Far From Home MCU Spider-Man is very, very inaccurate

I'm surprisingly indifferent either way it goes. The corporate politics is what I find the most interesting about this whole situation.

I mentioned in another thread, but my favorite depiction of Peter Parker on film is Spider-Verse. They did something with that character that I found to be quite interesting, and Jake Johnson was comedy gold.

I'm surprisingly indifferent either way it goes. The corporate politics is what I find the most interesting about this whole situation.

I'd say my feelings are also indifferent to the situation. I could care less about the MCU version and frankly if Sony ends up doing their own thing again, it will probably be an Arad, Venom infused, creative abomination.

Thankfully there's other iterations of Spider-Man that are wholly satisfying and incredibly enjoyable that are currently being produced. Heck, even the comics are finally good again.

'Spider-Man' Standoff: Why Sony Thinks It Doesn't Need "Kevin's Playbook" Anymore

Crazy that Kevin Feige didn’t receive a producers fee from Sony for all his work in both Spidey films.

Did Sony really expect they could give Feige more work and still expect him to not get a fee after he produced two successful Spidey films for them?

To quote a friend: “Sony is the friend who’s been mooching off your Netflix password, and loses their mind when your suggest they pay for some of the monthly fee.”

11B4384D-83A7-4811-966A-C1A245E42C4A.jpeg

Looks like everyone got their wish. 5 minutes of Uncle Ben and a White MJ! Let's go!!

I want a Mary Jane so white she's see-through. Or at the very least albino.

And to make up for the MCU ignoring poor old Unky Ben, the reboot Benjamin Parker should be murdered in the most horrifying manner possible, and his gruesome slaughter should be a constant cloud over both May and Peter. Both of whom should break down into crying jags and scream "Bennnnnnnn!" in anguish at regular intervals.

I'd say my feelings are also indifferent to the situation. I could care less about the MCU version and frankly if Sony ends up doing their own thing again, it will probably be an Arad, Venom infused, creative abomination.

Thankfully there's other iterations of Spider-Man that are wholly satisfying and incredibly enjoyable that are currently being produced. Heck, even the comics are finally good again.

I love about as many things about the MCU version as I loathe. In my ideal world, Spidey 3 keeps Holland and everything that works but "cleans up" what doesn't (the tech, "Mr. Stark", Happy on-call, etc.). Sony learns from their experience with Feige and their success with Spider-Verse, so they continue making good films.

That's in my ideal world. My Peter Tingle is telling me that's not exactly what's gonna happen. :oldrazz:

Sony never learns from anything. They’ve earned zero benefit of the doubt about their ability to run anything by themselves.

Ugh, I’m so mad about this. Yes, Spider-Verse was great due to writers and animators. Not Sony... and from the sound of it, Sony tried to stifle that film a couple of times.

And, Venom is pure shirt.

MCU Spider-Man might not be perfectly what fans want. But, by the pure foundation they made Spider-Man young, fun, and engaging/interesting. Three things Raimi never truly found all at once... and hasn’t even been an ounce of either of those since his second film.

I love about as many things about the MCU version as I loathe. In my ideal world, Spidey 3 keeps Holland and everything that works but "cleans up" what doesn't (the tech, "Mr. Stark", Happy on-call, etc.). Sony learns from their experience with Feige and their success with Spider-Verse, so they continue making good films.

That's in my ideal world. My Peter Tingle is telling me that's not exactly what's gonna happen. :oldrazz:

Well in hindsight that's exactly what I thought Disney was gonna do once they got a hold of Spider-Man--fix what was wrong and only keep the things that were good. Look how that turned out. And I have even less faith in Sony. Less as in zero.

Sony never learns from anything. They’ve earned zero benefit of the doubt about their ability to run anything by themselves.

Even with a great success like Into the Spider-verse, there's still that worry. The only reason it was good is because the creators were allowed to create. But there's always the worry that Sony is gonna Sony and get too many fingers in the pot and screw it up. So yeah, I agree...Sony hasn't earned a damn thing.

Ugh, I’m so mad about this. Yes, Spider-Verse was great due to writers and animators. Not Sony... and from the sound of it, Sony tried to stifle that film a couple of times.

And, Venom is pure ****.

MCU Spider-Man might not be perfectly what fans want. But, by the pure foundation they made Spider-Man young, fun, and engaging/interesting. Three things Raimi never truly found all at once... and hasn’t even been an ounce of either of those since his second film.
I wouldn't argue they made him particularly engaging/interesting.

And I wouldn't argue Raimi didn't get all 3 all at once.

Looks like everyone got their wish. 5 minutes of Uncle Ben and a White MJ! Let's go!!
We don't need MJ of any color from white to black. Mary Jane Watson is the character. White to black, it doesn't matter.

I'd prefer to showcase Ben's connection to Peter emotionally.

Maguire personality-wise is nothing like Peter Parker. Tom Holland in and of himself is a much better fit than Maguire was, whatever you think about the material around him.

I thought Maguire got enough of the core of the character, much more than Holland did, that being Spider-Man is a big burden for him, that he would prefer a normal life (and wants to have both) and gets frustrated that heroism causes or contributes to personal problems but feels more strongly that the responsibility of helping people with his powers is more important.

I wouldn't argue they made him particularly engaging/interesting.

And I wouldn't argue Raimi didn't get all 3 all at once.

Please tell me, when Tobey was ever young... let alone fun? Yes, the action was fun... but his Peter was never fun - outside of the small web training scenes.

He looked 28-32 when he was a "high school student".

Please tell me, when Tobey was ever young... let alone fun? Yes, the action was fun... but his Peter was never fun - outside of the small web training scenes.

Admittedly I didn't read the whole statement thorougly, before replying. But I think it holds mostly. Tobey wasn't. Peter was. I think there's more than a couple instances of Peter being fun SM1, even SM3, not so much SM2.

From the start of the film he was playing a high school senior in his last weeks of high school. I think the comic book character often was pretty somber and in film adaptations focusing on that was and is a good choice.

I disagree he looked that old, he definitely was and maybe looked older than even a high school senior but so do most high school characters in film and TV.

I can understand peoples frustrations with this, and why its not going over well, but am I the only one looking forward to not having Spider-Man tied down with other heroes?

I can understand peoples frustrations with this, and why its not going over well, but am I the only one looking forward to not having Spider-Man tied down with other heroes?

I'm not. One of Spidey's best traits is how well he works with others. His long time relationship with Johnny Storm is one of the best in comic book history, and Marvel Team Up is one of my all time favorite comic books. And his recent limited series where he joined Jean Grey's School as an ethics teacher was a hoot. Not having Spider-man "tied down" to classic characters with whom he has been teaming up with since the frikkin' sixties is awful news.

^^ I meant more as in having Tony Stark as his father figure.The MCU version would have been better for me if he had the classic established Spidey mythos along with him playing with other heroes. My biggest gripe, despite enjoying Holland, has been his continued reliance on Iron Man. Spider-Man being his own thing along with being with the other heroes is something everybody wants. Its the motivations and reliance on someone other than himself that has bothered me.

Welcome back mate :up:

Thanks. I haven't had much reason to be around but with the MCU Spidey finally being done, I should be around a bit more often.

Into The Spider-Verse gave me everything I wanted out of Peter Parker on the big screen anyway so I can't complain much.

^^ I meant more as in having Tony Stark as his father figure.The MCU version would have been better for me if he had the classic established Spidey mythos along with him playing with other heroes. My biggest gripe, despite enjoying Holland, has been his continued reliance on Iron Man. Spider-Man being his own thing along with being with the other heroes is something everybody wants. Its the motivations and reliance on someone other than himself that has bothered me.

I loved the team up of Holland and Downey onscreen, and felt the two worked really well together. The relationship was portrayed in a very realistic fashion, and it made the back to back death scenes in Infinity War and Endgame quite touching.

I know the mentor-mentee relationship fell flat for some, but I really enjoyed it. It felt like a less manipulative version of the IM-SM relationship from the comicbook Civil War, and reminiscent to Peter's relationships with Daredevil and Curt Connors. It's sad to see both of them go.

I thought Maguire got enough of the core of the character, much more than Holland did, that being Spider-Man is a big burden for him, that he would prefer a normal life (and wants to have both) and gets frustrated that heroism causes or contributes to personal problems but feels more strongly that the responsibility of helping people with his powers is more important.

Without trying to speak for Schlosser, I think what he meant was that Tobey's version didn't do a good job of portraying the personality aspects of Peter. The core characteristics is not exactly the same thing. His Peter was too much of a nerdy trope and didn't exude the level of confidence that Peter eventually grew into after becoming Spider-Man. But I agree that they did mostly a good job with the core.

Having Spider-Man interact with other heroes was something I was genuinely looking forward to once we learned of the deal between Marvel and Sony. The problem is, which I now have seen in your other post, is the way they decided to write Peter/Spider-Man into this already established continuity. They went too far into the mentor relationship and it hurt Pete's characterization, imo of course.

His Peter was too much of a nerdy trope
He got outclassed in that dept. by both Garfield & Holland. Those two are clearly more obsessed with being nerds. It's the meek introvert aspect that makes Maguire's so unique and thus awkwardly hysterical when Raimi is making him pull off the opposite.

A part of me really wants Sony to go through with yanking spider out of the MCU only to see them f*"# things up yet again and show the world how unequivocally guitared they are. They think because Venom did well they now have the balls to think they know better? They absolutely f"^&*$g do not! Venom was a piece of crap movie that inexplicably did well financially, into the spuder-verse was a cartoon, a great movie but a cartoon nonetheless where the parameters are very different to live action. Spider-Man 3 was trash, the Garfield movies were garbage and Morbius will be a financial and creative flop. People can bemoan the MCU Spidey for being too much of an Iron Man protege and the whole MY situation but at least it captures the spirit if who the character is force contemporary setting and doesn't bash over our heads Ben's death for a 3rd time like the barman movies love doing with Bruce's parents. MCU Spidey is an entertaining character and features in good movies. IF Spidey truly is out of the MCU I cantcwait to see how this spectacularly blows up in Sony's face. I don't know what those guitared assclowns are thinking. They already lost the Bond franchise and now for the 3rd time they're going to run Spidey into the ground. Congrats Sony...s"&t heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"