing to the other films - they were disingenuously comparing second week to total lifetime gross.

There’s an easy to see reason why all trades keep labeling its performance as a success.

As long as there’s no type of random October surprise, it’s more than in the clear.

To be fair, the domestic and oversea numbers ratio is by far the lowest out of all previous three films (meaning outside North America it's not doing as good) so it's a valid thing to wonder how much money it will end up making, if it's going to make profit or not and if it's going to affect the sequels and how.

It would indeed be a shame to set the ground for a trilogy and not resolve everything later on. It pretty much ended on a cliffhanger for the first time. But I hope that Disney sees potential in the future and lower their expectations for Kingdom's box office gross.

To be fair, the domestic and oversea numbers ratio is by far the lowest out of all previous three films (meaning outside North America it's not doing as good) so it's a valid thing to wonder how much money it will end up making, if it's going to make profit or not and if it's going to affect the sequels and how.

It would indeed be a shame to set the ground for a trilogy and not resolve everything later on. It pretty much ended on a cliffhanger for the first time. But I hope that Disney sees potential in the future and lower their expectations for Kingdom's box office gross.

Do you actually have a link to a notable trade in terms of statistics that shows or says that? Second week comparison, not total.

Since most notable trades (particularly the main three (Variety, Deadline, Hollywood Reporter) keep remarking on the film’s worldwide success.

“Disney and 20th Century’s “Kingdom of the Planet of the ApesCONQUERED the international box office again with $40.6 million in its second weekend of release.”

Last edited:
“With STRONG holds overseas, 20th Century Studios/Disney’s Kingdom of the Planet of the Apesadded $40.6M from 52 material international box office markets in the sophomore session. The offshore cume is now $136.3M for $237.5M global.”

Right because matching totals with the second week makes perfect sense.

If you want people to take the second part seriously - give second week for all (not total lifetime gross) and what countries they were open in by that point in time.

Per drops:

Rise = 59%
Dawn = 62%
War = 73%

Thus, not only did it open higher than Rise and War - it also has the smallest drop out of all three films.

Okay you need to stop with the attitude just like in the other threads or ill be putting you in ignore.

I didn't even say anything about its performance for you to get defensive. I merely posted box office numbers for those who are interested and btw, it took me a couple of minutes, to compile that. So I don't deserve that attitude from yours.

If reaction was due to the person who (for whatever reason) compared its current standing to the other films - they were disingenuously comparing second week to total lifetime gross.

There’s an easy to see reason why all trades keep labeling its performance as a success.

As long as there’s no type of random October surprise, it’s more than in the clear.
Okay.... looks like you continued ranting in another post.

Okay you need to stop with the attitude just like in the other threads or ill be putting you in ignore.

I didn't even say anything about its performance for you to get defensive. I merely posted box office numbers for those who are interested and btw, it took me a couple of minutes, to compile that. So I don't deserve that attitude from yours.

😂 I don’t care at all about a disingenuous nobody’s opinion of me. 😂

You clearly attempted to put the numbers out of disproportion. All I did was put everything in context with notable trades showing the same.

Let me guess you’ll now rant again over your perceived out-of-nowhere victim complex? Last reply to you (as you’re already on my ignore) as to not waste time.

You clearly attempted to put the numbers out of disproportion.

Let me guess you’ll now rant again over your victim complex? Last reply to you as to not waste time.
Fyi, box office franchise numbers can been posted all the time.

You are taking that post into bad faith like as if I insinuated that Kingdom's numbers won't change in the coming weeks...

Victim complex? Why is this attitude allowed here?

Fyi, box office franchise numbers can been posted all the time.

You are taking that post into bad faith like as if I insinuated that Kingdom's numbers won't change in the coming weeks...

Victim complex? Why is this attitude allowed here?

I called out how you posted the numbers - not you personally until you did (since for whatever reason from your replies you took it very personally and mentioned some beef you apparently have with me when I sincerely don’t even remember you (which is all around odd)). All I did was return the favor.

As said, on ignore now due to your want to turn everything from 8 up to 100 and being a grudge holder (for whatever reason) against me. Don't have time for that, so last post and on ignore.

Last edited:
Domestic
208M - Dawn
180M - 2001
176M - Rise
146M - War
101M - Kingdom 🐒
32M - 1968
18M - Beneath
12M - Escape
9M - Conquest
8M - Battle

Worldwide
710M - Dawn
490M - War
481M - Rise
362M - 2001
237M - Kingdom 🙈
Rotten Tomatoes
94% War
91% Dawn
86% 1968
82% Rise
81% Kingdom 🐒
76% Escape
52% Conquest
43% 2001
37% Beneath
36% Battle

winslow-odd-fellow.gif

Do you actually have a link to a notable trade in terms of statistics that shows or says that? Second week comparison, not total.

Since most notable trades (particularly the main three (Variety, Deadline, Hollywood Reporter) keep remarking on the film’s worldwide success.

“Disney and 20th Century’s “Kingdom of the Planet of the ApesCONQUERED the international box office again with $40.6 million in its second weekend of release.”

I'm not saying it isn't doing well, or that it's not successful, I'm saying it isn't doing as well as the previous films overseas, which might affect the overall gross at the end. The keyword is "relatively". The phrases you're highlighting don't really mean much with no context. I mean, yeah it's successful, and yeah it conquered the box office again, but all the latter means is it was #1 again when IF basically flopped outside the US.

I'm not comparing overall box office runs like psylockolussus, I'm comparing how much of the worldwide box office gross of each film is made of international money, so taking into account just second weekends is not only unnecessary it's also extremely unfair since Dawn for instance was released in probably less than 20% of oversea countries in its first weekend and literally dozens more in its third, while Kingdom played in pretty much 95% of the markets at the same time it was released in the US. You can still look at the numbers we have so far and take an idea, which I guarantee you is not going to change much.

5646456.png

If you think that internationally Kingdom is going to go from making 1.3 times the domestic gross to 2.5 or even 1.8 you are just wrong. We can discuss it again in a few weeks but it won't change much.

Again, don't mistaken me saying it has an international drop with saying it's doing bad. But at the end of the day it's the second most expensive film in the franchise and unlike Dawn it won't do anywhere near 700 million, so you should at least see why some people could be raising their eyebrows. It's not doom and gloom negativity, it's a slight concern on if and how future plans might be affected. :shrug:

I do think they need to watch their budget, if they really want to make it to movie #9. Because this new era isn't even halfway. Also when I posted those franchise numbers, I remember how War's box office numbers saw a noticeable decline from Dawn, despite the movie being critically acclaimed.

I just don't think this franchise has an universal appeal, because if it did, it would be making so much more. But still, 4 well received movies is still an amazing feat. There are only few quadrilogies that are as good as this, that I can think of. 🐒

Saw the movie. Liked it. Thought it had some interesting ideas that never fully formed and overall the film didn't feel essential. More like a pit stop compared to the first three. But the two leads really brought it as did the VFX team. They continue to amaze.

When it comes to box office, not great. I don't think the series is in danger of dying, but it's really lagging behind overseas.

You clearly attempted to put the numbers out of disproportion. All I did was put everything in context with notable trades showing the same.

Let me guess you’ll now rant again over your perceived out-of-nowhere victim complex? Last reply to you (as you’re already on my ignore) as to not waste time.
Somebody needs a time out.

The thing with the international box office is that you really have to look at it with China separated from the rest. Because sure, it may not be doing as well internationally as the others. But how much of that is it from China just not being where most of western movies can to well there anymore. Dawn and War both did $100+ in China. Just a quick glance shows that Kingdom definitely ain't doing anywhere close to that.

Given the state of Disney, they are going to take any franchise success story they can.

Regardless of how this performs I say there's no chance they make 8 more of these. That just sounds like crazy talk from some executive who thinks any franchise can reach the number of movies Fast & Furious or the MCU have reached. I think realistically we'll probably get a trilogy and then probably a couple of years in between from when they try something again.

Having not seen the Charleton Heston original in years and having never seen the Mark Walhberg one or this new set of films since the first one with James Franco, I have to ask:

- What happened to all of the other animals when the Apes took over? I know that they rode horses in War for the Planet of the Apes, but what happened to the other animals? Were they killed off as the Apes saw them as a threat?

Having not seen the Charleton Heston original in years and having never seen the Mark Walhberg one or this new set of films since the first one with James Franco, I have to ask:

- What happened to all of the other animals when the Apes took over? I know that they rode horses in War for the Planet of the Apes, but what happened to the other animals? Were they killed off as the Apes saw them as a threat?
The only kind of explanation given for the lack of other animals in the original series was that there was a virus that killed all dogs and cats. Other than that, it's not really touched upon in the series.

The only kind of explanation given for the lack of other animals in the original series was that there was a virus that killed all dogs and cats. Other than that, it's not really touched upon in the series.
There's a bear attack scene in Dawn, which starts off with them hunting deer for food. They're also shown fishing at one point.

The idea of having to show this type of ecosystem exploration in such a "oh hey, there's an armadillo" manner is time-suckingly irrelevant to the plot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"