Live-Action Cowboy Bebop

I can definitely see Airbender lasting more than one season. That’s a way bigger property in the States than either Airbender and Cowboy Bebop, and it’s comparatively less expensive to realize than One Piece, and it’s also shorter and already has an ending.

One Piece strikes me as a failure waiting to happen. There’s just no way that show lasts more than one season. Given the fact One Piece isn’t that big a property in the West, and the fact it would be too expensive to realize the later over-the-top elements. When they explore the grand line(which would theoretically be season 2) the crew is encountering stuff like huge whales and giants. Ain’t no way Netflix is throwing that much money on this thing. One Piece will almost certainly be canned after its first season.

I think the one thing that could potentially point to the One Piece adaptation being better is that Oda-Sensei is heavily involved, whereas Shinichiro Watanabe, despite being listed as a “consultant”, wasn’t really involved at all in the live-action Cowboy Bebop. Oda’s not going to be involved in something like that unless he really thinks there’s something to it.

Now, the real question is, if the 1st season of One Piece does really well and gets word of mouth, will Netflix still be willing to invest in and shell out the amount of cash required for all of the crazier stuff that happens in the future arcs? That’s going to be the true test.

This is a pretty good example of why I don't trust streaming numbers that get reported or thrown out there. They are highly misleading and can be used to basically fulfill any narrative you want. One week, a show is getting the best and most streaming views ever. The next week, the show gets cancelled.

Also, something tells me we are never getting the true and accurate numbers. And streaming is just such a different format anyway. It's not the same as watching traditional TV.

I can see it now: the finale of Netflix One Piece: the Straw Hats arrive at Drum Island and we get a glimpse of Chopper from a distance.

Two weeks later: Netflix Cancels One Piece

The only thing worse might be watching the Netflix One Piece series.

Well In can't say I'm surprised by any of this considering I haven't actually heard anyone talk about this show even certain people I follow on YouTube who pretty much watch all the new, popular shows nowadays.

None of them seem to care about this yet Arcane and Chucky are still getting plenty of buzz on there right now. I do wish the show turned out better, but atleast some people here enjoyed it.

TcTKeS3.gif

kinda surprise to see american critics and fans are way more harsher than Japanese fans.

I am not to judge but Japanese overall like or at least appreciate (hence are more forgiving) when Western studios try to adapt their stories. They always look at it from distance and observe what is "their perspective" on this source material.

So it doesnt make it right or wrong. Same goes for video games, for instance when western studio made Ghost of Tsushima. You will see how much appreciation they have for game, not because of game itself, mechanics of it etc., but because western studio was interested in making japanese game itself and it's history portray of how Western audience see that era of Japan.

Thing is that game is actually good. This show adaptation, well...I am yet to watch it. So Ill keep my opinion till then.
Here’s a pretty good vid about the Japanese reactions to the now cancelled show.

This is a pretty good example of why I don't trust streaming numbers that get reported or thrown out there. They are highly misleading and can be used to basically fulfill any narrative you want. One week, a show is getting the best and most streaming views ever. The next week, the show gets cancelled.

Also, something tells me we are never getting the true and accurate numbers. And streaming is just such a different format anyway. It's not the same as watching traditional TV.
Both can be true to certain degree. I think many people checked it out on release just out curiosity. So numbers and viewership were likely solid on first few episodes. I guess many by end of last few episodes droped the show.

Tip it together with criticism of the show, lack of buzz, hype and demand for new season it's no wonder Netflix canceled it.

Writing Raganrok is meaningless. It clearly is a lot of improv by way of TW.

To offer a bit of a counter, Christopher Yost has a lot of of good credits to his name, namely X-Men and Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. The man’s not a slouch, so I don’t think the fault lies with him.

If anything, I think the lion’s share of the blame for the terrible writing, characterization and the cringey, quipy and Whedony writing goes to Andre Nemec and Josh Applebaum, who, funnily enough, also worked on the recent live action TMNT movies, which share more than enough DNA with the weird, wacky tone, juvenile humor and other writing sins of this adaptation. They didn’t write the show, but I’m sure they definitely had a lot of say and influence in its look and feel.

Both can be true to certain degree. I think many people checked it out on release just out curiosity. So numbers and viewership were likely solid on first few episodes. I guess many by end of last few episodes droped the show.

Tip it together with criticism of the show, lack of buzz, hype and demand for new season it's no wonder Netflix canceled it.

Except they have it in Top 10 viewership and all that. To me this is just evidence that all those numbers are ultimately meaningless or they are exaggerated and trumped up. I simply don't trust their rankings or whatever numbers they release at this point.

To offer a bit of a counter, Christopher Yost has a lot of of good credits to his name, namely X-Men and Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. The man’s not a slouch, so I don’t think the fault lies with him.

If anything, I think the lion’s share of the blame for the terrible writing, characterization and the cringey, quipy and Whedony writing goes to Andre Nemec and Josh Applebaum, who, funnily enough, also worked on the recent live action TMNT movies, which share more than enough DNA with the weird, wacky tone, juvenile humor and other writing sins of this adaptation. They didn’t write the show, but I’m sure they definitely had a lot of say and influence in its look and feel.
Everyone involved is reasonable for this. He has great writing credits for Star Wars Rebels. He also has a writing credit on TDW. There is no reason to think he's close to infallible.

Except they have it in Top 10 viewership and all that. To me this is just evidence that all those numbers are ultimately meaningless or they are exaggerated and trumped up. I simply don't trust their rankings or whatever numbers they release at this point.
Something can be in the Top 10 early, because it's the only major new release out. It can then fall off a cliff, especially if people stop after a few episodes. Your conspiracy theory ignores the obvious here. Streaming can be front loaded just like movies released in theaters. No one can ever take away BvS's big opening day. It also then fell off a cliff, because everyone who wanted to see it, got in early, and most were not recommending it.

The Hollywood Reporter said it had a big launch but then viewership dropped 59% on week 2. I watched one episode and quit. I imagine many others did the same. That's why it's cancelled.

Given the costs, especially with the delay with Cho's injury, and given how hard they pushed it, it was clear that Netflix had higher expectations for this than most others of its shows. I'm sure their numbers are not up to their expectations. Which probably reinforced a lot of the internet narrative.

It is what it is.

[goes to watch Warrior Nun season 1 again]

Hope this cancellation makes Netflix think twice about trying YuYu Hakusho.

Just leave it alone.

what did critics and audiences think of Cho's performance?

This was his biggest role ever right?

The Hollywood Reporter said it had a big launch but then viewership dropped 59% on week 2. I watched one episode and quit. I imagine many others did the same. That's why it's cancelled.

Once again why the streaming numbers that get put out or reported can't be trusted.

Hope this cancellation makes Netflix think twice about trying YuYu Hakusho.

Just leave it alone.

That's not happening. Also, the YuYu Hakusho series is a completely Japanese production. It's going to have a fraction of the budget of a show like Bebop. It's basically Netflix is going to pay to have it on their service and dub it into English.

Given the costs, especially with the delay with Cho's injury, and given how hard they pushed it, it was clear that Netflix had higher expectations for this than most others of its shows. I'm sure their numbers are not up to their expectations. Which probably reinforced a lot of the internet narrative.

It is what it is.

[goes to watch Warrior Nun season 1 again]

Good riddance to this terrible show and idea. You can't improve on perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"