Far From Home MCU Spider-Man is very, very inaccurate

Yeah, I absolutely dig these movies, but the more I listen to reviews and analysis, I get more uneasy and disappointed.
I care for the MCU Spider-man films less and less as time goes on. Still better than those dreadful ASM movies, but yeah. This version wore out on me fast and I keep looking back on Raimis version the most. I miss it so much and I hope eventually we can have something that captures the spirit in a similar way again.

It's weird, after seeing Far From Home, I never had an urge to see it again. I even had more of an urge to see Homecoming again when I saw it, but now I'm like meh. I still think Holland and Keaton were were really good, and its just a shame with Hollands talent he couldn't get better material. Spider-Man is a backseat character in the MCU, and very much tied to Iron Mans hip. They're linked, and even if they branch out now, I can't unsee it.

I feel like I've gone over this so many times haha

MCU Spider-Man is great in certain ways and significantly not Spider-Man in other ways.

When I heard "doing a different take on Spider-Man", I thought it would be something like the IDW Ninja Turtles: the world and supporting cast look entirely different, but the core main character stays the same.

In some ways it's exactly that. I like the idea of a Flash who's classist and ***** on Peter for being poor. MJ being a politically-conscious minority is a good way to redo a feminist character of the 60s. And while I don't like their Aunt May, I think a younger livelier Aunt May could really work. I would love it if we learned Peter got his optimism and humor from Aunt May. I count Vulture and Mysterio as good reinventions too (although Mysterio was a lot closer to 616 than Vulture is).

The things I don't like about MCU Spider-Man seem to be the things established first in the other films. As much as I don't like the Iron Kid stuff, both films try to move Peter away from that. Sure, FFH doubled on the Iron Kid stuff from Homecoming...but Infinity War and Endgame quadrupled on it.

So the mystery to me is if the Spider-Man films really see him as 'Iron Kid', or if it's just a consequence of both films being reactionary to events from the MCU. The next film looks like will be a direct sequel to FFH; I'm curious to see how 'Iron Kid' he is (or isn't) by then.

Last edited:
I don’t like that Spider-Man isn’t quippy like he was earlier in civil war. He was making fun of caps shield and playing with falcon and Bucky and portrayed lots of confidence. Now he comes off as a naive child who can’t do anything without help. I also hate how they put that happy guy in the movie. Such an annoying character

Far From Home didn't feel like a Spider-Man film to me. and honestly, I can't help but feel that Spider-Man was just shoved in the MCU so he can play with the other heroes. Sure, he has his own solo movies, but its all relied on on a previous film in the MCU. That bothers me as well, and as I stated many times, it has to do with Peters connection to Tony. its just too damn much, and it's said that this version is starting to age not so well for me.

Far From Home didn't feel like a Spider-Man film to me. and honestly, I can't help but feel that Spider-Man was just shoved in the MCU so he can play with the other heroes. Sure, he has his own solo movies, but its all relied on on a previous film in the MCU. That bothers me as well, and as I stated many times, it has to do with Peters connection to Tony. its just too damn much, and it's said that this version is starting to age not so well for me.
Same for Captain Marvel too.

How the flying fork can a studio who prides its self on respecting the characters as they were in the comics and then do a 180 on their greatest character? I, frankly, cannot seriously take anyone's opinion thinking that MCU Spider-Man is the definitive take on the character above Raimi or Webb interpretation. Homecoming is an acceptable interpretation of the character because it starts near the beginning of his heroism. Far From Home, on the other hand, is basically the same film with worse qualities (worse villain, acting, visuals, comedy, motivations). It further repeats the same themes and story line from Homecoming. After 5 appearances in the MCU, shouldn't Spider-Man grow from Iron Man's shadow? It's like with every film Spider-Man gets worse and worse and degrades from a character's standpoint. CW and Homecoming Spider-Man are the best interpretation within the MCU. Raimi Spider-Man shirts on MCU Spider-Man in every forking way.

Thor: The Dark World >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spider-Man: Far From Home

Same for Captain Marvel too.

How the flying **** can a studio who prides its self on respecting the characters as they were in the comics and then do a 180 on their greatest character? I, frankly, cannot seriously take anyone's opinion thinking that MCU Spider-Man is the definitive take on the character above Raimi or Webb interpretation. Homecoming is an acceptable interpretation of the character because it starts near the beginning of his heroism. Far From Home, on the other hand, is basically the same film with worse qualities (worse villain, acting, visuals, comedy, motivations). It further repeats the same themes and story line from Homecoming. After 5 appearances in the MCU, shouldn't Spider-Man grow from Iron Man's shadow? It's like with every film Spider-Man gets worse and worse and degrades from a character's standpoint. CW and Homecoming Spider-Man are the best interpretation within the MCU. Raimi Spider-Man ****s on MCU Spider-Man in every ****ing way.

Thor: The Dark World >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spider-Man: Far From Home
Sadly, I feel the MCU crowd defend this version because its in the MCU, so in their eyes anything marvel does means its THE definitive version of the character when really it isnt. Raimis version by far is still the most accurate version of the character put to film. I see a lot of MCU fans say "he barely quipped", well that doesn't make the character who he is. The MCU version quips yet everythign else deviates from what I love about the character in his world. I've gone over many reasons why im not fond of the MCU Spider-Man so many times, but it just keeps bothering. The lack of respect to uncle Ben and other parts of the Spidey mythos is something I cant forget. And yet, people keep making excuses for it because "look! see?! he's with the avengers and he cracks jokes!!! aaahhh!"

Sadly, I feel the MCU crowd defend this version because its in the MCU, so in their eyes anything marvel does means its THE definitive version of the character when really it isnt. Raimis version by far is still the most accurate version of the character put to film. I see a lot of MCU fans say "he barely quipped", well that doesn't make the character who he is. The MCU version quips yet everythign else deviates from what I love about the character in his world. I've gone over many reasons why im not fond of the MCU Spider-Man so many times, but it just keeps bothering. The lack of respect to uncle Ben and other parts of the Spidey mythos is something I cant forget. And yet, people keep making excuses for it because "look! see?! he's with the avengers and he cracks jokes!!! aaahhh!"
Absolutely. The gibberish about MCU Spider-Man in the Superhero Civil War thread are nonsense. How could anyone even defend this interpretation, I'll never know.

Absolutely. The gibberish about MCU Spider-Man in the Superhero Civil War thread are nonsense. How could anyone even defend this interpretation, I'll never know.
Whereas anyone that I see saying that MJ in the Raimi films represents the character, or that Spider-Man ever acted like Spider-Man, I honestly can’t understand.

Such is the nature of interpretation.

I want to make it clear that I think Holland does a damn good job in the role, but can you imagine what he could have done with better material? At this point, hes just there. I don't look at this Spider-Man and say "wow he stands out so much".

I think part of the problem a lot of us including myself are rubbing up against is that, just like with a lot of things in the MCU, they’re taking a lot of time to put Peter where we want him to be and after 5 appearances some of us are growing tired anxious to see Peter be SPIDERMAN. The Spiderman ive always loved was cocky, funny, and confident and a badass in battle. This Spiderman is nowhere near that yet because he’s a kid and they are playing up the “he’s just a kid” aspect big time.

In Civil War, he was a scene stealer, he took down Falcon and Bucky without breaking a sweat and was cocky too. In his subsequent appearances he’s always completely overwhelmed by the situations he’s in. In Endgame, i liked the “instant kill” moment at first, but Spidey’s not doing anything. He’s letting a suit of armor do the work. How cool would it have been to get a quick 10 second moment of him webbing up and kicking a bunch of Thanos’ goons asses while making fun of the way they look or something? Thats what Spidey would do. But because he’s “just a kid” they feel its more realistic to make him overwhelmed and in over his head rather than cocky, confident, quippy and badass. I understand that notion, but if I’m watching a big superhero mashup throwdown featuring Spiderman I wanna see the webhead be a showstealer like Civil War.

I dunno, just my two thoughts.

I actually do agree with that in part. Overall, I’ve really enjoyed all the MCU Spidey films/appearances, but I would like to see him grow beyond the overwhelmed kid attitude at times. It does work, but I also would like some more of the standard Spidey snark. I still vastly prefer it over previous incarnations, but it’s not perfect for me either. I’m actually quite interested to see how the end of FFH will change Spidey going forward and how he has to grow and deal with the new challenges implemented by what happened.

I care for the MCU Spider-man films less and less as time goes on. Still better than those dreadful ASM movies, but yeah. This version wore out on me fast and I keep looking back on Raimis version the most. I miss it so much and I hope eventually we can have something that captures the spirit in a similar way again.

It's weird, after seeing Far From Home, I never had an urge to see it again. I even had more of an urge to see Homecoming again when I saw it, but now I'm like meh. I still think Holland and Keaton were were really good, and its just a shame with Hollands talent he couldn't get better material. Spider-Man is a backseat character in the MCU, and very much tied to Iron Mans hip. They're linked, and even if they branch out now, I can't unsee it.

I feel like I've gone over this so many times haha
On subsequent viewings of Far From Home I found myself waiting more and more impatiently to get through the elemental fakery stuff and glasses antics to get to the meat and potatoes with Mysterio as the villain.

A few days after the movie came out I saw a post on Reddit exclaiming it was the poster's favorite movie ever! They still were writing about how caught up in the fun and surprises (like Skrulls at the end, whaaaaa) it had. Now, totally fine to really enjoy the movie, I enjoyed it. I told the poster that's fine but maybe revisit it in a couple months after the excitement is gone and see if they still feel that way. Some things really are just mindblowingly good and don't ever leave your mind, but this movie was the typical Marvel movie that gets me excited and leaves my brain after a couple days.

I just don't get how even coming off of something like Spider-Verse last year so many people said this was the best Spider-Man movie ever. Spider-Verse? Now that's a definitive film about Spider-Man, his world, and makes a statement about Spider-Man. This movie? Not really. It's enjoyable and has some wider themes about the way we consume media but it's nothing that really definitely says anything about Spider-Man himself the way something like Spider-Verse does. When people were saying that movie was the best Spider-Man movie of all time? That's something I can see. This one, no.

Yea, while I enjoyed Far from Home, mostly on the Strength of Jake's Mysterio, it does not touch Spiderverse. As far as live action is concerned, as cheesy as they sometimes can be, Spider-man & Spider-Man 2 tower above the rest. It's ironic that we all wanted Marvel to get a hold of Spider-Man and once they did get their hands on it, Sony made the definitive Spider-Man film. I'm more excited for the next Spiderverse than MCU installment.

On subsequent viewings of Far From Home I found myself waiting more and more impatiently to get through the elemental fakery stuff and glasses antics to get to the meat and potatoes with Mysterio as the villain.

A few days after the movie came out I saw a post on Reddit exclaiming it was the poster's favorite movie ever! They still were writing about how caught up in the fun and surprises (like Skrulls at the end, whaaaaa) it had. Now, totally fine to really enjoy the movie, I enjoyed it. I told the poster that's fine but maybe revisit it in a couple months after the excitement is gone and see if they still feel that way. Some things really are just mindblowingly good and don't ever leave your mind, but this movie was the typical Marvel movie that gets me excited and leaves my brain after a couple days.

I just don't get how even coming off of something like Spider-Verse last year so many people said this was the best Spider-Man movie ever. Spider-Verse? Now that's a definitive film about Spider-Man, his world, and makes a statement about Spider-Man. This movie? Not really. It's enjoyable and has some wider themes about the way we consume media but it's nothing that really definitely says anything about Spider-Man himself the way something like Spider-Verse does. When people were saying that movie was the best Spider-Man movie of all time? That's something I can see. This one, no.
That's because some people that are part of the MCU crowd, and not all, but a lot think that every new MCU entry is incredible. I remember when the early review videos for Far From Home came out, people were like "call out of work early, or cancel work to go see this film. you need to see this film immediately!', and i knew right then and there that it was most likely over hyped. I was correct, tbh. I left the theater after seeing Far From home just enjoying Mysterios performance more than anything and then moved on. I wish more people would realize that just because something is part of the MCU doesn't make it the "best version ever!!!". I also thought the jokes in Far From Home didn't land either.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the best MCU films are the ones with a strong creative voice behind them. Ryan Coogler for Black Panther,James Gunn for GOTG and Taika for Ragnarok. When they just get a journeyman director or someone fresh off indepdent film, the movies feel...generic. I thought Antman & The Wasp & Captain Marvel were steps back in quality for the MCU. If they weren't between Infinity War & Endgame I don't think they'd be so favorable viewed.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the best MCU films are the ones with a strong creative voice behind them. Ryan Coogler for Black Panther,James Gunn for GOTG and Taika for Ragnarok.
Absolutely on board this. For me, the best MCU film is Ragnarok, which ironically is also its most wackiest and comedic.

Great thread! This MCU Spidey makes me feel nothing but popculture became so big in last 6-7 years so even general audience think and act like they're comic book experts.

Most of these MCU movies feel like these generic fast food burgers. Don't get me wrong, it's sort of ok but SM1+2, SpiderVerse and PS4 are Michelin-star restaurants.

I always felt they should have found a creative way to retroactively integrate the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man into the MCU. You get the origin story out of the way, you already have a built-in fanbase, and there'd be a nostalgia factor at play too. Regardless of some of the inaccuracies, I still feel that was the definitive cinematic version of the character, with a lot of pathos, gravitas and no stupid jokes ruining every serious moment. The MCU timeline would not have required major retcons, if any, I think.

Maguire personality-wise is nothing like Peter Parker. Tom Holland in and of himself is a much better fit than Maguire was, whatever you think about the material around him.

I don't feel that there's a true representation of the character just yet. There's always something missing with each interpretation.

If you ask me (and no one has, but still :o) neither Maguire or Holland have been able to capture Spidey's personality. One was too much of a meeky and nerdy loser, and the other is a naive child who's in awe of everyone and everything and is incapable of saying anything bad about anyone.

Between the two I prefer Maguire but only because I think his movies were just better made (the first two, at least). But the definitive live-action Peter Parker still doesn't exist.

I've not been in these boards since seeing FFH over a month ago. After seeing it I was so upset about the direction they've taken with the character that I had no desire to even talk about it.

But some time has passed and I wanted to drop by and at least express my thoughts.

I enjoyed Homecoming. It had definitely had some problems however I felt they'd created a decent enough base from which to expand. Unfortunately, FFH took every single issue I had with Homecoming and exacerbated them while adding new issues on top of those. Holland is great but everything around him is...not.

As far as movies go, FFH sits one spot ahead of ASM2 at the bottom of the list. I've no desire to watch this movie again and it has pretty much killed any and all interest that I have with MCU Spider-Man. This version just isn't for me. Though it appears the Sony Disney deal may be coming to an end and at this point I welcome it. Really sucks because Disney had such potential to do things proper and they and probably Sony too, f**ked it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"