MCU character screentime discussion - Who will be the first to pass Stark?

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
Here's a graph I made of relative screen time of different MCU characters. Unless I missed someone, this is everyone who had over 30 minutes of screentime from Iron Man until Endgame.

Capture.jpg

So here's the question, Iron Man is at 358 minutes (or just about 6 hours) Cap is pretty far below that. Thor stands a decent chance of passing Cap in Guardians 3. But who will be the first to pass Iron Man?

The Disney+ shows may see Hawkeye, Bucky, Falcon, Wanda, Vision, or Loki pass him first. But as I haven't counted the Netflix or ABC shows in this graph, I'll focus on the films.

My money is on either Spider-Man (who will be fourth on this list in just over a month) or Captain Marvel (who will probably be in many cosmic and team-up films over the next several years).

Source: MCU Movies Screen Time Breakdown - IMDb

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd say probably Thor. Hemsworth has a huge head start and he seems content to hang around the MCU forever, so I don't see him disappearing anytime soon. He may not get another movie of his own, but that's exactly why he's more likely to appear in more movies in general, whereas Spidey and Carol I would say are less likely to have significant guest starring roles in other people's movies because they already have their own films.

Not counting the shows, then Thor. He's already third by quite a margin and will likely be around for at least a few more appearances.

If the new TV shows count then probably Loki, if not then Thor. Either way a Son of Odin takes the crown from Stark.

In the long term though my bet's on Spider-Man if they can hang onto the rights and have him grow up on screen.

Iron Man is at 358 minutes (or just about 3 hours)

Almost 6 hours. I wouldn't rule out a cameo flashback in a future film to push him over that line.

Last edited:
Thor, especially if we see Thor 4 (which I think we will).

If the new TV shows count then probably Loki, if not then Thor. Either way a Son of Odin takes the crown from Stark.

In the long term though my bet's on Spider-Man if they can hang onto the rights and have him grow up on screen.

Almost 6 hours. I wouldn't rule out a cameo flashback in a future film to push him over that line.

Yeah, long term - if nothing gets in the way, knock on wood - I expect Tom Holland to leave RDJ's screentime/appearances in the dust. Probably set a record that could stand for decades.

I know this is off topic but with a Black Widow and 2 more Spider-Man movies and assuming Thor appearing in GOTG3, in a few years it'll be:

1. Iron Man
2. Thor
3. Cap
4. Spider-Man
5. Black Widow

Don't rule out T'Challa having alot more to do than just BP and Avengers appearances

Here's a graph I made of relative screen time of different MCU characters. Unless I missed someone, this is everyone who had over 30 minutes of screentime from Iron Man until Endgame.

Capture.jpg

So here's the question, Iron Man is at 358 minutes (or just about 6 hours) Cap is pretty far below that. Thor stands a decent chance of passing Cap in Guardians 3. But who will be the first to pass Iron Man?

The Disney+ shows may see Hawkeye, Bucky, Falcon, Wanda, Vision, or Loki pass him first. But as I haven't counted the Netflix or ABC shows in this graph, I'll focus on the films.

My money is on either Spider-Man (who will be fourth on this list in just over a month) or Captain Marvel (who will probably be in many cosmic and team-up films over the next several years).

Source: MCU Movies Screen Time Breakdown - IMDb

The Disney+ shows don't count. You cannot compare movies with TV shows. Even so, of you include them, there's still no way that Falcon, Bucky, and Scarlet Witch (Vision may not even be Vision for alot of the show) can catch up to Iron Man or even Cap and Thor, even if you cheat by including their shows, they would have to be in almost every scene to even hope to catch up.

Last edited:
The Disney+ shows aren't movies, but they also aren't really TV either anymore than the Netflix shows were. They may be composed of multiple episodes extending to much further length than a movie, but they also aren't designed to be released and viewed spread over months of time, with commercial interruptions, and with each individual episode scripted and shot gradually. If anything, I'd say they are closer to movies than TV, as the only feature to such shows that is closer in structure to TV is "lack of theatrical release". And, to put it bluntly? Theatrical release is not some magical bequest that grants distinct structure to a cinematic creation.

The Disney+ shows don't count. You cannot compare movies with TV shows. Even so, of you include them, there's still no way that Falcon, Bucky, and Scarlet Witch (Vision may not even be Vision for alot of the show) can catch up to Iron Man or even Cap and Thor, even if you cheat by including their shows, they would have to be in almost every scene to even hope to catch up.

The Disney+ shows aren't movies, but they also aren't really TV either anymore than the Netflix shows were. They may be composed of multiple episodes extending to much further length than a movie, but they also aren't designed to be released and viewed spread over months of time, with commercial interruptions, and with each individual episode scripted and shot gradually. If anything, I'd say they are closer to movies than TV, as the only feature to such shows that is closer in structure to TV is "lack of theatrical release". And, to put it bluntly? Theatrical release is not some magical bequest that grants distinct structure to a cinematic creation.

Honestly see I see where both of you are coming from. My one lament is that due to our current cultural norms, we won't see the amount of (disney+) screentime of our current beloved heroes (Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Peter Parker, Thor) but instead have to settle for the B heroes and in some cases villains (Falcon, Loki, Winter Soldier, etc).

I want to see a 13 episode series about Steve Rogers and Spider-Man. WHEN WILL WE GET THAT DISNEY?!

okay, i'll calm down.

I get the feeling that it will be Spider-Man since, along with his connection to Iron Man, he’s arguably the most popular Marvel character alongside Wolverine.

I get the feeling that it will be Spider-Man since, along with his connection to Iron Man, he’s arguably the most popular Marvel character alongside Wolverine.

I would agree, save for the joint custody problem. That is going to restrict the ability of Spider-man to really show up everywhere in the necessary scale.

Im not counting the tv shows so gonna go for who I thinks the most likely from the movies.

1st. Thor - Closest to RDJ that's still around with renewed interest in the character after Ragnarok, a potential appearance in GOTG3 and rumours of Thor 4 it seems like he at the very least will have ample screen time left.

2nd. Spider-Man - He's going to get a big boost from Far From Home and then you will have his third movie in a few years time which will add to it again. Plus potential new Avengers projects which Peter will likely still be around for.

3rd. Dr Strange - Bit out of left field this one but im expecting both him and Black Panther to take bigger roles now that RDJ & Evans have retired (and since Strange is already ahead of him you'd fancy him to stay there) You will also inevitably have his sequel and potentially even a third film down the line as well as an appearance in the latest Avengers movie.

I want to see a 13 episode series about Steve Rogers and Spider-Man. WHEN WILL WE GET THAT DISNEY?!

okay, i'll calm down.

I want the "Loki" show to be about Loki running around space and time with the tesseract, trying to evade a pursuing Steve Rogers who is trying to capture him and bring him and the tessaract back to the moment in Endgame NYC '12 and restore the proper timeline

I want the "Loki" show to be about Loki running around space and time with the tesseract, trying to evade a pursuing Steve Rogers who is trying to capture him and bring him and the tessaract back to the moment in Endgame NYC '12 and restore the proper timeline

This would be so interesting. Especially if the Captain America character was just like, a shadowed T-1000 terminator-vibe (i.e. so they dont have to cast Chris Evans) and he just keeps coming! :eek:

I would love if that was the premise of the Loki show. Any excuse for more Cap works for me :up:

A pissed off Cap with Mjolnir. LOL.

Capture.jpg

So, I updated the graph since FFH, therefore updated Spidey/Fury's places on the graph. Counting Fury's time even though ahem... you know. Because at this point who the heck knows which movies Fury was even Nick Fury? He's THE spy.

...and also added the Wasp (who I am ashamed to say I forgot on the original graph)

Remember, this is only characters who have surpassed 30 minutes (a few others are close, Happy, Ned, Vision) but as far as I can tell no one else is over 30 minutes.

EDIT: Jane is another one I forgot (who is well over 45 minutes). I will be adding her and also realized she will get a huge boost shortly :D

Not counting the shows, then Thor. He's already third by quite a margin and will likely be around for at least a few more appearances.

Well, with Love and Thunder in the works its almost certainly going to be Thor - and if Hemsworth and the MCU are smart he'll show up in a couple of other character's movies either as an extended cameo or a supporting character ( there's obviously huge potential for GOTG vol 3, but I mean, imagine a Thor/Dr Strange/Captain Marvel team up movie...can you say "EPIC!") but also if Love and Thunder is as enjoyable (and successful as Ragnarok) then there's no reason that Thor 5 isn't a possibility.

I know the current characterisation of Thor rubs a lot of Thor fans the wrong way, but by making him a little bit silly he becomes a very likeable and relatable character, which is something I never found him to be in the comics - IMO he was constantly upstaged by his less powerful but more interesting supporting cast. MCU Thor (since Ragnarok) has been handled really well, and I'm looking forward to him making many more appearances.

Thor ain't going to pass Tony. According to the graph he is about 150 minutes behind Tony currently, and in Thor 4 we can expect probably somewhere around 50 to 70 minutes of screen time for him in that movie. If he is still in the third Guardians movie, he won't get that type of screen time. He's more likely going to get about 30 minutes. So he's going to fall short unless they throw him in something else, and even if they do he has to make up about 50 minutes of screen time or somewhere in that ballpark. He ain't passing Tony

Right. It comes down to thor 5 really...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"