Marijuana may stave off Alzheimer's

sinewave

Avenger
Reaction score
CNN.com said:
WASHINGTON, (Reuters) -- Good news for aging hippies: Smoking pot may stave off Alzheimer's disease.

New research shows that the active ingredient in marijuana may prevent the progression of the disease by preserving levels of an important neurotransmitter that allows the brain to function.

Researchers at the Scripps Research Institute in California found that marijuana's active ingredient, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, can prevent the neurotransmitter acetylcholine from breaking down more effectively than commercially marketed drugs.

THC is also more effective at blocking clumps of protein that can inhibit memory and cognition in Alzheimer's patients, the researchers reported in the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics.

The researchers said their discovery could lead to more effective drug treatment for Alzheimer's, the leading cause of dementia among the elderly.

Those afflicted with Alzheimer's suffer from memory loss, impaired decision-making, and diminished language and movement skills. The ultimate cause of the disease is unknown, though it is believed to be hereditary.

Marijuana is used to relieve glaucoma and can help reduce side effects from cancer and AIDS treatment.

Possessing marijuana for recreational use is illegal in many parts of the world, including the United States, though some states allow possession for medical purposes.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/10/05/pot.alzheimers.reut/index.html

Good news for me! My grandfather had alzheimers and I was wondering if my usage would increase my odds of getting it too. I hope this is proven true!

youve gotta be ****ing kidding me

So basically you're cancelling out the effects of forgetfulness and incognition with the drug that causes the same thing. Makes perfect sense to me. :p

terry78 said:
So basically you're cancelling out the effects of forgetfulness and incognition with the drug that causes the same thing. Makes perfect sense to me. :p

yeah that's what i thought, too. this part cracked me up: "Those afflicted with Alzheimer's suffer from memory loss, impaired decision-making, and diminished language and movement skills." those are the same side effects that pot causes.

I have a concept: whenever you feel prone to violence or have issues with your equilibrium, drink a bottle of wild turkey. Now pay me 500 bucks for that prognosis.

I'd just like to know how this research was discovered/acquired?

Alpha and Omega said:
I'd just like to know how this research was discovered/acquired?

i think it involved sitting around a hooka. oh and lots of dorritos were consumed.

sinewave said:
i think it involved sitting around a hooka. oh and lots of dorritos were consumed.
Hey, don't knock the hookah. Those are only full of mind altering things when people purposely add it. I go to a place that offers it and use it on occasion.:o I've done the oxygen bar thing too which is kinda artsy fartsy I admit.

terry78 said:

That's sort of a myth. Marijuana doesn't typically cause memory loss except during the period in which someone is intoxicated. Occasionally, if it's abused (used regularly, like every day or every other day), it can lead to long-term damage, but it will usually correct itself if the person stops using it for a certain period of time.

Here's a good article on the side-effects of marijuana use. There IS a difference between casual use and abuse.

http://www.nida.nih.gov/ResearchReports/Marijuana/Marijuana3.html#hippo

Heh! lazur's a stoner. :p

jag

*sigh* yet another reason to legalize it. :cmad: Atleast I don't have to worry about Alzheimers anymore. heh.

interesting fact:

I've noticed that the use of pot does affect one's memory and it's a little but difficult to focus on one thing or have a single topic in a conversation, but it's mostly due to the overwhelming amount of brain activity that is happening

oh yeah, last night, I had a horrible toothache, so I just a little hit, went to bed and put the radio on

I totally forgot about the pain after a while

and I was asleep shortly after

Batattack said:
*sigh* yet another reason to legalize it. :cmad: Atleast I don't have to worry about Alzheimers anymore. heh.

Personally, I would have no problem with that, even though I don't smoke pot myself. I feel it's a far more benign drug than alcohol. But, I have my doubts that it will ever happen because the government can't really feasibly tax and regulate it. It's something people can grow in their back yards or even in planter boxes without difficulty, so it would be impossible for the government to control or make money off of. If they can't control it and make money off of it, it will never happen. Power and greed holding us all back once again.

jag

jaguarr said:
Personally, I would have no problem with that, even though I don't smoke pot myself. I feel it's a far more benign drug than alcohol. But, I have my doubts that it will ever happen because the government can't really feasibly tax and regulate it. It's something people can grow in their back yards or even in planter boxes without difficulty, so it would be impossible for the government to control or make money off of. If they can't control it and make money off of it, it will never happen. Power and greed holding us all back once again.

jag

isnt moonshine easily made in the back of barns????

i get what you're saying but i also see the "greedy" corporate side...there's LOTS of money to be made in marijuana...and if its legal and we can get it out of vending machines..whos gonna take the time to grow it themselves...america is LAZY:woot:

DarthRekal said:
isnt moonshine easily made in the back of barns????

i get what you're saying but i also see the "greedy" corporate side...there's LOTS of money to be made in marijuana...and if its legal and we can get it out of vending machines..whos gonna take the time to grow it themselves...america is LAZY:woot:

Moonshine is still considered illegal in MANY states, I believe, and it's hardly easy to make.

jag

jaguarr said:
Moonshine is still considered illegal in MANY states, I believe, and it's hardly easy to make.

jag

my mistake..still my point is.... NOONE farms anymore..noone grows tobacco ... its just oo tedious... and if we make it ILLEGAL to cultivate... people wont want to buy ILLEGAL weed..when they can go to the corner store and save themselves a ticket or trip to jail...

DarthRekal said:
my mistake..still my point is.... NOONE farms anymore..noone grows tobacco ... its just oo tedious... and if we make it ILLEGAL to cultivate... people wont want to buy ILLEGAL weed..when they can go to the corner store and save themselves a ticket or trip to jail...

So, explain to me exactly how this approach will be enforced? :)

jag

jaguarr said:
So, explain to me exactly how this approach will be enforced? :)

jag

im a democrat i dont have plans i just say repubs are doing it wrong!:oldrazz:

i only come up with the ideas my cabinet cames up witht he infrastructure....

how do they enforce the moonshine law????:huh:

Marijuana will stave off a bullet wound to the forehead.

terry78 said:
I have a concept: whenever you feel prone to violence or have issues with your equilibrium, drink a bottle of wild turkey. Now pay me 500 bucks for that prognosis.
Do you know that Wild Turkey is probably more harmful than Ganja?

well, if legalized, you'd have tobacco companies jumping on the bandwagon and selling Marlboro Greens, Acapulco Golden Camels, Winston Afghani, Moore Baker's Delight, etc

besides, there would be companies selling homegrowing products, which would make a bundle

and besides, anyone with a stove and the right ingridients can make a hamburger at home, still a lot of people go to Burger King

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"