Mask Of The Phantasm Appreciation Thread

I watched it again last night, at the end when Bruce and Alfred are talking, I got a big shock wave and loads of memorys from when i was a kid, I remembered watching it nearly every Christmas, this movie could actually be better than Begins, I mean Begins is a brillent movie, but MOTP is pretty close to perfect, Although i still think it should of been abit longer than 1:15, but every second of it is brillent.

I liked MOTP but I really wish it was animated by the same company that did the later seasons of BTAS.

Batman 89

Batman Returns

Batman MOTP

Batman Begins

Batman Forever

Batman And Robin

I liked MOTP but I really wish it was animated by the same company that did the later seasons of BTAS.
It was, i hated TNBA art, im so glad it was kept as TAS art.

Well how could they not. MOTP came out before the new adventures of Batman.

It was written by 4 people i think but, i know Dini was one of them, again to anyone who hasnt seen it, you really must at some point.

On Another note, did anyone notice how great the score was for MOTP, Almost every scene is fantastic, its up there with Elfmans, infact id say its more emotional than Elfmans, but still Elfmans theme is THE Batman theme.

To this day it surprises me how they got away with making Phantasm. It may have been marketed mainly to children, but there is no way a child could appreciate it all, or understand all the themes running through it.

To this day it surprises me how they got away with making Phantasm. It may have been marketed mainly to children, but there is no way a child could appreciate it all, or understand all the themes running through it.

True, but it had action, fights, a scary villain in a mask, the Joker etc.

Kids would have lapped it up, anyway.

Things marketed for children but written for all ages are always winners. :up:

And I always loved the climax battle between Joker and Batman in that--I think that's my favorite fight of any incarnation (with Killing Joke following close behind)

Wish they'd have more time on it to spruce up the animation, though.

True, but it had action, fights, a scary villain in a mask, the Joker etc.

Kids would have lapped it up, anyway.

Did they though? I don't think it's especially popular with kids. Certainly I found it boring when I was 11.

Did they though? I don't think it's especially popular with kids. Certainly I found it boring when I was 11.
Ive always loved it since i was like 6 or 7 i think, maybe a year or two older, im not sure. I know i didnt really get the full plot or understand why the Joker was there but i still loved it.

Thanks for making this thread, Rockbottom. A few months back I had a change of heart after watching MOTP after so long, and decided it has to be the best Batman movie. There's no argument against that fact. Even though it is animated and not as long as any of the live-action movies, it just manages to portray Batman the correct way.

yyygg.jpg

kjklj.jpg

khkh.jpg

jkhhh.jpg

nnjn.jpg

9999.jpg

5y45.jpg

The Batman might suck but I still dont know how id feel about TAS returning. Sometimes its just better to leave great things alone, I wasnt a fan of TNBA, im glad they only made 24 episodes of those.

I entered this forum for the first time in a while with the intent of making a similar thread, but Rockbottom beat me to it. My question is:

When are we gettin' a Special Edition of this sucker?

I'm talking about a complete digital clean-up, color correction, restoration of the shots removed for the home video release (like that great 'crane shot' of Phantasm stalking Sol behind the cars in the parking building), commentary, interviews, cast retrospective, and -- most importantly -- a tribute to the great Shirley Walker. She composed the music you're all raving about, not to mention did the same for all the DCAU shows. Sadly, she died suddenly last year.

By the way, I'll answer my own question:

Probably never. :csad:

-- END!

I LOVE this movie.
It outranks any other Batman flick and that includes Begins (which is in second place btw). I always said that what TAS needs to be even more perfect is a tad more mature theme. And here it is with explosions, corpses and blood. It has so many spectacular scenes, and so great lines.
And the last scene, where The Joker is laughing uncontrolably amids the flaming theme park? Gives me the chills every time.

Indeed, Mark Hamill was perfect for that role, better than Jack imo.

Voice acting and real acting are two completely different things.
Like romancing a fat chick and french reneissance.

I agree with you here. If you watch the special features on the TAS DVD's, on one of them Hamill says that int he studio he would be the only one that would stand up and be the only one who did all the actions of the character too, so who knows if they were good or not...

So... I would also really go for a SE DVD. I would even buy it.
Oh yeah, I like this movie that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"