What are your top three scenes/sequences from Man of Steel?

In no order

1. Clark coming back to his mother after the battle of Smallville

2. The Krypton Opening

3. "You Are Not Alone"

1. The sequence when Jor-El says "You can save them... you can save all of them" and Superman floats outside of the Black Zero for a moment before speeding off to save Lois.... BAH GAWD!!!!

2. Jor-El steps out to see the coup of Krypton and then calls for H'Raka... Epic is an understatement

3. The battle of Smallville

Having seen the film like a 100 times I think I have a pretty good handle on my top three choices. Not doing them in order of how I like them but order they appear in the film.

First Flight

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-6091.jpg

Of all the first flight scenes in Superman movies (and Supergirl) this one is the best. It's just superb, from the failed attempt (with Jor El's speech throughout) right to Superman booming across the ocean, through the dessert etc. But what sells it is Henry Cavill, the moments where he has a huge grin on his face are great, he really sells the fun that he is having experiencing flight. It's played very much like learning to ride a bike, once you get going you can do it.

Escape From Black Zero

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-10076.jpg

Right from the moment Lois and Superman enter the ship that takes them to the Black Zero, to the 'mind/dream' scene with Zod to Jor El guiding Lois to her escape and finally to Superman speaking with Jor El about the codex and taking off to save Lois. The music in this scene is amazing aswell (why wasn't it on the soundtrack?). It really captured that Sci-Fi feel, reminded me of something you'd have gotten in the Terminator (1984) or the Thing (1982).

This sequence also includes my favourite 'Superman' moment in the whole film. The look he gives Jax Ur is awesome.

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-10043.jpg

The Battle of Smallville

man-of-steel-movie-screencaps.com-11222.jpg

I would rate this sequence as the single greatest action sequence in a comic book movie ever (maybe even cinema for me). It's epic, exhilarating and it looks phenomenal. We have seen some brilliant superhero vs super villain battles on screen in the years since but none of them hold a candle to this one.

So those are my three, the whole Planet Krypton sequence at the start of the movie and Superman vs the World Engine are are also amazing sequences but they were just ousted by the three above.

What are your top three?

Please forgive me. I know this thread is old. I only joined this forum to reply to it. When it comes to Superman Mythos and movie fiction in GENERAL. This film melted my f'n face. This ranks, to me, as one of the best superheeo films of all time. Probably number 1. And i love the Marvel U. Infinity War p1 was really really good, even though everyone I saw it with hated it.

Man of Steel is on an entirely different plane of supremacy. There is only ONE time i found it necessary to suspend my disbelief, beyond what is normally expected from watching a piece of superhuman opera mired in the genre of sci-fi, was Jor-el's weak and dismissive explanation at why the colonies and space exploration had been abandoned.

That would have been a great way for the DC movie universe to somehow loop in an unexplainable phenomenon like Darkseid and Apokalips or Parrallax. And tie it all together. maybe to explain that Supes was already inextricably linked to earth. Etc. etc.

I watched it again last night (wife had gone to see Aquaman - which she loved)
I've watched Man Of Steel probably about 10 times now. Still such a great film.
Best scenes for me was Clark asking his Dad to still be his Dad and Costner saying (and almost choking up) "You are my son"
I also like the scene where Supes snaps Zods neck and screams - such a powerful scene.
Also the Krypton scenes are awesome.

I really like MOS. Beautifully shot and rendered. Only a few quirky scenes that "could have been better. Some missed opportunities IMO...at least for my sensibilities.

One scene that looked great but "could have worked better was the Superman surrenders scene IMO.

He is first encountered by the army "floating" above them but this is mostly blown off. No awed reactions. This should have really surprised them. They accept it too quickly and believe a guy who can fly can be handcuffed? Which is why when he breaks them the reaction is not as pwerful as it could have been.

The scene later when he flies off to stop the world engine... they "should" have been "shocked" to see him just jump in the air and keep going!...; ) This would have been the awesome realization of what his power truly is.

I think it would have worked better this way...

superman surrenders small.jpg

For me, I love the visuals and concept of the 'you are not alone'. That's human contact with aliens, disclosure... to hear that... it's terrifying. I with they showed more human reaction and how it left the world.

The smallville battle was cool and Zod was so well done.

Superman flying off into he sky - they used it for the teaser - legendary.

I really like MOS. Beautifully shot and rendered. Only a few quirky scenes that "could have been better. Some missed opportunities IMO...at least for my sensibilities.

One scene that looked great but "could have worked better was the Superman surrenders scene IMO.

He is first encountered by the army "floating" above them but this is mostly blown off. No awed reactions. This should have really surprised them. They accept it too quickly and believe a guy who can fly can be handcuffed? Which is why when he breaks them the reaction is not as pwerful as it could have been.

The scene later when he flies off to stop the world engine... they "should" have been "shocked" to see him just jump in the air and keep going!...; ) This would have been the awesome realization of what his power truly is.

I think it would have worked better this way...

View attachment 19803
It's funny, I rewatched it last night and the ideas and story for this, is fantastic, so well done, so well thought out and realistic...

The execution however, was way off.

This movie felt like a documentary, where they cut out all the interview parts and just showed the clips of the events... the pacing was too fast, then slowed down for the flash backs..

The start with clark on the boat, 5 more minutes, fleshing out why he is there, him chatting with the others. Same in the bar - why did that girl like him so much, show us more charming clark. It skipped over so many things and didn't breath. I liked how lois was after him and tracked him down, but she fell in love with him too quick..

But your point, so true... it was human first contact with aliens.. the surrender scene would have been more, we should have seen the worlds reaction, school teachers talking about it, priests, scientists... it totally changes the world... beyond the military zone, fences, should have been media, the public, helicopters all trying to see what's happening.. other nations too..

Trouble is, people say you got tor read between the lines and the bigger picture - sure, but I go to watch a movie, not go to see cryptic hints.

I remember walking out not disappointed, but feeling short changed... I was expecting more 'classic superman' and this movie could have had that... a sequel could still work, in my mind... but who knows at this stage...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"