Lois and... Lex? Should Clark&\S/ be the only to see Lex for who he is at first?

I don' know if it can be quantified as most or some.

I don't think DavidTyler was talking about the test tube baby or cold Krypton.

These ideas were not my cup of tea either.

No idea how/why one would even bother making Superman a tubie.

Some of the Byrne idea I do like. Corporate Lex is a good one IMHO.

Corporate Lex was created by Wolfman as a ripoff of Kingpin and Justin Hammer. Maggin created Lexcorp which Wolfman stole the credit and the money for. What Byrne did that stuck was Clark as the real person (a betrayal of Siegel and Shuster), lower power level, more Marvelized slugfests, Lana knowing he is Clark and Ma and Pa Kent still alive. What didn't stick was cold Krypton, test tube baby Superman, no Superboy, no other Kryptonians, and the power changes like how they made Superman a tk/psionic powered character (invulnerability aura, moving weights with a forcefield aura, etc) and not a physical powerhouse. Johns seems to be splitting the difference with most things, which will either make a good compromise or just make everyone mad.

I don't care for Wolfman's writing either, although at least he writes on a readable level unlike Byrne. Most of the Byrne ideas you mention are generally seen as failures as they have all been rejected and replaced, like his cold Krypton and test tube baby Superman. I was very very glad to see that those ideas failed and were abandoned.

And your failed interpretation of Maggin's Luthor is just obscene. You need to reread his writing. I will say Corporate Lex is a better villain, but not a more developed or 3 dimensional character. He has little depth beyond being a ruthless manipulator and he is basically a soap opera type continuing villain. Not to mention Superman's inability to stop him for years made Supes look ineffective. He's just a skinnier Kingpin/Justin Hammer clone. But as I said, I accept him, because if you're a purist Superman fan you expect to put up with ****.

UH..... EXCUSE ME?!!!

Lex in his prison cell talking to Superman who came to enlist his aid responds by putting his foot up on a stool and pretends to tie the one still on the floor to demonstrate how a Kryptonian ties a shoe.... Yeah... I remember it really well. It was not the brightest moment in that book. I love that book and think the world of Maggin but it's not something I would overlook.

I'm not sure how I feel about Lois being into Luthor. However, if she, along with the rest of Metropolis, loves Luthor (whether it's actual attraction on her part, or just admiration) and then Superman shows up and steals that from him, it would be a nice parallel that gives the loss of admiration an added personal aspect for Luthor.

I think Lois should be trying to expose Luthor. I suppose that could stem from something Luthor did to her when he lost that admiration or attraction.

I'd like to see Clark playing the nieve country boy who is hesitant to buy into what Lois is telling him, and wants to believe Luthor is a good man trying to help people. Whether he actually believes that could go ether way. Either he really believes Lois right off the bat, or he ends up having to find out first hand that Luthor is evil. The interesting thing there would be that Luthor himself should genuinely believe he is just trying to help humanity.

I realize that might be my love of geeky Clark coming out, and may not fit well in a Clark based on the Byrne era, but I can't help what I like.

I would prefer they not go that route. After all, what does it say about Lois personally or professionally if she's enamored with someone like Lex Flippin' Luthor? She's a journalist.

I'd also like having Luthor be a vocal opponent to Superman in the media. He could write off anything Lois has to say about him as attempts to pull him through the mud because he doesn't like The Planet's best buddy Superman. He should engineer whatever major foe Superman had to go up against, but it shouldn't be relieved outright that he's behind it until late in the movie. He should also get away with it, at least legally, until possible sequals. Obviously whatever scheme he uses against Superman wouldn't suceed, which would allow Superman the victory, but still build Luthor into the strong character and major intelectial threat he should be.

I would prefer they not go that route. After all, what does it say about Lois personally or professionally if she's enamored with someone like Lex Flippin' Luthor? She's a journalist.

That's the thing, though. If they went that route, Luthor would have to be believed by everyone to be an upstanding citizen who strives in numerous ways to better the city and the world. As soon as Lois finds anything different, she hates the guy. At least in my scenario.

i would like to see luthor as loved by the citizens of metropolis and out in the public he puts on the show of being a great caring man. But behind closed doors he is the ruthless evil man. Who has his hands in all evil things happening. As for lois and lex sure i wouldnt like them to be in a relationship. its an area they could play with. But dont really need to get into it. As for clark it would probably work out better if he too thinks like the rest of the city luthor is a good guy. But through the film clark discovers the connections to lex/lexcorp on all the dirty deeds going on. Then clark is the one who is trying to take down luthor and maybe get lois on his side. But with all his power lex is "untouchable" and clark cant take him down just yet. But then we have superman confront lex and we go superman knows lex is bad, lex pretty much shows it with superman, and go from there.

naw, there should be no lois and lex then going on... but superman should be the only one to see who lex RLY is. and the flick should start off w/lex giving his innaugaration speech at the white house imo. and on a fanboy note: bruce willis should play lex luthor. he has the look imo, and bruce rarely plays a bad guy. this would be a gr8 oppurtunity. anyways, just my 2 cents.

UH..... EXCUSE ME?!!!

Lex in his prison cell talking to Superman who came to enlist his aid responds by putting his foot up on a stool and pretends to tie the one still on the floor to demonstrate how a Kryptonian ties a shoe.... Yeah... I remember it really well. It was not the brightest moment in that book. I love that book and think the world of Maggin but it's not something I would overlook.

Having an incredibly sarcastic sense of humor because he considers himself superior to the rest of the world doesn't make Luthor a comedian. It makes him a bitter prick, which is what he is.

Corporate Lex was created by Wolfman as a ripoff of Kingpin and Justin Hammer. Maggin created Lexcorp which Wolfman stole the credit and the money for. What Byrne did that stuck was Clark as the real person (a betrayal of Siegel and Shuster), lower power level, more Marvelized slugfests, Lana knowing he is Clark and Ma and Pa Kent still alive. What didn't stick was cold Krypton, test tube baby Superman, no Superboy, no other Kryptonians, and the power changes like how they made Superman a tk/psionic powered character (invulnerability aura, moving weights with a forcefield aura, etc) and not a physical powerhouse. Johns seems to be splitting the difference with most things, which will either make a good compromise or just make everyone mad.

i think that's the best way to go because people for a while forgot that Luthor is a scientist.

I still the worst version of Luthor is Gene Hackman's. It's one of those portrayals I've accepted because I like Hackman as an actor and Superman: The Movie is a bonafide classic but..yeah. pretty goofy in retrosect. That's why I give the Kevin Spacy Luthor such a hard time, as most people did.

They could also do it another way, and have Luthor actually have a good side to him, like he used to. Then others could like him without seeming like oblivious idiots. Especially in Lois' case, who's supposed to be a crack investigative journalist.

They could also do it another way, and have Luthor actually have a good side to him, like he used to. Then others could like him without seeming like oblivious idiots. Especially in Lois' case, who's supposed to be a crack investigative journalist.

I could see that. I would like to Luthor to have done a lot for humanity, curing diseases, donating to charities, contributing to various technological advances. I think his reasons behind doing these things are less than pure, though. I like the Luthor who thinks if Superman never showed up, he would have fixed all of humanities problems himself. It's not really mentioned what his motivations were before Superman showed up though. Why was he doing all this stuff in the first place. I guess lust for power is the usual explination, but I wouldn't mind having there be some threads of a legitimate desire to better humanity, or, on more of an emo note, be excepted.

PERSONALLY......

I've always thought the one person who see's through the Lex Luthor's act should be Lois Lane. I obviously want Lex Luthor to be the coporate, LexCorp owning Lex Luthor, but I do want politician Lex Luthor to be there as well as I feel the President Lex Luthor storyline should be adapted over the course of a franchise. Lex should be the hero of Metropolis, right up there with Superman in the eyes of many with the only person who can see him for what he really is being Lois Lane. It would be Lois who convinces Clark/Superman that Lex is a bad, bad person.

THIS.

How can Lex betray Superman if Clark never trusts the guy?

I want Lois to like Lex at the same time she likes superman, then i want her to slowly pick up on the idea of Clark as potential lover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"