man is surprised when his heart stops from overdosing on Red Bulls

DorkyFresh

Sum Dum Goy
Reaction score
i have to ask the age old question....why is it called "common sense" when it's not so common?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...d-bull-overdose/2007/08/18/1186857834956.html

"A MAN whose heart stopped after he consumed eight Red Bull energy drinks in five hours has called for an overhaul of the product's warning labels.

Matthew Penbross, 28, collapsed after downing the popular drinks, each containing 80 milligrams of caffeine, last Sunday.

He drank the Red Bull while competing in a motocross event on the state's Mid North Coast.

His heart stopped and he needed defibrillation from ambulance officers.

Now facing six weeks off work, he said warning labels on the products should be revamped to alert people that excessive consumption could lead to death. Labels currently warn against consuming more than two cans, or 1.5 bottles a day, without describing the consequences.

"They say [on energy drink labels] don't have more than this much," Mr Penbross said.

"But they don't say if you have too much, what will happen."

Dr Malcolm Barlow, a cardiologist who treated Mr Penbross at Newcastle's John Hunter Hospital, said it appeared excessive consumption of energy drinks had precipitated the heart attack.

He said Mr Penbross had no other risk factors apart from smoking and had told him he previously experienced chest pain at times when his intake of the drinks was high.

NSW Health has urged people to be extremely cautious of overdosing on stimulant products. Department spokesman Dr Robert Batey said consuming high levels of stimulants had the potential to cause heart attacks.

"It will raise blood pressure and pulse rate and both of those things put a significant demand on the heart."

Mr Penbross, a concreter, regularly had four Red Bull drinks a day.

"With the work I do I don't have a lot of time to eat," he said. "I have a couple of Red Bulls in the morning and it carries me through."

Last Sunday he was competing in a motocross event near Port Macquarie when he consumed eight Red Bulls over five hours.

"It was to get a bit of a buzz and keep down my reaction time," he said. "You have got to get off [the mark] and around the first corner first."

After his event, Mr Penbross, from Bonny Hills, noticed his heart racing. He collapsed soon after

He was taken to Port Macquarie Hospital before being flown to Newcastle.

There is no history of heart disease in the family and Mr Penbross is in peak physical condition.

Mr Penbross said he had sworn off Red Bull.

A spokeswoman for Red Bull said she was unable to comment on Mr Penbross's case, but that the product label was clear in advising against excessive consumption. She said labelling requirements for energy drinks were set by the Federal Government."

i love how he tries to pin his stupidity on his job...as if there are no concreters out there that actually eat, you know, FOOD!

Thinning out the gene pool, one drink and one moron at a time.

No other risk factors apart from smoking.

I don't do any drugs besides heroin.

surely i've had 8 red bulls in a night... with yager and tuaca and everything.

and i've never died.

Redbull, it gives you wings...and heart palpitations.

I'm a fan of the energy drinks when I go out since I don't do the alcohol thing, but yeah...too many in one sitting and you start to feel like you're going to explode, literally.

surely i've had 8 red bulls in a night... with yager and tuaca and everything.

and i've never died.

Same here, can't help buying so many if they're on offer.

Friend of mine and I drank around 8 cans...just left us in a laughing fit for the rest of the night. I regularly drink them with vodka when I go out, too.

The warning labels should be revised, I mean only saying not to drink more than 2 in a day isn't enough, I need to know the exact consequences, maybe it excessive peeing or increased heartrate or uncontrollable dirahhea. I wouldn't want the increased heartrate and as a concreter I don't have the time to even eat, let alone having to pee so much and/or deal with dirahhea.

Dude, I only have like one energy drink in like a week. But 8 in five hours, thats waaaaaayy to much.

Red Bull is nasty, SoBe Adrenaline Rush is where it's at.

That's funny we had some guy come to the ER several days ago for the same thing. He drank 6 energy drinks and took 4-5 caffeine pills. It was hilarious! His muscles were shaking like crazy...like he was shivering cause he was cold, but times 100.

We asked him why he took so much. He stated that he wanted to keep his energy up for a date.

There used to be this energy drink called "Fire". It was made from dragonfruit, and quite delicious. Sadly, I've not been able to find any as of late. :csad:

This reminds me of a 17 year old girl in the UK recently who overdosed on 14 coffees, taken in under 4 hours!

She was laughing and weeping uncontrollably then fell asleep. She woke up with a raging temperature, palpitations and breathing difficulties, but recovered in hospital.

At first glance, I thought Sohmer had finally done the impossible. :o

^Lee would overdose on paint thinner if it was available. :o

I've only had one Red Bull in my entire life. That was 3 years ago.

-TNC

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"