Live-Action Cowboy Bebop

'Cowboy Bebop' Live-Action Series Reportedly Starts Production this Summer

Cowboy Bebop fans got the surprise announcement of the year last year when it was revealed that the in the works live-action series would be coming to Netflix,and while there has yet to be an announcement of when fans could expect the series, it will reportedly begin its production this Summer.

As reported by Production Weekly, Cowboy Bebop's live-action series is currently eyeing a start of production on July 20 and is currently scouting out locations in New Zealand, Australia, Spain, and South Africa.

Unfortunately while there are not too many other clues behind the production of the series, the report provides an idea of what fans can expect from the live-action series as it includes a synopsis that reads as such, "In a distant future where resources are sparse and space travel leads to new lawless frontiers, a pair of bounty hunters are in need of a big break. Begrudgingly teaming up with their competition, a small crew aboard the B EBOP find themselves chasing down a high profiled target while avoiding mega-powerful businessmen and a violent crime syndicate."

Curious that there's no Ed casting as of yet, but she shows up later on in the series compared to the others, so I guess we'll get that at a later date. But yeah, solid casting. John Cho's gonna need to grow out that hair to give us Spike-quality hair.

EDIT: Okay, briefly thinking about it, two names came to mind for Ed: Clare Foley (young Ivy on Gotham), or Sadie Sink (Max on Stranger Things).

Last edited:
I really like the cast! The only actor I'm not familiar with is Alex Hassell.

John Cho is a really interesting choice indeed, and after his stellar performance in Searching I'm not going to bet against him. I wasn't expecting them to go this old for Spike, but man now I'm even more curious about this and hopefully it turns out to be great.

I always thought of Spike as someone with more sex appeal. John Cho just doesn't give me that Spike vibe, but he's a talented actor.

Curious that there's no Ed casting as of yet, but she shows up later on in the series compared to the others, so I guess we'll get that at a later date. But yeah, solid casting. John Cho's gonna need to grow out that hair to give us Spike-quality hair.

EDIT: Okay, briefly thinking about it, two names came to mind for Ed: Clare Foley (young Ivy on Gotham), or Sadie Sink (Max on Stranger Things).

That's a legit cast right there. Cho as Spike is a W.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think the whole show itself is a tragedy. That being said, Spike in the original was 27 years old. John Cho is 46.

Also, he's no longer Spike Spiegel.

That being said, Asians and Asian Americans have been marginalized so much in Hollywood films and TV shows, I guess we can hardly complain when it goes the other way for once.

I'm just not understanding why they went Latin for Faye Valentine, when it's made pretty clear in the show that she's Singaporean. Meaning you would've wanted an Asian or Asian American as Faye...

Bigger tragedy - showrunners. I'm not seeing anything on Cho not being Spike. Everyone is reporting he was cast in the role.

I'm either way about FV. Asian or not, as long as she's pretty and has similar looks.

Love John Cho but not sure how good this will be. Anime adaptations still suck but maybe Netflix can finally make a decent one.

Love John Cho but not sure how good this will be. Anime adaptations still suck but maybe Netflix can finally make a decent one.

They haven't made a decent one yet.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Yost, but I'm still uneasy about this.

John Cho on Heritage, Hashtags and Hollywood’s Surprises

Your “Cowboy Bebop” announcement pretty much broke the internet.

It’s really blown my mind to realize that there’s so many fans of it out there because it’s just one of these things that for some reason I had never crossed paths with.

Are you mastering Jeet Kune Do for the role?

I’m trying to get in shape for this — that’s where I was this morning. I want a functional martial arts body. I want my legs to really do those things. I’ve only done this in earnest once before, for “Star Trek,” and I found the discipline of learning a martial art great for the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"