Man of Steel Positive Reflections and Discussion Thread

I absolutely adore, love Man of Steel.

My love for the character of Superman doesn't mean I will simply like every film with him in it, Superman IV was a massive set back and I think much that has been written in the past few years about MoS in all areas, box office, controversial endings/killings/neck snap, some is held at the door of previous films decline in quality, some in the character himself being 'out of vogue'.

From my point of view, a character that stands for the best of humanity can NEVER be out of vogue, he is US, he is what we'd want to be.

It was a 'hard sell' to re-boot from scratch, brave too, given Superman (1978), and all it achieved with such love, resonance and capture of all that was created back in the '30's.

IMO, they got it right, on the whole, for all the gripes listed above in 'controversy', they, on the whole, got the esscence of the character spot on for a modern audience. For me Superman : The Movie is my 'go to' film, my love for it is beyond any other film, but I see it's ideals are not going to fit 21st Century culture and the genre itself has moved on as have audience expectations for visual style and SFX.

MOS gave us all that IMO and in Cavill, we have at last, have an equal to Reeve who truly 'gets' the character and his trappings, his inner soul. Surrounded by quality supporting cast and Snyder's usual eye for a shot, I think MoS combined the emotion, spectacle and laid down the wider universe really well, and for me, the chemstry between Amy and Henry is on another level, it works like the old '40's films for me, they fit so well together.

Last edited:
I loved MoS as well. Do I think it's a perfect movie? No, but it checked most of the boxes I was looking for.

I was mostly curious about the modern take of Superman that Goyer had pitched to Nolan, and I get it. Like many of you, I grew up on Christopher Reeve's Superman. The modern take had several layers with the first being... he's an alien. People would freak the **** out. When Christopher Reeve's Superman mentions his alien heritage to Margot Kidder's Lois Lane, it's almost a throwaway line. And she takes it in stride. I almost expect her to respond, "Krypton? I don't get out there much, I heard it's beautiful this time of year!"

While I have some reservations with Clark letting Jonathan die, I felt Costner played his part very well. I also think the way he and Martha raised Clark gives hints to the destruction caused at the end of the movie. Clark was taught his whole life to control and avoid using his powers, and stay out of trouble, especially fights! He has just learned how to fly and a day or two later he has to deal with multiple Kryptonians with the same powers he possesses, except they aren't afraid to unload, so to speak.

As much as I respect Waid (who knows far more about this character than I ever will), I respectfully disagree with his assessment that Clark was careless to civilians during the Battle of Metropolis. My view, disagree if you will, is Clark basically got his ass kicked that entire fight. If I could change anything it would be to convey that he's really in over his head. On one hand, he is naturally stronger and more durable because of his extended exposure to the sun. On the other hand, he is fighting someone who has been bred to fight, while Clark has spent his whole life avoiding confrontation.

Perhaps Clark could have flown up when Zod was trying to incinerate the family, and maybe this was an oversight. But it already stated that if Clark failed, Zod would proceed to murder every human on the planet. The movie established that someone this powerful could not be contained, and the idea of throwing Zod into the Phantom Zone is ironic since it would end with his death.

On a superficial note, MoS satisfied my wish to see the fight from Superman 2 (Clark vs the three villains) with modern effects. It also delivered on my desire to see Superman fight an opponent(s) as powerful as him.

I could go on all day, and we're just scratching the surface here but I thought the acting was superb, and Snyder is an excellent visual director. I wasn't a fan of the shaky cam for the fight scenes but it did convey what it would look like to us if we were there trying to record everything on our cellphones so we could show our friends. i.e. the realism the movie tries to convey is what if Superman was really here. Call me a shill but I was sold.

Watched this again in anticipation of BvS, how anyone can watch the first hour of the movie then claim the movie is devoid of emotion is just beyond me. Pretty much every kid Clark moment gets me right in the feels.

Watched this again in anticipation of BvS, how anyone can watch the first hour of the movie then claim the movie is devoid of emotion is just beyond me. Pretty much every kid Clark moment gets me right in the feels.

Because.... :sigh: the **** if I know. I guess we need over-the-top emotion, something on par with a soap opera perhaps. Emotion cannot be subtle to them.

I agree I found Clark to be so relatable, he felt so real. His fear when his powers were manifesting, his reaction to being told he wasn't from Earth. That scene where he stood up for the waitress, how many of us have been there watching some jerk wanting to do something but the other person won't let us. How many people have been an outsider, had trouble making friends? Haven't we all wondered who we are, longed for the answer, struggled to find our place in the world. How is Clark not relatable how is he not human? How is his struggle bland? I don't understand how anyone could not emotionally connect to Clark, he could not be more human, just how I don't understand.

I agree I found Clark to be so relatable, he felt so real. His fear when his powers were manifesting, his reaction to being told he wasn't from Earth. That scene where he stood up for the waitress, how many of us have been there watching some jerk wanting to do something but the other person won't let us. How many people have been an outsider, had trouble making friends? Haven't we all wondered who we are, longed for the answer, struggled to find our place in the world. How is Clark not relatable how is he not human? How is his struggle bland? I don't understand how anyone could not emotionally connect to Clark, he could not be more human, just how I don't understand.

That scene is so overlooked, it's so Superman.

I know this post is a month or so after the last, but I've just read this last page and I find it interesting to see the great thought you guys have put into how you view the movie.

The criticisms that MoS and BvS have largely got outside of the pacing and editing of the story, is that it wasn;t "faithful" to the source.

What these critics have overlooked is that this is a new interpretation of the character and his story. For example if we look over the source material, Lois does not find out Superman and Clark Kent are the same person for what 50 years worth of comic books?? In MoS, as a Pulitzer Prize winning investigative journalist she is able to deduce who is this strange visitor from another world is. She is then responsible for bringing Clark into the Daily Planet fold.

Much like how in the 'Nolan-verse" Glass is found to be the killer of the Waynes and not some anonymous criminal.. The story is changed and due to it, so do the characters.

So when things unfold in MoS and BvS they do so to suit this new "Synder-verse" that has been created along the way.

The repercussions of the ending of MoS are felt all the way through BvS, and so it should. We today are still reeling from the effects of 9/11 - if what happened in MoS happened AND that a man flying around the planet with the powers of God walked among us, it would indeed change everything.

I'm not saying that either film is not flawed, but I will say that much of the criticisms the stories receive are ridiculous. In this world Lex Luthor is young and his inferiority complex has effected his genius mind into something sinister, almost insane... Yes, he's not the Luthor we have come to expect in the comic world, but it is in "Snyder-verse". So people need to get over that.

Sorry for the rant, much like everyone else, I’ve been bombarded by hate for MoS and BvS...

Getting back to the positivity, the opening sequence hits me and every time I watch it, it transforms me into a kid watching movies and cartoons from my youth. It’s so powerful. Fast forwarding to Superman fighting Zod and Furora and Namek and then Zod again is an assault on the senses and in a good way. It is exhausting but I think intentionally.

Zod just cannot be stopped. No matter how many buildings crumble around him, he won’t tire, he won’t stop his promise of executing the whole human race. Superman had to stop him, he didn’t know how, the desperation was there, you could see on his face he had no real answer to stopping the chaos, the killing, and was driven to doing what he did. And the action immediately broke his heart in doing so...

Yes, they could have written a whole different screenplay, but they went with this story and it is a powerful one

The first time I watched MOS, I didn't really like it, for whatever reason it just didn't click for me. Anyway, I watched it again earlier this year in preparation for BVS and wow, it was like I was seeing it for the first time. Really liked it the second time around and it's gotten better each time after that.

It's certainly not perfect (the script was a little iffy at times) but there are so many things that I love about it.

The flashbacks to kid Clark, they really got to me, particularly the one when he's sort of discovering his powers while in school and he's hiding in the closet and looking through the door at the other kids, the look on his face just gets me every time. I also especially liked the flashback where he's getting bullied and he's holding onto the pole and then you see that the pole's been bent due to how hard he was holding onto it. The flashback with the red cape tied around his neck was near perfection

Loved Ma Kent, 'nice suit son' lol, I think she's awesome.

The score, I love the score so much, it's simple but epic and it just fits the movie and the character so well. Listening to it after knowing what happens at the end of BVS, it gives me the feels.

I thought Clark Kent was really relatable, he wasn't perfect and he was struggling to find his place in the world, just like everyone else. The flashbacks really helped with this as well, I think everyone can relate to that feeling of wanting to be like the other kids and trying to find your place in the world and your purpose in life and what you want to do with your life. That is so relatable and I think everyone struggles with that to a certain degree.

Lastly, the ending, thought it was perfect.

Watched this again today, going to watch BvS tonight, MOS is still damn good, and such an under rated movie for me. The movie has no emotion? Then how come there are a number of scenes which almost have me in tears? The movie has no substance? Then why can I totally feel Supermans scream at the end after he kills Zod, and by extension, the last link to his birth race?

It's still the best DCCU for so far for me as most things with it just click in the right way. There are still some brilliant decisions in the movie as well, the first scene being his birth, so we have an instant connection which just grows through the child hood flash backs and Clarks struggles growing up.

It's the best DCEU film of all three and I love BvS (Ultimate Edition) so much aswell, Suicide Squad was damn enjoyable too but third overall. Man of Steel though, to me it's a damn near perfect film.

I watched it again earlier...

And I never thought I'd say it, but I've come to fall in love with it. I know it isn't perfect, but I've discovered its true heart and what it was trying to convey through Supes and the world he has to save.

Just re-watched the movie again, still amazing to me, best DCCU movie so far and the movie has real emotion to it. It's one of Snyder's best for me and as someone who is a Snyder fan I don't say that lightly.

Just re-watched the movie again, still amazing to me, best DCCU movie so far and the movie has real emotion to it. It's one of Snyder's best for me and as someone who is a Snyder fan I don't say that lightly.

Best comic book movie ever for me.

Best comic book movie ever for me.

It's up there for me, the slight edge goes to Superman the Movie for me. But in a modern sense (so post Blade) it's the absolute best for me.

I grew up watching the Christopher Reeve films and loved him in the role. Having said that I was ready for a modern take on the character. As a Christopher Nolan fan and a decades-long Batman fan I was intrigued that Nolan was involved - although I wasn't sure the darker, grounded approach would work for Superman; I was wrong, it grew on me. First time I saw it I rated it 6/10; second time 7.5. Now it's a definite 8.5. I love the story, thought everyone (apart from Amy Adams) was perfectly cast; and for all the incredible effects, my favourite part was Zod's "Now I have no people" speech. Shannon was the standout for me. But the whole thing was great, and yes "criminally underrated".

So was watching old episodes of JLU, Braniac inhabited Lex and was fighting the JL. They destroyed and crashed his ship into the city and buildings, do you think any of them tried to stop it from destroying buildings? Nope! But what Supes did in MoS was soooo unprecedented.

I thought exactly the same.

:up:

So was watching old episodes of JLU, Braniac inhabited Lex and was fighting the JL. They destroyed and crashed his ship into the city and buildings, do you think any of them tried to stop it from destroying buildings? Nope! But what Supes did in MoS was soooo unprecedented.

There are plenty examples of that in the JL cartoon. The comics as well. In Sacrifice Superman uses his heat vision on Black Rock and he does it so much a civilians camera melts. That's why I never had an issue with it in MOS.

Best film of the DCU and i will continue to defend this film. Having watched scenes on youtube and reading peoples perspective on the film which is has been a nice surprise (generally postive) people are starting to see the film in a new light. Reasons being a damn good superhero film . The ****shows of BVS and JL have amplified this film. It has a coherent storyline. great origins of clark/superman mythos. The action scenes are top notch and havent been topped still. This includes marvel aswell imo. Hans zimmers score wether thats in quiet/emotional scenes /action scenes. Last but not least Zod and Foara. They were fantastic villians and had some great moments overall.

The whole film had range, its such a blast to watch from time to time and hyped up my level of interest for superman. Its up there with the original superman film . Best of the DCU and easily top 5 (for me) post Dark knight franchise 2013 - 2018 of best CBM

Ratings suggest that Man of Steel was at par with other "mediocre marvel movies (IMO)". But most people think those Marvel movie did lot better than MoS when in reality MoS is in the same boat as far as ratings are concerned (Here, I'm not taking the simple RT percentage rating which basically does a head count of Likes vs Dislikes, as I feel that movies don't deserve to be rated in Binary standard.) I think MoS is quite good movie but here I'm going to just put the numbers that can be used to compare MoS with other movies.

Man of Steel, All Critics Average Rating 6.2/10, Audience Score 3.9/5
The Incredible Hulk, All Critics Average Rating 6.2/10, Audience Score 3.6/5
Thor The Dark World, All Critics Average Rating 6.2/10, Audience Score 3.9/5
The Wolverine, All Critics Average Rating 6.3/10, Audience Score 3.7/5
X Men Apocalypse, All Critics Average Rating 5.7/10, Audience Score 3.6/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 2, All Critics Average Rating 5.8/10, Audience Score 3.6/5

Now, Let's look at how Man Of Steel did financially.

Movie Title------------------------
Worldwide Box Office

Man of Steel -------------------$ 668,045,518
Iron Man ------------------------ $ 585,174,222
Thor ------------------- -----------$ 449,326,618
Captain America---------------$ 370,569,774
Iron Man 2 ----------------------$ 623,933,331
Thor:The Dark World-------- $ 644,571,402
Ant-Man --------------------------$ 519,311,965
Ant-Man and the Wasp------ $ 600,846,050
X-Men:First Class------------- $ 353,624,124
X-Men: Apocalypse----------- $ 543,934,787

DVD Sales & Blu-ray Sales

Man of Steel (2013)
Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $112,166,360

Iron Man 3 (2013)
Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $82,338,059

Thor:The Dark World (2013)
Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $79,652,719

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $70,026,424

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $82,204,045

Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Total Est. Domestic Video Sales $77,107,030

So, MoS has sold more DVD and Blu-rays than some of the most popular MCU movies, so it can't be that unsuccessful movie, Eh ?

And, before anyone brings up the so called "Massive" budget of MoS, (to say it was not profitable), It brought in about $170 mil before even releasing. watch this video and read the article.

Man of Steel is a man of product placements - Product Placement News

Lastly, MOS sold a ton of merchandise worth millions that adds up to the profit earned by the movie.

Which Superhero Earns $1.3 Billion a Year?

Any sensible Executive will not let such an important franchise to be dead for a long time, as for the BvS and JL's reception is concerned, both were ensemble movies, so they have little effect on solo Superman movies. If anything, Superman in Justice League was received positively by many.

Last edited:
I remember watching MoS in the cinema for the first time, I did not WALK out of the cinema, I did FLY out of the cinema... contributing to that impression was also that it was the first time I did watch a movie in 3D... i only remember one other movie leaving such an impression on me, The Matrix... MoS is for me the best superhero movie ever made, a masterpiece by Zack Snyder, music and action are unmatched by any other superhero movie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"