M. Night Shyamalan's GLASS

Well I think they examine the theme from a new angle (am I special?) with the world telling you you're not. Even before the twist, Ellie Staple is trying to convince them that what they believe is their gift is just a delusion. That in itself is a form of the world trying to destroy you. Maybe not physically, but existentially. I also read it as Shyamalan dealing with the kind of rejection he received in the years since Unbreakable. After Lady thru After Earth, everyone made fun of him and said he was a fool. Kind of like Ellie talking to David Dunn. What happens to David is what happened to his career (almost), so that is what I think it's about. The twist just reveals even more the insidiousness of "you're not special."

Even with that, then we need more of seeing society as a whole being the thing that's holding them down. And again, it's not that you're not special, it's that society rejects people who are special or different. They don't tell them they're normal, they tell them they're wrong.

We needed to see a macro pressing down on the micro. Society vs the individual, not one person trying to influence another (again a retread of Unbreakable). And honestly, I don't think you need the
Hydra rip off. Keeping it just normal society rejecting them is much more powerful
. The ending theme ends up being completely unexplored, and as such, unearned. I didn't hate the ending, but I was completely unmmoved by it. My reaction was "meh". And that's purely down to the poor execution. Leaving that theme for the twist really hurt the film as a whole.

I think I may be one of the few who saw the ending coming....

I always had the feeling that Dr. Ellie Staple was the villain especially after the comic book showing a wizard type figure who appeared to be mind controlling people.

Also it is a classic kind of story, Smallville did it in ‘Labyrinth.’

I’m unsure why people are likening them to Hydra, it was more The Court of Owls. Or at least it seemed it.

There were only two twists I didn’t see coming -

Kevin’s connection with David (it oddly appears the kid is younger than Joseph was) - Kevin was in ‘Unbreakable’ too likely going by age and history; if that’s the case the actor playing Kevin should’ve been younger. Minor complaint though. For those wondering about Kevin, rewatch the “take a walk” scene.

The final twist but mainly because I thought the end that made some people angry were the main characters losing to new ones.

Last edited:
I will say that I thought the film was kind of....ugly looking? In terms of cinematography and lighting. The finale taking place out in the open during an overcast day made it look cheap.

Financially speaking, it was pretty cheap.
20 million dollars.

I actually thought it had beautiful cinematography. M.Night's use of color was very striking I'm this again. And it was pretty low budget as far as Hollywood goes.

Saw the movie yesterday and I really liked it!
McAvoy was just... perfection.
Was it just me that saw that "I spent 15 years with the wrong crowd, but turned it around with the power of positive thinking" line from the Shyamalan cameo a little jab at how his previous work was received?
The only thing I felt I would change was actually the ending being too dragged out!
I felt that if it ended with
Staple crying/screaming in the hallway
woud be absolutly perfect!

Just saw this last night and I can understand the dislike of how this film ended but I wasn’t bothered by it.

Overall I give it a 3.5 out of 5

Just saw this last night and I can understand the dislike of how this film ended but I wasn’t bothered by it.

Overall I give it a 3.5 out of 5

Same. The middle was long, but I didn't want to go to the bathroom because it the dialogue was revealing.

I felt bad for David the whole time.

So, asking for the third time...

Does the Unbreakable "Visions" theme play throughout the film?

Thanks!

I saw it last night.
Some background...Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies of all time. Split was my favorite movie of 2017.

I'm conflicted by this. On one hand, I was FULLY engaged throughout. I disagree with the critics who say that it dragged in the middle or didnt progress at all during that time.

Acting was great, loved the look. Loved the concept of it taking place in a mental hospital.

I loved the whole thing about belief and doubt and the pressures of the world making you feel less of yourself etc.

That said...I'm not sure that I liked the
secret Illuminati organization that silences people with powers. I mean...I don't mind that it exists...it just landed with a thud for me. I didn't find myself really CARING about it. And it bothered me that I was feeling underwhelmed as all of the characters I love were dying. The fact that this all lead to the "birth" of a superhero universe thing just...it didn't land with me. I mean, on the level of "people being inspired to believe in themselves" is fine...I just really DONT CARE about a superhero universe spawning from this. I think that...in this era of EVERY studio trying to launch a superhero universe...it might have impacted me more to NOT allude to launching one. However...if Blumhouse is going to now include Upgrade, Sleight and Spawn being included in this universe, then...OKAY...now I'm down. I think it's more that they killed all of the characters I love to inspire characters I haven't even seen and probably never will see. I don't know...maybe my mind will change on that since it's maybe about YOU AND ME believing in OURSELVES more, and shouldnt be seen as just what is on screen. I need to rewatch it and think some more about it.

I saw it last night.
Some background...Unbreakable is one of my favorite movies of all time. Split was my favorite movie of 2017.

I'm conflicted by this. On one hand, I was FULLY engaged throughout. I disagree with the critics who say that it dragged in the middle or didnt progress at all during that time.

Acting was great, loved the look. Loved the concept of it taking place in a mental hospital.

I loved the whole thing about belief and doubt and the pressures of the world making you feel less of yourself etc.

That said...I'm not sure that I liked the
secret Illuminati organization that silences people with powers. I mean...I don't mind that it exists...it just landed with a thud for me. I didn't find myself really CARING about it. And it bothered me that I was feeling underwhelmed as all of the characters I love were dying. The fact that this all lead to the "birth" of a superhero universe thing just...it didn't land with me. I mean, on the level of "people being inspired to believe in themselves" is fine...I just really DONT CARE about a superhero universe spawning from this. I think that...in this era of EVERY studio trying to launch a superhero universe...it might have impacted me more to NOT allude to launching one. However...if Blumhouse is going to now include Upgrade, Sleight and Spawn being included in this universe, then...OKAY...now I'm down. I think it's more that they killed all of the characters I love to inspire characters I haven't even seen and probably never will see. I don't know...maybe my mind will change on that since it's maybe about YOU AND ME believing in OURSELVES more, and shouldnt be seen as just what is on screen. I need to rewatch it and think some more about it.

Again, I think the issue with this is that the theme the twist brings up is one the movie ultimately never explores. Which is why the twist itself feels so weak.

Compare this film to Unbreakable for example. The theme of Unbreakable is very much about accepting what makes you different, and how denying your uniqueness can have a powerful negative impact on your life. That you need to embrace what makes you special to really thrive. Every part of Unbreakable is keyed into this theme. The twist at the end even is locked into it, we just see Glass fully accepting what makes him different...even if it's a frightening prospect.

With this film, most of the film is ultimately retreading ground that is covered in Unbreakable and Split. We see the main characters doubting that actually are special. However when the twist comes, it changes this idea.
The problem is that the twist changes the theme of the film to something akin to "Once you have accepted what makes you unique/special/different, society will not accept it, or push back against it." And that's a great concept. But it's never explored. We never see how society as a whole is pushing back against these super beings. We see one woman trying to instill doubt. We don't see an entire organization doing it. Ultimately it's revealed that she's working for a Hydra knock off...and okay, sure, fine....but the main drive of the film was one woman trying to make these people doubt themselves.

Seeing society as a whole push back against them is much more powerful. And a very true to life experience. Think back through history at all the times human society has backlashed against exceptional people. It's a common reaction. Which is honestly why I think the secret society thing was unneeded. I think it's much more powerful if we see normal society reject these super people.

But regardless, the theme the twist raises is never explored. It's merely used as a"GOTCHA!" tactic, which is why it leaves little to no emotional impact.

I get what you're saying and agree.

I did get a little of that, just based solely on the fact that they were institutionalized. That might have landed a certain way with me based on my own life experiences (and people I have known) that make something like this (or, more powerfully, the movie Unsane from last year...that hit me like a ton of bricks, but everyone I saw it with were unmoved) hit me harder than it might hit most people. But you're right that society rejecting and trying to "hold down" people isn't REALLY explored as well as it could have been, and it was overcome almost immediately after it was revealed.

After thinking about it more....I'm really liking this movie a lot.

I like that the ending is NOT cliche.

For people hating the last act....how would you change it???

This fits Unbreakable perfectly.....they were both grounded superhero movies and a fitting sequel to Unbreakable.
Just saw it.
I am in complete agreement with you.

I was thinking about that a lot. Because Split almost has nothing to do with comic books, superheroes, and supervillains which is why the twist ending of Split worked great making it a surprise sequel to Unbreakable.

BUT you can watch Unbreakable then go straight to Glass....watching Split just gave more depth understanding The Horde and his arc. In Glass, The Hordes's origin is explained and sprinkled and he has more screen time than both Glass and Dunn anyways.

So to me, I think you can watch Unbreakable then Glass...We already know Dunn and Glass and now watching straight to Glass...it introduces a new villain who has split personalities where you can just piece together from dialogues and flashbacks in Glass.

But some may argue that you NEED to watch Split to understand fully of The Horde.

But if your just a Dunn and Elijah fan you can skip Split without skipping a beat.
Saw it today.
Having not seen Split,
I did not feel as if I missed out on anything.

I was expecting to come here and see you guys tear this movie apart but it seems the consensus is you guys really liked this. I haven't seen it but I'm getting the feeling that its one of those movies thats...technically well made but the creative decisions could make or break your experience, yes?

I was expecting to come here and see you guys tear this movie apart but it seems the consensus is you guys really liked this. I haven't seen it but I'm getting the feeling that its one of those movies thats...technically well made but the creative decisions could make or break your experience, yes?
Yes.

I don't know. I felt the script was riddled with lots of issues beyond the creative decisions, and there are a few plot holes and contrivances filtered throughout to the point where the script is almost incompetent.

Currently working on an in depth spoiler breakdown, because theres a lot to talk about with this movie. Definitely interested in discussing it.

I don't know. I felt the script was riddled with lots of issues beyond the creative decisions, and there are a few plot holes and contrivances filtered throughout to the point where the script is almost incompetent.

Currently working on an in depth spoiler breakdown, because theres a lot to talk about with this movie. Definitely interested in discussing it.

Why is the doctor even in the comic shop at the end? That made no sense.

Why is the doctor even in the comic shop at the end? That made no sense.
Her character is all over the place, but based on her final moments with Elijah, my guess would be that she went to pay her respects to the three leads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"