Should Fox just focus on R rated Marvel Movies?

There is also more options within the genre.

Yeah...but only Fox, as of late, for the past 3 R-rated Marvel movies got a more than legitimate streak going.
We'll see how this continues to fare with the upcoming sequels to 2/3 of those.
Also, season finale this Wednesday to arguably the best TV-MA comic book show :woot:

Yeah...but only Fox, as of late, for the past 3 R-rated Marvel movies got a more than legitimate streak going.
We'll see how this continues to fare with the upcoming sequels to 2/3 of those.
Also, season finale this Wednesday to arguably the best TV-MA comic book show :woot:

Legitimate streak of R-rated fare? No doubt. Sony will stumble out of the gate I'd wager.

Now with FC and DOFP and The Wolverine the goodwill had returned, but in came Apocalypse. There needs to be better quality control to mantain their goodwill. The misshaps of TLS and Apocalypse should have been identified from scripting stage.

Completely agree with this. I'm big fan of the X-Men movies. Actually didn't mind TLS despite its problems, loathed Origins: Wolverine, but loved FC, The Wolverine and (especially) DoFP. To say I was looking forward to Apocalypse would have been putting it mildly. But honestly, what a letdown. I know DoFP was a tough act to follow but I really feel the franchise has taken a big backward step :csad:

It depends on the characters. When it comes to individuals like Wolverine, Deadpool, Blade, and the Punisher, they are certainly NOT the family-friendly type of characters. You could expect a lot of gory violence, foul language, and female nudity from those guys so they definitely belong in the rated R territory.

On the other hand, the X-men, the Avengers, and Fantastic 4 should remain in the PG-13 territory because these heroes appeal to everyone of all ages and would never go to the extreme like the 4 mentioned individuals above.

It depends on the characters. When it comes to individuals like Wolverine, Deadpool, Blade, and the Punisher, they are certainly NOT the family-friendly type of characters. You could expect a lot of gory violence, foul language, and female nudity from those guys so they definitely belong in the rated R territory.

On the other hand, the X-men, the Avengers, and Fantastic 4 should remain in the PG-13 territory because these heroes appeal to everyone of all ages and would never go to the extreme like the 4 mentioned individuals above.

This exactly.

No, they should make R-rated movies only because apart from DP, Wolvie and the X-force no other X-men propert justifies it. New Mutants, X0factor, X-men don't need r-ratings and it would be weird for them to be gory and having swearing.

Keep the mainline x-films PG-13 and some spinoffs like Wolverine/Xforce R -rated.

The only time I think a mainline Xmen movie should be R would be if they decided to do a Brood centric film.
The horror nature of it necessitates a R rating.
Even the great X-men TAS couldnt do justice to the brood b/c of the censors.

I wouldn't mind if some Xmen movies were R rated. But more than that they should focus on making good stories and not trying to jam a long story into a short movie. I would love to see an Xmen story with only 3 or 4 of the members who have gotten the shaft since 2000.

Let's be real here. R-rated superhero films are mostly going to be on a budget. Even building off of Deadpool into an X-Force movie, Fox is not going to be able to keep up the volume of movies they have on their schedule without relegating a fair portion (especially new more costly ventures not building directly off of Deadpool) to PG-13.

That being said, there are more avenues for studios to turn a profit now-days (although perhaps more expenditures as well?) so at least we're seeing some unconventional routes being taken at times when not a huge financial risk; 2 DC R-rated animated features being prime examples.

...2 DC R-rated animated features being prime examples.
Not really given most of those have been pretty darn violent even on a PG-13 level. Assault on Arkham has more blood in its runtime than the movie titled Suicide Squad.

Yeah, but parents going through the movie aisle (or perhaps parental locks on a streaming service nowdays) will sit down and watch it with their kids or give the ok if it's rated pg-13 vs. R in some cases (not claiming to be an expert on how many).

I'm not arguing the violence of pg-13 vs. R. I think it's deplorable how violence is shown as nothing but fun mayhem in pg-13 while it get's rated R if there's an emotional toll attached to it for sure.:whatever:

James gunn said marvel could make a r rated movie, what a joke.

They didnt even want to help Sony make venom.

Marvel have thousands of characters to chose from and could easily make r rated movies. Look at the success of their netflix shows.
The kids that watched avengers will have grown up and may want something different. Marvel will want to expand. Will they make the same money? No. But there is profit to be made (probably on a lower budget).

Might aswell say wb can only make pg sci fi films.

You are just making stuff out of your head. The Netflix shows are r-rated and they are Marvel. if a movie truly guarantees an r-rating they will do. No MCU movie has truly needed it. NONE. So instead of calling them out, maybe you should try and think first?

And lets not pretend that a potential R rating is anything to do with Marvel being uninvolved in Venom. I'd argue it being a terrible idea will have put that studio off of the idea first.

8902103.gif

'We can make r rated movies if the characters deserve it.'

*only pick characters that do not need r rating for movies*

'See? we can make r rated movies but no characters really need it.'

SKsfQal.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads