Superman Returns Man of Steel: The Official Brandon Routh Thread

From Rotten Tomatoes:

Brandon Routh Looking For More Fights In "Superman Returns 2"

Posted by RT-News on Friday, Nov. 03, 2006, 12:49 PM

RT-News writes: "One of the fans' complaints about "Superman Returns" was that Superman didn't actually fight anyone in it. Now that a sequel has been announced, the filmmakers seem to be answering the fans. Star Brandon Routh told Rotten Tomatoes that he's looking forward to coming to blows.

Author: Fred Topel

"Bryan [Singer] said at Comic-Con they were going to add some more fighting elements and stuff like that," said Routh. "That might be kind of interesting to throw some punches or throw something, I don't know, a little more active."

Routh is going to have to hit the gym again to get back into fighting shape, but not just yet. "I think I've got a while. We probably won't start for another at least six months. They've got to get things written so I'm still in the gym. I still work out a little bit but certainly not as much as I had been."

Simply as a fan, Routh is eager to get that first draft. "I'm extremely excited, even though I don't know what the story's going to be, to find out what the story's going to be and excited for them, Bryan, Dan [Harris] and Mike [Dougherty] to go start writing and continue the story. I'm excited to see what happens, where the characters are going to go.""
Source: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=376876

Also looks like filming could start much earlier than anticipated?:huh:

I think in the context of the story, Superman had enough lines, remember, he was feeling lonely and more alienated than ever from humanity. It must have filled him with hope when he heard Krypton might still be there, only to find that it in fact a graveyard, then to come home and find his one human connection had moved on, then I could understand the fact he wasnt shouting iconic lines left, right, and centre.

However, IMO you cant get much more iconic than "You wrote that the world didnt need a saviour, but everyday I hear people crying for one."

While those lines were memorable, I still feel as though BR's Superman didn't get the attention and focus that his character deserved, especially when you consider that he's supposed to be the protagonist of the film

Imho, the film had seemed to place greater focus and attention on Lex and Lois at times.

I think that they could have done better had we seen Clark visiting his mother for some consolation after his official return as superman, and really have some type of character that he could console in to express to the audience on what's exactly going on in his mind at times; like how Bruce had Alfred for BB.

While those lines were memorable, I still feel as though BR's Superman didn't get the attention and focus that his character deserved, especially when you consider that he's supposed to be the protagonist of the film

Imho, the film had seemed to place greater focus and attention on Lex and Lois at times.

I adore the movie but that's true. It was more of an ensemble piece.

I adore the movie but that's true. It was more of an ensemble piece.

Indeed; I mean I really wish that they would have capitalized on BR's acting talents, and show us through dialogue and actions as to why Superman is inspired to do what he does on a constant basis.

You could re establish as to why Superman/Clark is the way he is without doing an origin story; and personally, I wanted them to add something more powerful than simply because his "father" sent him to earth to become it's hero.

Also, I had remembered BR saying as to how he was talking that Clark's desires was to be with Lois and have a family of his own; granted I saw his loneliness, but I would have preferred to see this more delved into as well.

AT times, I wish that BR hadn't been chosen to play the character in this film, and that he would have been saved for a better written Superman story, because BR is MAIN reason as to why I enjoyed SR.

He knows how to convey the emotions of the character well, and he just has that "IT" factor and the sincere look that I would believe is required within the character, while at the same time, he's able to exhibit the powerful/larger than life presence that Superman has.

Most of the other actors that I've seen recommended, they looked tough, but that's about it; I didn't see anything in their appearances that had that sincere look of someone that you know you could trust like the people did with Superman.

Also, it helps that BR has a great personality in real life and that he just understands and gets the material while respecting it. Hell I think he's the only actor to have portrayed Superman with extensive knowledge on the character. CR and TW from what I had read, didn't know much about the character prior to portraying their respective roles.

AT times, I wish that BR hadn't been chosen to play the character in this film, and that he would have been saved for a better written Superman story, because BR is MAIN reason as to why I enjoyed SR.

I think SR is well written, but it just isn't your typical superhero movie. It wasn't the action/adventure movie some were expecting. SR is more like a drama with some action in it, and I loved it. I think it's a beautiful, poignant and intense film, but it isn't for every one. Yeah, at times I also wish it was a bit different (had more action, a supervillain, no Jason), so that it had had a better chance at the BO and Brandon could return in sequels, but that wasn't the case. I still think the film is great; it brought me back to Superman and made me love him even more, so that means a lot to me. No doubt it has a lot to do with Brandon's portrayal.

He knows how to convey the emotions of the character well, and he just has that "IT" factor and the sincere look that I would believe is required within the character, while at the same time, he's able to exhibit the powerful/larger than life presence that Superman has.

I completely agree with all that. To me BR was born for this role. And he's an even better actor now and looks the part more than ever. It's very sad that he probably won't play this character again. :csad:

Most of the other actors that I've seen recommended, they looked tough, but that's about it; I didn't see anything in their appearances that had that sincere look of someone that you know you could trust like the people did with Superman.

Also, it helps that BR has a great personality in real life and that he just understands and gets the material while respecting it. Hell I think he's the only actor to have portrayed Superman with extensive knowledge on the character. CR and TW from what I had read, didn't know much about the character prior to portraying their respective roles.

Yup, totally agree. Brandon is the whole package. Really nice to see that there are many others who feel the same way I do about him. :)

Last edited:
Truth, Justice, and the British Way...

...blech. Cavill.

This casting is yet another sign to me that they are scrambling and really don't know what to do other than, GET A MOVIE OUT!

Why? Because Cavill was out as a frontrunner before Singer and Routh came on the scene. I can picture it now...

"Well, are we going to ask Brandon back?"

"Hmmm...who were we going to maybe use before all that?"

"Henry Cavill."

"He'll do."

Zack Snyder turned down the chance to direct citing that he really didn't know what to do with the character...and then he went on ahead and signed up.

"Woot."

It's hard, but I don't think Hollywood gets Superman.

Truth, Justice, and the British Way...

...blech. Cavill.

This casting is yet another sign to me that they are scrambling and really don't know what to do other than, GET A MOVIE OUT!

Why? Because Cavill was out as a frontrunner before Singer and Routh came on the scene. I can picture it now...

"Well, are we going to ask Brandon back?"

"Hmmm...who were we going to maybe use before all that?"

"Henry Cavill."

"He'll do."

Zack Snyder turned down the chance to direct citing that he really didn't know what to do with the character...and then he went on ahead and signed up.

"Woot."

It's hard, but I don't think Hollywood gets Superman.

I really feel like that all the decisions WB has made with the reboot are exactly because they are scrambling. It just feels like WB has done nothing but settled because they have to get this movie made before they lose the rights.

I'm not saying Routh and Singer should have been brought back or anything like that, but if WB was going to reboot this franchise, I wish they would have gotten better people to make the movie and star as Superman.

I liked Brandon Routh as Superman and wanted him to be cast again, even though there was slim chance of him getting it.

Thanks to Brandon Routh for making us believe in Superman again.

:supes: :up::up:

i'm not excited with the announcement too. he looks boyish n small to me.
i hope they have a good story.

perhaps we could have tv series with brandon as the supes.

I know that it is too early to speculate but if WB plan to keep the new Superman franchise (with Henry Cavill as Supes.) separate from the rest of DC Universe, thus making it necessary to get a different actor as Superman in the Justice League movie (if they plan to make it in the nest 2 - 3 years) then Routh can be considered again for the part as Superman, as he will look more mature and would look better than Cavill as he is taller, which would be required in a an ensemble cast movie with the rest of JLA members.

One can hope.

I saw a couple of Dylan Dog TV spots today....the movie looks better than the youtube clips I saw months ago made it seem.

Dylan Dog does look pretty fun. It feels like Routh hasn't be in a movie since SR. Of course I haven't watched Scott Pilgrim yet. :(

Superman Returns may be last new Superman film I will see.As fan of both Brandon Routh as Superman and Tom Welling on Smallville I have no Intrest In new Live action
contunitys.No Man of steel for me.No Justice League Inless Brandon Routh or Tom Welling
are cast In Justice League.

The only way to make me feelings on all these reboots known Is to not spend any money
on them.

That's your choice of course....but for me.....I've read thousands of comics and novels for over 40 years....I have always imagined certain actors in the part....and it has never happened. It hasn't kept me from seeing any of the movies.

Superman existed long before Routh or Welling and will continue living on long after they're dead and buried.

With that character, it's all about taking care of it while it's under your tenure. Doesn't matter how Cavill turns out (He'll be fine in the role) or how many films he ultimately does, the character and myth will live on after him. We've seen this firsthand with Alyn, Reeve and Reeves before them.

Sorry, but anyone who claims they won't see it because a certain actor is or isn't wearing the red-and-blue suit I can't take seriously nor do I believe said claims of refusal to see the movie.

Superman existed long before Routh or Welling and will continue living on long after they're dead and buried.

With that character, it's all about taking care of it while it's under your tenure. Doesn't matter how Cavill turns out (He'll be fine in the role) or how many films he ultimately does, the character and myth will live on after him. We've seen this firsthand with Alyn, Reeve and Reeves before them.

Sorry, but anyone who claims they won't see it because a certain actor is or isn't wearing the red-and-blue suit I can't take seriously nor do I believe said claims of refusal to see the movie.
I like this :up:

Zack and Miri is overall one of my favorite movies but by far my favorite scene involves Brandon. Obviously Justin Long steals the show but it's still nice to see BR getting work. (NSFW)

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vzm0i70DQg[/YT]

And, when Miri tells BR that she wanted to take him back to her place and bang him to get back at him for calling her stinky linky all those years, Brandon delivers my favorite line of the entire flick:

"Wow. What an... ...odd revenge plan".

Never gets old!

I just came back from watching "Dylan Dog"! Brandon Routh was terrific!!:up:

Had Bryan Singer known his $h**, Routh would have given much more to Superman. Boy, did Singer underused him!:argh:

I just came back from watching "Dylan Dog"! Brandon Routh was terrific!!:up:

Had Bryan Singer known his $h**, Routh would have given much more to Superman. Boy, did Singer underused him!:argh:
wish it would be showed in my country... :(

hopefully brandon can survive in the filming industry...

btw is the movie doing good?

wish it would be showed in my country... :(

hopefully brandon can survive in the filming industry...

btw is the movie doing good?

I had posted a new thread titled, "how would Dylan Dog bombing have affected a Superman Returns sequel" but I guess the moderators did not share my sense of humor and deleted it.:csad:
Anyway, Dylan Dog debuted in sixteenth place making 850 thousand for the weekend....just that is less then a million....even after the millions they spent in the U.S. advertising it every five minutes on TV last week.....
So Dylan Dog was DOA at the U.S. box office.
Is this the final nail in Brandon Routh's movie career?
I hope not. To his credit, Superman Returns and Dylan Dog were both filmed years ago and the Routh has gained more experience as an actor since.
I do think Brandon should try TV for a while...maybe CSI....I would love to see him in Blue Bloods.

He did have a good run on Chuck last year, but he does need a solid (but juicy) role. Something on one of the CSIs or the remaining Law & Order series?

As for his current flick, Dylan Dog's Tomatometer has the attributes of a zombie: :(

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dead-of-night-2009

Somehow, I had a feeling it wouldn't be as successful here, given that the source material is more popular overseas.

Last edited:
:( that's bad news.

brandon should do some romance comedy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back