Man of Steel Positive Reflections and Discussion Thread

I remember watching MoS in the cinema for the first time, I did not WALK out of the cinema, I did FLY out of the cinema... contributing to that impression was also that it was the first time I did watch a movie in 3D... i only remember one other movie leaving such an impression on me, The Matrix... MoS is for me the best superhero movie ever made, a masterpiece by Zack Snyder, music and action are unmatched by any other superhero movie

Wow this threads a blast from the past eh.

I love love love Man of Steel, it's my favourite modern day superhro movie and the best of the DCEU.

I watched it again last night (wife had gone to see Aquaman - which she loved)
I've watched Man Of Steel probably about 10 times now. Still such a great film.

f.

The ship had a protective barrier around it too from the gravity beam lock which was broken once Superman destroyed the world engine so he couldn’t throw the ship at it as it would have just bounced off.

So you can dislike it and think it’s forced or whatever but the way it’s set up in the film it does make sense.

I also think Superman flying up through the gravity beam towards the engine is one of the most uplifting Superman moments on film ever. The way the music works with the scene is beautiful.

Disagree, it makes no sense at all if superman couldn't get through the gravity beam then how the heck were the military expecting to get through? And in the end col Hardy was able to get the carrier through the beam just fine.
Superman simply could've thrown the ship like a bullet through the barrier without needing to get close to it and that would be that.
There is a reason why the last act of the movie was criticized to no end and it's not just due to superman killing zod, the whole thing made no sense.

Disagree, it makes no sense at all if superman couldn't get through the gravity beam then how the heck were the military expecting to get through? And in the end col Hardy was able to get the carrier through the beam just fine.
Superman simply could've thrown the ship like a bullet through the barrier without needing to get close to it and that would be that.
There is a reason why the last act of the movie was criticized to no end and it's not just due to superman killing zod, the whole thing made no sense.

I’ve replied back in the Cavill thread, I don’t see how it’s derailing a thread where there’s no news.

Also this isn’t the right thread either this is for POSITIVE reactions.

Last edited:
MoS is in Top three movies of DCEU for general audiences, while I consider BvS : Ultimate Cut to be a great movie but it's still a divisive movie, not everyone will enjoy it.

The top 3 DCEU movies that general audiences might find enjoyable (your mileage may vary) are -

(in no particular order) Man of Steel, Wonder Woman, Aquaman.

Man of Steel is one of my favourites movies and i dont get why so many people dislike it.

All the criticism about the movie is foolish.

"Too dark" - Reality is dark. Why do all superhero movies need to be lighthearted ? Why you hate dark movies ? Are you 5 years old ?

"Too serious" - The values Superman represents are a joke to you ? , you dont take them seriously ? Do you even know what Superman stand for ?

"Too much and unecessary destruction and casualties" Realistically speaking thats what you get with an alien invasion lead by a maniac.

"Superman doesnt kill" - Says who ? Superman killed before in the comics , in animated features in TV , and previous live action films. Plus if you do not understand that some time killing is inevitable or a neccessary evil then nothing anyone can say will change your mind and im sorry to tell you you are dead wrong about this.
Lastly im mindblown how someone could watch that particular scene of MOS and not realize Superman didnt have a choice. I guess you wanted that family dead and Zod alive.

Im really very very happy we got to experience the MCU. Its an amazing cinematic experience.

But what i would hate the most is for all superhero films to be lighthearted and full of jokes.
I want some diversity of ideas.
I want some realism.

Im really gratefull for TDK , Watchmen , MoS and BVS.

Lastly i watched a great video about MoS on youtube i thought i would share.

The analysis is great and really shows how deep MoS is and what a great job Snyder has done.

Trully mind blown as i didnt catch all those symbolisms and paralels.

I dont mean to be mean or attack people but imho people who dont like MoS either didnt get what the movie is about or have really really bad taste.

Man of Steel is one of my favourites movies and i dont get why so many people dislike it.

All the criticism about the movie is foolish.

"Too dark" - Reality is dark. Why do all superhero movies need to be lighthearted ? Why you hate dark movies ? Are you 5 years old ?

"Too serious" - The values Superman represents are a joke to you ? , you dont take them seriously ? Do you even know what Superman stand for ?

"Too much and unecessary destruction and casualties" Realistically speaking thats what you get with an alien invasion lead by a maniac.

"Superman doesnt kill" - Says who ? Superman killed before in the comics , in animated features in TV , and previous live action films. Plus if you do not understand that some time killing is inevitable or a neccessary evil then nothing anyone can say will change your mind and im sorry to tell you you are dead wrong about this.
Lastly im mindblown how someone could watch that particular scene of MOS and not realize Superman didnt have a choice. I guess you wanted that family dead and Zod alive.

Im really very very happy we got to experience the MCU. Its an amazing cinematic experience.

But what i would hate the most is for all superhero films to be lighthearted and full of jokes.
I want some diversity of ideas.
I want some realism.

Im really gratefull for TDK , Watchmen , MoS and BVS.

Lastly i watched a great video about MoS on youtube i thought i would share.

The analysis is great and really shows how deep MoS is and what a great job Snyder has done.

Trully mind blown as i didnt catch all those symbolisms and paralels.

I dont mean to be mean or attack people but imho people who dont like MoS either didnt get what the movie is about or have really really bad taste.

It's personal preference.

Up until the release of MOS the vast majority of the GA were aware of superman via Smallville, Donnerverse, Lois and Clark, pop culture/merchandise - that's generally perceived as light hearted and aimed at a younger, family audience - you can agree on that.
Comic readers will understand there is more to superman, esp his earlier adventures.

Thing with superman, a man in a cape and tights saving people, the majority of the audience will want to be entertained and see something cool. Us, die hard fans, a different story.

I wanted this to be great, i really did and what put me off was the directors style and vision, it felt so choppy. I had no issues with dinosaurs on krypton, the sex toys for prison transport, Clark hiding out, no problem with jenny - the neck snap, fine, whatever... what i did regret not seeing is why was clark living life as a nomad, how did it work that he got employment with fake id, what was he planning on doing, it felt so skipped over - i wanted dialogue on that boat around a dim lit table, skipper and crew conversing and we learn more about clark. The bar scene, why was clark there, what was he doing in his spare time, the relationship he appeared to have with the lady that was harrassed - i wanted more meat. The suit - what was it's purpose just sitting there.

Now, it's not too hard to imagine and piece things together but that's not what i wanted i wanted a more complete, layered story.

It's personal preference.

Up until the release of MOS the vast majority of the GA were aware of superman via Smallville, Donnerverse, Lois and Clark, pop culture/merchandise - that's generally perceived as light hearted and aimed at a younger, family audience - you can agree on that.
Comic readers will understand there is more to superman, esp his earlier adventures.

Thing with superman, a man in a cape and tights saving people, the majority of the audience will want to be entertained and see something cool. Us, die hard fans, a different story.

I wanted this to be great, i really did and what put me off was the directors style and vision, it felt so choppy. I had no issues with dinosaurs on krypton, the sex toys for prison transport, Clark hiding out, no problem with jenny - the neck snap, fine, whatever... what i did regret not seeing is why was clark living life as a nomad, how did it work that he got employment with fake id, what was he planning on doing, it felt so skipped over - i wanted dialogue on that boat around a dim lit table, skipper and crew conversing and we learn more about clark. The bar scene, why was clark there, what was he doing in his spare time, the relationship he appeared to have with the lady that was harrassed - i wanted more meat. The suit - what was it's purpose just sitting there.

Now, it's not too hard to imagine and piece things together but that's not what i wanted i wanted a more complete, layered story.

Thats fair. You dont have to like the story of MoS. You dont have to like the movie.

But all the bad criticism the movie got was total BS.

The "too dark , too serious , too much destruction & deaths , superman doesnt kill" critic is moronic.

Thats fair. You dont have to like the story of MoS. You dont have to like the movie.

But all the bad criticism the movie got was total BS.

The "too dark , too serious , too much destruction & deaths , superman doesnt kill" critic is moronic.

I think it's subjective and to call it moronic is kinda...hmm, well i just wouldn't use the term moronic.

I can totally see why some people called; it too serious, when compared to the light hearted tone of lois and clark, as an example; too dark compared to the Donnerverse; too much destruction compared to smallville and too many deaths compared to Returns.

You walk in to MOS with any previous incarnation in mind and you'll find faults and superman to a lot of people is bright, hopeful and corny - that doesn't mean MOS didn't show that, it was just a very different beast.

When i left the cinema i was confused - i liked what i saw but i was not satisfied - the sequel felt like it would be epic. More clark in the office/city, shirt rip, lois and clark relationship chemistry, jimmy olsen - superman saving people from random accidents - MOS didn't focus on that which a lot of us were expecting.

That's why introducing Batman in the way Snyder did was wrong.. it wasn't enough

Well when you complain about too much destruction in an alien invasion what do u call that ?

When you complain about too serious and too dark because of your subjective taste what do you call that ?

Please tell me.

When you say superman doesnt kill like its a law from the constitution what do you call that criticism ?

Just came across this and it invoked some memories of MOS. Superb live performance.

Reactions: Dr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"