Mad Max

James

Built from Lego
Reaction score
Surprised there's no thread for this yet!

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces post-apocalyptic open world action game Mad Max
Debuting for Next-Gen, Current-Gen Consoles and PC in 2014

LONDON UK. – 11th June, 2013 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announced Mad Max , a new open world, third-person action game where players become Mad Max, a lone warrior in a savage post-apocalyptic world where cars are the key to survival. The game will debut for PlayStation®4, Xbox One® the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, the Xbox 360® games and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 system and Windows® PC.

Scheduled for release in 2014, Mad Max will deliver dynamic, open-world gameplay where gamers fight to stay alive in The Wasteland, using brutal on-ground and vehicular combat against vicious gangs of bandits. Players are challenged with treacherous missions as they scavenge the dangerous landscape for supplies to build the ultimate combat vehicle.

“Mad Max places gamers directly into the driver’s seat of their ultimate customized vehicle to battle it out in the action-packed, open world of The Wasteland,” said Samantha Ryan, Senior Vice President, Production & Development, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “We are very pleased to work with Avalanche Studios to provide a next generation gaming experience with robust fighting paired with dynamic vehicular combat."

“Over a decade of creating open world experiences has led us to this point,” said Christofer Sundberg, Avalanche Studios Co-founder and Chief Creative Officer. “The Wasteland lends itself incredibly well to the high level of player freedom with which Avalanche Studios has become synonymous. This unforgiving environment inspired us to create a gritty and diverse experience where driving, fighting and scavenging are essential for survival.”

Mad Max is under development by Avalanche Studios. For more information, visit www.madmaxgame.com, Facebook.com/MadMaxGame and Twitter.com/MadMaxGame.
Have to wait and see some gameplay, but the premise alone has me pretty damn excited! I love post-apocalyptic stuff and Mad Max is a particular favorite. This could work out to be very cool indeed.

Here's some images, under the spoiler tag because they're large:

_bmuploads_2013-06-11_4162_blackjack_e3_banner_38x70_3000px_1_jpg_1400x0_q85.jpg

image_mad_max-22324-2755_0001.jpg

image_mad_max-22324-2755_0002.jpg

image_mad_max-22324-2755_0003.jpg

I wonder who will be voicing Max?

I seriously hope the Thunderdome is in it somewhere.

This seems like the kind of game that will never come out.

Whatta buncha negative Nancies :whatever:

Anyway, here's the trailer from E3.

Man, when I heard it was the guys behind Just Cause 2...I got excited.

I'm happy to hear that the game isn't tied into either of the movies. Not even Fury Road, which I think is supposed to come out next year? Though, who the hell knows. That film has suffered a ton of delays.

Avalanche being able to do their own thing, sounds like they have enough freedom to make interesting. I've heard the gameplay demo people have seen was pretty cool. The car combat is supposed to be a main focus, and customizing and rebuilding your interceptor is a part of it.

I'm a big fan of Mad Max, so I'm certainly interested.

So apparently there's been some furore over the fact that Max will have an American accent in this.

Usually, this sort of complaint doesn't bother me, but this time I really get it. That character -and franchise- is Australia's big contribution to Sci-fi. It doesn't bode well that the developers dont really seem to care about that.

I think Avalanche, treating this like a new IP since it's not about Mel Gibson's Max or Tom Hard's upcoming Max, might give them that kind of freedom.

But, I do agree. Max Rockatansky is Australian. And the wasteland he inhabits is in Australia. How many iconic fictional characters from Australia have managed to make the crossover, and make the kind of impression and STILL be an inspiration for fiction now...and to Americanize that, with Max himself, is wrong.

I'm one that could careless about races or accents or any of that in games but this is one that is wrong. Just the fact that Mel had that ridiculous over board accent says that he needs to Austrailian, its very important to the character.

I didn't know Mel's accent was fake. I thought he was a real Aussie?

I mean, as far fictional characters that are Aussies, there's only two that I can think of at the top of my head. Crocodile Dundee and "Mad" Max Rockatansky.

Why knock one off that already short list?

Last edited:
His family is Australian but he was born in New York and they moved to Australia when he was like 10 or something like that

I could see an accent sticking from that young an age.

And for as little as we know about 'Fury Road', the expectation is that Hardy is going to have an Australian accent, right? I'm kinda hoping that 'Dog' could show up in either, too.

I believe he hammed it up a bit though, I thought I had heard that somewhere, Miller wanted him to go even further with the accent. I hope Hardy has an accent.

I saw the closed door demo at E3. The developers wouldn't tell me who the voice was.

However, one thing I would note is the voice sounded like it could be a temp and they could easily record someone else over later on. Be it Tom Hardy or **** it, Mel Gibson.

I could see an accent sticking from that young an age.

And for as little as we know about 'Fury Road', the expectation is that Hardy is going to have an Australian accent, right? I'm kinda hoping that 'Dog' could show up in either, too.

Yeah he said a while ago that he's using the accent.

Once again, dollars to donuts I bet Warner Bros. will try and pay the extra money to get a big star in there as Max.

Mel IS an Aussie.

It's so weird that..in Lethal Weapon there are scenes where clearly his Aussie accent came through, but in Mad Max Thunderdome it sounded like he was surpressing or losing his accent.

Once again, dollars to donuts I bet Warner Bros. will try and pay the extra money to get a big star in there as Max.

It could be a thing where they can use Hardy as the voice but not his likeness. Kinda like how Thomas Jane did the voicework for that Punisher game a few years ago, but didn't include his likeness.

Yes, I think in the 11th hour they are getting Tom Hardy to go ahead and do Max and just go ahead and keep the current model.

Also something else to remember guys. Sometimes these demos are in the early stages and the final model and voicework isn't done yet.

For example, maybe the plan all along is to get Tom Hardy in this game both likeness and voice, they just haven't cleared that deal yet. Now I'm not saying that's definite. But for example, at E3 I saw a really early demo preview of the Star Trek game in 2011 and the demo did not have Quinto and Pine playing Spock and Kirk yet. They had cleared the likeness rights for the game, but hadn't made a deal to get them to voice the characters again yet.

And the reason I believe this is because its obviously not a coincidence this game is getting made. Warner Bros. spent a ton of money on a new Mad Max movie, so they are looking for some marketing synergy. A lot of gamers are Mad Max fans.

I still want Fallout 4 :p

Might be neat though. I've never like car fights though so it's a bit iffy. Even in GTA I got out to fight.

I'm cautiously optimistic on this one. The images look great, but I don't like the teaser trailer.

I liked the teaser.

I mean, I'm all for a Mad Max game, so maybe my liking the teaser doesn't mean much. I am eager to see gameplay footage, though. It kinda sucks that they have to keep it behind closed doors to avoid negative feedback from people who don't understand how different builds of games work.

The confirmation that they'll stick to his Aussie roots is a very good thing, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"