Excelsior! Ms. Marvel Reborn as Muslim-American Teenager

WASP is the equivalent of a slur although it's a tame one compared to others. It's casually offensive but it does refer to a smaller group of people, a minority if you will, which ironically no one gives a damn about offending because they're also a rich one (usually).

It is good that there is another female Muslim Marvel superhero especially one getting a solo book but Its not like she is the first female Marvel Muslim superhero.

The X-Men's Monet and Dust as well as MI:13's Excalibur Dr. Faiza Hussain are all still around.

Wonder how much **** Conan will be in for his tweet over this.

Wonder how much **** Conan will be in for his tweet over this.

What did his tweet say? If it was as bad as the comment he made about DC introducing their first transgender character, he deserves all of it.

WASP is the equivalent of a slur although it's a tame one compared to others. It's casually offensive but it does refer to a smaller group of people, a minority if you will, which ironically no one gives a damn about offending because they're also a rich one (usually).

WASP is a slur? Okay, now this is just getting ridiculous.

I don't think WASPs are that thin-skinned. Let me go downstairs and ask.

I think you're going overboard, Chaseter. Krypton wasn't trying to offend anyone. WASP can be derogatory depending on how it's used, but that clearly wasn't Krypton's intent. He was only using it to describe a sub-group.

'Majority' is not a sub group. You can't be a champion for equality and spout derogatory remarks on the same page. I wasn't offended because I don't care about the fanaticism.

The US is founded on genocide and slavery so no it has not always been a multicultural country. I don't know what's more sad; people proud that an old character is getting a minority face lift or the fact that writers can't come up with good, original minority characters that they instead have to use established characters for anyone to give a dump. No one would care if they created a new Muslim hero. People get defensive or excited when it's Miles Morales becoming the new Spider-Man. It's a stunt to sell comics.

I think its down to the thinking in these comic companies that original solo minority superheroes don't sell well enough.

Even a high profile character like Black Panther doesn't even have a solo title anymore.

I don't know why there aren't more solo minority non-legacy character books as there should be atleast a few who could support their own title.

To be fair, I think the name Black Panther carries some negative connotations with white people.

WASP is a slur? Okay, now this is just getting ridiculous.

I don't think WASPs are that thin-skinned. Let me go downstairs and ask.
Note I said equivalent, not that it was. I didn't throw that word in there for funsies.

To be fair, I think the name Black Panther carries some negative connotations with white people.

I wouldn't of thought so with anyone under the age of 50 and those are the people who buy comics.

I don't think many people white, black or any other race born after the 70's even know that much about the black panthers to form an opinion on them or a character sharing the name.

I don't even think it's that. But from now on I'll try to be less offensive.
Do you know cracker can also be a racist term? Or oreo? banana? Just because you don't see how it can be doesn't mean it isn't. There are no shortage of words that are used as slurs or offensive words but most people don't realize it and apparently, some just don't care. That's how casual this is.

I wouldn't of thought so with anyone under the age of 50 and those are the people who buy comics.

I don't think many people white, black or any other race born after the 70's even know that much about the black panthers to form an opinion on them or a character sharing the name.

Well, they do have parents. Though I mainly make that assumption because I've had people tell me just that (i.e. they think he's related to the black panther movement).

Kids, I have no idea.

Do you know cracker can also be a racist term? Or oreo? banana? Just because you don't see how it can be doesn't mean it isn't. There are no shortage of words that are used as slurs or offensive words but most people don't realize it and apparently, some just don't care. That's how casual this is.

Of course, because those are actual slurs. WASP just means white, Anglo-Saxon Protestant (which is what WASPs.... being WASPs, identify as, and refer to themselves as).

Anyone who thinks that's a slur, let alone offensive, needs a reality check.

:doh: I don't think there's any point in making a distinction between words with you. I already explained it once, you didn't get it. I explained it a second time, you still didn't get it. Continue to feel free it has no negative connotation.

edit, I have one last attempt: Wikipedia.

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (WASP) is an informal term, sometimes derogatory or disparaging, for a closed group of high-status Americans mostly of English Protestant ancestry.

Last edited:
:doh: I don't think there's any point in making a distinction between words with you. I already explained it once, you didn't get it. I explained it a second time, you still didn't get it. Continue to feel free it has no negative connotation.

edit, I have one last attempt: Wikipedia.

I get what you're saying, I just think it's ridiculous and disagree.

That Wikipedia page you cite even says "sometimes derogatory".

Anyway, it's clear we're not going to agree on this, so I'll move on.

How about that Conan?

It really bothers me that in America, it's "African American" when referring to black people. America goes on about how big their balls are, black people are black. Why so scared to use the word. White man, white boy, let no white woman prosper and take my man are all phrases out there and yet there's trepidation to refer to black people as being, black. Staggers belief.

Yeah. I'd prefer them explain where Carol goes. But otherwise I'm cool with it. It's exciting.

Yeah. I'd prefer them explain where Carol goes. But otherwise I'm cool with it. It's exciting.

Carol's not going away because of the new girl, she has her own title called CAPTAIN Marvel. She adopted the name quite a while ago and left the MS. behind.

It really bothers me that in America, it's "African American" when referring to black people. America goes on about how big their balls are, black people are black. Why so scared to use the word. White man, white boy, let no white woman prosper and take my man are all phrases out there and yet there's trepidation to refer to black people as being, black. Staggers belief.

I agree. I can't stand the term African-American. My daddy wasn't from Africa.

I've known some guys who hated to be called black. Of course they were from africa so there's that.

I've known some guys who hated to be called black. Of course they were from africa so there's that.

I've seen that. Some native Africans really do have some animosity toward black Americans. The media and those who perpetuate the stereotypes are to blame for that. Aries Spears said something about that in one of his stand ups.

It wasn't that they had animosity towards anyone, it's the fact that they were African and they didn't want to be called anything but that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"