McDonald's worker returns check for 185K

Yeah, not even those shady check cashing spots would touch that one. Anyplace else is acting for ID and possibly, further validation. Either say **** it and leave it alone or return it and hope for a little reward action. Trying to cash that thing is practically asking for a pair of handcuffs to be slapped on.

"I have your check for 185k. If you want to see it again, leave $5,000 in small, umarked bills in locker 749 at the train station and leave the key to said locker with the concierge at the Grand Hotel..."

jag

47 years old, on food stamps and taking the bus to his job at McDonalds?

Grim. :csad:

And all they gave him was fifty bones. What a *****.

And all they gave him was fifty bones. What a *****.

I agree. 200 grand is a lot of money to be returning to someone (then again, if someone loses a check for 185 thousand dollars, they probably don't need it much to begin with). He should've been given a much bigger reward. And the rich wonder why we hate them :cmad:

"Oh, he's already on welfare, he's just going to spend it on crack and booze. Why should I give him more?" :o I know that's what the person was thinking. I already know it.

He wasn't entitled to any reward, guys... :whatever:

He wasn't entitled to any reward, guys... :whatever:

He also didn't have to go out of his way to give it back. He could've just threw it back on the ground and allowed someone else to take it and try and cash it. He could've used it as scrap paper as he originally intended and then threw it away. He did a good deed and deserved a reward.

The movie "Screwed" comes to mind.

He wasn't entitled to any reward, guys...
Those are my thoughts.

I mean, it's very considerate that this guy would go out of his way to return the check, but is there really any damage he could have done here to inspire some extreme gratitude? It's not a check for $1,000 made out to 'Cash'. It's for $185,000. What's he going to do? If he throws it away, one of the parties to the check is going to notice at some point (I'd imagine fairly soon), a stop payment gets made and a new check written; maybe a late fee ensues and/or some initial panic, but not really a big deal.

Noting how much it's for, I seriously doubt anyone who's not supposed to is able to get money out of that thing, so unless I'm missing something in the way of six-figure check fraud (which is possible), it's basically just a trinket with a big number on it, that anyone with a modicum of sense realizes turns into a ticket to jail if they try to profit from it. If I returned an otherwise worthless piece of paper and got $50 out of it, I'd be pretty content. Besides, it was only the landlord's niece. Who's to say the landlord doesn't give the guy something more substantial later on? ...not that he's under any obligation to.

At least give the guy a life time supply of big macs. Honesty in this day and age is a rarity. That is what deserves a reward.

At least give the guy a life time supply of big macs. Honesty in this day and age is a rarity. That is what deserves a reward.
You consider that a reward? :confused: :o

Debatable.

That brings about the question, how much is it worth to try and stave off high blood pressure, arteriosclerosis and a host of other debilitating goodies. What am I bid?

Ehh, skip it. The guy's 47 and he works at McDonald's. He's probably got a foot in the grave as is. :(

I think it stems from the fact that the owner of the checking account can write a ****ing check for 185 large, and all they can spare is 50 dollars?

I think it stems from the fact that the owner of the checking account can write a ****ing check for 185 large, and all they can spare is 50 dollars?

Exactly. I mean, hell...the fact that she can afford to lose 185 grand but not give more than 50 dollars is amazing.

I mean if someone found my paycheck on the ground they'd get 100 bucks from me, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"