Should Fox just focus on R rated Marvel Movies?

The Overlord

Superhero
Reaction score
In recent times, it seems like Fox has found success making R rated Marvel films like Deadpool and Logan, while their recent PG-13 outings like X-men Apocalypse, have been underwhelming (the less said about Fan4stic, the better).

So should Fox put most its efforts into R rated Marvel films, that Disney would never make? Or should they try and make more PG-13 films?

I do think some characters would not work in a r rated setting, Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four (I don't want Fox to make an R rated FF movie) but other characters like Deadpool and Wolverine seem to work better in an R rated setting.

No. Just good ones. X-Men: First Class and X-Men: Days of Future Past are two of the best superhero movies I've seen.

I don't care if the movie is rated PG or R as long as it's good, but I love to see when filmmakers are not holding back on characters who have mature and explicit stories and themes in their comics.I don't think R-rated X-Men movies would necessarily be good, and I also don't think that the PG Deadpool movie would be good. So, know your characters and stay faithful to them. :)

An X-Men movie starring the likes of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, and Nightcrawler (especially Nightcrawler) doesn't need to be rated R. Even the Dark Phoenix Saga is a space opera and melodrama, not a gritty story of violence.

That runs the risk of forcing round shapes in square holes. See what Zack Snyder did to Superman for more.

But yes, Fox should absolutely continue making R rated superhero movies where appropriate. Deadpool 2 is an obvious case, as would be an X-23 spinoff if it ever gets made. X-Force also could be R and maybe even Gambit if that ever is even attempted. But the mainline and New Mutants for that matter should be all ages. With that said, it does not mean they have to copy the sitcom tone enjoyed by Marvel Studios films so often.

Just hire talented directors who aren't afraid to fully embrace the source material and you're gold. The R-rating game would inevitably turn into a gimmick if the material (characters) doesn't justify it.

Gimme my NC-17 dark phoenix x-men movie.

An X-Men movie starring the likes of Cyclops, Jean, Storm, and Nightcrawler (especially Nightcrawler) doesn't need to be rated R. Even the Dark Phoenix Saga is a space opera and melodrama, not a gritty story of violence.

That runs the risk of forcing round shapes in square holes. See what Zack Snyder did to Superman for more.

But yes, Fox should absolutely continue making R rated superhero movies where appropriate. Deadpool 2 is an obvious case, as would be an X-23 spinoff if it ever gets made. X-Force also could be R and maybe even Gambit if that ever is even attempted. But the mainline and New Mutants for that matter should be all ages. With that said, it does not mean they have to copy the sitcom tone enjoyed by Marvel Studios films so often.

Which films in the MCU enjoy(?) a "sitcom tone"?

directed by Aronofsky or Lynch :oldrazz:

Actually, having that mentioned, Aronofsky was on board to direct The Wolverine... It would be interesting to see something like that, but I guess Logan would probably never happen then.

Which films in the MCU enjoy(?) a "sitcom tone"?

Ant-Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Doctor Strange from Act Two and onwards, and large parts of Civil War (which I still liked a lot!).

So quite a few of them.

The one thing both Deadpool and Logan should teach to all of these studios is that these films have to be handled individually. PG-13 is perfect for the main X-Men films, Superman, Avengers etc, but some of these characters need more. With Logan it was absolutely insane to see him actually use those claws just like one would expect them to work, and not a watered down TMNT style of using sharp weapons for everything but serious damage. That was refreshing and beautiful, and absolutely in line with the character. Same goes for Deadpool. But hell, this will not work for the type of characters or teams that have no need for that higher rating. Just like Zack Snyder misunderstood Nolan's Batman and the tone those films had and tried to adapt Superman on the same formula, Fox shouldn't jump the gun here and start working everything like they have to be R.

Variety is the cure for this "genre" to last very very long.

Last edited:
No. A mainstream X-Men film or something like New Mutants has no business being R. Stuff like Deadpool, X-Force, Wolverine, sure.

There is no reason they can't do both. Variety is a good thing.

Ant-Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor, Thor: The Dark World, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Doctor Strange from Act Two and onwards, and large parts of Civil War (which I still liked a lot!).

So quite a few of them.

The named films all have fewer goofy comedic beats than Deadpool. Does the raunchy language, blood and partial nudity help that film avoid a "sitcom tone"?

The named films all have fewer goofy comedic beats than Deadpool. Does the raunchy language, blood and partial nudity help that film avoid a "sitcom tone" ?
But DP was not made by Marvel. Nor Raimi's Spider-Man

But DP was not made by Marvel. Nor Raimi's Spider-Man

The poster drew a line between the R rated Deadpool and the sitcommy MCU. I failed to see the distinction.

They don't have to choose, they can continue to do both which gives their universe a lot of versatility and variety. The most important thing to remember is that Deadpool and Logan are not good because of it's rating, they are just good movies that happen to be rated R.

The poster drew a line between the R rated Deadpool and the sitcommy MCU. I failed to see the distinction.

Keep in mind that Marvel does make more adult "R Rated" fare as well. It is just on Netflix instead of in theaters.

If more Deadpool and xforce are coming up, fox will focus more on r-rated movies anyway.

If more Deadpool and xforce are coming up, fox will focus more on r-rated movies anyway.

True. And I do think they would probably benefit from focusing more on Deadpool and X-Force and less on the traditional X-Men, which has gotten somewhat tired.

As do I. :cwink:

Humor is subjective and I'm sure there are differences, but overall the only argument he could really make is it's a 'universe thang' as opposed to individual movies/franchises at Fox or Sony. Even then, there is certainly a difference between the MCU films, usually dictated by the director.

Last edited:
I could see FOX putting X-Men proper on hold, especially if the creativity Kinberg showed on FFINO and Apocalypse continues with Supernova. It makes sense to zig with lower cost offerings like Deadpool, X-Force, New Mutants and (perhaps) Gambit while the MCU and DCEU zag.

I could see FOX putting X-Men proper on hold, especially if the creativity Kinberg showed on FFINO and Apocalypse continues with Supernova. It makes sense to zig with lower cost offerings like Deadpool, X-Force, New Mutants and (perhaps) Gambit while the MCU and DCEU zag.

X-Force would out gross any X-Men film at this point in time.

Kinberg is a buzzkiller. I'd like to be excited about Boone coming on as he seems to be the first X-Men director who was actually a fan of the comics (perhaps Vaughn?). We'll see.

"sitcom tone enjoyed by Marvel Studios films so often".
Even if Deadpool is the tour de force of said declaration, the MCU is still more known for it. That's what I understood.

In any case, Fox does R-rated cbm's like no other as they're about to be 3 for 3.
More often than not, those either tank with critics and/or the box office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"