Magnum P.I.

What idiots at ABC thought they could do this series without a moustache? I suppose he has to go through a long character arc otherwise it won't feel earned? :o

ABC was working on a continuation focusing on Magnum's daughter 30 years later. CBS is doing a full reboot like they did with Hawaii 5-0 without McGarrett's suits or MacGyver with a shooter in his team.

A moustache is more important than a suit or shooter.

A moustache is more important than a suit or shooter.
I think the 80's era USN tight dive trunks are more important than the stache myself. But then my dad sported a stache.

MacGyver never shooting in the original moving towards Jack Dalton blazing away right next to him in the reboot just felt wrong down to the bones.

I don't have a problem with the new Magnum not having a mustache since that was more of a Tom Selleck thing, having had a mustache since the early 70s. Hernandez will have to prove that he can sell his version of Magnum without having to rely on just name recognition alone.

I don't have a problem with the new Magnum not having a mustache since that was more of a Tom Selleck thing, having had a mustache since the early 70s. Hernandez will have to prove that he can sell his version of Magnum without having to rely on just name recognition alone.
Exactly.

[YT]ADAeeJclFIU[/YT]

I stopped watching about 3/4 of the way through. It gave away the whole of the pilot episode. What's the idea of that?

It's supposed to be a trailer, not an abridged version of the episode.

I'm not sure about this. I'll give it a chance, but these seem like a bunch of random guys thrown together. The original cast each had more personality individually. These ones seem more generic.

I stopped watching about 3/4 of the way through. It gave away the whole of the pilot episode. What's the idea of that?

I'm not sure about this. I'll give it a chance, but these seem like a bunch of random guys thrown together. The original cast each had more personality individually. These ones seem more generic.

All/Most of the new show trailers give away the whole pilot. It's been like that for a while now

EDIT: Looks generic as hell, but it is on ABC so...
I mean I'm not hugely tied to the original so that doesn't bother me. But yeah I'm not tuning is doesn't look bad, it just looks very basic. Surprised it's not on CBS the way it looks. Also how many seasons until Magnum and Higgins hook up? And that helicopter thing at the end had me cracking up

Last edited:
All/Most of the new show trailers give away the whole pilot. It's been like that for a while now

EDIT: Looks generic as hell, but it is on ABC so...
I mean I'm not hugely tied to the original so that doesn't bother me. But yeah I'm not tuning is doesn't look bad, it just looks very basic. Surprised it's not on CBS the way it looks. Also how many seasons until Magnum and Higgins hook up? And that helicopter thing at the end had me cracking up

No it is on CBS, the thread was opened back when ABC was developing a continuation about Magnum's daughter. That project was dropped but the thread remains. Now the Hawaii 5-0 team has it for CBS.

Unlike the original show where some think a 5-0 reference was a joke and others think the Jack Lord show was part of the Magnum PI Tommyverse with Simon and Simon and Murder She Wrote, going by the trailer's HPD detective there is no doubt that this show will share a universe with the 2010 Hawaii 5-0. As another Lt Commander Magnum matches McGarrett in rank.

Another thing TC is in Staff Sergeant stripes, either it is a bone headed mistake like The Brave on NBC made with Captain "Top" or TC was not actually a pilot in the Marine Corps this time but maybe an aircrew who now flies for his tourist flight business

Having too young to watch the original (same way I was with the original H50), I'm fine with how this looks so far and the liberties they've taken with the source material. You can definitely tell Justin Lin directed the pilot with how the action scenes are set up, along with the obligatory Sung Kang appearance.

With it now being confirmed that it takes place in the same universe as H50, I guess people are going to have to overlook the Magnum reference they made back in S3E19:
[YT]YoBx0PMNNFI[/YT]

As for the rank issue, I'm hoping they make him a former helicopter crew chief who knows how to fly. It's not unheard of crew chiefs knowing how to fly since I know my brother-in-law was a medic/crew chief on a medevac helo in the Army and he said that he learned to the basics of flying both Chinooks and Blackhawks, mainly in case one of the pilots was incapacitated.

Last edited:

It looks very similar to the 1980 pilot episode. The team ring of a wartime SEAL buddy (I think a French mercenary in the original) and throwing his name just to kill him off. Maybe they will go all out and use the original theme instead of the iconic Magnum PI theme adopted around after the show was put in full production.

They can't drop the iconic Magnum PI theme though. Who remembers that original theme apart from hardcore fans?

I don't know what they'll do about that Hawaii Five-0 Magnum PI reference. I guess they'll have to overlook it if they ever want to have a crossover (which they probably will). They can't really say that there was a TV show made about this particular PI and his friends, because then everyone will know him and he can't ever go undercover.

Or maybe Magnum PI will have to make a reference to the original Jack Lord H50 series.

oh the humanity TWO Ferraris destroyed in that :( oh and female Higgins kicks the ass

[YT]ADAeeJclFIU[/YT]

This looks way better than I thought it would, totally different approach to the character by the guy playing Magnum but he has charisma, and the female Higgins looks badass and with the snarky wit. The action probably wont keep to the level of the pilot, you can see Justin Lin behind it, but hopefully it wont drop too much. This had one of the best openings I've seen for a TV or movie trailer. :D

I was kinda surprised they introduced his team and killed one off straight away, I like that actor as well lol.

This looks way better than I thought it would, totally different approach to the character by the guy playing Magnum but he has charisma, and the female Higgins looks badass and with the snarky wit. The action probably wont keep to the level of the pilot, you can see Justin Lin behind it, but hopefully it wont drop too much. This had one of the best openings I've seen for a TV or movie trailer. :D

I was kinda surprised they introduced his team and killed one off straight away, I like that actor as well lol.

It surprised me that they kept mentioning Nuzzo, sort of like the SWAT reboot that is missing TJ but had two new SWAT team members, but then with the turn in the trailer of the murder I figured that not only was the show a remake but they remade the original's pilot episode with Herc replacing Robert Loggia. I am sure that there will be other small changes aside from Higgens doing a gender swap and TC being first a Staff Sergeant in the Marines and probably later a black ops helo pilot

Harley ans Diablo...
tumblr_orfext57G31v9oda2o1_r1_540.gif

tumblr_orfext57G31v9oda2o2_540.gif

tumblr_orfext57G31v9oda2o3_r1_540.gif

Makes me wish he had survived.

Love Jay Hernandez, honestly when I heard he was cast as Magnum I was like WTF, the same guy who played El Diablo in Suicide Squad? Why don't you just create a new character for Hernandez.
He's a good actor, but is sadly going to get raked for daring to play Magnum.
After the trailer, I kind of feel the same way, after changing so much why don't they just create a new show and character?
But no, it's apparently all about the reboots .

I was never that attached to the original though, and that the more significant Higgins change, is easier for some (me included) to take, than the mustache missing, I find hysterical. :)
They were either going to have someone imitating Selick and the stach which would have looked like parody. Or go in a new direction.

In the end, the trailer and particularly Hernandez do have a similar quality, energy and charm to the original, I think it works, with some Fast-Fu-Car nonsense thrown in, the characters and trailer looks fun.
Jay and the rest seem to click as the new ansamble, and make it their own.

I'll definitely give it a chance. :woot:
2dm6o5.gif

2dm9cw.gif

I think now people are just more upset that they CG-trashed the old Ferrari. LOL sacrilege!:argh:

Last edited:
Is there a way to change the title since the show is on CBS, not ABC?

ABC Readying 'Magnum P.I.' Sequel

Is there a way to change the title since the show is on CBS, not ABC?
Also as things went, it's not so much a sequel, but now a straight reboot.

So is this show officially in the same universe as the Hawaii 5-O reboot?

Last edited:
So is this show officially in the same universe as the Hawai 5-O reboot?

Judging by the pilot clip, yes. The detective who seems to be in the Lt Tanaka role (I have no ideal if the legacy name will be used, since Tanaka came later and wasn't in the original pilot) dropped HPD or 5-0 would handle the case statement.

Saw the pilot and it's totally in the same Universe as Hawaii 5-0. There was an appearance by one of the supporting players from Hawaii 5-0 tonight.

They also cleaned up some mistakes from the trailer. LT Tanaka a legacy from the original Magnum PI has been given his name and they removed TC's Staff Sergeant stripes and gave him a Major's oak leaves. The 5-0 fanatics say that the food vendor information source Kawika is also reoccurring character on 5-0.

I don't remember the food vendor from 5-0. If it was Kamekona, I would have smiled.

I don't remember the food vendor from 5-0. If it was Kamekona, I would have smiled.
Upon further review it turns out they were talking about the chop shop owner who talked to Rick, not the food vendor. I remember him as a surfer friend of Kono's. My 5-0 fanatic friend does say that Taylor Wiley is scheduled for a future Magnum episode

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"