Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD 5x21 "The Force of Gravity" Discussion Thread

Ah yes, because the SHIELD people know what Thanos is up to and how important it is. Oh wait, they don't? Then I guess the reason they're not involved makes sense then :up:

What the SHIELD people know and what the audience know are 2 different things. You cannot hold the SHIELD people accountable for something they don't know.

You can when it's their job to know these things. It's what they do. If a giant spaceship can show up in NY, be all over the news, and they know less than anyone else, even while they already have a mission, then maybe they shouldn't call themselves SHIELD anymore. Mack was just standing there watching the TV. If he's got time to do that, he's got time to hit the "spy network" or whatever and find out WTF is going on- even if they can't do anything about it. It goes more to their skills to know, demonstrate that they have access to a bigger picture, even if they have to compartmentalize and let someone else handle it. I want a SHIELD that is fully aware and focuses on what they can do, not one that's just as clueless as everyone else and just reacting to what's in front of them.

What if Yo-Yo was conditioned to say to let Coulson die in order to ensure they dose Talbot and thus creating tons of gravitonium when he goes into overload, cracks the earth and then explodes into a big mass of gravitonium.

Whoa nice theory.

In regards to the knowledge of NY discussion SHIELD is much weakened compared to where they were even after Sokovia let alone pre-Winter Soldier. Their ability to monitor and respond is literally down to Mac watching news feeds and whatever motley band happens to be aboard the Zephyr at the time. Given that they were busy trying not to get crushed like a beer can I don't think they had the resources to tackle anything else.

Resources? No. But, we saw in the 100th episode a quinjet showing up with a bunch of other agents. And in the background even now there are shield agents aplenty, to indicate that they're up and running again. I personally don't need them actively doing anything about Thanos. They can't. I totally agree that they have their hands full. It's the lack of showing their competence and allowing us in the audience to see that they have the means to be aware of other dangers, and recognize that they can't do anything about it and have to focus on their problem, rather than show them being just as in the dark as anyone else. Because they aren't just anyone else. That's all.

A bit like, in Winter Soldier Steve asks Sam where the last Falcon pack is and he mentions it's on some base in some secured safe with 4 feet thick walls or whatever and Steve looks at Natasha and she gives a nod/shrug. That was them acknowledging that Nat has the skills to get it, even if they didn't bother with a whole sequence showing the heist.

So I'd rather Coulson or one of the others say a thing about Wakanda, or what the Avengers are up against, and Phil says something to the effect of, "That's their fight. If we don't focus on this, it won't matter if they win or not..." etc. "We each have our own part," blah blah blah. Something more like that. Acknowledge what's really happening, then just move on.

You can when it's their job to know these things. It's what they do. If a giant spaceship can show up in NY, be all over the news, and they know less than anyone else, even while they already have a mission, then maybe they shouldn't call themselves SHIELD anymore. Mack was just standing there watching the TV. If he's got time to do that, he's got time to hit the "spy network" or whatever and find out WTF is going on- even if they can't do anything about it. It goes more to their skills to know, demonstrate that they have access to a bigger picture, even if they have to compartmentalize and let someone else handle it. I want a SHIELD that is fully aware and focuses on what they can do, not one that's just as clueless as everyone else and just reacting to what's in front of them.

Until Banner dropped down to Earth, no one on Earth even knew who Thanos was. So you expect them to anticipate the specific threat of an alien NO ONE on Earth knew existed? You expect too much, I am sorry.

I never said anything about anticipate.

Still given their limited resources while dealing with a known extinction level event. They should take no more time on the Thanos problem than an Infantryman on June 6,1944 about to attack in Italy cared about the Normandy landings. When the Confederacy starts to mention Thanos only then do they know to try to find out more about the concurrent threat

My only issue with it was when the alien attack on NYC was mentioned to Daisy while she was busying herself looking for a cure for Coulson, and she just brushed it off. At the very least she should have suspected that it might have had something to do with the aliens that were currently threatening an attack. I do understand that the team missed the initial attack...and this episode is likely placed in between the NYC and Wakanda attacks...so, the reasonable thing to do would be to try to stop the current threat. It does seem like someone would wonder out loud about any possible connections...or say something like "Iron Man was seen in NY...the Avengers are taking care of any further alien threats...we need to stop the world from breaking into bits."

My only issue with it was when the alien attack on NYC was mentioned to Daisy while she was busying herself looking for a cure for Coulson, and she just brushed it off. At the very least she should have suspected that it might have had something to do with the aliens that were currently threatening an attack. I do understand that the team missed the initial attack...and this episode is likely placed in between the NYC and Wakanda attacks...so, the reasonable thing to do would be to try to stop the current threat. It does seem like someone would wonder out loud about any possible connections...or say something like "Iron Man was seen in NY...the Avengers are taking care of any further alien threats...we need to stop the world from breaking into bits."

With all due respect, I think we're nitpicking alot here. SHIELD's main story has enough forward momentum that there really isn't time to stop and deal with another movies/show's plot.

IMO, this is the same argument as "Why don't the Defenders show up in the movies?".

Yes...I'm aware that the team right now is going at a breakneck pace trying to save the world. My point is...if aliens are about to attack...and then aliens attack...it is reasonable to think that may the two are connected (even if they arent). I'm not saying that they should go to NY or anything like that.

They are clearly monitoring what is happening in the movies. It's kind of odd that Daisy was dealing with the fact that aliens were about to attack...aliens did attack...and she brushed it off like it was nothing (keep in mind that she then went to dig up a grave...so she had some time to think). WE know that the two events aren't connected...but she shouldnt have.

I don't think it's nitpicking at all. I understand that they can't go running off to NYC or Wakanda or anything like that. But it's a wasted opportunity to demonstrate their resourcefulness as agents just to show them knowing more about what's going on, even if they are focused on their part of the fight: The Confederacy and Talbot. Agents compartmentalize all the time. But they're still are aware of a bigger picture. At least agents on Coulson & May's level. But a complete lack of even being concerned? That is odd, and it sticks out for me too.

Edit: but I think the decision to move up the premiere of IW screwed them up. I think they weren't really going to mention anything that was going on in IW at all originally but after the move had to shove in some acknowledgment of what was happening elsewhere.

Last edited:
I don't think it's nitpicking at all. I understand that they can't go running off to NYC or Wakanda or anything like that. But it's a wasted opportunity to demonstrate their resourcefulness as agents just to show them knowing more about what's going on, even if they are focused on their part of the fight: The Confederacy and Talbot. Agents compartmentalize all the time. But they're still are aware of a bigger picture. At least agents on Coulson & May's level. But a complete lack of even being concerned? That is odd, and it sticks out for me too.

Edit: but I think the decision to move up the premiere of IW screwed them up. I think they weren't really going to mention anything that was going on in IW at all originally but after the move had to shove in some acknowledgment of what was happening elsewhere.

That doesn't make much sense. The show and the movie would have overlapped either way, what difference would one week make? If anything SHIELD's schedule was probably deliberately altered to sync back up with the movie. Besides, it's not like you can change the plot on the fly like that so late in the game even if you wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"