Marvel Zombies!

Dread said:
I heard about this and I groaned. I groaned for several reasons:

1). It proves that Marvel does not realize, even after a bankruptcy, that it is not 1994 anymore. A book will not sell simply because it is a spin-off of a "hot"
title anymore. If that were true, then JUBILEE, ROGUE, and GAMBIT would not have been cancelled. SPIDER-GIRL would not be alive solely because of fans making it a sacred cow and needing something to mine for digests. And Marvel would not have so little faith in ongoing titles that almost nothing these days that wasn't already an ongoing title is being slated as something other than a "mini series". If they hope people will buy this book solely because of Ultimate Fantastic Four, then Marvel really needs to learn a new trick.

2). Marvel already has a bloated line with books that accomplish little point and no one buys. Yes, DC does the same thing. But does competition mean repeating your rival's mistakes? What is the point of a series based on an alternate universe from a 3 issue run of ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR, which is only the weakest selling Ultimate title right now.

3). It will have every poster who reads WALKING DEAD, one of those titles no one reads that is hailed as being good, saying that if you like Zombies and Kirkman in MARVEL ZOMBIES, you should REALLY be reading WALKING DEAD. Prove me wrong. It's impossible to talk about GRAVITY without having people shill for INVINCIBLE, and this will be no different. Look, it's great that online fans like trying to do a better job of promoting weak selling quality books than the companies do, but getting a handful of people on Hype to read a title will not help sales at all. It's one of those "principle" things I guess. Maybe the satisfaction of getting one more person reading, say, RUNAWAYS, offsets that fact that said accomplishment doesn't help the book's sales in any way. You need to increase readers and demand in the thousands to even have a shot at helping a book.

4). If this series is meant to amp up Kirkman, why? He's a good writer but I like books to have a purpose for existing, or to at least pretend to. If they're trying to amp Kirkman up in hopes that MTU will sell better, I can tell you right now it won't work. If they're trying to help sales on WALKING DEAD, why in god's name does Marvel want to amp a competitor (for that matter, why is INVINCIBLE showing up in MTU? Why? INVINCIBLE outsells a few Marvel books and they're HELPING it? It's like Marvel has no business sense).

5). It's one of those "watch the fanboys buy anything" titles that usually seems limited to X-spinoffs.

So, I'm really not interested, despite Kirkman and a pretty cover.

You win the prize.

Checked out the first two issues.

I believe that is was implied that there will be no 'fix' for the Marvel zombies line. The creator(AFAIK) Mentained doing further comics in the MZ universe. perhaps it will have the zeds trying to punch into the Ultimates universe again.

There is probably going to be a connection made between the zeds and Galactus. Both are consumed by hunger, so i don't think Galactus will get zedded since it would be redundant.

The 'Zombie=no lips' art made me go 'meh' there should be more decay.

Any discussion on the part of the zeds or exploration of trying to undo the zombification is pretty much a moot point. Why? Humanity has been virtualy destroyed. Any survivors would be in so small numbers that trying to repopulate is doomed unless there is some mass Matrix like baby farm(Which makes one wonder why the zeds don't set up breeding farms for meat) Plus the normals are gonna be so violently opposed to having anything to do with the supers that they'd have to do the repopulating themselves. I figure that the zeds will figure out a way onto Asteroid M, then start going after other races like the Skull and Kree.

It's Canadian for Zee.

Anyway if I were writing This book I would have done a sotry where the zombies had killed everything on land (like the book is) But Namor and the atlanteans rose from the sea to kick some ash.

BTW, have we seen Zombie Strange?

Well I actually have a theory as to why the Zombies doen't do the whole body farm thing: when they hunger they don't think that clearly. thusly when they are willing to do such things, they aren't thinking clearly enough. remember, the soul of the hero is only squashed when they are gripped by their hunger.

I think this line raises some interesting questions as to what would happen to certain characters. the ones I'm thinking of are:

Mr. Immortal. once he dies, he comes back a full health. and as this is a cosmic ability and not a biological one, how would it affect the whole Zombification thing?

Carnage... is it just me, or is this kind of redundant for him, the fact that he already loves the taste of flesh. also, how would this situate him. he's fresh meat.

Terror, Inc. The guy's practically a zombie already, where does he go from here?

Blade, half vampire already craves part of the living (blood) would he zombify or would he make good meat?

What would that do to all the Vampires. Not to mention Zombie himself.

Roughneck said:
BTW, have we seen Zombie Strange?

We saw one panel of him in Ultimate FF #22, when the they were attack by Magneto with cars, trucks, etc.

I've never noticed them before, but I just discovered Ghostrider and Juggernaut.

How come those two are infected? I mean, GR is just a Skeleton on fire, and doesn't Juggernaut has that Gem of Cyttorak thing going for him? I thought he can't be injured because of that forcefield around his whole body.

I'm sure if we pick away we could find reasons for most of them not to be Zombies.

Iron Man for one, what did he have his mask up and get bit in the face?

Hulk, they would have to have bitten Banner.

Wolverine - With his healing factor what it seems to be lately how did he not fight this infection off.

Wasp - How did she get bitten and infected if she was so small, woulnd't it have just killed her....

I suppose that is if the infection is apssed through bites like most Zombie tales.

And what about Thor? He is an asgardian God, a mystic being. In one Issue of the Exiles the blood of the Asgardian gods was used to get rid of some Cyber virus that had infected the whole population.

You might think he could fight off some Zombie virus.

Then there are Reed and Ben. I've read a comic where Reed fought against Wolverine and his adamantium claws couldn't penetrate his skin, so how much better are some teeth going to do? And Ben's skin is pure stone.

That's true. It must not be infected by Biting.

Is Kitty a Zombie? She could avoid it easily. Iceman could brobably freeze the virus and The Human Toch could Burn it out.

Semi Off-topic but could Xavier use telepathy on a bacteria?

Roughneck said:
That's true. It must not be infected by Biting.

The first heroes were infected by a bite. Don't know if it's the same case with all heroes. Maybe they spit characters like Iron Man simply in his eye slots.

I believe that we are going to pretty much write it off as 'Comic logic' in regards to how the virus works. (Near) Everyone who is a super had gotten infected. Which makes me think that it was being directed to attack supers by someone.

THE VIRUS IS CAUSED BY RAGE

SO SAYS DOOM!!!

-DOOM :doom:

This book is great. I am loving it after 2 issues. I wasn't expecting it to be so gruesome which I thought was pretty cool..

It would seem, since the virus apparently came from space, that it isn't a "virus" in the true sense of the word.

Perhaps it's more like Sublime, from that "Here Comes Tomorrow" arc in Morrison's X-Men. Sentient spores or something like that.

Do we really know that the virus comes from Space? All we know ist that the Sentry Zombie (I think it's the Sentry) broke somehow through the dimensional barrier and crashed on the planet.

And apparently he did it more than once, because thousands of different realities were infected by the virus as it says in UFF#22.

And what about Thor? He is an asgardian God, a mystic being. In one Issue of the Exiles the blood of the Asgardian gods was used to get rid of some Cyber virus that had infected the whole population.

You might think he could fight off some Zombie virus.

Then there are Reed and Ben. I've read a comic where Reed fought against Wolverine and his adamantium claws couldn't penetrate his skin, so how much better are some teeth going to do? And Ben's skin is pure stone.
Roughneck said:
I'm sure if we pick away we could find reasons for most of them not to be Zombies.

Iron Man for one, what did he have his mask up and get bit in the face?

Hulk, they would have to have bitten Banner.

Wolverine - With his healing factor what it seems to be lately how did he not fight this infection off.

Wasp - How did she get bitten and infected if she was so small, woulnd't it have just killed her....

I suppose that is if the infection is apssed through bites like most Zombie tales.

I've never noticed them before, but I just discovered Ghostrider and Juggernaut.

How come those two are infected? I mean, GR is just a Skeleton on fire, and doesn't Juggernaut has that Gem of Cyttorak thing going for him? I thought he can't be injured because of that forcefield around his whole body.

stuff like this has been bothering the bad place out of me too. It doesn't make any sense

I heard some good things about this mini,but i dont know what this story is about and i think I heard somewhere that Thors hammer from that mini is going to tie in to the Return of Thor.I dont know if thats true or not

The story so far is that a hunting part of Zombies have over taken Magneto and devoured him. most of them headed back to the larger group in times square, but aparently in all universes Pym is a back stabber. he reveals that he has T'Challa in a cryo-stasis chamber, and is slowly cutting peices off of him. He is refusing to share this with anyone, which includes his "Wife".
When The was threatens to reveal his secret, he kills her by biting her in half.

Back at the main camp the hunting squad that devoured Magneto try to cover that fact up by it came out in the end. Iron-Man and Cap discuss the possible ramifications of their condition and possible plans for the future when they are visited by the Silver Surfer coming to announce that this Earth has been chosen by Galactus. Not one of them cares, they see the Surfer as one thing: Food.

apparently their condition drives them insane with hunger, causing them to turn on even those they care about most (Spidey ate MJ and Aunt May, the Avengers all did a feeding frenzy on Jarvis, though they say he practically asked them to). now they can't be killed except by destruction of their brains, but they also can't regenerate, as mentioned by Wolverine. However, after they feed, they have a period of lucidity where they can reflect on what they've done (A cruel joke in my opinion). They no longer feel pain, though they do feel when they are hurt.

They are the last beings on this planet, which is what has caused many of them to express the concern that they will soon turn on each other, despite the fact that they can't stand the taste of the Zombie flesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"