M. Night Shyamalan's After Earth

Oh, well I guess you should have made that clear originally as to why you brought up book of eli:woot: yes Gary Whitta is "attached"

Yea, sorry about the confusion. I actually thought it was Albert Hughes but you're right -- it's Gary Whitta. Still... :wow:

The film centers on a father-son duo who crash-land on Earth one thousand years after humans have abandoned the planet. With his father seriously injured, the young boy must set out to find help on the now strange and harsh planet.

Stephen Gaghan(Traffic,Syriana) to Help with One Thousand AE Script

Stephen Gaghan has completed a polish of Sony Pictures and Overbrook Entertainment's futuristic sci-fi pic "One Thousand A.E.," which will be directed by M. Night Shyamalan. Shyamalan was credited as the sole writer on the first nine films he directed, but his latest, "A.E.," was scripted by Gary Whitta ("The Book of Eli"). Shyamalan rewrote the screenplay to fit his needs, but Gaghan was tasked with getting the script in shooting shape. He turned his revisions in to the studio nearly a month ago and may continue to work with Shyamalan to fine-tune the current draft as the pic's February start date draws near.
Will and Jaden Smith are set to star as a father and son who crash-land on Earth one thousand years after mankind has abandoned the planet. The crash leaves the elder Smith badly injured, and it's up to the boy to find help in what is now a strange and dangerous place.
The duo previously shared the screen in Sony's 2006 drama "The Pursuit of Happyness."
Shyamalan and Will Smith are producing with the latter's Overbrook partners James Lassiter, Ken Stovitz and Jada Pinkett Smith.
Gaghan, who won a best-adapted screenplay Oscar for "Traffic," is developing two projects as a director: a WB pic about a Mexican cartel, and Flashlight Pictures' indie drama about a Snakehead who trafficks in human cargo from China. His last bigscreen project was as writer-helmer of Warner Bros.' 2005 drama "Syriana."

I'm surprised he an still pull in the projects and big names now days after how much critics and the public slaughter his work.

M. Night Shymalan is now recruiting more actors to join the cast of “After Earth.”According to The Hollywood Reporter, Columbia Pictures are in very early negotiations with actresses Zoe Kravitz and Sophie Okonedo. The actresses will join the cast that already included Will and Jaden Smith.
In this Shyamalan-directed sci-fi adventure, the movie is about when a father and son crashed land on Earth, which is now inhospitable. It would be up to his son to save his father, a well known hero.
If the actresses are signed, Kravitz will play Will Smith’s daughter and Okonedo will be his wife in the film.
The film was formerly called “1000 A.E.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zoe-kravitz-will-smith-m-night-shyamalan-1000-ae-269716

Isabelle Fuhrman is in negotiations to join After Earth, Columbia’s sci-fi action adventure movie starring Will Smith and son Jaden Smith.

M. Night Shyamalan is directing the pic, which had previously been titled 1000 A.E. The story is set in a future in which humans no longer live on Earth after it becomes inhospitable. The elder Smith is playing a hero, while Jaden is his son, considered a failure as a warrior. When the two crash-land on Earth, it's up to the son to save the dad.

Fuhrman will play Jaden Smith character’s friend Rayna.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hunger-games-will-smith-after-earth-280297

please M make this a good movie. i know that you are a good director. throw this ''ego'' away.

Concept Art
After-Earth-Concept-2.jpg

After-Earth-Concept-1.jpg

holly s.... almost every image looks unique.please let this story be good.

Will smith is a control freak so i think the story should work.

I have trust in this film.

But that's only myself talking... I look forward to everything the man does.

I know it's weird, but I read your post in a computer's voice.

did'nt see this posted
Variety's Jeff Sneider recently sent out a tweet claiming that Academy Award winner Mark Boal did a polish on the script for After Earth. Boal, who won Oscars for both writing and producing 2008s The Hurt Locker, joins fellow Oscar winner Stephen Gaghan, as well as Gary Whitta as one of the writers to work on the upcoming sci-fi film. Shyamalan, an Academy Award nominated writer himself, also did drafts of his own on the screenplay.

M Night announced Via Twitter His Costume Designer and Cinematographer:

Costume Designer - Amy Westcott (Black Swan,The Wrestler)

Cinematographer - Peter Suschitzky (The Empire Strikes Back, A Dangerous Method,Eastern Promises,A History Of Violence)

I've had enough of the Smith family for a decade.

I don't get this. Will Smith has not been in a movie in nearly 4 years, and the Karate Kid remake was actually surprisingly good, and it's been the only movie Jaden was in the last few years. It's not like their flooding the market with their movies or released terrible quaity material (outside of Whip My Head but that song died out quick).

their daughter is also everywhere.

back to movie. for some reason i feel there is hope. Will Smith wuold never be in a movie if his screenwritters wouldnt look at it. yes WWW was to stupid for this planet. just look at Django. Tarantino would never alow a rewritte from an actor. and Will Smith will not be in a movie that he has no control.

I don't get this. Will Smith has not been in a movie in nearly 4 years, and the Karate Kid remake was actually surprisingly good, and it's been the only movie Jaden was in the last few years. It's not like their flooding the market with their movies or released terrible quaity material (outside of Whip My Head but that song died out quick).
I agree but I loved Whip My Hair and it was a hit. I borderline loved Karate Kid. It's a very well done remake of a good movie.

I do wish Smith would play in better movies though because his movies have only been slightly above average at best.

I have no faith in this movie because the director of The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs doesn't exist. He's lost his mojo and will never get it back. It's nice that somebody else had a hand in the script though so maybe the movie won't be as bad as The Happening or Lady in the Water or The Last Airbender.

I have no faith in this movie because the director of The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs doesn't exist. He's lost his mojo and will never get it back. It's nice that somebody else had a hand in the script though so maybe the movie won't be as bad as The Happening or Lady in the Water or The Last Airbender.

it's not like he has burnt himself out on drugs or booze or has had a debilitating illness, and has actually physically destroyed himself. He can always make a creative comeback if he gets his attitude right. If anything, it may have been a little bit of an ego problem he had, always pushing for the original screenplay written solely by himself, which is to be lauded in this world of recycled ideas, but if your results are not chiming as well as they used to, you should be open to collaboration.
So, it is a very good sign that he has allowed someone else to have a pass at the script.
The Happening had a great sci-fi concept at the heart of it, it just that the execution of the script and the diretcing was way off, so he still has the original ideas there, he just needs to get to the place where he can carry them out to their full potential.

I agree but I loved Whip My Hair and it was a hit. I borderline loved Karate Kid. It's a very well done remake of a good movie.

I do wish Smith would play in better movies though because his movies have only been slightly above average at best.

Smith I admit does roles that are too safe, in which the last few bit him in the ass, but none of those movie failed because of him.

And yes, I have little faith in an M Night directed movie.

Nothing about this project interests me considering who's involved. Really didn't care for the Karate Kid remake so seeing Jaden in this just turns me off.

Will Smith can certainly take on meatier roles but he's keeping it safe by doing movies that appeal to the masses. Its what brings in the money. I really wondered if he would take the lead in Django Unchained but not surprised he didn't.

I have a strong feeling this movie is going to be Night's Big Comeback. And I hope so. I miss him. :csad:

I knew The Happening would be bad.
I knew The Last Airbender would be bad.

This time around, I can't say After Earth will be bad. I genuinely think this will be huge.

The other thing I've noticed is this strange pattern. When you look at casting, who were Night's biggest stars for his movies? Who drew in more of a crowd? Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson. These were the biggest stars of their time. And now you're throwing Will Smith into a trinity of Hollywood royalty.

The Sixth Sense - Bankable star = Success (box office and critical)
Unbreakable - Bankable star = Success (critical)
Signs - Bankable star = Success (box office)
The Village - No bankable star = Failure (critical)
Lady in the Water - No Bankable star = Failure
The Happening - No bankable star = Failure
The Last Airbender - No bankable star = Failure

If he's got someone as huge as Will Smith, this movie will NOT be a failure.

I have a strong feeling this movie is going to be Night's Big Comeback. And I hope so. I miss him. :csad:

I knew The Happening would be bad.
I knew The Last Airbender would be bad.

This time around, I can't say After Earth will be bad. I genuinely think this will be huge.

The other thing I've noticed is this strange pattern. When you look at casting, who were Night's biggest stars for his movies? Who drew in more of a crowd? Bruce Willis, Mel Gibson. These were the biggest stars of their time. And now you're throwing Will Smith into a trinity of Hollywood royalty.

The Sixth Sense - Bankable star = Success (box office and critical)
Unbreakable - Bankable star = Success (critical)
Signs - Bankable star = Success (box office)
The Village - No bankable star = Failure (critical)
Lady in the Water - No Bankable star = Failure
The Happening - No bankable star = Failure
The Last Airbender - No bankable star = Failure

If he's got someone as huge as Will Smith, this movie will NOT be a failure.

Aye, I said something similar a while ago, about the fact that he had the massive names in the best written ones, and that Will Smith wouldn't put up with any kind of a crap script, much the same as Gibson and Willis.

The Happening actually made 103million dollars, haha, so LITW and TLA are the only ones he's made that have actually bombed at the BO(apart from the two films he made pre-Sixth Sense). When you compare that to some other director's careers, M Night is still batting a v high average in terms of BO.
edit: but aye, of course, that is not the problem in his case, his is a case of getting back his artistic mojo.

Last edited:
Mark Wahlberg is pretty bankable. Not as bankable as Gibson was or Willis and Smith are currently.

But I see your point Rocketman

I've been saying this for years: Night needs to get a star like Tom Cruise or John Travolta, someone who they both can benefit from, mutually. Night needs a big name, Cruise and Travolta need a big hit. They need each other. Cruise and Travolta are in the same 80's/90's group like Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson. He needs to stick to BIG names. Hell, Tom Hanks would be great in a Night movie. Kevin Spacey.

It's when Night started doing this weird thing with throwing all these random people together like William Hurt and Adrien Brody and Bryce Dallas Howard, things started getting less interesting. Paul Giamatti isn't going to pull the same people in as Mel Gibson. You need a big name that's going to get people talking, that's a departure from their usual movies. Bruce Willis was a very unusual choice for The Sixth Sense. That's Mr. Die Hard in a slow-paced drama about the afterlife. Not 12 terrorists in a building. Mel Gibson was an unusual choice for Signs. That's Mr. Lethal Weapon.

Will Smith is EXACTLY the name he needs. He's going back in the right direction, in my opinion, and this has Box Office Success written all over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"