Ms. Marvel Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel General Discussion Thread

I think it's the opposite actually. I think they aired it during Obi-Wan, because they wanted people looking for Obi-Wan to see Ms. Marvel is an option. Dividing the shows on Weds and Friday wouldn't change... well anything. Because you can still stream Ms. Marvel on Friday. It's still totally available. Obi-Wan itself has apparently done fine while going against Stranger Things directly.

I definitely think part of the problem is the character has a lower que rating. The show also skews younger and there are plenty of racist and sexist jerks who just won't watch a show starring a woman, especially a brown one. But as one who's in no rush to watch episode 3, I think the quality of the show itself might be an issue for some folk. Because this isn't a small gap. It's pretty huge. And it doesn't even have the Hawkeye excuse of coming out on a holiday (Hawkeye recovered beautifully post Thanksgiving).

Also, never discount how bad her powers look. I know many will feel it's nitpicking, but beyond the annoyance with the change, they just look lame. So as pretty as the show is overall, they just look blah.

I went on the r/television post about the ratings, which got a ton of replies. And what I see a lot of is, "too teen bopper", "the powers look lame", and "the tv spots put me off". Plenty saying the tried it but turned it off. Nothing wrong with it, just not for them.

I was annoyed with the power change, but after looking at some not so great looking giant purple energy mitts I am thinking they made the right call. Large, fleshy human hands would probably have looked way worse.

The lame looking powers seems like it will be a problem for any Green Lantern/Quasar type adapted for live action. The ability to create energy constructs are a classic comic book power set that, from what we've seen, doesn't translate all that well.

I'm curious to see what the viewer hold will be for Ms. M. The inventive animation flourishes that stood out in the pilot were non existent by episode 3. That may be because we are heading into the serious part of the story, but as we move on it is looking less like a fresh new take on a teen superhero.

Last edited:
I was annoyed with the power change, but after looking at some not so great looking giant purple energy mitts I am thinking they made the right call. Large, fleshy human hands would probably have looked way worse.

The lame looking powers seems like it will be a problem for any Green Lantern/Quasar type adapted for live action. The ability to create energy constructs are a classic comic book power set that, from what we've seen, doesn't translate all that well.

I'm curious to see what the viewer hold will be for Ms. M. The inventive animation flourishes that stood out in the pilot were non existent by episode 3. That may be because we are heading into the serious part of the story, but as we move on it is looking less like a fresh new take on a teen superhero.
All fair. I wish these shows "looked like the movies" the way Marvel Studios and Lucasfilms promised us. But alas...

This one could end up long in the tooth. Decent word of mouth and a connection to Captain Marvel 2 next year. Might get a lot of people watching it later then usual. I did get a lot of sentiment on wanting to binge it as opposed to week to week, but I'd guess that's a lot of shows these days.

This is definitely not the type of show that I would consider a must watch on a weekly basis, especially compared to some of the past Marvel/Disney Plus shows, but I'm enjoying it so much that I honestly don't want to wait until I have to binge it all at once and IMO there are way too many shows coming out right now for that.

I feel like it could easily get lost in the shuffle, but her exposure in The Marvels should create way more awareness for the character overall and I can see more people checking it out down the line.

Agreed. This week was the first one I’ve watched since the premiere. It’s not a bad show per se, but there’s just too much Marvel lately and the story itself is pretty basic even if the execution is done well. And now with this week’s episode, we are dealing with
another secret group of people who have been hiding in the shadows all along

Give me the anthropomorphic cockatiel over "interdimensional djinn".

Three straight weeks of Muslim Positivity in a Hollywood project = :up:

For once, I am not bored with how Islam is portrayed in a Hollywood project. It doesn't hurt that the directors and head writer are Muslim, when many other Hollywood projects that include Islam are written by non Muslims. Hopefully the religion can continue to be portrayed in a positive light in the MCU as Kamala's story moves forward. Yes, I expect that the religion will go back to being "full of terrorists" in future Hollywood projects, but inside the MCU, I know that the religion of Islam will be seen as "a good religion." To me that is progress at how a certain group of people (Muslims) are portrayed.

Give me the anthropomorphic cockatiel over "interdimensional djinn".

Though Wilson and Alphona managed to get a lot right in their fresh take on a teen superhero, they weren't quite at the level of the Lee/Ditko pairing in assembling a rogues gallery. But slightly more evil Thomas Edison would have probably been more interesting than these folks and their curiously timed heel turn. Maybe they are lying about their origin and they have something more interesting going on?

Last edited:
I'm not gonna lie, I was really enjoying this whole show until they had to go into the obligatory "villain" territory which was handled like a cheap CW show. I was totally fine with no antagonists, just exploring her life, her family, her powers. I know eventually there had to be stakes of some kind, but that whole side of the series didn't work for me at all.

I mean, yeah, there had to be a villain at some point

And I'm assuming the Djinn thing is a ruse. We clearly saw the bangle come off a Kree arm, so Inhumans is still definitely not off the table.

When Kamala asked "what are you" me and my gf were waiting for her to drop the "I" word... then she said Djinn and we were like aw hell no

Maybe i'm wrong but I feel like they're not gonna be total villains and hopefully they make that female agent of Damage Control the main bad when we get to the final episode.

Between this show and Obi Wan you can get whiplash watching Disney heroes and villains change their behavior in an instant without any rhyme or reason.

Well it was obvious she was up to something when she was talking to Kamala and gave her that look. It wasn't that much of a surprise.

I definitely thought she was up to something. But her original plan of attempting to convince the teenager to do what she wanted was still a viable option. The change from carrot to stick could at least have waited until after the wedding.

Yeah no, I'll give you Obi-Wan
But the villain in this show was obvious the second she showed up in the back of that car

djinn introduced, defeated and arrested all within an episode. do they make a re-appearance?

djinn introduced, defeated and arrested all within an episode. do they make a re-appearance?

They should because

one of them is Kamran's mother, and he wasn't arrested in the episode.

Everything about this show has been genuinely great except for the villains. Yeesh.

All I can say:
Woaaaah….we're half way there…

Last edited:
Yeah no, I'll give you Obi-Wan
But the villain in this show was obvious the second she showed up in the back of that car

Yeah, but I thought the sudden change in the evil plan from "Let's convince her to work with us." to "Frick that, let's attack her in the most public venue we can find!" was a smidge odd.

Yeah, but I thought the adjustment in the evil plan from "Let's convince her to work with us." to "Frick that, let's attack her in the most public venue we can find!" was a smidge odd.

That's true, they did not give her a whole lot of time to come around

I'm assuming we'll get some indication as to why they couldn't wait

But yeah, Kamala didn't even say "no" she just said she was concerned it might be dangerous... they could've tried harder to ease her fears before trying to murder her whole family. But, Najma does not seem like a terribly reasonable person.

Everything about this show has been genuinely great except for the villains. Yeesh.

I would say the same about The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Unlike poor Karli Morgenthau and her Flag Smashers, Najma and Clan Destine at least have a few episodes to redeem themselves.

Thought their fighting moves were pretty cool. Especially the djin with ball and chain

Love the show so far, but these villains are lame as hell. Def more Phase 1 esque MCU villains than Phase 3. Don't even need a figure of these jokers, lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"