Should Lois and Clark end up together, and when should Lois know the secret?

Aww. :O

I think there's room in Superman for a touch of romcom mixed in with all the big action set pieces. It'd certainly be more entertaining than the whole creepy stalker thing from SR.

Why would Lois think Clark was Superman at all? Sure they look the same, but I could easily imagine a scene like this:

Clark: You know I'm as tall as Superman.

Lois: What? No you're not Clark, Superman is clearly two or three inches taller than you. I mean you're tall and all, but Superman is huge.

Clark: Now Lois, I'm every bit as well built as Superman.

Lois: Oh come on Clark, face it, you're not Superman. That doesn't mean you're not a great guy and all, but you're not Superman.

People tend to build up heroes in their mind to be more than they are and he image always makes the people they know look small. That's why Clark can hide in plain sight: everyone "knows" Superman is much taller and more muscular than Clark.

Why would Lois think Clark was Superman at all? Sure they look the same, but I could easily imagine a scene like this:

Clark: You know I'm as tall as Superman.

Lois: What? No you're not Clark, Superman is clearly two or three inches taller than you. I mean you're tall and all, but Superman is huge.

Clark: Now Lois, I'm every bit as well built as Superman.

Lois: Oh come on Clark, face it, you're not Superman. That doesn't mean you're not a great guy and all, but you're not Superman.

People tend to build up heroes in their mind to be more than they are and he image always makes the people they know look small. That's why Clark can hide in plain sight: everyone "knows" Superman is much taller and more muscular than Clark.

Exactly, clark can be a big dude, easy reason for it why others at the planet don't even think of it; hes a farm kid, and it fits the farm kid stereotype.

That, and most people would get the impression that Superman colossal like he is 7ft tall and 350 pounds. Even though he is not "that big", they assume some mythic titan because of the way they build their heroes up mentaly.

That, and he does not wear a mask, it looks like there is nothing to hide.

Because of his speed and being anywhere so fast, it gives the impression he is always superman.

With Batman it is different, he shows no superpowers and he wears a mask. People will try to find out who he is.

With Superman, there is the impression that he is always superman, fulltime. No reason to look for a secret identity if they don't even think he has anything else to do than be superman.

I think an important part of they dynamic is for Superman to want Lois to love him as Clark. Being that deep down he sees himself as the man he was raised as. Clark is who he is on the inside, and superman is what he can do on the outside.

Ultimately it is like a profoundly rich man in love, who wants a woman to love him for himself and not just his fortune. For Superman, that means he wants someone to love Clark for who he is as man, not just the mythic demigod.

It is only once Lois falls for Clark that she can ever truly have Superman. Therefor showing a slow and building relationship between Lois and Clark, as she first sees him as the big redneck farm kid, who is out of place in the city and naive.

Once she learns he is a very competent reporter she then perceives him as a threat to her position, and then later as they are assigned to work together the charm and good nature of the "big farm kid" eventually has some effect on her.

As Clark related to her, Clark is not a love sick puppy dog either (those guys never get the girl in real life, sorry), and not the kind of guy that drives a woman away by being to eager to please. He is not too nice either, but rather a competitor who she has to work with. Clark would do those annoying things like getting the scoop before her, and not letting her forget it, which just eats her.

Eventually they will be assigned something they have to work on together, and she will fall for him. When she sees him as an equal, and even as a guy who gets under her skin, and makes her mad about it too, then she will fall for him.

Especially when she gets mad at him over jelousy:

"hes always getting the scoop on me, hes always on time, never missspells anything, and he too fast at typing! way too confident! that prick!"

, when her emotions get charged like that, for some odd reason, this is what will give her the push toward him.

OR, when that is how she now sees him, and something unfortunate happens to her, bad situation, but that is NOT a job for superman.

Rather the kind of thing that takes the help of someone that really cares for her, and he offers her the help, being the most unlikely person, and even one that she is jealous of, he does not seem like the "nice guy" at all in her head, but yet he is the only one there to help her out in what feels like situation that no-one else cares. That could also spark her romantic intrigue.

The bottom line is that it has to be a relationship with Lois and Clark, she needs to love Clark before they can be together.
Some good stuff there, also what frodo said was very good things too i think. Also the comparison stuff with you guys above sound good and a reasonable play they could have clark doing or lois saying lol.

My like or dislike is not irrelevant when it is influenced by Superman's history, and the successful treatment of male/female interractions in fiction, particularly in the action/adventure genre.

That there has been a realtionship between the two is undeniable, but to state as you do, that it has always been through 70 years an intimate, doe-eyed, puppy-dog romance is incorrect. That part of the mythos is fairly recent. It has for a large part of Superman's history been a professional relationship between Lois and Clark, and an underlying but unrealized attraction for Lois and Superman. That is what I prefer, but it is a preference based on an iteration of the tale that populates a preponderance of Superman's history.

You favor a romance and you certainly are entitled to your preference it has become a part of the mythos, but don't dismiss those that are indifferent, based on misinformation regarding the history of Superman.

great post AFan, totally agree. They should be friends, they should be colleagues, and they should have sexual tension... but something should always stand in the way of the love triangle becoming a couple.

secondly, to the person who wrote 'in the last film they should get together'. This is a franchise, and a 'last' film is always an undetermined element. 3 is average, but the franchise, if it is good, could do trek or bond numbers in sequels.

IMO the superman franchise should be treated ala Bond. A forward moving narrative that doesn't pigeon hole subsequent sequels by leaving things like 'jason' or Superman and Lois as a couple. This allows the story to go on as it was meant to, without the need for retconning or rebooting.

that would be interesting if these hero films like spider-man, batman, superman could be more like the bond series and people open with a new guy coming in after 3-5 films and then the next one comes in, might have some villains reused here and there, well getting others who still havent had the chance on the big screen.

NO NO NO. Once they get together, the franchise jumps the shark. She should find out, but the reality that they live in should always keep them apart.

This. Clark and Lois should never end up together...if Batman realizes that trying to protect a city means no permanent girlfriend, Superman should realize the same thing, especially since he watches over the whole world

It's popular to bash Donner right now, but one of the things he got right was the sense of responsibility Supes had to the world, and how that should come before personal desire

This. Clark and Lois should never end up together...if Batman realizes that trying to protect a city means no permanent girlfriend, Superman should realize the same thing, especially since he watches over the whole world

It's popular to bash Donner right now, but one of the things he got right was the sense of responsibility Supes had to the world, and how that should come before personal desire

Thats Batman.

Superman should be different. In the comics Clark and Lois have been married for years, and has not hurt anything.

Thats Batman.

Superman should be different. In the comics Clark and Lois have been married for years, and has not hurt anything.

Not really. Batman dosent get involved because hes an emotional wreck. I just think Supes wouldnt get involved because he knows the many complications of being with a human.

well with superman growing up as a human he probably wants to have that companionship and love for a time. Bats is totally in a different mindset. Doesnt he push away love when ever he had the chance at it with various characters like tala or salina, etc.....

Yeah he does push Catwoman and Talia away emotionally, and that also has to do with theme being on opposite sides of the law. Depending on which version you're talking , Bruce's entire goal is to be Batman and to keep Gotham safe with romance not really being an option. As Bruce Wayne he dates and may even have a steady girlfriend , but his heart is really in the mission.

Now in various films you'll have Bruce wanting to give up the mantle for love but for the most part he's married to concept of Batman.

Clark is different. He longs for relationships . The issue for him is usually how to go about it even though he Superman. He knows there are risks but he doesn't shut himself off from his feelings .He to has a goal, but he believes there can be a balance between the two.

Batman and Superman are really two polar opposites. They may have the same goals but they view the pathway to those goals through very different lenses.

I never like the idea of Clark & Lois being together. I like how in the old days, Lois just isn't interest in Clark, her co-worker. I has no problem liking him as Supes. Just not her co-worker.

Wow, I can't believe this thread is still near the top of the board.

Not for the movies in my opinion. I think most people know the Lois and Clark relationship as a budding romance. Have all the movies have that sexual tension, but I would prefer them being apart.

This "everyone knows it so they don't need to see it" argument is getting tired, and now I see that it's being brought out for aspects of Superman's mythology beyond just his origin.

"Superman's origin? Everyone knows it, leave it out!"
"Lois and Clark's romance? Everyone knows it, leave it out!"
"Superman flying? Everyone knows it, leave it out!"
"The blue tights and red undies? Everyone knows it, leave it out!"

Just what do people want in the Superman reboot if they don't seem to want anything other than Superman fighting aliens and robots? :o

well with superman growing up as a human he probably wants to have that companionship and love for a time. Bats is totally in a different mindset. Doesnt he push away love when ever he had the chance at it with various characters like tala or salina, etc.....

There you go. While clark would definetely acknowledge his feelings, IMO, he damn sure wouldnt end up marrying her. He knows thats unfair to her...

That's not what happened in the comcis, though.

Saying Superman would never marry Lois because he cares about her too much assumes that Superman thinks with cold logic.

He doesn't. He's too human to do so.

Last edited:
Totally like how do we know this superman wont be different and could have a loving relationship with lois/others. Then later on if he finds out due to his powers he is pretty much going to be imortal for at least a good few centuries. Then maybe his ideals on love/relationships would change. But if he thinks he is pretty much just human and has the powers(knows he is an alien) but doesnt know he will live forever pretty much it does change the game plan there with love and relationships.

They've been married for over 10 years in current comic continuity. It's the status quo that's not likely to be changed. There's no reason this should not be reflected in a film. Why not start off with an established Superman who's already married to Lois. It would be something completely different from all the other Superman films.

that would be different and interesting to go with an established superman/lois-clark relationship. But then as good as that would be. Some fans would probably like to see how all these things happened and rather start from the begining then being at the middle of things and possibly not getting to see how certain things happened.

that would be different and interesting to go with an established superman/lois-clark relationship. But then as good as that would be. Some fans would probably like to see how all these things happened and rather start from the begining then being at the middle of things and possibly not getting to see how certain things happened.

Much like the non-linear origin ideas tossed about, the non-linear relationship plot line could also be utilized.

I think to really do something different you need to think non-linearly in terms of story and try and not just start over with the reboot, but tell a story in a different way and include things we haven't seen before.

I have no problems with an origin film, but there are a lot of pitfalls in doing a straight forward take on it. There's too much chance of rehashing Donner's S:TM and the Lois/Clark/Superman triangle would be in jeopardy of being rehashed as well. That's why I think whatever the next Superman film is it needs to include lots of things we've not seen in a film so far.

Having an established Superman and married Superman/Lois Lane is one possibility. This doesn't mean that how they got that way can't be part of non-linear storytelling. That would be a huge shock for the GA if the film started with the couple married.

oh totally i am open to any way to tell the origin and start points for things in a reboot. Be that a straight a to b to c telling, to flashbacks, to what other ways. I just wouldnt want ot just start in the middle of the story and not learn how this superman came to be, why he is superman, how he came up with his secret id and then origins of villains and all that.

oh totally i am open to any way to tell the origin and start points for things in a reboot. Be that a straight a to b to c telling, to flashbacks, to what other ways. I just wouldnt want ot just start in the middle of the story and not learn how this superman came to be, why he is superman, how he came up with his secret id and then origins of villains and all that.

icon14.gif

I want to see one or two very small moments where Clark says or does something for Lois that she almost lets herself show interest, but she quickly pulls back because she does not want to date someone from work and she now has an interest in Superman. She should not know he is Superman, but I want to see her build a separate interest in Clark where ultimately she would choose him over Superman in future films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"