M. Night Shyamalan's After Earth

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Project862006, Oct 20, 2010.

?

Rate the Movie

1. 10

2. 9

3. 8

4. 7

5. 6

6. 5

7. 4

8. 3

9. 2

10. 1

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. DoomsdayApex

DoomsdayApex Well-Known Member

Yea, sorry about the confusion. I actually thought it was Albert Hughes but you're right -- it's Gary Whitta. Still... :wow:

2. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

Stephen Gaghan(Traffic,Syriana) to Help with One Thousand AE Script

3. Wolf Boy

Wolf Boy Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he an still pull in the projects and big names now days after how much critics and the public slaughter his work.

4. Project862006

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zoe-kravitz-will-smith-m-night-shyamalan-1000-ae-269716

5. Project862006

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hunger-games-will-smith-after-earth-280297

6. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

please M make this a good movie. i know that you are a good director. throw this ''ego'' away.

7. Project862006

Concept Art
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. rorry

rorry Member

looks like a still from 2046 on the wall

9. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

holly s.... almost every image looks unique.please let this story be good.

Will smith is a control freak so i think the story should work.

10. Airwings

Airwings Waves of air

I have trust in this film.

But that's only myself talking... I look forward to everything the man does.

11. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Shasta McNasty

I know it's weird, but I read your post in a computer's voice.

12. Sgt.Pepper

Sgt.Pepper Nowhere Man

No, that image is from In the Mood for Love.

13. Project862006

did'nt see this posted

14. Project862006

M Night announced Via Twitter His Costume Designer and Cinematographer:

Costume Designer - Amy Westcott (Black Swan,The Wrestler)

Cinematographer - Peter Suschitzky (The Empire Strikes Back, A Dangerous Method,Eastern Promises,A History Of Violence)

15. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

16. Mrs. Sawyer

Mrs. Sawyer Well-Known Member

I don't get this. Will Smith has not been in a movie in nearly 4 years, and the Karate Kid remake was actually surprisingly good, and it's been the only movie Jaden was in the last few years. It's not like their flooding the market with their movies or released terrible quaity material (outside of Whip My Head but that song died out quick).

17. dark_b

dark_b Well-Known Member

their daughter is also everywhere.

back to movie. for some reason i feel there is hope. Will Smith wuold never be in a movie if his screenwritters wouldnt look at it. yes WWW was to stupid for this planet. just look at Django. Tarantino would never alow a rewritte from an actor. and Will Smith will not be in a movie that he has no control.

18. I SEE SPIDEY

I SEE SPIDEY Well-Known Member

I agree but I loved Whip My Hair and it was a hit. I borderline loved Karate Kid. It's a very well done remake of a good movie.

I do wish Smith would play in better movies though because his movies have only been slightly above average at best.

I have no faith in this movie because the director of The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs doesn't exist. He's lost his mojo and will never get it back. It's nice that somebody else had a hand in the script though so maybe the movie won't be as bad as The Happening or Lady in the Water or The Last Airbender.

19. Thebumwhowalks

Thebumwhowalks Well-Known Member

it's not like he has burnt himself out on drugs or booze or has had a debilitating illness, and has actually physically destroyed himself. He can always make a creative comeback if he gets his attitude right. If anything, it may have been a little bit of an ego problem he had, always pushing for the original screenplay written solely by himself, which is to be lauded in this world of recycled ideas, but if your results are not chiming as well as they used to, you should be open to collaboration.
    So, it is a very good sign that he has allowed someone else to have a pass at the script.
    The Happening had a great sci-fi concept at the heart of it, it just that the execution of the script and the diretcing was way off, so he still has the original ideas there, he just needs to get to the place where he can carry them out to their full potential.

20. Mrs. Sawyer

Mrs. Sawyer Well-Known Member

Smith I admit does roles that are too safe, in which the last few bit him in the ass, but none of those movie failed because of him.

And yes, I have little faith in an M Night directed movie.

21. Liam_H

Liam_H Well-Known Member

Nothing about this project interests me considering who's involved. Really didn't care for the Karate Kid remake so seeing Jaden in this just turns me off.

Will Smith can certainly take on meatier roles but he's keeping it safe by doing movies that appeal to the masses. Its what brings in the money. I really wondered if he would take the lead in Django Unchained but not surprised he didn't.

22. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

I have a strong feeling this movie is going to be Night's Big Comeback. And I hope so. I miss him. :csad:

I knew The Happening would be bad.
    I knew The Last Airbender would be bad.

This time around, I can't say After Earth will be bad. I genuinely think this will be huge.

The other thing I've noticed is this strange pattern. When you look at casting, who were Night's biggest stars for his movies? Who drew in more of a crowd? Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson. These were the biggest stars of their time. And now you're throwing Will Smith into a trinity of Hollywood royalty.

The Sixth Sense - Bankable star = Success (box office and critical)
    Unbreakable - Bankable star = Success (critical)
    Signs - Bankable star = Success (box office)
    The Village - No bankable star = Failure (critical)
    Lady in the Water - No Bankable star = Failure
    The Happening - No bankable star = Failure
    The Last Airbender - No bankable star = Failure

If he's got someone as huge as Will Smith, this movie will NOT be a failure.

23. Thebumwhowalks

Thebumwhowalks Well-Known Member

Aye, I said something similar a while ago, about the fact that he had the massive names in the best written ones, and that Will Smith wouldn't put up with any kind of a crap script, much the same as Gibson and Willis.

The Happening actually made 103million dollars, haha, so LITW and TLA are the only ones he's made that have actually bombed at the BO(apart from the two films he made pre-Sixth Sense). When you compare that to some other director's careers, M Night is still batting a v high average in terms of BO.
    edit: but aye, of course, that is not the problem in his case, his is a case of getting back his artistic mojo.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  24. Blackman

Blackman C'mon Son

Mark Wahlberg is pretty bankable. Not as bankable as Gibson was or Willis and Smith are currently.

But I see your point Rocketman

25. Rocketman

Rocketman Well-Known Member

I've been saying this for years: Night needs to get a star like Tom Cruise or John Travolta, someone who they both can benefit from, mutually. Night needs a big name, Cruise and Travolta need a big hit. They need each other. Cruise and Travolta are in the same 80's/90's group like Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson. He needs to stick to BIG names. Hell, Tom Hanks would be great in a Night movie. Kevin Spacey.

It's when Night started doing this weird thing with throwing all these random people together like William Hurt and Adrien Brody and Bryce Dallas Howard, things started getting less interesting. Paul Giamatti isn't going to pull the same people in as Mel Gibson. You need a big name that's going to get people talking, that's a departure from their usual movies. Bruce Willis was a very unusual choice for The Sixth Sense. That's Mr. Die Hard in a slow-paced drama about the afterlife. Not 12 terrorists in a building. Mel Gibson was an unusual choice for Signs. That's Mr. Lethal Weapon.

Will Smith is EXACTLY the name he needs. He's going back in the right direction, in my opinion, and this has Box Office Success written all over it.