Man Of Steel vs Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeKay

Avenger
Reaction score
Since we seem to be having all these vs threads. Let's take a look at these decisive films among the fan community and discuss strengths, weaknesses, script and wll everything. Let's keep it civil and no personal attacks. A good debate once in a while is healthy.

I reckon this will be the poll where Age of Ultron gets the win.

I loved them both, truly. I went with MOS because Superman is one of my top two favorite heroes though, and while the movie had some flaws, I felt like they got the important stuff right. It made me laugh, cry, and applaud.

Ultron was a lot of fun too. It was a lighter film overall in terms of tone, but I think I actually preferred it to its predecessor because I found the overall villain plot more interesting and some of the characters like Hawkeye were utilized better.

This thread would be more interesting if it were in the misc comic films forum, IMO....most people on this board would definitely vote for AOU

This is tough. On one hand, I feel MOS was the better made movie, on the other hand, I enjoyed AOU more. Like I said, very tough decision.

I thought MoS was a big disappointment.

Age of Ultron definitely. I can't sit through Man Of Steel.

Age of Ultron, and not by a small margin. Avengers 2 was a celebration of what is important in super heroism. Man of Steel was a horror show that missed the point of Superman at every opportunity.

Man of Steel easily, I've already said my negative thoughts on AOU which I think is up there with Marvel's worst efforts Iron Man 2, 3 and Thor the Dark World all of which were bad films.

Man of Steel is my favourite CBM of all time.

I love Superman. I actually loved Man of Steel when I first saw it in theaters. Then I bought the Blu Ray and watched it at home and had an entirely different experience. Now everytime I watch it, it upsets me. I'm giving it a long break before I try again.

AOU was pure awesomeness and I don't agree with the complaints. AOU for me easily.

Man of Steel. It felt like a science fiction story where the main character was Superman with great fight scenes, quotes, and interesting themes even if weren't explored that deeply. AOU felt like the first movie but with a different villain. Not a bad movie by any means but wasn't anything new.

Man of Steel. It's one of my Top 5 favorite comic book movies, I don't understand the hate it gets. Avengers 2 was good but it's not nearly as good as the first Avengers. It might not even be in my Top 5 MCU movies. I just didn't like the direction Whedon took some of the characters and the whole movie felt like a filler episode of a TV show, just something to fill the space until the next movie.

Age of Ultron. They both have some pretty gaping flaws, but at the end of the day, AoU still got The Avengers right. The actors and the lead characters are great and the team dynamic is spot on.

I don't feel like this is the case for Man of Steel. Henry Cavill was boring and wooden as Clark Kent, and the Superman character was maybe the dullest character in the entire film. It is a real drag on it.

And that's basically the big difference. I thought Iron Man was great. I thought Cap was great. I thought Scarlet Witch was great. I thought Vision was great. Etc. And Superman himself just wasn't up to par.

I have a lot of issues with both, but Man of Steel was the better film for me.

And believe me that's not because i'm a Superman fan. Cause the Superman fan in me is still crying inside :funny:

Last edited:
Man of Steel had more heart. AOU was a big loud mess.

Didn't vote, love'em both!

I'm just waiting for the AOU vs Spy poll!

MoS left me cold. I've never seen a more boring, flat, uninspiring protagonist.
AoU has it's problems, but it definitely has heart and it balances the characters out effectively. It's the clear winner here.

While AoU was really enjoyable from moment to moment, the overall story just didnt do it for me. It's all set up well, but the second act onwards kinda squanders it. The characters arent taken to interesting places and the movie sorta ends up feeling a bit...pointless.

With Mos, even if the road was a little rocky, the journey was still compelling and the destination was satisfying. Imo, of course.

Last edited:
Both are messy but Man of Steel takes this easily.

Wow! Can't believe this is even close. Sometimes I feel like I am watching completely different movies from practically everybody else.

MOS IMO completely missed the boat and the point. Batman comics were my gateway drug into Superman and I liked him because he was the exact opposite of Bruce. Because of this, I loved the reluctant friendship between them. I really can't understand the direction they went with Clark in MOS. don't get me started on the absolute destruction of the character of Pa Kent. When people talk about getting characters wrong in CBMs, Pa Kent never comes up but should.

AOU was an absolute blast of a ride which stayed true to most of the characters. I am having fun with these Avengers films (Even though I was never really into Avengers comics that much. I read certain story lines but never followed them like I did Batman, the X Men, and even Superman) and fun is why I go see CBMs.

Wow I can't even believe this poll is this close. The Avengers rendered true to life in living color vs. the character assassination of Superman. I would think the winner would be obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"