Superman Returns The Official Brandon Routh IS Superman thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
clarkandlois.jpg

Serene said:
First of all.. wasn't there something that proved to be completely bogus posted recently on LatinoReview? My aged brain can't remember what it was, but it disappeared off their site shortly after it was reported. Am I hallucinating?

Secondly.. Routh does have a look reminiscent of a young Chris Reeve, IMO. If he truly has been cast, then I guess we wait and see if he can pull it off. I would have preferred Welling (big time), but apparently my opinion wasn't heavily considered.

and Thirdly.. Mischa Barton!? ::gag:: (something she does after just about every meal, I'm guessing)

Topher Grace..

AgentPat said:
Hey, I'm okay with that. Fans can still see Welling every week, and IN character no less, so we're not missing out on much. Maybe a suit, more flying, and set in Metropolis, but that's okay LOL. There's enough quotes from Gough, Loeb and Welling himself to support the notion that SV will be around for a while. Hopefully. And I'm still psyched to see the film. Wow! I got my cake and I can eat it too. Hot diggity dog! Yahoo!

Hmm... I wonder how different people changed their minds, saying before they'd wait till the film came out to judge... Now they are being haters :confused:

Ah well.

Good bump. Haven't seen this one in a while!

BTW, that's a CLASSIC pic of Brandon with Teri.

Pickle-El said:
Good bump. Haven't seen this one in a while!

BTW, that's a CLASSIC pic of Brandon with Teri.

Thanks.
I actually skimmed through quite a few pages of this thread. I found a couple quotes that almost made my eyes pop out, I could never imagine those same people making those comments :o

Why did you do this, JcDC? It's really 'trollish' of your part... why start any fights? :o

Sverdlovski said:
Why did you do this, JcDC? It's really 'trollish' of your part... why start any fights? :o

It has nothing to do with starting a fight :confused: I was actually searching for my old "dont doubt the routh" manip, came across this ole' thread and skimmed through. Found those quotes kind of odd.

\S/JcDc\S/ said:
It has nothing to do with starting a fight :confused: I was actually searching for my old "dont doubt the routh" manip, came across this ole' thread and skimmed through. Found those quotes kind off odd.
But you must have known that they would get some kind of reaction, and mostly likely not a positive one. It is a bit incendiary and poor form in your part, IMHO.

skruloos said:
But you must have known that they would get some kind of reaction, and mostly likely not a positive one. It is a bit incendiary and poor form in your part, IMHO.

I see. :up:

Sverdlovski said:
Why did you do this, JcDC? It's really 'trollish' of your part... why start any fights?
Well, it only took four months for me to see that other post, and only 'cause this thread was bumped back from oblivion. Typical of Jc.

But y'know what? Back then I *was* psyched to see the film, 'cause at that point, there really wasn't much to go on. But with each piece of new information that was made public, beginning with a muddy costume and culminating with a deadly piano toss, I was done. Done!

I finally saw the film, and it was worse than I had imagined, which I didn't think was possible. I probably could have ignored the horrendous acting, the lack of originality, the gloomy atmosphere, the character assassination, and even the introduction of SuperSpawn - if only the film had a smidgen of joy. Superman Returns *should* have been like an insane roller coaster ride - entertaining on the ups *and* the downs. This one was like riding in a hearse, which is a total bummer. :(

I hated the way that Routh looked in the photos. I hated the suit and I thought this was going to be horrible. Routh is a great Clark Kent and he is the greatest Superman to date. Routh is everything that I wanted in Superman. I can't wait for the sequel.

Steelsheen said:
Pat, you got a review posted somewhere?
Not yet. Steel, I honestly don't know where to begin. I start typing and go off into la la land, delete what I've writing and start over. Rinse and repeat. I'm starting to wonder if I can actually DO a review of this film. There's no joy in pissing and moaning; I'd rather spend time on writing about things I DO like, and unfortunately, there wasn't a hell whole of a lot in SR.

Routh's "acting" aside, I liked the Smallville scenes (big surprise there).
I liked the kid who played young Clark. Yet again, another big surprise. :rolleyes: LOL
Best line in the film: "Wasn't there two of those?"
I really liked Richard, and was rooting for him through most of the pic. (Ironically, he was the most sympathetic character of 'em all, which is completely bass ackwards.)
I liked the effects of imploding Krypton and the plane wing rip.
I liked the taxi whistle scene, and Lois and Richard giggling at the thought of Clark being Superman.
And I thought Jason was a cute kid.

....I'm running out of nice things to say. I probably should go back to my corner of the boards now, 'cause it's not safe me being here. It's too easy for me to say something that will piss off a mod and get me detention in SHH's PZ.

brandon3.jpg

cosmo-799667.jpg
Brandon is featured in the February 2007 issue of Cosmopolitan Magazine (on stands now) as one of fourteen Fun Fearless Males of 2007.

What do you do in your free time?
"I was an English major and wanted to be a fiction writer. Now I write bits and pieces of ideas that run through my head. At some point, I may write a screenplay."

I wonder if this means he could someday work on the writing process of a Superman film. Here were some of his ideas for the sequel:

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=658&Itemid=99

Heres his acceptance speech for Best Superhero for those who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpdyPtShVaQ

i wonder if superman is the end of his acting career.
Which acting career? He didn't have one like Reeve didn't when he was cast as Superman. The thing about Reeve was that he had a good background (Juilliard) and was able to use his fame to work with great actors (Caine, Freeman) and get some respect as an actor himself. Brandon will have to work hard to improve his acting skill and should try to do some roles far from his "good guy" attitude.

brandon should now play a really creepy bad guy in a movie with a story. the worst thing he could do IMO is to be in a comedy or in a horror movie.

brandon should now play a really creepy bad guy in a movie with a story. the worst thing he could do IMO is to be in a comedy or in a horror movie.
It may not be that easy. Back during the casting wars (ah, the good ole days, LOL), there was discussion about some of the more nit-picky caveats often included in n00b casting contracts. Routh may have signed a deal with Warners stipulating they have final say in what roles he accepts *outside* of the Superman franchise. For example, Warners might not want their new Superman to play a serial killer while he's still doing Supes' films.

These type of contracts make sense for n00bs to sign; if it's a matter of waiting tables vs. being owned by the studio for ten years but making decent cash acting in a few blockbuster films, the wise choice is the latter. Established actors, on the other hand, might not be interested in such a deal simply because they don't "need" the part, and they prefer to keep their options open.

since when is earning millions just "decent cash"????

It may not be that easy. Back during the casting wars (ah, the good ole days, LOL), there was discussion about some of the more nit-picky caveats often included in n00b casting contracts. Routh may have signed a deal with Warners stipulating they have final say in what roles he accepts *outside* of the Superman franchise. For example, Warners might not want their new Superman to play a serial killer while he's still doing Supes' films.

These type of contracts make sense for n00bs to sign; if it's a matter of waiting tables vs. being owned by the studio for ten years but making decent cash acting in a few blockbuster films, the wise choice is the latter. Established actors, on the other hand, might not be interested in such a deal simply because they don't "need" the part, and they prefer to keep their options open.
interesting. well i hope he will not only play light characters. i want him in a dark movie.

but i could understand WB since little kids take everything serious. if they see brandon in a movie killing some people they will think superman did this.

He said in an interview some months ago that he is aware of the responsibility he has representing Superman today and won't pick roles that damage the image of Superman. I guess he wont be playing drug dealers, rapists or homocidal maniacs.

I think his best bet for his next role is an action film. After all the wirework and greenscreening he did, it should be cake.

Well maybe, but Routh said something liked he turned the roles down because he prefers playing characters who grow. From his interview I took it he had a free choice or not to take the roles.

Routh can't afford to be turning things down. His inexperience as an actor showed in SR - he had a problem with timing on OLTL and it was still there in SR - check out the Clark/Jimmy bar scene for instance. Maybe that was why he was given such little dialog?

Bosworth and Penn are doing projects and all Routh has done is a short with his girlfriend and voice-overs. I find that disappointing. He owes it to himself, if not Superman fans, to be working to improve his craft. Stage, film, TV - he needs to be acting in whatever venue he can find.

If Singer gets a greenlight to do a sequel Routh will be committed timewise from next fall on. Gives him not a lot of time to be doing other projects. It would be a huge disappointment if the sequel goes forward and Routh has done basically nothing since filming SR. His inexperience would be pretty much the same in a sequel as it was in SR.

He is a nice guy but I wonder if he wants it enough. Its not unlikely that this time-period will be the most opportune xt opportunity he ever gets to grow his craft. While he is still somewhat known.

Found this observation about Routh interesting and sort of sad:

Jam! Showbiz (Canada) - "Or that Brandon Routh, touted just 12 months ago for super-stardom as soon as he was announced as the new Man of Steel in Superman Returns, would remain more anonymous than not in the first days of 2007 after the would-be blockbuster sputtered more than soared?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"