Marvel R-Rated Division

jolldan

Sidekick
Reaction score
Let's say in a perfect world Bob Iger and Kevin Feige approach you and tell you they have a plan to launch a new MCU adjacent to the current one specifically for R-Rated Marvel movies. You won't be able to have your product cross over with the original MCU because tonally it would just be too different.

However they do tell you they will give you three characters to attempt to start building a franchise around with the potential for a trilogy for each character like the MCU did with the likes of Iron Man, Captain America and Thor.

This would be the 3 I would have to go for.

Ghost Rider

Despite the fact that he's already had two failed movies my personal number one choice for a R-Rated Marvel film would have to be Ghost Rider. The spirit of vengeance has such a great power set that he can fit in anywhere. Whether you wish to keep it a small story about the rider taking down thugs/gangs while trying to keep the spirit in check. Or if you want to make it a beautifully weird look at the supernatural having the rider go to hell to fight with someone like Mephisto.
Story: Personally I would want to take on the supernatural, Marvel have had a bit of it with Dr Strange already but a flaming skelton riding a motorcycle through hell fighting demons would take it to the next level in my opinion would also give Marvel introduce the MCU equivalent of hell.

Moon Knight

Mark Spector would be my second choice although I don't know anywhere near as much about the character the prospect of a gritty street level Marvel hero similar in tone to Batman is very appealing to me. The main reason I would like to see them do a Moon Knight movie is his DID (dissociative identity disorder).
Story: If Marvel get a good enough actor to play him then his different interpretations of all three of Spector's personalities could make it interesting enough for me on its own. He does seem that type of character where I think an origin story would be best to introduce him to a wider audience. Not to mention it would also be cool to see Marvel take the step to introduce a hero with mental illness.

Howard The Duck

Yeah my third choice is definitely an odd one but out of all of them Howard might have the most chance of getting a movie as he is already established in the MCU appearing in both GOTG movies. A R-Rated outing might sound a little extreme for Howard but the duck himself but if you remember his movie it was pretty risqué and he wasn't exactly a picture of innocence in the MCU drinking in both appearances and in the second hanging out on planet of robot hookers.
Story: In a world with giant green rage monsters, flying mythical gods and evil robots to name a few I think a fish out of water story about Howard landing on Earth and setting up his Private Investigation business and following his first case would be all you would need with a good comedy writer on board.

Well those are my three, what three characters would you choose and what type of story for would you pick for each?

The biggest problem I have is that the characters I would want are also largely the ones that had Netflix shows and I enjoyed them so much that I would much rather see them continue on something like Hulu then get rebooted into the MCU proper. So I don't really know.

Definitely X-Force though. I definitely want to see a proper X-Force.

The biggest problem I have is that the characters I would want are also largely the ones that had Netflix shows and I enjoyed them so much that I would much rather see them continue on something like Hulu then get rebooted into the MCU proper. So I don't really know.

Definitely X-Force though. I definitely want to see a proper X-Force.

Yeah this is why I excluded the likes of Punisher, Elektra and Daredevil from my list as well would probably seem like a bit quick of a turn around.

Just because its r rated, it doesn't mean it needs to be separated from the other MCU films. So, no to this division idea, its just gonna divide the movies.

5606768-bwidow2016012cov.jpg

"You still think you're the only monster on the team"
No Nudity, ofc. Thought process is based on these recent Indonesian/South Korean action films
tumblr_ph4ql7khxd1qc3ju8o4_500.gif

1404509011366399152.png

What I think of when I think a team of misfits
STL074714

Never heard or read these guys. Sound cool.​

If they did make Black Widow R rated it would spike my interest. I think Spider-woman would also be a good shout for that, but I think she's off the board due to rights issues.

Though my main wants for a R rating would be Blade and Ghostrider. Both would be awesome to see cutting up undead and demons with a bit of gory violence.

I would rather see Moon Knight get a solo MCU film first since Ghost Rider and Blade got their movies before.

With the Fox stuff coming soon, it’s not surprising that Marvel will start making R rated movies. This will effect all of Disney. After the merger is complete, Disney will basically become a different company with R rated content and library. The MCU need some spice, because the formula is starting to drag.

You know, I honestly don't get this 'idea' that an R rated movies equal better quality. I have seen plenty of R rated films that turned out to be crap and seen plenty of PG-13 that turned out to be great.

Ever since the release of deadpool, people seem to think Superhero moves to be R rated simply to be "edgy". Venom is a prime of example of fans thinking if the movie was rated R it would haven't been such a letdown to which I say if the movie had a better script it would have actually been better than what got.

Nolan's batman series is a perfect example of a movie that can be dark and gritty without the need for a R rating. Which proves that it's all in the writing that makes a movie win/fail, and not the rating.

You know, I honestly don't get this 'idea' that an R rated movies equal better quality. I have seen plenty of R rated films that turned out to be crap and seen plenty of PG-13 that turned out to be great.

Ever since the release of deadpool, people seem to think Superhero moves to be R rated simply to be "edgy". Venom is a prime of example of fans thinking if the movie was rated R it would haven't been such a letdown to which I say if the movie had a better script it would have actually been better than what got.

Nolan's batman series is a perfect example of a movie that can be dark and gritty without the need for a R rating. Which proves that it's all in the writing that makes a movie win/fail, and not the rating.

Im not saying they would be better quality and im not saying I want to see every movie go R-Rated.

Some Marvel characters I feel would benefit from an R-Rating simply because it suits some characters like Deadpool or we got with Logan.

Others like Blade, Ghost and Punisher I think would suit the same treatment. Im not saying it wouldn't be as good without an R-Rating but just don't think you really get the whole experience if they don't. For these three alone there would be plenty of reason to use it.
  • Ghost Rider penance staring some lowlife and seeing them melt away
  • Punisher (doing pretty much anything lol)
  • Blade cutting up vampires and the vampires feeding on humans themselves
Its not something I would like to see them do for every movie though.

But look at these panels and tell me they don't deserve the R-rating lol

latest

Batman had no reason to be R-Rated though? Only reason they could have done it is if they wanted to make his combat extremely violent.

Just because its r rated, it doesn't mean it needs to be separated from the other MCU films. So, no to this division idea, its just gonna divide the movies.

Feige said he would never do an R-rated MCU movie.

I can picture them making R-rated films set in the MCU, but they would never market it as such. So if there's going to be an R-rated Deadpool/Blade/Ghost Rider/etc film they may crossover with each other but not any other MCU film. Much like the netflix series because the tone and direction is so different. Plus they don't really want to have more family friendly films promote hard R films. Marvel as a brand in cinema has given families a certain expectation, they know what to expect in terms of tone, violence, situations. It would be fairly bad business practice to throw a curve ball without due diligence.

So while not impossible it still is pretty unlikely.

This is good. Keep him R rated and a separate entity from the Mcu under the Fox banner with the old Marvel flipping page intro to help keep that distinction. He works best in his own little world as it is. Throw him a few more minor X-Men if stories requires it so. Reboot the main X-Men into the Mcu a few years down the line.

*cough* If the Penance Stare is causing someone to melt, then somebody is doing something very wrong. Its whole point is to be a *Penance* Stare, not a Burning Melty Death Stare.

Can’t wait to see a R rated Guardians of the Galaxy

Age 14-30 seems like the age range that has been targeted by a lot of R-rated movies.

Most of the successful box office for R-rated fair seems to be meta commentary/adult swimlike or maybe something like Wanted or Kickass for the most part. Therefore, I see franchises like Deadpool or Howard the Duck predominantly being the focus here. Although, I'll again say I think an anthology horror series with a very light comedic touch (think Creepshow or Tales from the Crypt) with serious stories contained within could work with the Marvel brand as well at some point.

This is a cool idea and I suspect they might do something similar for Deadpool. The part about them.not crossing over to the MCU on the otherhand I dont agree with. I wouldn't mind if they had to go PG13 for the crossover movies and then went back to being r-rated in the standalone movie. I think it could work.

This is a cool idea and I suspect they might do something similar for Deadpool. The part about them.not crossing over to the MCU on the otherhand I dont agree with. I wouldn't mind if they had to go PG13 for the crossover movies and then went back to being r-rated in the standalone movie. I think it could work.

Im just of the opinion that if they did it they would keep them separate for both franchise integrity sake.

They wouldn't risk the Avengers audience being cut down because they have r rated characters in the movie dropping f bombs left right and centre.

And on the flip side I think if they did give us a r rated universe with the likes of Deadpool, Ghost Rider, Blade and Moon Knight then tried reigning them all in for one movies so they can fit the regular Disney mold would just irk those who like the darker characters, having to watch this diet-coke version.

deadpool would be great for waititi's next film.

I think the best approach if they ever want Deadpool to show up in a main MCU film is to use him like Remender used him in Uncanny X-Force

He was goofy and irreverent at moments, but then dead serious and even touching at other moments, he never broke the fourth wall but he did narrate for himself at times and they just approached it as "he's crazy and talks to himself". They never broke the immersion of the story, and yet he felt completely like himself. If for some reason they decide to use him in an Avengers or a Wolverine movie, that's what they should look to for inspiration.

Or, they can put him and Spidey together and use the Spider-man/Deadpool approach of just pure zaniness.

I hope they bring back the Marvel Knights logo for their darker movies. If anything I feel Marvel Knights should be its own brand that exists within the MCU but has its own style. It could allow crossovers while still being its own thing.

I hope they bring back the Marvel Knights logo for their darker movies. If anything I feel Marvel Knights should be its own brand that exists within the MCU but has its own style. It could allow crossovers while still being its own thing.

Yeah, that would avoid going full-on Marvel Max while at the same time maybe allowing for R-rated fare that's more tone based than anything.

That Marvel Max thread from a while back I could've brought back but that was pre-Fox purchase and I think the speculation here probably is more in tune with what's going to possibly be possible a bit moreso.

Last edited:
With phase 4 being announced the slate is full, this still makes me wonder though how Marvel Studio's would ever label certain films if in fact they were going to make 1 or 2 at some point. I don't think they'd be a part of the announced "phase" therefore probably under a different label or dept. overseen by Marvel Studios? I can't see them simply advertising side to side with the pg13 movies eitherway.

If Blade is announced as one I'll be surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"