Ms. Marvel Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'MCU Limited Series on Disney+' started by terry78, Aug 23, 2019.

1. AVEITWITHJAMON Badass Cloud

Shame about the ratings but once The Marvels hits next year the characters stock will rise for sure.

eddy and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  2. Zarex Registered

I was annoyed with the power change, but after looking at some not so great looking giant purple energy mitts I am thinking they made the right call. Large, fleshy human hands would probably have looked way worse.

The lame looking powers seems like it will be a problem for any Green Lantern/Quasar type adapted for live action. The ability to create energy constructs are a classic comic book power set that, from what we've seen, doesn't translate all that well.

I'm curious to see what the viewer hold will be for Ms. M. The inventive animation flourishes that stood out in the pilot were non existent by episode 3. That may be because we are heading into the serious part of the story, but as we move on it is looking less like a fresh new take on a teen superhero.

#677 Zarex, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    DarthSkywalker likes this.
  3. DarthSkywalker My Hands Are Cold (he/him)

All fair. I wish these shows "looked like the movies" the way Marvel Studios and Lucasfilms promised us. But alas...

This one could end up long in the tooth. Decent word of mouth and a connection to Captain Marvel 2 next year. Might get a lot of people watching it later then usual. I did get a lot of sentiment on wanting to binge it as opposed to week to week, but I'd guess that's a lot of shows these days.

SPO2 Dalisay and Zarex like this.
  4. KaijuDude1992 Registered

This is definitely not the type of show that I would consider a must watch on a weekly basis, especially compared to some of the past Marvel/Disney Plus shows, but I'm enjoying it so much that I honestly don't want to wait until I have to binge it all at once and IMO there are way too many shows coming out right now for that.

I feel like it could easily get lost in the shuffle, but her exposure in The Marvels should create way more awareness for the character overall and I can see more people checking it out down the line.

5. samsnee Ok

Agreed. This week was the first one I’ve watched since the premiere. It’s not a bad show per se, but there’s just too much Marvel lately and the story itself is pretty basic even if the execution is done well. And now with this week’s episode, we are dealing with
    another secret group of people who have been hiding in the shadows all along

6. Sithborg Registered

Give me the anthropomorphic cockatiel over "interdimensional djinn".

7. Dr. Evil Registered

Three straight weeks of Muslim Positivity in a Hollywood project = :up:

For once, I am not bored with how Islam is portrayed in a Hollywood project. It doesn't hurt that the directors and head writer are Muslim, when many other Hollywood projects that include Islam are written by non Muslims. Hopefully the religion can continue to be portrayed in a positive light in the MCU as Kamala's story moves forward. Yes, I expect that the religion will go back to being "full of terrorists" in future Hollywood projects, but inside the MCU, I know that the religion of Islam will be seen as "a good religion." To me that is progress at how a certain group of people (Muslims) are portrayed.

8. Zarex Registered

Though Wilson and Alphona managed to get a lot right in their fresh take on a teen superhero, they weren't quite at the level of the Lee/Ditko pairing in assembling a rogues gallery. But slightly more evil Thomas Edison would have probably been more interesting than these folks and their curiously timed heel turn. Maybe they are lying about their origin and they have something more interesting going on?

#683 Zarex, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  9. DyeLorean will return

I'm not gonna lie, I was really enjoying this whole show until they had to go into the obligatory "villain" territory which was handled like a cheap CW show. I was totally fine with no antagonists, just exploring her life, her family, her powers. I know eventually there had to be stakes of some kind, but that whole side of the series didn't work for me at all.

Sithborg and Kev4000 like this.
  10. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

I mean, yeah, there had to be a villain at some point

And I'm assuming the Djinn thing is a ruse. We clearly saw the bangle come off a Kree arm, so Inhumans is still definitely not off the table.

When Kamala asked "what are you" me and my gf were waiting for her to drop the "I" word... then she said Djinn and we were like aw hell no

SPO2 Dalisay likes this.
  11. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

Maybe i'm wrong but I feel like they're not gonna be total villains and hopefully they make that female agent of Damage Control the main bad when we get to the final episode.

12. Zarex Registered

Between this show and Obi Wan you can get whiplash watching Disney heroes and villains change their behavior in an instant without any rhyme or reason.

13. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

Well it was obvious she was up to something when she was talking to Kamala and gave her that look. It wasn't that much of a surprise.

14. Zarex Registered

I definitely thought she was up to something. But her original plan of attempting to convince the teenager to do what she wanted was still a viable option. The change from carrot to stick could at least have waited until after the wedding.

15. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Yeah no, I'll give you Obi-Wan
    But the villain in this show was obvious the second she showed up in the back of that car

SPO2 Dalisay and Kane52630 like this.
  16. djsunyc Registered

djinn introduced, defeated and arrested all within an episode. do they make a re-appearance?

17. Dr. Evil Registered

They should because

one of them is Kamran's mother, and he wasn't arrested in the episode.

18. Boom I got nothin'

Everything about this show has been genuinely great except for the villains. Yeesh.

Zarex likes this.
  19. Albright No more…Krasinski

All I can say:
    Woaaaah….we're half way there…

#694 Albright, Jun 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    Zarex likes this.
  20. Zarex Registered

Yeah, but I thought the sudden change in the evil plan from "Let's convince her to work with us." to "Frick that, let's attack her in the most public venue we can find!" was a smidge odd.

21. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

That's true, they did not give her a whole lot of time to come around

I'm assuming we'll get some indication as to why they couldn't wait

But yeah, Kamala didn't even say "no" she just said she was concerned it might be dangerous... they could've tried harder to ease her fears before trying to murder her whole family. But, Najma does not seem like a terribly reasonable person.

22. Zarex Registered

I would say the same about The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Unlike poor Karli Morgenthau and her Flag Smashers, Najma and Clan Destine at least have a few episodes to redeem themselves.

Boom likes this.
  23. Albright No more…Krasinski

Thought their fighting moves were pretty cool. Especially the djin with ball and chain

24. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

I think that was an urumi (whip-sword).

Albright likes this.
  25. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Love the show so far, but these villains are lame as hell. Def more Phase 1 esque MCU villains than Phase 3. Don't even need a figure of these jokers, lol!