M. Night Shyamalan's GLASS

Man, if your Godzilla analogy is close to what happens in Glass, I’m going to be really pissed. Not because of the content, but because you spoiled the ending. I’m hoping you’re not dumb enough to come in here and do that.

Nah.. That’s the ending to Godzilla 98! He was put down by the military after getting his dorsal fins caught in the bridge. According to the spoilers, the ending to glass is just as depressing, but again I don’t know for sure, nor have I spoiled anything other than terrible movie from 20 years ago.

The twist: Cole Sear has become a type of superhero himself, known to help good ghosts and stop the bad ones ever since he was mentored by David Dunn’s twin brother Dr. Malcolm Crowe in 1999! David calls Cole for help in the end to help him save Philadelphia.

Adding: not actually the case, it would be cool if it was though and oddly easy to explain (twins).

Last edited:
The movie started out so awesomely well.............. and ended like a piece of *******************. WTF is wrong with MNS ? Was so excited for this movie ever since i saw Split (especially the ending) but this is a ridiculous end for a movie trilogy. I knew MNS has make $hit movies (like avatar, lady in the water).....but this was worse than i thought.

Again, the movie started so well...but why end it like that ?

The 1st 30 minutes...i though all the critics were out of their minds for giving crap ratings for this movie...and in the final half i understand why.

I hope this is not a omen for movies coming out this year......

35%
Average Rating: 5.1/10
Reviews Counted: 106
Fresh: 37
Rotten: 69

Critics Consensus: Glassdisplays a few glimmers of M. Night Shyamalan at his twisty world-building best, but ultimately disappoints as the conclusion to the writer-director's long-gestating trilogy.

Seeing this tonight and I am still excited. I may not post about it tonight, though. I may go to bed early so I can wake up stupidly early and watch 2 or 3 episodes of Punisher before work. But still seeing this at 7:15 tonight! I will be posting about it tomorrow, lol.

It's a shame the reception hasn't been positive, but I will reserve judgement until I see the film. But I won't deny that my enthusiasm has been tempered somewhat by the RT score.

But its BO prospects do look good!

Still seeing this tonight but going in with mild expectations

For those who've seen it - is the cool Unbreakable "Visions" theme present in the film, despite James Newton Howard's absence?

I'm going to try to re-watch Unbreakable and Split tonight in preparation for this. Yes the reviews have dampened my enthusiasm quite a bit, but I at least want to refresh my memory on some of the stuff I might have missed in those movies in case it gets referenced here.

Saw it last night. Wife and I both really enjoyed it. What disappoints me though is that it really leans into Unbreakable, but lacks, like Split, a distinct visual flair like the cold and overcast visual tone of Unbreakable. It's one of those things I miss from MNS in his recent films.

Regarding the spoilers, don't write off seeing the movie because of them. They make sense in the context of the movie. The movie takes a hard left turn, but not off the map. I'll admit I had to talk through it to come to a point where I could agree that however unearned the twist is, it's not an illogical choice. Like someone said before, MNS sticks to his guns unflinchingly.

37%
Average Rating: 5.2/10
Reviews Counted: 134
Fresh: 50
Rotten: 84

Critics Consensus: Glassdisplays a few glimmers of M. Night Shyamalan at his twisty world-building best, but ultimately disappoints as the conclusion to the writer-director's long-gestating trilogy.

About 30 more reviews and it has gone up a bit.

It just sounds like the M Night from The Village or Signs where the first half is good to great and then totally drops the ball for the last act.

I saw it last night and I'd say it's a mixed bag. There are moments of genuine brilliance, I think, with regards to the characters of Elijah Price and Kevin Wendell Crumb. But then there's also moments where I just wondered wtf M Night was thinking, so I left the theatre really conflicted.

Personally, I wouldn't say it's a bad movie, because there are moments of either tension or emotional that totally had me, but yeah this is not the big profound ending that I think a lot of us wanted from this trilogy.

A couple of the end dialogue lines could have been stronger, but I liked it a lot 8.5/10. This is coming from someone who waited 18 years, tracked an Unbreakable sequel on message boards since the first movie came out, consider Unbreakable to be the best superhero movie ever made, and I’m the same age as David’s son so that’s how I always accessed the movie (which gives it a strong feeling of nostalgia to my childhood). So I consider myself someone very tough to impress since it had a lot to live up to, as that guy - I loved it (saying like since it wasn’t as strong as it could be in the end, but overall I liked it a lot).

David being killed could have been more dramatic, but the brute and sudden nature of it is growing on me since the dramatic beat was at the very end was great. Also the suddenness is more realistic.

I also watched Unbreakable and Split last night to prepare so hype level was boosted even more.

Also if you come at from that angle -
there’s many scenes where it becomes emotionally heavy throughout (in a good way).

Last edited:
On one hand I loved what M. Night did in the first two acts, but the last 30 mins really threw too much in at once that it's hard for me to wrap my head around some of the decisions he made--especially the "twist". If this indeed the last movie in his trilogy then consider me confused.

On one hand I loved what M. Night did in the first two acts, but the last 30 mins really threw too much in at once that it's hard for me to wrap my head around some of the decisions he made--especially the "twist". If this indeed the last movie in his trilogy then consider me confused.

I think there it came down to editing.

Read the film was originally over three hours (which was either the film as a whole (all of the scenes) or more likely the film and all of the shots)

The script was 153 pages, 1 page a minute so 2 hr 33 min long (of content, not content and end credits).

My hunch is a lot was in those thirty minutes and they had to reshoot those scenes to get the information in faster.

That was my only real issue with the twists - how they were delivered (dialogue, speed) - information dumps, which as said was likely due to reshooting those scenes to encapsulate all of the missing scenes.

I really hope they release like a near three hour cut (content and end credits) or include many deleted scenes on the blu ray since there were a lot of them (known due to shooting script length).

Last edited:
Not nearly as bad as some have said. The first two acts are actually pretty good, but the third act is a slight drop. Not as drastic as some made it seem.

Not nearly as bad as some have said. The first two acts are actually pretty good, but the third act is a slight drop. Not as drastic as some made it seem.

I think that it was “controversial” actually made it stand out more (imagine it ending after the final fight) - but there’s a good ten minues more.

If it ended after the fight it would have ended with all three being killed and a random enemy group one-upping every single one of the characters.

It seems like this may be the case for a while.

What really makes it all come together in the end though is the final twist and the whole reason this truly is Mr. Glass’ movie. That scene also legit made me cry (David’s son watching him knowing people will get to know who he was was).

I think that it was “controversial” actually made it stand out more (imagine it ending after the final fight) - but there’s a good ten minues more.

If it ended after the fight it would have ended with all three being killed and a random enemy group one-upping every single one of the characters.

It seems like this may be the case for a while.

What really makes it all come together in the end though is the final twist and the whole reason this truly is Mr. Glass’ movie. That scene also legit made me cry (David’s son watching him knowing people will get to know who he was was).

I agree. I enjoyed the movie throughout. Is it the worst of the three films? Probably, but still enjoyable.

I loved it. M. Night's clunky dialogue is still ever-present but man did this work for me.

A couple of the end dialogue lines could have been stronger, but I liked it a lot 8.5/10. This is coming from someone who waited 18 years, tracked an Unbreakable sequel on message boards since the first movie came out, consider Unbreakable to be the best superhero movie ever made, and I’m the same age as David’s son so that’s how I always accessed the movie (which gives it a strong feeling of nostalgia to my childhood). So I consider myself someone very tough to impress since it had a lot to live up to, as that guy - I loved it (saying like since it wasn’t as strong as it could be in the end, but overall I liked it a lot).

David being killed could have been more dramatic, but the brute and sudden nature of it is growing on me since the dramatic beat was at the very end was great. Also the suddenness is more realistic.

I also watched Unbreakable and Split last night to prepare so hype level was boosted even more.

Also if you come at from that angle -
there’s many scenes where it becomes emotionally heavy throughout (in a good way).
Yep, same boat. I missed Unbreakable's theatrical run, but once I caught it on home video I'd been aching for a follow-up. Going into the screening I was incredibly nervous, but I came out of it relieved. While not a complete homer, it satisfied what my 18-year long itch.

I think the die-hard comic book fans will appreciate all the nods and themes brought into this closing. I've got to read a few more reactions and let it sit, but I do feel like the third act's reveal and how it's executed, is largely dependent on how open you are to some of the genre's most recognized tropes.

Saw it for a second time tonight. This time around I really liked what the film does with the character of Patricia. She might be my favorite character out of all the personalities.

Just got back.

Maaaan, I can definitely see why it's being considered controversial. I totally dug the first act (as someone else said, I thought the critics were crazy at this point), really like the second, the third was good, but clunky... then that moment. If you've seen it, you know the one. In that moment I honestly was wishing I'd never even watched the movie.

I don't think it deserves SO much negativity-- It's never on par with the Unbreakable, but mostly hovers around Split quality.

It's just... Man, that one choice at the end. Need to process it.

Last edited:
The movie started out so awesomely well.............. and ended like a piece of *******************. WTF is wrong with MNS ? Was so excited for this movie ever since i saw Split (especially the ending) but this is a ridiculous end for a movie trilogy. I knew MNS has make $hit movies (like avatar, lady in the water).....but this was worse than i thought.

Again, the movie started so well...but why end it like that ?

The 1st 30 minutes...i though all the critics were out of their minds for giving crap ratings for this movie...and in the final half i understand why.

I hope this is not a omen for movies coming out this year......

Why would this be an omen for movies coming out this year? Jumping the gun and overreacting.

Saw this last night. It's easy to see why people are mad. That said, I think conceptually what M. Night did worked if you're viewing Glass as its own entity. But the execution of it I am not sure was entirely necessary, especially when you have to know it's going to be divisive. The ending was definitely bold. Like everyone else, loved Act 1 and Act 2. It's Act 3 where people will take issue. But this is one time where I can understand M. Night's logic. Even if it is the most satisfying conclusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"