"Make America Great Again!": The TRUMP Thread!!! - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
All Streep did was criticize Trump for mocking a handicapped man and advocate freedom of the press, so I don't really see an issue with what she said, except it was arguably not the appropriate time and place to bring it up.

She expressed an ignorant viewpoint about MMA, considering UFC as an organization is made up of many foreigners and immigrants, who are also UFC champions. Conor McGregor is a foreigner. Jose Aldo is from Brazil. They have fighters from many different countries all employed on their roster. She's arguably discriminating against a hard working group of people who could also be considered largely foreigners and outsiders.

Arguably, she's acting no different than how she feels about those she's criticizing.

All Streep did was criticize Trump for mocking a handicapped man and advocate freedom of the press, so I don't really see an issue with what she said, except it was arguably not the appropriate time and place to bring it up.

When is the appropriate time and place? Unless it's someone's funeral, then I don't see the issue. People complain about boring awards shows, but then complain when someone dares speak their minds. She did it in an elegant way, using her time that was given to her. It's not like she was presenting and did it then.

Plus it's effing Meryl Streep.

I'd say elegant until the end then it became muddled. Marvolo explained it meant the arts, people inventing things being foreigners as well while football is an American invention and so is mixed martial arts (?). Should have been much more clearer on that though since I even blanched hearing the ending since every business has foreigners actively contributing.

I'd say elegant until the end then it became muddled. Marvolo explained it meant the arts, people inventing things being foreigners as well while football is an American invention and so is mixed martial arts (?). Should have been much more clearer on that though since I even blanched hearing the ending since every business has foreigners actively contributing.

MMA was started by the Gracies way before they brought it to America. It was actually banned in most places because it was intended to be no holds barred fighting pitting any style against another that wanted to fight. Then Dana White bought the rights to and made it what it is today.

MMA was started by the Gracies way before they brought it to America. It was actually banned in most places because it was intended to be no holds barred fighting pitting any style against another that wanted to fight. Then Dana White bought the rights to and made it what it is today.

Ah, so even there that means of stating it wouldn't be accurate then. Unsure why she included those two things in the end. Didn't need it and presents point more clearly without that tag. I think the fact that everyone's arguing about the semantics of it readily shows the tag wasn't as clear as it could have/should have been.

She made a comment about MMA not being of the arts in her opinion.... she made NO mention about the people involved.

Definitely seemed like it.

“So Hollywood is crawling with outsiders and foreigners. And if we kick them all out you’ll have nothing to watch but football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.”

It's an ignorant, discriminatory statement, and it does make an ignorant notion about the people who make up the world of mixed martial arts.

Ah, so even there that means of stating it wouldn't be accurate then. Unsure why she included those two things in the end. Didn't need it and presents point more clearly without that tag. I think the fact that everyone's arguing about the semantics of it readily shows the tag wasn't as clear as it could have/should have been.
She made an ignorant, uninformed, false statement.

I have no problem with Streep making some kind of political statement in disagreement of Trump. My problem is that she came off in a snobby, elitist way that disgraced a whole industry that is full of and widely employs immigrants, foreigners and people Streep might also describe as "outsiders."

I'm not going to argue the merits of sport as art. IMHO, art is subjective. Not my responsibility to convince people that MMA is art. My problem is that she basically disgraced and dismissed an industry that gives foreigners a ton of work they wouldn't get elsewhere and has helped many foreigners and immigrants make a living.

Good job everyone, you fell for Trump's distraction technique.

Good job everyone, you fell for Trump's distraction technique.

Distraction from what exactly? Whatever technique doesn't take away Streep being discriminatory, ignorant and disgracing a group of hard working people.

Distraction from Trump's sins, his becoming president, and the problems people have with his appointments? I mean, there's no getting or distracting around that. All of that's out there in the public now.

I think the distraction is a nice side benefit for him. But he generally tweets because he is that thin skinned and needs to rebut every slight in the most over the top way.

OK and? It doesn't mean I'm not allowed to point it out when Meryl Streep does it.

Trump is the President Elect, Streep is just an actor, one of these people's words is more important then the other.

Seriously what difference does Streep's words make? She has no real power, Trump is about to become the most powerful man in the world. If Trump was still just a reality star I wouldn't hold him to the same standard as the President, but now that he is the President, he should be held to a higher standard then other celebs.

Trump is the President Elect, Streep is just an actor, one of these people's words is more important then the other.

Seriously what difference does Streep's words make? She has no real power, Trump is about to become the most powerful man in the world. If Trump was still just a reality star I wouldn't hold him to the same standard as the President, but now that he is the President, he should be held to a higher standard then other celebs.

There seems to be a lot of talk lately about celebrities views considering how hard they stumped for Clinton and ones who won't perform at Trump's inauguration.

What different it makes is that Streep still presented a false narrative and made a discriminative, ignorant statement on her platform. It got brought up here, and we are discussing it. So I'm discussing it as well.

Trump is like palpatine at this point.

Good.....Good.

There seems to be a lot of talk lately about celebrities views considering how hard they stumped for Clinton and ones who won't perform at Trump's inauguration.

What different it makes is that Streep still presented a false narrative and made a discriminative, ignorant statement on her platform. It got brought up here, and we are discussing it. So I'm discussing it as well.

I think all this talk of celebs in a thread about the President and his policies is infotainment rather then discussion on important information.

Trump and his policies are far more important then twitter battles he has with celebs.

Distraction from what exactly? Whatever technique doesn't take away Streep being discriminatory, ignorant and disgracing a group of hard working people.

If only conservatives got this upset when Trump did **** like mock the disabled, make ridiculous claims about Muslims, or attacking a judge because of his national background.

Funny, but sad. It's a reminder of how hard they railed against everything Obama did, and a test if they'll put half the effort into doing the same with Trump. It's obviously funny how he just crossed off Harry Reid's name, and scribbled McConell's name over it, and sent McConell his own letter back. I say sad because the Republicans gave Obama a tough time over his nominations. Yet pretty much the same people seem like they're wanting to rush along Trump's very questionable picks. If Obama had made the same choices as Trump in the same time frame, Republicans would be raising hell. It makes me worry if they really will hold Trump's feet to the fire, or be his yes men as long as he throws them a few bones from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"