Who will be the face of the MCU In Phase 4?

I don't see the Avengers characters taking the backseat to the X-Men or FF anytime soon.
Most of the flagship Avengers won't even be around when they come which will be within the next 4 years. Wouldn't be surprised of the X-Men end up taking the Avengers role and the F4 take over the Guardians role. Spidey may or may not be around. So the "Big four" could end up looking like: Black Panther, Captain Marvel, X-Men and the F4

Most of the flagship Avengers won't even be around when they come which will be within the next 4 years.

They've got a billion dollar grosser in the BP films and more modest but still big hits in Spider-Man, Ant-Man & The Wasp and Doctor Strange. Add to it the probable success of Captain Marvel and there's your New Avengers right there.

The MCU is going to be really "out there" from after Avengers: Endgame. It only makes sense that Captain Marvel will lead the charge.

Now the interesting things to ask would be... Will we have the same engagement with these new characters as we had with the old ones? Will we be invested as much? For those that really liked and where fans of Cap, Iron Man or Thor... will they find relatable heroes that could actually successfully replace the original team.

Sure i guess several aspects of the original MCU heroes may be found in the different new characters. But will the investment be the same? They certainly aren't the same characters. There's only 1 Iron Man, 1 Cap, 1 Thor...

A lot of us learned to love and care for these original MCU characters so that same process might happen for the new line up. Or it just might not... it might not be the same thing and people feel alienated from the new teams/characters... There's simply some characters that people don't care much about, some are preferred and those make a lot of movies worthwhile.

On the other hand some people are on board and will always be on board with the MCU, everything and every character will be welcomed to the mix. Not that they will love everything but they would be open for most stuff...

4yl56d5j92n11.jpg

Honestly, I am wondering if Captain Marvel may be received a bit lukewarm if too on the nose with the whole representation aspect and HER thing going on. Some of the snarkiness people been unloading on it online right after 2nd trailer in some circles (thinking youtube channels) could spread or be contained depending on how it's marketed and portrayed in the media as release gets closer. Critics have preconceived notions sometimes based off of this so will see what happens I suppose...

Anyway, I don't think there will be 1 face.

I wish it was spidey, but it'll be carol. And it makes sense with all things taken into consideration, like sony still owning the rights.

Nah, it'll be T'Challa all the way
from the second he showed up in Civil War, you had a whole new subset of fans dying to see a BP movie, and he's now basically regarded as a actual King, and the whole movie is a cultural milestone
And while I'm hopeful Capt Marvel will get a similar reception, it's currently dealing with wayyyy more hate than BP ever got

Last edited:
I'm gonna change my vote and heres why

It will be interesting to see if BP, Carol and Strange to some extent can live up to being the next showcase characters for the MCU. If I had to put money on it, I'd actually say Strange, because idk if T'Challa or Carol will ever come close to matching the charisma and charm of an RDJ or even Chris Evans.

Sure its a small sample size we've gotten with BP and Carol's movie isn't even out yet, but I could see Strange running away with the whole thing just because Cumberbatch is just that good.

Captain Marvel, but for COMPLETELY different reasons than RDJ or even Evans were the face. RDJ was both forerunner and hypermagnetic in and out of character, so much so that he intentionally blurred these lines. Evans got face time just for standing toe to toe with RDJ's Stark, honestly.

Captain Marvel is just a marketing push from an agenda - a fine agenda imho, but it's not organic. The same way she was pushed to be the lead female in comics a few years ago. I think the most magnetic personality in five years time will be someone from the X-Men films, probably the new Wolverine, but I think Captain Marvel will still get the push, for good or ill.

Now, I could be wrong and Brie Larson could absolutely BLOW ME AWAY, but I think she'll be at the same level of pretty good like BP, Strange and Spidey, who probably should get the push except for Sony has too much power to mess that up, so nah.

Plans change. These things should be organic and ultimately will be I feel. I'm definitely not sold on the Captain Marvel 'agenda' at this point. The actress has a lot to do with it. We'll see how audiences react, but I feel that Marvel is getting way ahead of themselves with this push. Understandable, that's what they've always done to great effect. This time feels different though.

If we use the model that Stark is MCU's #1 and Cap is MCU's #2, I think T'Challa will be #1 and Carol #2. I think the plan was for Carol to adopt that spot, but Black Panther's success I feel has changed that. Money talks, and consumers in no uncertain terms told Marvel they want more T'Challa.

I think it'll depend on how well Captain Marvel is received by fans. If well, then it'll be her, if poorly, then it'll likely fall to Black Panther or Spider-Man. I'd like to think I'm wrong, but I don't see them doing a whole lot more with Thor (at least as far as the Avengers go); from this point forward he's seemingly going to be underpowered compared to Carol.

Doctor Strange lacks presence. I don't know why, but the character seems somewhat inclusive (like an introvert maybe?); I think he'll play his part both within his own films, and within the occasional future Avenger films (depending on the threat) but I don't see him at the forefront. I don't think they'd be able to suddenly introduce someone new to take over the mantle either, not at this point. It's going to have to be a character that's established by the time Endgame ends, and I don't think a character introduced in Endgame is going to be able to pull that off.

If T'Challa and Carol are Stark and Rogers, then I see Doctor Strange as Thor in this equation. Spider-Man I think will always be important, but he cannot be the main guy. He's too low level as far as what type of adventures he has, and there is Sony to consider still in the equation.

I think it'll depend on how well Captain Marvel is received by fans. If well, then it'll be her, if poorly, then it'll likely fall to Black Panther or Spider-Man. I'd like to think I'm wrong, but I don't see them doing a whole lot more with Thor (at least as far as the Avengers go); from this point forward he's seemingly going to be underpowered compared to Carol.

Doctor Strange lacks presence. I don't know why, but the character seems somewhat reclusive (like an introvert maybe?); I think he'll play his part both within his own films, and within the occasional future Avenger films (depending on the threat) but I don't see him at the forefront. I don't think they'd be able to suddenly introduce someone new to take over the mantle either, not at this point. It's going to have to be a character that's established by the time Endgame ends, and I don't think a character introduced in Endgame is going to be able to pull that off.
Well, they could've taken Thor to other Norse mythological venues, but he lost everyone & everything that tie into his lore
before even getting to the infinity war aftermath. Heck, you could replace him with BRBill at this stage in life.

If Cap Marvel is recieved poorly, Doc Strange is most certainly rising to the Iron Man occasion given his character just works in others' movies
and even as a recluse, having him argue or dismiss people deflty is obviously part of the characteristic appeal.

2k, what is your avvy from?

it is extraordinarily disturbing

Ahh gotcha, never caught that one...is that the dude from Charmed??

If we use the model that Stark is MCU's #1 and Cap is MCU's #2, I think T'Challa will be #1 and Carol #2. I think the plan was for Carol to adopt that spot, but Black Panther's success I feel has changed that. Money talks, and consumers in no uncertain terms told Marvel they want more T'Challa.

There are 1.3 billion reasons why it is going to be T'Challa.

I feel it's more then just box office, it's also story driven from an MCU perspective. If we look at it like that then the X-Men and related properties will likely be the driving force of the MCU the next decade. The other characters will be big as well, but from everything the Fox licences (including FF) can offer immediately, I don't think the shadow the mutants cast can or will be denied in terms of importance.

That being said the universe is so big now the 'face' will likely be a matter of diverse opinion. As it should be at this stage.

Last edited:
Well, they could've taken Thor to other Norse mythological venues, but he lost everyone & everything that tie into his lore before even getting to the infinity war aftermath. Heck, you could replace him with BRBill at this stage in life.
There's still a lot they can do with Thor; just because Asgard was wiped off the map, it doesn't mean there can't be more Norse mythology to follow up on. Sif was absent, they could always introduce Balder or Beta Bill into a Thor film (Sif and Balder could have been off world at the time in a different realm; it's not as if Hela would have had the gates to Asgard open).

If Cap Marvel is recieved poorly, Doc Strange is most certainly rising to the Iron Man occasion given his character just works in others' movies and even as a recluse, having him argue or dismiss people deflty is obviously part of the characteristic appeal.
As well received as the good Doctor was, I just can't see him replacing Stark. In truth, nobody can replace Stark, but the one with the most potential to do so is T'Challa & Shuri in terms of funding and techno stuff.

There are 1.3 billion reasons why it is going to be T'Challa.
Neither Wonder Woman, nor Aquaman are the face of the DCEU.

I see no one has mentioned "Karen" the Eternal yet. I wonder why. Well you know what, she's the one who gets my vote.

There's still a lot they can do with Thor; just because Asgard was wiped off the map, it doesn't mean there can't be more Norse mythology to follow up on. Sif was absent, they could always introduce Balder or Beta Bill into a Thor film (Sif and Balder could have been off world at the time in a different realm; it's not as if Hela would have had the gates to Asgard open).

As well received as the good Doctor was, I just can't see him replacing Stark. In truth, nobody can replace Stark, but the one with the most potential to do so is T'Challa & Shuri in terms of funding and techno stuff.
Not just Asgard given the implication of that Dwarf realm. So, that's 2 realms and their people descimated directly shown/mentioned. Valkyrie is the last of her kind.
The dark elves are endangered. The Frost Giant homeworld was already becoming inhabitable.
It's like every major Thor appearance has to involve a realm/race being worse off.

T'Challa doesn't have the most potential personality-wise to replace Stark.
Doc Strange is Stark's magical equivalent and they got the fanboy/fangirl heart throb to play him.

Unless we're talking actors with egos, I don't understand why one character or the other needs to be designated the face of the franchise.

Reactions: CJ
We're well past the point of there being any "One Face" of the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"