Sequels Kraven - What to change and what to keep the same?

Iceburgeruk

Civilian
Reaction score
If they go for lizard in spidey 4 then kraven seems likely as well.

1) He is a classic silver age villain and raimi seems to love them all.
2) Kraven is the hunter and lizard is seemingly an animal. Therefore hunter and prey.
3) Lizard is a sympathetic villain we wouldn`t want a whole film of spidey beating him up so the easiest way to go is to have spidey defend him from someone. And kraven nicely fits the bill.

Problem is though Kraven is human. And the spidey movies have gone to great lengths to make spidey super-human. Movie spidey would prob completly doinate comics kraven.

So how to make the character work? Any ideas?

I think that one way to lessen the gap in abilities is to focus on the way that kraven is incredibly athletic and well trained. Spidey is acrobatic but his style of fighting comes primarily from his abilities. He never needed to elarn martial arts or anything because he has spider powers.

So they could simply have that kraven can dodge spidey`s attacks and he is a brilliant martial artist training in most of the primary forms from across th globe. Spidey tries to punch him and he dodges and locks up spideys arm. Spidey dives for him and he rolls through and uses spideys own momentum against him. That would go along way to evening it out but would it be enough?

What about his look? wearing a lion's head??
And what about weapons? He's supposed to have tons of weapons... maybe a cool looking crossbow :)

I say keep alot of the things form the Comic's and doing slight changes. Keep the lion vest, take away the skin tight pants because I don't think that would look good on film, etc. I think Kraven should defenitley use a spear and a hunting knife. He could use it in an off screen death on an animal or something. He could also try to use them on Spider-Man. As I said once before, Kraven shouldn't be sympathetic. I just don't think it should be that way for Kraven. I always loved his mean attitude in the comic's and how all that mattered was the hunt, I would love to see that on film.

Kraven should defenitley have fist fights with Spider-Man. In the Comic's, Kraven was very agile and could take down a charging bull, so I would love to see that displayed on film as well.

Sam Raimi, recently, said Lizard, but nothing of Kraven, the other two candidates he has said were Vulture and Electro.

I'd say give him a more modern, realistic look. Then towards the end of the movie to show how hell bent and crazy he is, have him wear a really rough looking lion vest (like if he quickly killed a lion and made a makeshift vest out of it).

I'd say give him a more modern, realistic look. Then towards the end of the movie to show how hell bent and crazy he is, have him wear a really rough looking lion vest (like if he quickly killed a lion and made a makeshift vest out of it).

I like the thought :)

Sam Raimi, recently, said Lizard, but nothing of Kraven, the other two candidates he has said were Vulture and Electro.

It doesn't matter what he said, Raimi isn't writing SM4.

Keep the same:

- His insanity.
- His relationship strained/ abusive with his brother. I'd like to see Chameleon have a very small cameo/ mention in Spider-Man 4 to set him up as a future villain...maybe Kraven thinks Dmitri is dead, but it turns out he isn't...blah blah.
- His obsession with the hunt. His viewing Spider-Man as more of an animal than a man.
- His change of heart at the end, when he realizes the good in Spider-Man (straight from Kraven's last hunt)
- Wishful Thinking: His suicide...but it won't happen.

Things to change

- His Wardrobe; have him dress like an extremely wealthy eastern European man 90% of the time. Only have him dress in hunter clothes when he's on the hunt.
- Some of his mannerisms: Kraven wasn't above dropping to his knees and roaring like a lion, or beating his chest and making Gorilla noises. We might want to cull that from the character.

Limit the lion's vest business... if so, I'm not sure if it should be the face. If they do use the face, limit him wearing it to very late in the movie. The rest of the movie, something grittier and more realistic.

Definately "yay" on the craziness and animal noises... but I want to see him start essentially as an a**hole bad guy who descends into madness and becomes significantly crazier.

Strategy is definately his strength against Spider-Man. It's a hunt. He should have direct fights, but it'll take creativity to make them work.

The basic thing though for kraven fans is that if he is not in the movie with the lizard then he prob won`t tunr up ever at all. Its just the only story that really makes sense for him. And he doesn`t have any flashy powers all he is is a hunter. And this is the one story where you could put the hunt in. I cannot imagine them having kraven hunting mysterio or something dumb like that.

So it prob is kraven vs lizard. Or no kraven at all.

About 7 years ago, I posted a script on counting down.com which involved kraven and the lizard as the villains for a spidey movie and in one scene I wrote a scene that involved kraven having seemingly having a nightmare dream sequence that involved an African witchdoctor doing some hocus pocus voodoo on him regarding the herbal potions that gave him super abilities. Thats one scene I'd love to see on film.

Problem is though Kraven is human. And the spidey movies have gone to great lengths to make spidey super-human. Movie spidey would prob completly doinate comics kraven.
Kraven The Hunter is also super-human, with super-human agility.

The main problem with Kraven for the producers (not me, he's one of my favourites) is that he doesn't provide any spectacular special effects or visuals. Seeing Spidey fight CGI lions in central park....no thanks.

The main problem with Kraven for the producers (not me, he's one of my favourites) is that he doesn't provide any spectacular special effects or visuals. Seeing Spidey fight CGI lions in central park....no thanks.

I feel the same. A villain in most superhero films must look visually great as well as being a great character. Although,I thought I saw in the 90's cartoon that Kraven had a special potion that gave him superhuman abilities? Maybe I'm wrong about that?

i wouldnt' want to see spidey directly wrestling with any zoo animals. if there is a lion or crocodile involved then i believe that spidey shoudl be saving somebody from it (taking them out of the cage, etc) or even webbing them up

as for kraven... i feel the same way about a lack of spectacular effects coming from a hunter and a lizard man. lizard woudl just have to look as real and terrifying as possible and would have to have great strength and agility, he intereacts mainly with his family, unless someone gets in the way (possibly someone from theuniversity) it's his wife and son. kraven on the other hand shoudl have his classic knife, whip, and cross-bow. put a tech twist on anyy of his weapons and it makes up for the lack of specatular effects. if he uses exploding darts or bombs, pretty intricate traps other than a beartrap might involve laser trip wires. i'm not suggesting that kraven be all tech-d out but give him some modern advances in the weapons he uses. be neat if maybe he used a whip that had an electric touch to it when struck.

i'd also be fine with vulture and or electro being used. i feel electro could easily hold a movie on his own if he is steadily gaining power and ability through the movie. instead of just a guy who shoots bolts.
simple way of using electro and vulture? not necesarily teaming them up, but vulture could be in the beginning-area of the movie and is apprehended by spider-man and humiliated publicly (hung upside down from a street sign and laughed at) and put into jail. lets say that when we first meet electro he is already in prison and is vultures roommate (conveniant, i know). through them talking electro has sumething of a nightmare (which reveals to us how he ended up their along with the gaining of his abilities) and realizes his power. he wakes up from a surge of energy, powers down rykers island and blasts a hole outward from their cell. electro gets away and vulture soon follows, parting their ways. electro then becomes the main focus and bad guy and at first might seem to just be untouchable but by the end of the movie he becomes power, traveling by means of lighting or phone wires and sucks the energy out of times square. a brightly lit fight would be neat to see come as a conclusion to them at the end of the movie. vulture on the other hand can have his last fight either during, before, or after electro's defeat and is also defeated.
either way, lizard and kraven or vulture and electro, i feel that the movie shoudl open with shocker being apprehended by spider-man and it shoudl also be the wedding movie for mj and peter

I say base him on Kraven's Last Hunt and make him possibly an aristocrat of Eastern Europe that prospered under the "communist" POV of the Cold WAr (kind of like the power in Romania) and after its collapse he escaped to Africa and became a gentlmen hunter/crazy killing machine.

I know in the comics he is Russian, but that was never confirmed until KLH (where most of it should come from) and making him Romanian I don't think would be too big of a deal.

Now perfect dream casting would be someone like Russell Crowe. Realistically Gerard Butler (I thought this pre-300) could be a good Kraven if he could hide the Scotish accent better (I only heard him hide it once in Dracula 2000, and that was a terrible movie). But we'll see.

I say base him on Kraven's Last Hunt and make him possibly an aristocrat of Eastern Europe that prospered under the "communist" POV of the Cold WAr (kind of like the power in Romania) and after its collapse he escaped to Africa and became a gentlmen hunter/crazy killing machine.

I know in the comics he is Russian, but that was never confirmed until KLH (where most of it should come from) and making him Romanian I don't think would be too big of a deal.

Now perfect dream casting would be someone like Russell Crowe. Realistically Gerard Butler (I thought this pre-300) could be a good Kraven if he could hide the Scotish accent better (I only heard him hide it once in Dracula 2000, and that was a terrible movie). But we'll see.

I would like to see Kraven used as a pawn, someone else be the main villian pulling the strings from behind the scenes, maybe mail kraven an issue of the daily bugle with one of the first photos of the lizard to peak his intrest, have him be really bored with leading american explorers and the like on hunts and he wants the thrill is why he shows up in new york, then have him run into spidey. I wouldn't mind it being someone like the chameleon working behind the scenes, mostly because he is wanting revenge on kraven, hoping the lizard or spiderman one kill him.

as far as casting the only actor I can see as kraven is oded fehr.

I can think of Kraven as difficult, since some people just are very good at what they do. He's a natural fighter. Maybe not super-enhanced, but his senses are heightened. Developing his style would be kind of a fun task.

Still. I'm not sure I want him in a movie. They'd be doing what Batman did, which is covering all villains and making the 'lesser' of them seem more dangerous by including more.

GG, Doc Ock and Venom all do well on their own. They just forced Venom into the equation too soon. Carnage would do great in his own piece, as would Electro. They're both crazy enough that it would work, it's just that Parker wouldn't have that same connection as he did Osborn and Octavius. The Jackal would be fun, though obviously with him there comes another slw of characters (Mmm, Ben Reilly and Kaine.) The Lizard, prolly not, and while I understand creature and the hunter as a film, meh. There's got to be something else they can do with that.

They'd have to change the tone up a bit, but following around Hammerhead and Tombstone, or some of the other mobster villains could make for an interesting piece. We haven't really seen Peter Parker as a 'detective' yet. I'm not saying he's Batman or anything, but sometimes he does have to figure things out. Right now, things just sort of happen to him. Maybe that should change.

-Vaportrail

Well, they did say that Vanderbilt was chosen for SM4 because his ideas were driven by characters and not CG. So maybe Kraven's lack of visual appeal won't be a problem.

There are two ways to do kraven and both should be used.

They should go with high tech hunter that has given up on what he loves and has gotten complacent.

then after his failed attempts, he should go crazy and search the world for the way to beat spidey and come back all natural.

he should be driven and completely obsessed about getting one over on spidey and he should use the lizard in order to do this. They should also have a black suit cameo to show pete being buried for a while and kraven taking out the lizard in those evil threads...

I doubt the black suit will reappear and to be honest, I don't see why. It serves nothing other than paying homage to klh.

I would love to see them do a movie along the lines of Ultimate Spiderman #16. In that one. Kraven the Hunter is an over the top Reality TV star much like Marvels twisted version of the Crocodile hunter.

Movie story could go:
Loosing his luster and earning to get back in to the limelight Kraven goes to NY to hunt down the biggest game of all that has been making world wide news “The Lizard.” Spidey himself is looking for the murderous beast but during his hunt he finds out that the Lizard is really his long time mentor Doc Conners. Spidey now has to save him and see if he can help him come back from this monstrous alter ego.

Just as Spidey gets close along come Kraven to screw things up and on national TV to boot.

I think the story led itself to tons of pop culture references, make some actual cultural commentary, great comedy and horror scenes. It could also tie into the internal story of how Peter is trying to make am menses, saving Doc Conner for losing both Uncle Ben and Harry to his life as Spiderman.

If it is handled well and wardrobe/special effects are top notch it could be a great

Also could be a great way to go and pay homage to a classic story.

I would love to see them do a movie along the lines of Ultimate Spiderman #16. In that one. Kraven the Hunter is an over the top Reality TV star much like Marvels twisted version of the Crocodile hunter.

Movie story could go:
Loosing his luster and earning to get back in to the limelight Kraven goes to NY to hunt down the biggest game of all that has been making world wide news “The Lizard.” Spidey himself is looking for the murderous beast but during his hunt he finds out that the Lizard is really his long time mentor Doc Conners. Spidey now has to save him and see if he can help him come back from this monstrous alter ego.

Just as Spidey gets close along come Kraven to screw things up and on national TV to boot.

I think the story led itself to tons of pop culture references, make some actual cultural commentary, great comedy and horror scenes. It could also tie into the internal story of how Peter is trying to make am menses, saving Doc Conner for losing both Uncle Ben and Harry to his life as Spiderman.

If it is handled well and wardrobe/special effects are top notch it could be a great

stopped reading after that :dry:

Movie story could go:

It seems a case where the original 616 character is more believable and lss silly a character than the ultimate one. Kraven as steve irwin, seems silly why would a steve irwin type want to HURT animals? Steve Irwin was a crocodile hunter in name only he hunted them for putting them in zoos. And i doubt kraven wanting to put lizard in a zoo would make him a compelling movie villain.

The classic kraven simply makes sense. He is a hunter. Hears of lizard beast in nyc. Comes to nyc to get lizard`s head for his wall. Simple. Easy. Effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"