Mark Wahlberg is the Six Billion Dollar Man

ahhhhh the same tone as marvel. Im not a marvel hater but surely we want something new and fresh. There was a time before "marvel" and there will be a time after it.

I say "Marvel" because that's about as close to the tone that the show had. The show was balanced between light and darkness. It was a show that had the main character contemplate suicide over what he has become and also where he fought Bigfoot.

Wow so that's what people have been saying all this time, man I had no idea.

I get what you are saying and for sure a Bond type SMDM could be cool but its just the same **** over and over. Its pretty much any movie these days because everyone in movies is the SBDM even with out having "powers". Everyone fights like they are in the Matrix...its all a bit redundant when the latest Die Hard could be a SBDM movie. I think thats why turning these kind of ideas into comedies works best because the whole idea is pretty much a joke now. Batman..Robocop..Iron Man..its the same ****..expensive white guy can do whatever he wants.
Yeah, that worked out great for The Green Hornet.

:loco:

The Green Hornet is film is just freaking weird in the first place..Michel Gondry directing Seth Rogen as the Green Hornet in what was to be a possible franchise. It was just a strange combination that I dont think is worth comparing to.

The Green Hornet is film is just freaking weird in the first place..Michel Gondry directing Seth Rogen as the Green Hornet in what was to be a possible franchise. It was just a strange combination that I dont think is worth comparing to.

It's a comedy about an expensive white guy who can do whatever he wants. The oversimplification should work both ways.

Sure but my main point is what can a SMDM movie deliver that we haven't already seen a thousand times before...be it comedy or not, rich white guys that can flip and kick and boost their quick talking butts around and get the girl in the end is just getting a bit old..its been old for a while now. I don't expect anyone to agree with me here especially on a SuperHero forum but i dunno..its all just a bit vanilla

Sure but my main point is what can a SMDM movie deliver that we haven't already seen a thousand times before...be it comedy or not, rich white guys that can flip and kick and boost their quick talking butts around and get the girl in the end is just getting a bit old..its been old for a while now. I don't expect anyone to agree with me here especially on a SuperHero forum but i dunno..its all just a bit vanilla
Of course it's old, the show is from 40 years ago! But if you're gonna adapt the show, do it, don't try to make your own thing and capitalize on a known brand. Or come up with an original character and go nuts.

Sure the show is old but im talking about the basic concept of dudes running around kicking ass..it just seems to be the same **** every week be it John Mclane, Iron Man or Neo...there is no difference..they alll do the same ****.

I dont come to these forums to be spoon fed what Hollywooden wants us to eat, I come here because I want to read what the real fans that have no money invested and nothing to lose want to see. Please dont get me wrong, im not trying to argue with you.

Sure the show is old but im talking about the basic concept of dudes running around kicking ass..it just seems to be the same **** every week be it John Mclane, Iron Man or Neo...there is no difference..they alll do the same ****.

I dont come to these forums to be spoon fed what Hollywooden wants us to eat, I come here because I want to read what the real fans that have no money invested and nothing to lose want to see. Please dont get me wrong, im not trying to argue with you.
I'm not arguing. I thought we were... talking?

But honestly, if you don't see any difference between John McClane, Iron Man or Neo, I don't think we can have much of a productive converstaion. They are completely different characters in movies that couldn't be any more different in tone or style. Sure, okay, they're all action films to a degree, but that's about it.

I'm not arguing. I thought we were... talking?

But honestly, if you don't see any difference between John McClane, Iron Man or Neo, I don't think we can have much of a productive converstaion. They are completely different characters in movies that couldn't be any more different in tone or style. Sure, okay, they're all action films to a degree, but that's about it.

Oh yes of course..I was just worried you may think I was arguing..you never know how people read messages. :)

Oh look I dont think its me that has an issue differentiating Mclane from Neo..I think the makers of the films do though. It just seems that everyone in action films can go through the same amount of **** that any other Super hero can go through and come out without a scratch.

Oh yes of course..I was just worried you may think I was arguing..you never know how people read messages. :)

Oh look I dont think its me that has an issue differentiating Mclane from Neo..I think the makers of the films do though. It just seems that everyone in action films can go through the same amount of **** that any other Super hero can go through and come out without a scratch.
Neo shouldn't come out with a scratch 'cause he's... well, Neo. But I get what you mean with McClane. To be fair, though, it's only in Die Hard 4 that he goes through that kind of crazy sh** (there's NO Die Hard 5).

Well yeh I think you get my point but what im saying is it seems EVERY action hero these days has no real threat and comes out unscathed. It just seems that ever since the Matrix came out everyone wanted their character to fight the same and have the same action and stunts even though it didnt make sense for the character.

What you are talking about is the staple of the action film...the white guy kicking ass goes farther back than McLane and Neo all they way back to the Western and John Wayne...even further to Greek Myths and the original stories

What you are talking about is the staple of the action film...the white guy kicking ass goes farther back than McLane and Neo all they way back to the Western and John Wayne...even further to Greek Myths and the original stories

Sure.. and I understand that but it doesn't mean I cant use the modern day versions as the examples. Its what I know best.

First off, Steve Austin would never fight like the Matrix. He was more of a brawler/ scrapper, not a martial artist.

And as for giving Bond as an example, that was of the tone, not of the template for the film. In other words, not gritty and very serious like the Bourne films, but not a spoof either. Something that has lots of action but also humour.

And Steve Austin wasn't a rich white guy with tech like Iron Man. He was an astronaut who had a terrible accident when his shuttle crashed. He was an unwilling participant in an experiment to make someone superhuman and didn't want the bionics. But once he made peace with it, he then worked as a government agent for the OSI. But he tried to live a normal life as well.

His missions might've had many over-the-top elements because you wouldn't be sending an ordinary field agent into those situations, but he was very different from Bond or McClane or Iron Man. The only real Bond-like story was the very early "Wine, Women and War" TV movie which actually aired before the TV series started. But in that one it was quite different to the series and they deliberately tried to make it more like Bond. He also was shown running at speed instead of in slow motion. But that all changed when the series proper aired.

The 6MDM has a rich history, as does the Bionic Woman. There's a lot they can mine from those episodes to make into a good movie instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Wow I heard about Damian Szifron directing Six Billion Dollar Man a while back glad to see its actually happening, I think he is a excellent director I highly recommend Wild Tales.

I really hope they have the iconic red tracksuit for a running sequence where Austin tests out his super speed. Actually, the first episode of the Flash TV series kind of reminded me of that. Even where he was running was reminiscent of the kind of locations seen in 6MDM:

[YT]2VYX6kyv-2g[/YT]

Also, I hope the movie poster is an updated version of this iconic image:

sixmillion-splsh.jpg

I cant wait for this..I hope it follows the original closely, sound effects ( tho updated ) and all.

I hope the film actually shows him running fast at times, but then slows to bullet time so that it's occasionally in slow motion. I don't want him running slowly the whole time, but then I don't want him to look like a blur either. I think he shouldn't run as fast as the Flash so that we can actually see him running, but it should still look fast.

I really hope they have the iconic red tracksuit for a running sequence where Austin tests out his super speed. Actually, the first episode of the Flash TV series kind of reminded me of that. Even where he was running was reminiscent of the kind of locations seen in 6MDM:

[YT]2VYX6kyv-2g[/YT]

Also, I hope the movie poster is an updated version of this iconic image:

sixmillion-splsh.jpg

now that you mention it so do i

There's no real reason to make it a spoof seeing as how well all these comic book movies have done recently. They can still give it some humour like Iron Man. In fact, I could see it being similar in tone to the first Iron Man movie. They could have a big hit on their hands.
Agree. A bit Iron-Man , a bit James Bond / Mission impossible.

I hear it IS a comedy
That's to bad, that's not what I wanted to see. Not that it isn't rife for a spoof, heck it was spoofed heavily throughout it's run. Nothing new, it will probably do ok as a comedy.
Just not interested.

Yeah, that worked out great for The Green Hornet.

:loco:
Another nostalgia driven action-hero franchise that fell apart with comedy (despite the giant budget and big name attached) was Lone Ranger.

Last edited:
I wish we had something a bit more than just a release date and news that the script is ready. There are plenty of films with more than that which end up in development hell. This thread was started back in 2014 and filming was supposed to happen this year wasn't it? Now it won't start until at least sometime next year, possibly towards the end of the year if it has a release date of Dec 2017.

And even with Walberg attached to star, well Wesley Snipes was attached to Black Panther for a long while but that never happened. I really hope this isn't just empty talk because this film has been proposed for a long time even before 2014. Wasn't Jim Carrey once attached?

I hope they keep the laughs to a minimum. The very nature of the idea of man being remade after a terrible accident doesn't really scream "laugh a minute" if you want to take the concept even halfway serious. There can be jokes but honestly don't do what they have in the MCU apart from the Cap films and Panther really.

It'll be a PG13 scifi action fest for summer so it'll have some guffaws I assume.

Eh...Wahlberg makes me lose interest. Probably a "wait for the Download Fairy" situation.

4 years later and I feel the same. #EffWahlberg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"