Should Lois and Clark end up together, and when should Lois know the secret?

NotFadeAway

Superhero
Reaction score
Two questions, obviously....

1. Should Lois and Clark ever be a couple on a long term basis by the end of a hopefull new contiunity? I'm torn over this, because I can picture Supes being selfless and telling Lois to find someone she can grow old with.

2. When should Lois discover tha Clark and Superman are the same? I'm thinking the sooner the better, that way we can get to the good stuff. I'd have Lois find this out at end of the orign movie, creating yet another way for the new film to stand apart from the Donner/Reeve movie.

Well here's what I would do

1) I'd have them end up together i.e a couple in film 3 assuming we have a trilogy reboot. I'd strecth the romance out over 3 films as opposed to shoe horning it in film 1 and having it be tired by 3. I'd like to see their relationship really blossom so it's something people can anticapate. Have the characters really fight to be together against all odds . That way there's a real pay off for the audience who's watched their romance grow and change for 3 films.

2) I wouldn't have her find out until film four. It seems to me the original Superman films and Lois and Clark ran out of steam after Lois found out the truth . Part of the dynamic which makes the Superman/Clark/Lois triangle work imo is the fact that she doesn't know. If she does find out, it should be in the last film in the series is . That way it's sort of a bookend.

These are my suggestions , but overall I think the answer to both questions : yes, but not in the first two films.

That is a tough thing to decide on. Though i rather take frodo's 1st choice myself.

1. Yes and I like the idea of them growing together over three films. I think Lois should fall for SM in #1, fall for Clark in #2.
2. I think Lois should find out that Clark and SM are one in the same person in the second film and this lead to them becoming a couple. I would have them get together at the end of the second film or during the first of the third film at the latest.

I agree with Frodo-- it should be a courtship spanning 3 films that is fulfilled in the third. The first movie should have a lot of foreshadowing and some flirting between Lois and Clark / Superman. The second movie should have them actually kiss, and Lois could learn his identity. In the third movie, they are together, Lois knows his identity, and maybe at the end Clark proposes to her.

They will have to end up as a married couple its been written about for years, by then end of the next series, they will be married.

I think she should find out during the 2nd film and see how she does/doesn't cope with it .. but in the end they get married and have that super baby.

As long as the romance doesn't drag on too much and take away from some action then its ok, the last film, while the romance and chemistry was good it also seemed to drag on.

1. No.

2.Never. Tho' Lois always is suspicious, something always convinces her that a Clark/Superman duplicity is..... "the craziest idea she's ever had!"

Not for the movies in my opinion. I think most people know the Lois and Clark relationship as a budding romance. Have all the movies have that sexual tension, but I would prefer them being apart.

Two questions, obviously....

1. Should Lois and Clark ever be a couple on a long term basis by the end of a hopefull new contiunity? I'm torn over this, because I can picture Supes being selfless and telling Lois to find someone she can grow old with.

2. When should Lois discover tha Clark and Superman are the same? I'm thinking the sooner the better, that way we can get to the good stuff. I'd have Lois find this out at end of the orign movie, creating yet another way for the new film to stand apart from the Donner/Reeve movie.

1. Yes, basically from minute one.

2. She'd already know when the first movie starts.

1) Yeah, but I'd probably save any form of consummation of their relationship for the end of the third or fourth film (in my reboot concept of four films, it would probably cap the fourth since that's the one where I'd do the whole Doomsday/Death and Return thing, which would bring it to a parallel of sorts with what happened in the comics).

2) She should suspect from the end of the first film on. I can honestly say that one of the tropes of the Superman franchise as a whole that I don't care for anymore is that perpetual moment at the story's end where Lois realizes that Clark's never around when Superman is...but then writes it off with the obligatory "Pfft, Lois Lane, that's the most ridiculous idea you've ever had!" to herself.

My idea was basically that she doesn't automatically fall in love with Superman when they first meet; that's something that happens over the course of the next two films so that by the time she DOES find out for certain that he's really Clark, by THAT point she's so taken by him (and has come to realize that Clark actually isn't quite the schmuck she initially took him for) she just can't bring herself to file what could be the biggest story of her career, akin to what happened between Lois and Bruce in the DCAU.

Lois and Clark should be a couple and Lois should know the secret. One of the best things Busiek did in "Superman: Secret Identity" is to show that Clark wouldn't keep his secret from Lois if he really loved her.

well if we start fresh and its a origin take lois shouldnt know to soon. I would like to see the budding romance and clark like lois/lois doesnt care much for him/but is more taken by superman aspect seen more in a film series.

I want a serious take on the mythology. So I want a nod to the whole "Nah, he's not Superman" angle, but I don't want it staying that way. It's one thing in the comics, where you have issue after issue after issue to play with that angle and slowly develop it. As far as I'm concerned, she should see right through him by the end of the second film, and go the "Was a pair of glasses really supposed to fool me?" route. The third film could deal with issues they then face as a couple, not that the first two films wouldn't as well. I'd have him propose at the end of the third film, reconciling the whole "Can I be with her?" bit.

Well here's what I would do

1) I'd have them end up together i.e a couple in film 3 assuming we have a trilogy reboot. I'd strecth the romance out over 3 films as opposed to shoe horning it in film 1 and having it be tired by 3. I'd like to see their relationship really blossom so it's something people can anticapate. Have the characters really fight to be together against all odds . That way there's a real pay off for the audience who's watched their romance grow and change for 3 films.

2) I wouldn't have her find out until film four. It seems to me the original Superman films and Lois and Clark ran out of steam after Lois found out the truth . Part of the dynamic which makes the Superman/Clark/Lois triangle work imo is the fact that she doesn't know. If she does find out, it should be in the last film in the series is . That way it's sort of a bookend.

These are my suggestions , but overall I think the answer to both questions : yes, but not in the first two films.

NO NO NO. Once they get together, the franchise jumps the shark. She should find out, but the reality that they live in should always keep them apart.

NO NO NO. Once they get together, the franchise jumps the shark. She should find out, but the reality that they live in should always keep them apart.

I don't know if i'd go as far as reality always keeping them apart though I think that concept as an barrier to the two of them being together. I agree with you in that once Lois finds out it's usually a jump the shark moment i.e Lois and Clark , Superman 2 and SV. Then the producers scramble to find a way to unring that bell. That's why if it were up to me she would out it in the last film.

Should Lois and Clark end up together, and when should Lois know the secret?

Of Course they should, their destined to be together . :super: The first movie is the origin , So Lois should find out in the second film, making the third film about the wedding .

Last edited:
Of Course they should, their destined to be together . :super: The first movie is the origin , So Lois should find out in the second film, making the third film about the wedding .

I have absolutely no interest in seeing a Superman trilogy effort that details the romance of Lois and Clark.

Dating in the first
engagement at the end of the second
marriage in the third
since this not a origin this could work

I have absolutely no interest in seeing a Superman trilogy effort that details the romance of Lois and Clark.

supermanloiscolorsbydas.jpg

Whether you like it or not is irrelevant . The Lois & Clark dynamic is a huge part of the Superman mythology (They been together for 70 years in the comic universe.) Before Lois knew the real truth about The Man Of Steel. Their existed an epic legendary love triangle . Which became an integral part of the classic Superman mythology. "A love triangle built for two” between Lois Lane, Superman, & Clark Kent .

This formula has be recycled countless times over the last 70 years of the characters existence . It's my all time favorite love story in pop culture . I never get tired of seeing a new interpretation of this Iconic super couple that are destined for each other .

You need to have that dynamic in the lois and clark and the lois superman relationship and all that.

Kal-El 8 said:
Whether you like it or not is irrelevant . The Lois & Clark dynamic is a huge part of the Superman mythology (They been together for 70 years in the comic universe.) Before Lois knew the real truth about The Man Of Steel. Their existed an epic legendary love triangle . Which became an integral part of the classic Superman mythology. "A love triangle built for two” between Lois Lane, Superman, & Clark Kent .

This formula has be recycled countless times over the last 70 years of the characters existence . It's my all time favorite love story in pop culture . I never get tired of seeing a new interpretation of this Iconic super couple that are destined for each other .

My like or dislike is not irrelevant when it is influenced by Superman's history, and the successful treatment of male/female interractions in fiction, particularly in the action/adventure genre.

That there has been a realtionship between the two is undeniable, but to state as you do, that it has always been through 70 years an intimate, doe-eyed, puppy-dog romance is incorrect. That part of the mythos is fairly recent. It has for a large part of Superman's history been a professional relationship between Lois and Clark, and an underlying but unrealized attraction for Lois and Superman. That is what I prefer, but it is a preference based on an iteration of the tale that populates a preponderance of Superman's history.

You favor a romance and you certainly are entitled to your preference it has become a part of the mythos, but don't dismiss those that are indifferent, based on misinformation regarding the history of Superman.

Last edited:
I think an important part of they dynamic is for Superman to want Lois to love him as Clark. Being that deep down he sees himself as the man he was raised as. Clark is who he is on the inside, and superman is what he can do on the outside.

Ultimately it is like a profoundly rich man in love, who wants a woman to love him for himself and not just his fortune. For Superman, that means he wants someone to love Clark for who he is as man, not just the mythic demigod.

It is only once Lois falls for Clark that she can ever truly have Superman. Therefor showing a slow and building relationship between Lois and Clark, as she first sees him as the big redneck farm kid, who is out of place in the city and naive.

Once she learns he is a very competent reporter she then perceives him as a threat to her position, and then later as they are assigned to work together the charm and good nature of the "big farm kid" eventually has some effect on her.

As Clark related to her, Clark is not a love sick puppy dog either (those guys never get the girl in real life, sorry), and not the kind of guy that drives a woman away by being to eager to please. He is not too nice either, but rather a competitor who she has to work with. Clark would do those annoying things like getting the scoop before her, and not letting her forget it, which just eats her.

Eventually they will be assigned something they have to work on together, and she will fall for him. When she sees him as an equal, and even as a guy who gets under her skin, and makes her mad about it too, then she will fall for him.

Especially when she gets mad at him over jelousy:

"hes always getting the scoop on me, hes always on time, never missspells anything, and he too fast at typing! way too confident! that prick!"

, when her emotions get charged like that, for some odd reason, this is what will give her the push toward him.

OR, when that is how she now sees him, and something unfortunate happens to her, bad situation, but that is NOT a job for superman.

Rather the kind of thing that takes the help of someone that really cares for her, and he offers her the help, being the most unlikely person, and even one that she is jealous of, he does not seem like the "nice guy" at all in her head, but yet he is the only one there to help her out in what feels like situation that no-one else cares. That could also spark her romantic intrigue.

The bottom line is that it has to be a relationship with Lois and Clark, she needs to love Clark before they can be together.

The romance is essiantial to the overall story arch . I think the question becomes how it's executed. I think any new film is gonna have to explore what draws these two people together beyond the myths that says they should be together.

I'd take a realistic approach to the whole triangle. Personally , I don't wanna see Lois being reduced to a goofy child when she's in Superman's pressence. At the same time , I wouldn't want it to be so easy for Clark to be in a romantic triangle.

I'd like to see Lois struggle with her feelings and try not to act on them. She doesn't wear her heart on her sleeve and does her damndestt not to show vunerability. Someone like Superman would sort of break through the cynicism she uses as a sheild to protect herself.

On top of all that, she's a journalist afterall. Any romance or feelings toward Superman put her reputation and objectivity on the line.

One Clark's end, Lois is not only a co-worker and friend, but he's also lieing to her. For someone as honest as Clark you've got to figuare that it would eat away at him . He has so much to lose if it doesn't work out or if it does for that matter. Not to mention the fact he's an alien.

I think the one aspect of the myths that hasn't been dealt with as much is the reality of their romance and what it would really mean for these two people to be together. I think if you deal with that you make their eventual union that much stronger because they've both been through so much to be together beyond it just being a part of the myths.

So, how can I see this happening?

Clark is sitting at his desk, in front of his computer just typing away at the story he is working on. This is at the point in time where Clark is already established as one of the Daily Planet’s top two Journalists. Lois has been feeling the pressure of competition, for while now.

She is pissed. This big farm kid from Smallville, who she first had to educate on how to even be a reporter in the big city, this guy of all people is breathing down her neck as the next big reporter.

She has sacrificed everything to get where she is, dating and relationships, skipped vacations, put herself into harms way, stayed up all night to finish writing to have things ready by print time.

This big dumb redneck is making her look bad. He is always on time, always finds out things about a story no-one else can find, he never misspells anything, he types so fast that he has time on his hands, and makes it all look too easy. At this rate Perry is going to be giving Clark first dibs on top stories soon.

There he is sleeves rolled up, pen behind is ear, steaming pale cream covered coffee at his desk, he is even smiling! How dare he!

Lois has been preparing to run a possible lead to Perry about LexCorp which has been working on a new defense contract with an armored suit that turns one soldier into someone with comparable power to Superman himself, and she has been leaked a hint that one was being tested recently in a rouge nation, and suspects that Luthor has been making underground deals to sell these to foreign Dictators.

When this story breaks it will be big news. Lois knows this one will show up the farm goon. At his time, Lois knocks on Perry’s office door, and he motions her in. He looks up from his desk " do you have something good for me today Lois?", smiling as he does to one of his best reporters, he is sure she will have some great story.

Lois starts "Perry, one of my insiders at LexCorp has evidence that the new Lexo-tech suit is being tested in Karnacastan and that he may be making under" Perry interrupts and cuts her off "Lois I expect more of you, I don’t want you trying to take Clark’s story". Lois now upset "how can he possibly know about have this story, I have not told anyone until I was sure my source was concrete!?!?"

Perry now, informatively " Lois, that is all fine, but Clark was just in my office this morning an hour before you got here laying it all out for me, its his story. If you have other information on it, you are free to work with him on it, you can SHARE the byline with him".

Lois now devastated tries to hide her tears. This was like a nail in her professional coffin. "I have to, have to leave, I just need to step outside", she storms out of Perry’s office, and sees Clark smiling confidently as he types away, reclines back in his chair, takes a sip of coffee, as IF he needed it! It looked like he just likes the flavor, the big redneck probably has more creamer in it than coffee. He leans forward, easy as day and begins hacking away again.

Lois, shaking, enraged, more emotional than ever walks up to Clark, to which he looks up from his desk. That smile! Anytime it would have made any woman melt, but right now it was arrogant, cocky, like he doesn’t even know what he has done to her. Smiling like he thinks we are on the same side! Like the Cheshire Cat!

She reaches out and yells " Clark! How dare you do this to me!" The entire room is silent looking at her, stunned.

Lois reaches out her arm and SMACK!! slaps Clark across the face, bending his glasses, and breaking off a red painted finger nail. Lois in tears, embarrassed and humiliated storms off to the elevator, everyone is stunned.

Clark grabbing his jacket, gets up from his desk to follow her but is too slow to get to the elevator. He follows her down with the stairs, he moves no faster than a normal human. When he gets to the bottom he sees Lois existing the door, into pouring rain, with no coat, no umbrella and no purse.

As Lois steps out into the rain, she feels like it is her darkest hour. She just got scooped yet again by Clark, she has embarrassed herself in front of her boss, and made a humiliating scene in front of the entire news room. She had been up all night taking notes for her story, and is tired. Her makeup and mascara are ruining, and now that she is sopping wet she realizes that she has on a black bra with a white shirt. Now here comes the big dope holding up his jacket chasing her like Matador.

Lois now cornered turns on him! "Who do you think you ARE Clark!!?? Superman!?? You come out here to rescue me from the rain with your big Jacket?!" Clark stops only a foot in front of her, a look of shock and surprise on his face.

She continues "your responsible for this, You RUINED MY LIFE! Do you know what its like to have the weight of the world on your shoulders?!? I’m the daughter living in the shadow of a four start general! Do you know how hard it is to live up to your parents expectations!? Do you know how much I have had to deprive myself of?!? I was the best reporter ever until you came into my life and went out of your way to make me look bad!"

At this point Lois is hysterical and livid, drenched, and sobbing.

Clark responds with "I’m sorry Lois, reading your stories that made me want to work at the daily planet. I just wanted to live up to your standard. You amaze me. If It weren’t for you taking me under your wing when I was new here I never would have lasted. I look up to you as a reporter a great deal, and you are the most confident, most intuitive and best written reporter there is".

Now Lois is in tears. The person she was learning to hate was just telling her that she was his inspiration to become a journalist, and here he is even attributing all of his success to her.

Now, Clark puts his coat over her shoulders, and continues, "you are also beautiful" He pulls her close and kisses her.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"