Life On Mars

BAMFaly

READ MY F*****G SCRIPTURE
Reaction score
So I was thinking: "Um... why is there not a thread on one of the best tv shows around?"

What's everyones theories on the last episode...? Was there still a few unanswered questions? How can Hunt be in Ashes to Ashes if Sam was in a coma? Did you get a lump in your throat when he jumped????

Discuss.

i was thinking in that episode WTF? it was fun because all through the series you think you know whats up and in the end the viewer is the one confused. Is was good:D

I liked how they just switched what was going on a million times in the one episode... genius. Even though he came out of the coma, it wasn't really a happy ending

Yeah, it was down to some very good writing, that all the way through both series I was thinking 'ooh- I hope he gets home!' then in the final episode, when he did, I thought 'noooo'!.

i remember i had some very interesting thoughts on the ending of the series but now most of those have gone and all i remember is the kick ass roof bit with life on mars playing...:csad:

i love that we may not know the entire story of sam until 'ashes to ashes' starts. He's not in it but he is there with the guys at the end. Is it the adventures of the real gene hunt and gang while sam's was in his subconscious. Its still a mystery- does anyone feel they still don't have a grip on what was real?

I think its just open to interpretation to a certain degree.

Though I read someones theory that made me laugh. They said that Gene Hunt was Sam's father, and that his name is literal. Like an actual gene hunt; a hunt for Sam's parentage.

i love that we may not know the entire story of sam until 'ashes to ashes' starts. He's not in it but he is there with the guys at the end. Is it the adventures of the real gene hunt and gang while sam's was in his subconscious. Its still a mystery- does anyone feel they still don't have a grip on what was real?

At the very end of the series when Sam turns off the radio, and then the creepy girl turns of 'our' tv I took that to be Sam dying. But he was happy to.

And Ashes to Ashes is going to be set in the 80's, but in Life on Mars it turns out that Gene Hunt is just in his head... So maybe we will get more out of ashes? Maybe there is some sort of time travel involved???

At the very end of the series when Sam turns off the radio, and then the creepy girl turns of 'our' tv I took that to be Sam dying. But he was happy to.

I also interpreted it that way, especially since the voice on the radio said 'he's slipping away from us..'

from writer Matthew Graham -

The truth is, when I wrote it, what I was trying to say is that’s he’s died, and that for however long that last second of life is going to be, it will stretch out for an age, as an eternity for him. And so when he drives off in that car, he’s really driving off into the afterlife.

Ashes to Ashes will feature Gene Hunt & co. due to the fact that DCI Alex Drake will have apparently spent months pouring over reports logged by Sam Tyler before she has her own accident, which will push her subconscious to use the reports as source material for her own fantasy.

I don't know if im going to like this,i mean won't it be just a re-hash of Life on Mars? Also one of the things that made the show so popular is that it was aimed mostly at men, in a anti-men tv world and having a woman has the main character will dillute the masculinty of the show. I'll still give it a try.

the new series will take place in 1981 by which point Gene Hunt has transferred to the Metropolitan Police in London with Ray and Chris in tow. one of the producers described it as "a touch of Moonlighting teamed with a measure of Miami Vice.".

here's one of my favourite moments from the second series of Life on Mars -

"Listen you, I can just about handle you driving like a pissed-up crackhead and treating women like beanbags, but I'm going to say this once and once only Gene: stay out of Camberwick Green!"

the new series will take place in 1981 by which point Gene Hunt has transferred to the Metropolitan Police in London with Ray and Chris in tow. one of the producers described it as "a touch of Moonlighting teamed with a measure of Miami Vice.".

here's one of my favourite moments from the second series of Life on Mars -

"Listen you, I can just about handle you driving like a pissed-up crackhead and treating women like beanbags, but I'm going to say this once and once only Gene: stay out of Camberwick Green!"

The first five minutes of that episode were fantastic.:woot:

i loved Gene Hunt i thought he was hillarious.

Why? Why? Why would they do that? WHY? It's a very British show, an American version would be completely different... In a bad way.

As for A2A, I've read that when we see Sam recording his experiences and sending it away it's meant to be going to DCI Alex Drake (the character for A2A)... So that could explain why when she is in a coma/sent back in time she also encounters Gene, Ray and Chris.

An American Life On Mars?!

Hmmm, oooook.

I don't like the sound of having a woman for a lead character. I mean, as a woman myself, it may make the program more accessible, but one of the things that made LoM so entertaining was the rampant masculinity, which you just dont see on television anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"