Major Paradox

Dark Phantom

Sing for me!
Reaction score
You guys knew this was coming. it was bound to with somethign as complicated as time travel, but from seeing last night's episode I found a big paradox.

If Future Hiro told Peter Petrelli "Save the cheerleader, save the world", and peter did succeed in saving Claire, then shouldn't that Future Hiro not exist at all?

Basically what I'm saying is, that whole future makes no sense if Claire was saved, because then that effects the outcome of everything else between that point in time and everything afterward. Therefore, that Future Hiro should not exist.

I'm guessing Future Hiro experienced a reality where Sylar stole Claire's power and was not effected by the bomb. He then went back and was able to warn Peter to save Claire. Yet, when he comes back the bomb still goes off. It's very confusing. The only reason i find this a paradox is because usually time travel occurs in a loop. You can't change the past without it still remaining the outcome of that present. Hence, the loop effect.

Apparently, Hiro was chasing a past where Sylar was the "Big Boom", but Peter was the bomb. Everyone apparently thought he killed Claire, took her powers, and thats why he was walked away after blowing up.

I think they kinda explained it in the show, they ( nathan, mohinder and few others) set up a conspirarcy of sylar killing clarie and the blowing up part.

Exactly, thus the time shift has changed creating a different reality, peter and sylar (along with ted) need to die in order for the future to change entirely.

I actually wouldn't mind if those 3 died off.

One is a villain so it was bound to happen.

They other is becoming too powerful so it's to Deux ex Machina (hope i spelled that right).

And Ted really hasn't done anything. I mean he has potential but at this point I wouldn't mind if they got rid of him.

see im not trying to think that hard into the show bc they i could be like how they hell does a human being fly i dont care its entertaining i'll just keep my self in a ******ed state while i watch it so its enjoyable

by f hiro going back and telling peter to save the cheerleader save the world that caused peter to do things that he didnt do in that future. which would be coming into contact with ted. Sylar was the exploding man but in the future, because of the subway stuff everything canged and no one noticed. i.e claire being alive and sylar not being the bomb.

I think they kinda explained it in the show, they ( nathan, mohinder and few others) set up a conspirarcy of sylar killing clarie and the blowing up part.

Bingo, thats it. Theres no paradox only conspiracy. It looks like Claire was protected after Sylar went after her. Who knows maybe that was the future they are headed for.

I just posted about this in the episode thread.

Yes if FutureHiro had Peter stop Sylar from killing Claire then if everything else went as normal, NYC would be intact.

This would create a Paradox. In that if NYC did not explode FutureHiro would not have gone back in time, therefore Peter would not have saved Claire and NYC would have exploded and FutureHiro would have gone back in time...etc

The other thing to note is that in origional timeline, Peter could not have been the bomb. It had to be Sylar (or i guess Ted, but thats not the point).

The reason being is that origionally Peter never met Claire, as Sylar killed her. Therefore he does have her powers.

FutureHiro knows Peter in the future post NYC explosion. He says so to current Peter. B/c of that we must gather that future Peter was never at the explosion, b/c he survived it.

I love time travel.

-casusev

Simple, its the comic book way. Changing the past creates a new future. Generally its the time traveler aware of said changes.

No no no.

You can alter the events that shape destiny, but destiny does not change in the end. I think that's the theme they're playing off of, which is very similar to the events that make up the early parts of the 2002 theatrical release of "The Time Machine" (these events do not exist in the book version)

It's safe to say that they are setting up the plot using this. Think about it, future Hiro was surprised to see past Hiro in Issac's apartment. Why would he be? He should remember that event, right? It IS his past...

Or is it? It's quite possible that by possessing the ability to move through time, Hiro is immune to any changes that may come about as a result of altering it. Future Hiro's past is still a past that he remembers, but no longer exists. Current Hiro is now walking down a path that future Hiro has no knowledge of.

I think this was the subtle hint that was offered up when future Hiro was shot and killed before he could give Hiro the one last piece of advice. Future Hiro had no more advice, because the events of his life no longer happened as he remembered, so any advice he had for current Hiro would be flawed.

That's just my opinion though.

You guys knew this was coming. it was bound to with somethign as complicated as time travel, but from seeing last night's episode I found a big paradox.

If Future Hiro told Peter Petrelli "Save the cheerleader, save the world", and peter did succeed in saving Claire, then shouldn't that Future Hiro not exist at all?

Basically what I'm saying is, that whole future makes no sense if Claire was saved, because then that effects the outcome of everything else between that point in time and everything afterward. Therefore, that Future Hiro should not exist.
No, Hiro went into the past, changed something, and then came back to see that the future had changed.

Did you never watch Back to the Future II?

I actually wouldn't mind if those 3 died off.

One is a villain so it was bound to happen.

They other is becoming too powerful so it's to Deux ex Machina (hope i spelled that right).

And Ted really hasn't done anything. I mean he has potential but at this point I wouldn't mind if they got rid of him.

I'm sorry, do you know what Deus ex machina means?

I'm thinking future Hiro exists because they didn't save the world. That part makes sense. But he should have known that they saved the cheerleader.

I'm sorry, do you know what Deus ex machina means?

Yes.

I believe it's God vs. Machine (something along those lines)
I refuse to do a search and go with what I know if I'm wrong oh well. :)

Something about it deriving from greek plays when the gods would literally come down and solve the problem (from what i remember my teacher saying from script writing class :D ).

but in literary terms i believe it's used to describe a plot that solves itself in a much too convenient way.

So a character like Peter would become so powerful that almost any plot the story has he could probably fix with little effort.

Like at one point whenever Superman ran into trouble they gave him a new power just so he can solve it.

So while I'm sure there are stories that can be told with an all powerful Peter it's seems much more difficult to do and very unlikely.

I'm thinking future Hiro exists because they didn't save the world. That part makes sense. But he should have known that they saved the cheerleader.

Not if he maintains all his memories from alternate timelines. It's not that hard to believe.

Well, when Future Hiro went back in time, he altered the past in such a way that the present-day Hiro (and everyone else) is now going down an alternate timeline. All relativistic physics aside, it's not an unheard of idea in Sci-Fi.

How about this paradox (or plot hole):

In the timeline of Future Hiro, they said Sylar survived the blast because he had Claire's power. But Claire was alive with her brain intact, indicating that he did not have her power at all.

So either Sylar was nowhere near that blast, or he had someone else's healing ability. Either way, that means Future Hiro's warning to Peter, telling him to save Claire, might not really be the answer to the problem.

Didn't Sylar and Peter have a conversation where Sylar mentioned that it was Peter that exploded but he accused Sylar of it?

The whole point, from what I can make out of it, is that even though events might change, the outcome is the same. In future Hiro's original time, before he went back the first time, Sylar was the bomb.
Nobody saved the cheerleader, therefore, Sylar got her power, thus once he exploded, he regenerated, etc. Which means Peter would have never met her, thus never got her power, thus couldn't have been the bomb.

Once Hiro went back and got Peter to save the cheerleader, that means Sylar couldn't be the bomb, because he's not stupid enough to blow himself up without being able to regenerate. But the events don't seem to effect the outcome. In this new forged time line, Peter had the ability to regenerate, and ended up blowing up.

It's not really a paradox. Future Hiro goes back in time and tells Petrelli to save Claire. In the future he doesn;t know that Claire is alive, so this is consistent. Also Sylar isn't actually the one who blows up. In the future the only reason Hiro thinks that Sylar is the bomb is because everybody (Nathan etc.) have covered up Peter's role as the bomb by blaming it on Sylar. So actually there isn't a paradox.

I see it one of two ways:

1) mentallica has it right.

2) Sylar DID blow up in Future Hiros past. But when he went back in time and tld Peter to save Claire, the events changed. Now Peter is the one who blows up, but he blames it on Sylar. Sylar whacked Nathan and faked being him, etc.

Yes.

I believe it's God vs. Machine (something along those lines)
I refuse to do a search and go with what I know if I'm wrong oh well. :)
not God vs. Machine, but god on/from/as a machine, but you got the general idea right.

I see it one of two ways:

1) mentallica has it right.

2) Sylar DID blow up in Future Hiros past. But when he went back in time and tld Peter to save Claire, the events changed. Now Peter is the one who blows up, but he blames it on Sylar. Sylar whacked Nathan and faked being him, etc.
I don't think Peter blamed it on Sylar. that was the doing of others. Peter just went along with it after some convincing, i'm sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"