M. Night Shyamalan's GLASS

Any scenes that could be considered gross?
If you answer, I only want responses that refer
to aspects of the film that are related to my question, no other story details please.
Thanks!
No. Not really. At least not imo
There was a brief moment of off screen cannibalism. But it's brief

I am watching Folding Ideas review of this movie. Goddamn. :funny:

I don't know what the critics are expecting because this movie is a total progression of Unbreakable.

I like this better than Split.

Directing, editing and cinematography is better than Unbreakable
But story wise, Unbreakable is still better.

It's not perfect ...but it's worth seeing. Don't expect the characters to be like Marvel and DC's and that is the whole point.

I cant watch that because it's spoiler filled .
it's almost like critics feel that M Night cheated them out of the movie that they had in their heads, The Glass film that they expected that he didn't deliver on.

I don't know what the critics are expecting because this movie is a total progression of Unbreakable.

I like this better than Split.

Directing, editing and cinematography is better than Unbreakable
But story wise, Unbreakable is still better.

It's not perfect ...but it's worth seeing. Don't expect the characters to be like Marvel and DC's and that is the whole point.
Do you need to see Split to enjoy it?
I skipped it.

I just came from seeing Glass (2019) and it is definitely a worthy successor to Unbreakable (2000) and Split (2016). Personally, I skipped Split but I definitely watched Unbreakable and seeing how Shyamalan does his world building connecting all 3 films together almost rivals how MCU and DCEU build their universes. I definitely was into Glass from start to finish.

Just got back from seeing it. Liked it; even the ending. Not sure what cut of the movie all the critics saw, but the cut i saw was a good follow up to Unbreakable and Split.

Love the Overseer vs Beast - fight 1. It was short...but the tension....!

The only thing that sticks out to me as bad, is M. Night's cringe-worthy cameo...

The Overseer...what a superhero name

Really enjoyed glass! I have to disagree with the critics on this one. Yes, i think the ending is gonna divide people, some will love it and some will hate it. It's definitely a tough ending to swallow, but I get what he was going for. Overall, I thought the film was good, and the performances were fantastic and there's quite a few surprises. Not sure where I'd rank it, but itts a worthy follow up to unbreakable and split.

8/10

Do you need to see Split to enjoy it?
I skipped it.

I was thinking about that a lot. Because Split almost has nothing to do with comic books, superheroes, and supervillains which is why the twist ending of Split worked great making it a surprise sequel to Unbreakable.

BUT you can watch Unbreakable then go straight to Glass....watching Split just gave more depth understanding The Horde and his arc. In Glass, The Hordes's origin is explained and sprinkled and he has more screen time than both Glass and Dunn anyways.

So to me, I think you can watch Unbreakable then Glass...We already know Dunn and Glass and now watching straight to Glass...it introduces a new villain who has split personalities where you can just piece together from dialogues and flashbacks in Glass.

But some may argue that you NEED to watch Split to understand fully of The Horde.

But if your just a Dunn and Elijah fan you can skip Split without skipping a beat.

It wasn't terrible. I know for some it dragged in the middle with mostly expository dialogue, but if you've seen the first two it's more interesting. I was gonna go see Dragon Ball: Broly instead at first but glad I decided to check this out regardless.

A lot of people are going to hate "Glass". A lot happens that will make people furious. However Unbreakable was always about how someone would react to becoming a superhero in the real world, and Split was the same but for the Supervillain, so the logical final step is seeing how the real world reacts to them both existing, and we all know the real world. It's a potentially ugly, disastrous, hateful and illogical mess. How would the world really react to Superman, an alien with god like power? They'd probably try to kill him. That's why you leave superhero examination stories to original work like this or The Incredibles and the Watchmen graphic novel. You try this with the Justice League or The Avengers and I'd want someone's head. It doesn't go where I'd want it or expect it to go, whether it was after seeing Unbreakable and even Split's end, but I understand why M. Night goes where he goes here, and why it's kind of necessary. Plus neither of those films were what I expected when I 1st watched them as well. A fitting ending to the trilogy IMO.

A lot of people are going to hate "Glass". A lot happens that will make people furious. However Unbreakable was always about how someone would react to becoming a superhero in the real world, and Split was the same but for the Supervillain, so the logical final step is seeing how the real world reacts to them both existing, and we all know the real world. It's a potentially ugly, disastrous, hateful and illogical mess. How would the world really react to Superman, an alien with god like power? They'd probably try to kill him. That's why you leave superhero examination stories to original work like this or The Incredibles and the Watchmen graphic novel. You try this with the Justice League or The Avengers and I'd want someone's head. It doesn't go where I'd want it or expect it to go, whether it was after seeing Unbreakable and even Split's end, but I understand why M. Night goes where he goes here, and why it's kind of necessary. Plus neither of those films were what I expected when I 1st watched them as well. A fitting ending to the trilogy IMO.
I liked Glass, but it seems like you're creating a strawman argument to most of people's complaints. People arent really complaining about the fact that they were "deconstructing" heroes, villains, and comic book tropes.
And it's not like we haven't seen all that you wrote about before. How would the world realistically react to an alien with god like power? We saw that in MoS, BvS, and to a lesser extend Avengers (the whole weapons thing). Even with Hulk you can argue we've seen that with. We've seen how heroes would be celebrities like in Fantastic Four and Iron Man. I mean honestly most SH movies tackle the "what would happen to heroes if they were real? How would the real world react" And honestly Glass didn't even go that deep with that question.

Now I'm not saying all those movies are good, but they weren't bad because they were trying to show how heroes would be seen in the real world.

Bringing it back to Glass, I don't think people really care that they deconstruct superheroes. It was the pacing, the twists, and the anti-climaticness (not a word) that has people to be so mixed on it.

Last edited:
I wasn't actually arguing against anyone's complaints since I haven't really read them yet. That was just my initial reaction after the credits rolled and pretty much my main reason for liking it. Right when it went off i just thought "Yeah, people are gonna hate this".

Just got home from the theater. I rarely ever check the time while seeing a movie, but this film had me just waiting for it to end. I was ready to walk out during the last 30 minutes. I enjoyed the first 20 minutes, but everything that followed ranged from meh to god awful. I regret watching Unbreakable and Split beforehand, as they are far superior, even though the latter is weaker than the former by a good margin.

Been a long day and I'm too tired to give more in depth thoughts, but I'll try to have a full review up sometime tomorrow.

Last edited:
I think the fundamental flaw of the movie is that the twist with the Sarah Paulson's character and the secret society happens too late. Had that been revealed much earlier the ending would've worked much smoother. As it stands the ending is way too complex with too many twists thrown out in succession.

Also, there's some truly cringey dialogue in this, including a frickin' Salt Bae joke. Shyamalan's biggest problem is that he can't get out of his own way. But having said that, I think this works more than it doesn't.

Let me start this by saying that when I watch films, in no way, shape or form do I watch them from any critical aspect. For the 2 hours or so I watch a film I am there in that world. I react to film purely on an emotional level, nothing more. Unbreakable, to me is the greatest superhero film ever made, bar none. The characters in that film, all of them are exceptional and flawless in my opinion. So having just seen Glass, I can honestly say for the first time in my life that this film has actually made me never want to see unbreakable ever again. This film ruined Unbreakable for me. Spoilers ahead

The killing of David Dunn, Elijah Price and Kevin Crumb is the biggest mistake this film has made. I waited almost 20 years to see David and Elijah again and this is the s*** they deliver me?. Eat a D***. I loved those two characters and all the movie did was waste time in a mental ward where you saw next to nothing from David Dunn or Elijah Price at all. They killed David with a puddle, they took him out like a B****. A 20 year build up for that?. Now I'll never be able to go back and enjoy unbreakable again, knowing that it's for nothing. He was just killed off easily as though he just gave up fighting for life. That's not a hero. They were better off leaving Unbreakable alone. Its a great standalone origin story that needed no sequel, especially is this is how Night decided it should go.

Waste of my time
3/10

Well,I have always believed that each film exits in it's own reality.
Even if they are connected, each film is isolated as it's own story.
So, whatever, happens tomorrow when I see Glass, It won't change how I feel about Unbreakable.

I didn't hate this film, but the ending definitely felt unearned. It felt unearned because you are right, this film is revealed to be a "how would the world react" theme...but only in the twist. And as such, never explores the theme, but elects to use it only for shock.

Unbreakable, and Split really, are both films about accepting what makes you special and different. Every part of these films are keyed into this theme. Glass however, spends a good deal of time seemingly retreading this idea (am I special? Am I just deluded?) Before ultimately revealing the twist...but, again, this affords them no time to actually explore the idea of what society does to people who embrace what makes them special. And as such, the ending falls flat. It's a shock with no bite.

And that's a bummer, because the idea itself was fascinating. The execution was unfortunately below-par.

After thinking about it more....I'm really liking this movie a lot.

I like that the ending is NOT cliche.

For people hating the last act....how would you change it???

This fits Unbreakable perfectly.....they were both grounded superhero movies and a fitting sequel to Unbreakable.

After thinking about it more....I'm really liking this movie a lot.

I like that the ending is NOT cliche.

For people hating the last act....how would you change it???

This fits Unbreakable perfectly.....they were both grounded superhero movies and a fitting sequel to Unbreakable.

See my last post. It's not so much that I would change the last act per say, I would re-write the film to actually explore the theme the last act raises the entire time, instead of retreading ground we already covered in Unbreakable, so the ending actually feels earned.

Make the entire film a study of how society reacts to those who embrace what makes them unique. Don't make it the surprise twist, that ultimately feels empty since it had zero exploration beforehand.

Just wanted to come in here and say.

I liked it.

I liked the ending.

I like that it is egotistical enough to be a manifesto of "I was not a mistake and now I'm back!" but still be fun and able to lean into comic book conventions while deconstructing them.

It definitely appears to be polarizing by design, but that also to me is a quality that will make it interesting to revisit. It was a singular way to end this story and I think the acting was uniformly excellent. It's not as good as Unbreakable or Split, but it made for a nice zany little mashup of a film that also acted as a meta-commentary about Shyamalan on Shyamalan. For that I was amused, because unlike Lady in the Water, it felt like he was more aware of how it looks and is trying to challenge audiences instead of demanding our awe.

Just got back from seeing it. Liked it; even the ending. Not sure what cut of the movie all the critics saw, but the cut i saw was a good follow up to Unbreakable and Split.

Love the Overseer vs Beast - fight 1. It was short...but the tension....!

The only thing that sticks out to me as bad, is M. Night's cringe-worthy cameo...

Oh the cameo is fun! It is the closest he does to an "MCU" easter egg, and even then they have some real amusement with it by revealing
his cameos in Split and Unbreakable are the same guy!

And yes that opening 20 minutes is like an actual superhero movie starring David Dunn in a much nastier world. I could see why some folks wanted that, but to be fair, I knew going in it wouldn't be a superhero movie. It was just a taste of the idea of Dunn in that kind of story.

I didn't hate this film, but the ending definitely felt unearned. It felt unearned because you are right, this film is revealed to be a "how would the world react" theme...but only in the twist. And as such, never explores the theme, but elects to use it only for shock.

Unbreakable, and Split really, are both films about accepting what makes you special and different. Every part of these films are keyed into this theme. Glass however, spends a good deal of time seemingly retreading this idea (am I special? Am I just deluded?) Before ultimately revealing the twist...but, again, this affords them no time to actually explore the idea of what society does to people who embrace what makes them special. And as such, the ending falls flat. It's a shock with no bite.

And that's a bummer, because the idea itself was fascinating. The execution was unfortunately below-par.

Well I think they examine the theme from a new angle (am I special?) with the world telling you you're not. Even before the twist, Ellie Staple is trying to convince them that what they believe is their gift is just a delusion. That in itself is a form of the world trying to destroy you. Maybe not physically, but existentially. I also read it as Shyamalan dealing with the kind of rejection he received in the years since Unbreakable. After Lady thru After Earth, everyone made fun of him and said he was a fool. Kind of like Ellie talking to David Dunn. What happens to David is what happened to his career (almost), so that is what I think it's about. The twist just reveals even more the insidiousness of "you're not special."

Last edited:
I liked it, didn't love it. I can definitely see why critics panned it and why the reactions from fans have been mixed.

Still, for fans of Unbreakable and Split, there is much to appreciate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"