Man of Steel: Comic Book Inspirations

TheWiseGuy487

Feelin’ good (Undecided/still figuring out)
Reaction score
Seeing as how many people on these boards and on the web have been comparing certain parts and story elements from the different footage we've seen thus far to various comic book sources, I thought I'd create a thread to list all of the ones that come to mind.

So, here they are:

All-Star Superman
: Jor-El says these words ("In time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.") specifically to Kal-El at one point in this work, much like in the film. Also, Pa Kent's various advice to Clark and his death in this particular iteration very much seem to influence Clark's role as Superman, much like in Man of Steel.

Superman: Secret Identity - Though not the Clark Kent from the comics, this particular work explores how a superhuman being like Superman would exist in our world, and how other people, particularly the military, would react to him, like in the movie. He has very real emotions and reactions to certain situations, and also has a conflict between maintaining his secret identity and helping others in his teenage years.

Superman: Earth One - A very angsty take on the Man of Steel, the majority of the comic has him coming to terms with his role as a superhero. Some elements of the alien invasion in this comic (a vengeful, ruthless alien being threatening to launch a full-scale attack on Metropolis with a doomsday device which leads to much collateral damage) could have influenced the attack Zod and his cronies leads on Metropolis in the film, which Clark also helps defend against. Clark also doesn't become a reporter for the Daily Planet until the very end.

Superman: Secret Origins - Clark Kent's remark and Jonathan Kent's response to Clark being his son ("I want to be your son." "Clark...You are my son.") is almost lifted wholesale from this comic.

Superman for All Seasons - Superman's humble beginnings in Metropolis probably served some inspiration for this film. Also, Clark helps save the entirety of Smallville from a raging tornado, like in the film. Lex is also a corporate businessman.

The Man of Steel - Marked the first time Superman's origins were rebooted and was taken back to his roots. Lex is also a businessman, like in the movie's universe. Henry Cavill's appearance as Superman is very similar to John Byrne's illustrations of the Man of Steel.

Superman: Birthright - This comic probably serves as the main inspiration for Man of Steel.

The idea that Jor-El sends baby Kal-El to Earth fully knowing that the Earth's yellow sun will give him powers beyond imagining, and his supposition that he will be Earth's "Man of Tomorrow", is taken from here in some aspects.

At one point in the comic, Clark flies over a herd of Zebra in an African plain, much like a piece of footage shown in a recent featurette.

Also, Clark travels the world and performs "good deeds" by saving people, and Lois Lane tracks and reports on his exploits, much like in the film. Pa Kent's skepticism of Clark and remark that he is not from this world is somewhat taken from this comic, though it's much different here than in the film.

Martha Kent being a conspiracy theorist is somewhat used in the film, as we see a board with a bunch of newspaper clippings of extraterrestrial activity and sightings posted on a board in an underground compartment of the Kent shed, though it seems that Jonathan has taken on that role in the film. Also, Clark being the answer to alien life and people being afraid of the possibility of an alien living among them seems to come to play in the film.

We hear Jonathan use this particular quote word-for-word ("People fear what they don't understand.") in the Comic-Con trailer, though it's used in reference to Lex in the comic, not Clark.

Also, Lex, like in this comic, even though he's not in this film, is most likely a corporate businessman in the movie's universe, as we see a Lexcorp building for a split second in the third trailer.

And even though the Kryptonian invasion in the comic turns out to be a ruse created by Lex to cause people to distrust Superman, elements of the invasion seem to be utilized within the film.

The House of El symbol meaning "hope" is used wholesale in the film.

New 52 - The suit here shares some minor similarities with the film suit (no briefs on the outside).

Action Comics - Superman being slightly weaker and struggling with very large objects is probably taken somewhat from the very first iteration of Superman. Also, the film suit, mainly the emblem, seems to draw inspiration from Superman's original costume.

New Krypton/War of the Supermen - Superman's loyalties are tested between Earth and Krypton. Also, both stories have a strong emphasis on Zod's leadership and political beliefs.

If there are any others you can think of, such as comic book panel or words, post them and I'll add them to my list.

Last edited:
The Death and Return of Superman and Red Son are also worth picking up, simply because Cavill cited those stories as heavily influencing his performance.

I would say the New Krypton and War of the Supermen series as well, since they are about Superman's loyalties tested between Earth and Krypton. Also, the story has a strong emphasis on Zod's leadership and political beliefs.

Thats pretty good ,but ALL versions of Jor El sent his son to Earth to protect him, that is not exclusive to Birthright.

I would say the New Krypton and War of the Supermen series as well, since they are about Superman's loyalties tested between Earth and Krypton. Also, the story has a strong emphasis on Zod's leadership and political beliefs.

Thanks. I'll add that to the list.

Thats pretty good ,but ALL versions of Jor El sent his son to Earth to protect him, that is not exclusive to Birthright.

You're probably right about that. I'll edit it to be more specific.

You all pretty much covered the ones that stand out. Cavill also mentioned Red Son and the Return and Death of Superman as a couple of the books he read.

You can also see Byrne's The Man of Steel's influence on the depiction of Krypton is this film. Both in terms of visuals and the emphasis on genetic engineering and technology run wild. Jor-El being a bit of a rebel against the Kryptonian way of life and wanting something better for his son.

You can also see Byrne's The Man of Steel's influence on the depiction of Krypton is this film. Both in terms of visuals and the emphasis on genetic engineering and technology run wild. Jor-El being a bit of a rebel against the Kryptonian way of life and wanting something better for his son.

I was actually surprised they went the genetic-engineering route, with the whole 'Genesis Chamber' and 'Growth Codex' like the 'Birthing Matrix' on Byrne's run. Can't wait to see it all and it does open up a lot of possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"