Should Fox just focus on R rated Marvel Movies?

Nah, but I would like to see them reboot the X Films. I feel like they have ranged from Aight to Good, but have never really reached the potential I feel like they should, because they did the first trilogy before they really found the formula or knew that the films would be better received when they are closer to the source material, the audience is willing to invest and bring in outside knowledge, etc.

I feel like they kinda realized that and took a better approach with First Class and DOFP, but the films have been really shackled and held back by the first several films, going so far as to change things with time travel, but they can't change everything.

Haven't seen Logan yet, but the reviews make me wish these guys had been in charge since the first Wolverine, a period piece war movie, a Samurai film, and Logan, the nWo Western, chase movie. Logan I think goes to show how much more potential the source material has, and I think they need to restart once Jackman is gone, because I know that was 80% of the reason First Class wasn't a full reboot.

I'm a fan of the MCU. But tbf... he's not wrong.

Marvel will never make films like Deadpool or Logan. They can't. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They're aiming for that Star Wars/Back to the Future/Indiana Jones style and tone. And for the most part they are nailing it. Those types of movies are difficult to get right. And they are just as credible as more artsy fare. The imagination, craft and passion is still there. The MCU films aren't just shallow half arsed cash grabs.

I remember watching Avengers opening weekend. It was an extraordinary experience. The film might not have stakes or drama, but the audience was fully engrossed and having the time of their lives. The only other cinema experience I've had that was similar was Deadpool, funnily enough.

These films connect with people the same as some harrowing drama, just in a different way. That is what art is. So anyone who looks down on these types of films regardless of how well they are executed needs to reach far down and pull their heads out of their arses. End of story. Simple as that.

Too be fair, Marvel made a good move and spun most of their darker properties that didn't require a huge budget over to Netflix.

So while Guardians and the Galaxy and Iron Man can have a lighter tone, shows like Daredevil and Jessica Jones have a smaller budget, but deal with R rated subject matter.

So it seems like a lot of Marvel properties are being done justice under their respective owners (except for the FF, who got screwed over).

As with everything else fandom is lmost as reactionary as DC. The hottest thing comes out and everything else should follow through. The day BvS UC came out i saw 5 posts in the MCU reddit whether Marvel should ever do an r-rated film. The answer was NO to that question and the answer is NO to this one.

An r-rated X-men movie would be a mistake. Fox only doing r-rated films is also a mistake. They should do both. I can guarantee you that the deadpool shtick will get tiresome pretty quickly and his appeal will diminish. There is only so much raunchy comedy you can handle before it gets repititive. So Fox needs to have a backup plan.

And let's not forget r-rated films are still a risk since they are restricting their audience capacity. Making a 150 million r-rated film is a huge gamble. Making a pg-13 one is less so.

None of these R rated films will have budgets over 100 million I don't think.

But saying that, Deadpool made close to 800 million and I'm thinking Logan will end up above 500 million. So they can be profitable even with bigger budgets.

I'm just happy that the good Fox movies,The MCU and Netflix stuff all offer a variety of different tones for everyone's taste. I just enjoy all of them. Now if only Fox would let Marvel Studios handle the Fantastic Four...

I'm just happy that the good Fox movies,The MCU and Netflix stuff all offer a variety of different tones for everyone's taste. I just enjoy all of them. Now if only Fox would let Marvel Studios handle the Fantastic Four...

Spot on dude, spot on :up:

They should focus on making good movies, the rating itself is irrelevant

In recent times, it seems like Fox has found success making R rated Marvel films like Deadpool and Logan, while their recent PG-13 outings like X-men Apocalypse, have been underwhelming (the less said about Fan4stic, the better).

So should Fox put most its efforts into R rated Marvel films, that Disney would never make? Or should they try and make more PG-13 films?

I do think some characters would not work in a r rated setting, Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four (I don't want Fox to make an R rated FF movie) but other characters like Deadpool and Wolverine seem to work better in an R rated setting.

not a good idea. Not all R is good R. Predator? Yes. Most slasher films? No.

there's still a major teen/youth audience for this stuff, so it is in Fox's corporate interest to keep this in mind. PG-13 is a good standard, then selectively, go into other territories for certain specific characters. General X-Men films can stay PG-13, including New Mutants. Deadpool, and "hardcore violent style" characters? yes, they can take it to the R level, but the story had better be there.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: no and this thread is stupid and built upon a flawed logical foundation. Why on Earth would Fox, as a uniform policy, cut off a huge part of the consumer market?

Long answer: no and this thread is stupid and built upon a flawed logical foundation. Why on Earth would Fox, as a uniform policy, cut off a huge part of the consumer market?

Is it really that big of an issue? There were lots of kids in the theater when I went and saw Logan.

Actually, it is. This isn't the 90s anymore, when R-rated action movies could practically be marketed straight to teenagers and this was just good business. These days, theater chains actually do generally enforce age restrictions, and marketing in a way that looks like your dodging them? Gets you some really bad PR.

Those kids you saw were almost certainly accompanied by adults. Which is fine. . . but what you do lose out on are all the teenagers who go to movies *without* adults. And all the kids whose parents *won't* take them to a R movie, but would to a PG-13.

The last two PG-13 Marvel movies churned out by Fox were pretty terrible and lost them money. However they've released two lower budget R-rated movies that are adored by audiences and massively profitable; it makes sense to go down this path, and I'm hoping they will. I don't care about whatever PG-13 X-related film they're going to make next because it's all but guaranteed to not be as interesting. They've found their corner of the marketplace, so I'm hoping they use it to their advantage.

Last edited:

I do not think the premise of this thread is stupid, because I talked more about focus then anything else and I am asking a broad question to stir an interesting debate, the premise is going to be a bit contentious in order to stir up more debate, I am not saying every Fox Marvel movie should be R rated.

For example, in regards to spin off movies, I think New Mutants should be PG-13 and X-Force should be R rated, because those ratings fit their niche better.

But I think recently Fox has found more success with R rated martial then they did with their PG-13 movies.

only certain characters fit the r rating system, that goes for all comic characters.

I can't see the traditional X-Men being r rated. Wolverine and Deadpool fit it but not the team from Apocalypse.
F4 and Silver Surfer are not r rated heroes.

In the MCU movies
only Tony Stark would fit that since he is a womanizer and enjoys parties. Action wise I don't see him fitting the r rating.
With their Netflix shows I see Punisher being the guy. They have a movie guy in Bernthal but I doubt Punisher gets a movie.

Nah just make good movies with no regard for continuity. I have no idea when Logan takes place and in what timeline, but it's probably my favorite CBM since TDK. Instead of trying to follow the MCU's cohesive universe, just focus on making quality standalone flicks. Maybe the man X-Men movies can be continuous

Yes, to this.

There are some movies out there I don't love, but they seem to have some very vocal fans, and they didn't exactly flop at the box office, so hey, good for them. Keep making them, *in addition to* the movies I love, and there's something for everyone.

To paraphrase the Ancient One, 'Not everything is going to be made just for you. Not everything has to be.'

Some superhero movies are going to need that R rating to be great. I suspect a PG rated Deadpool would have planked hard. Others (like the Incredibles or Big Hero 6) can be great with a G rating. No one formula is going to work for every story and every audience.

If they were smart, yes.

come to an agreement with fox. Allow for use of all characters.

Fox handles the movies that require an r rated tone. Marvel handles the movies that are pg 13 tone.

Basically both studios stick to what you have proven to be great at (money talks)

Marvel should oversee all movies for accuracy, continuity, and overall film quality standards.

Would be amazing

First, the elephant in this thread is Logan, because that's what we're really talking about here - suddenly Logan is a huge success and people think an R rating is magic. People go nuts about Deadpool, but IMO it's fun but not even close to the film that Logan is

I loved Logan, but if every Fox cbm suddenly became a tragic violence fest well, then I'd stop watching pretty damn quick.

Logan stands out because it's different, but let's say if all of a sudden the MCU shifted into gritty super-violent films that would at the same time produce films which would then be compared to Logan (and probably suffer for the comparison) and the sense of fun which makes MCU films so watchable might be lost.

Logan lends itself well to the particular tone and story that it told because of the nature of the character, who's a borderline antihero, and the acting skills of the leads ( Patrick Stewart in particular as the KIng Lear version of Professor X). Truth be told, it wasn't the violence, or swearing that makes the film great, but the focus on these characters as people and their essential humanity.

Superhero movies are escapism at its best, there's no need for a bunch of Logan clones - we don't really need to see the sad final days of the Hulk as he looks back on a life of mindless rage, as his gamma ray strength dwindles and wonders where it all went wrong.

So a resounding "No" from me. Let films like Logan come about organically, when the characters and stories are just right.

So a resounding "No" from me. Let films like Logan come about organically, when the characters and stories are just right.

Some good stuff from this guy.

Retitle the thread "DC decided that since the Nolan Batfilms made bank, that *every* superhero movie should be dark and grim. After the success of Logan (and Deadpool) should Fox and / or Marvel do the same thing and make every single Fox / Marvel movie R-rated and ultra-violent?" and that pretty much answers itself.

Agreed. I would've preferred that someone like Jamie Chung be cast as Psylocke, especially since acting prowess wasn't what they were looking for.

Jamie Chung. Yeah she was so awesome as Mulan and Chi Chi.:hmr: I bet she would nail the role of Blink and win an Emmy.:o

I'm already afraid of the R rating.

Deadpool and Logan were not successful because of the rating. They did well because they were good. What Fox should focus on is making each film special, and bringing in talent that have passion for the material they are working with. No more, no less.

Ratings are irrelevent. Deadpool was R rated because the character is raunchy. Logan was R rated because the character kills people with razor sharp claws attached to his fists. Fox should allow the property to determine the rating, and just make it good. If they can, sure why not keep the budgets modest to minimize financial risk. They're going to struggle to compete with Marvel on that front anyway (and DC for that matter as they love burning cash).

Highly likely most studios are going to learn the wrong lesson here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"