MCU Thor Respect Thread (Spoilers!!!)

tumblr_pqweycDSfR1vs1apu_400.gif

tumblr_pqubahM8iG1snteogo4_r3_540.gif

tumblr_pqw1s3yJwE1vs1apu_400.gif

Yeah, the main issue with Thor using the Gauntlet was his mental state. He just wasn't in the correct place to be able to wield omnipotence. Banner was the only person with both the composure and the durability.
Yeah if this happened during the time of IW then it would have been Hulk/Banner not in shape to wield it and Thor would have been fine.

Give us a return to peak Thor in Guardians 3, Thor 4 and a cosmic super-group alongside the likes of Dr Strange and Cap Marvel (and maybe Hulk down the road).

I need to watch out for Thor and Korg on Xbox live lol.

Give us a return to peak Thor in Guardians 3, Thor 4 and a cosmic super-group alongside the likes of Dr Strange and Cap Marvel (and maybe Hulk down the road).

Love the cosmic super group idea of Strange, Marvel and Thor - Guardians and Marvel seems a very natural team up.

MfuOmyDP_o.jpg

endgame-effects-thor3-2560x9999.jpg

Last edited:
This should be the future of the character in the MCU.
Warrior Madness/Beserker Rage Thor.

tumblr_prytsjaDgj1sqep2mo1_1280.png

This should be the future of the character in the MCU.
Warrior Madness/Beserker Rage Thor.

tumblr_prytsjaDgj1sqep2mo1_1280.png

Respectfully I disagree.

After Taika Waititi did so much great work making Thor a relatable, funny but also more mature and self-aware character and the Russos have shown him dealing with depression do we really need to see him turn back into the somewhat 2 dimensional idiot that he was at the start of his first film ?

TBH warrior madness Thor might seem badass at first look, but really he's about as ridiculous as Monty Python's Black Knight.

What I want to see is Thor and Quill team up to tackle weight loss together, that could be hilarious - also Thor needs to find a new purpose, he's given up the throne and is taking time off but that's bound to be a journey of discovery.

Whether it's as a supporting cast member in GOTG vol 3 or in a new solo film I'm looking forward to Thor's next appearance.
Personally I think a Thor team up with Dr Strange and Captain Marvel has huge potential.

On another note, if we're looking for ideas for the next Thor movie, I have 3 words for everyone......BETA RAY BILL !

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the stuff that Taika did in RAGNAROK made Thor more mature in the least. The majority of the film's run time he's a somewhat dense meathead used for comedy which mostly is at the expense of his own dignity. Which is fine in a certain dosage. It's okay to take the piss out of the character in my view... But when you do it all the time to the point that's all most remember about them you create issues where it's not necessary, especially when you suddenly want to present them as indeed matured, tempered, crafty and wise in some fashion. This had a bad effect on the overall impact on the story as well, and it is noticed when you see where the film maker's interest really is. In Ragnarok the interest isn't on what on paper by any estimation should be gigantic dramatic and character affecting revelations. But because they just gotta do fifty jokes in a row where probably fifteen would suffice there's no real room for any of that to percolate and be given weight, and since the interest is in spotlighting the humor there's no time devoted to what any of the story MEANS to the character either. In the final analysis the super hero dramatics is shunted aside to give comedy it's day in the sun. All other aspects are reduced to some perfunctory scenes and moments to move the plot along. Sure, there's some absolutely great action moments... But the majority of the film is obsessed with making me laugh so as flashy great as the action is it's just has no meaning behind it. Worse, the presentation is just inconsistent given that for the purpose of comedy your main character seems strangely outclassed and incapable one moment and then a badass wrecking ball the next. Thor can knock Hulk (before his Super Sayajin Lightning Eyes moment, mind you) around the battle arena resulting in major damage to the place... But he's incapable of getting out of a chair? His skin can be pierced by the obedience discs and we get the "Don't Tase Me Bro" moments but he's taking multiple blows from the Hulk and showing his invulnerability in many other way throughout? That doesn't track. And it doesn't track because the focus in on the humor, so, anything for a laugh.

I get that Chris has great comedy chops and he wants to flex them. He also as has been shown many times in the MCU since he started in the part that he can handle dramatic weight just as well. I don't want to have him be dour or without any humor or relatability but when you push material whose big thrust is to undermine the character's inherent dignity (And comedy is by it's nature very often the death of dignity) then it's hard to suddenly switch gears to where I'm buying the dramatic stuff. And that's the stuff I want to see in Thor on film. I want the Noble Warrior God Prince based on the mythology of the Norse Gods who is also a modern day super hero.

In AEG the basis of Thor's arc is very good and the idea inherently lends itself too some jokes about Thor's condition of drinking and eating himself into a flabby depressive spiral. There's nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with throwing some jokes out about that... But that can cross a threshold, as was done in Ragnarok where that's all anyone ends up remembering. In IW Thor had his meathead moments but then we also got him as this fantastical cosmic warrior god. We got to see how he's not just some slightly dense slab of beef but a 1,500 year old epic hero. Marvel's God Of Thunder in live action is what I want to see, not Marvel Studios God Of Blunder and the issue is that they HAVE given us that character in other movies. They can give us a good balance, but they rely on humor as a crutch to get over with the general audience. Ragnarok is indeed a fun film with funny moments, good looking action and is overall just... fun. But... It's not about anything. It's gonna be literally remembered for the jokes and nothing else.

I don't remember Thor stories from the comics because they made me laugh. I remember them because they were big epic stories about the Scion of Asgard smiting mighty foes and winning against incredible odds.

Reactions: B
I wouldn't say the stuff that Taika did in RAGNAROK made Thor more mature in the least. The majority of the film's run time he's a somewhat dense meathead used for comedy which mostly is at the expense of his own dignity. Which is fine in a certain dosage. It's okay to take the piss out of the character in my view... But when you do it all the time to the point that's all most remember about them you create issues where it's not necessary, especially when you suddenly want to present them as indeed matured, tempered, crafty and wise in some fashion. This had a bad effect on the overall impact on the story as well, and it is noticed when you see where the film maker's interest really is. In Ragnarok the interest isn't on what on paper by any estimation should be gigantic dramatic and character affecting revelations. But because they just gotta do fifty jokes in a row where probably fifteen would suffice there's no real room for any of that to percolate and be given weight, and since the interest is in spotlighting the humor there's no time devoted to what any of the story MEANS to the character either. In the final analysis the super hero dramatics is shunted aside to give comedy it's day in the sun. All other aspects are reduced to some perfunctory scenes and moments to move the plot along. Sure, there's some absolutely great action moments... But the majority of the film is obsessed with making me laugh so as flashy great as the action is it's just has no meaning behind it. Worse, the presentation is just inconsistent given that for the purpose of comedy your main character seems strangely outclassed and incapable one moment and then a badass wrecking ball the next. Thor can knock Hulk (before his Super Sayajin Lightning Eyes moment, mind you) around the battle arena resulting in major damage to the place... But he's incapable of getting out of a chair? His skin can be pierced by the obedience discs and we get the "Don't Tase Me Bro" moments but he's taking multiple blows from the Hulk and showing his invulnerability in many other way throughout? That doesn't track. And it doesn't track because the focus in on the humor, so, anything for a laugh.

I get that Chris has great comedy chops and he wants to flex them. He also as has been shown many times in the MCU since he started in the part that he can handle dramatic weight just as well. I don't want to have him be dour or without any humor or relatability but when you push material whose big thrust is to undermine the character's inherent dignity (And comedy is by it's nature very often the death of dignity) then it's hard to suddenly switch gears to where I'm buying the dramatic stuff. And that's the stuff I want to see in Thor on film. I want the Noble Warrior God Prince based on the mythology of the Norse Gods who is also a modern day super hero.

In AEG the basis of Thor's arc is very good and the idea inherently lends itself too some jokes about Thor's condition of drinking and eating himself into a flabby depressive spiral. There's nothing wrong with that and there's nothing wrong with throwing some jokes out about that... But that can cross a threshold, as was done in Ragnarok where that's all anyone ends up remembering. In IW Thor had his meathead moments but then we also got him as this fantastical cosmic warrior god. We got to see how he's not just some slightly dense slab of beef but a 1,500 year old epic hero. Marvel's God Of Thunder in live action is what I want to see, not Marvel Studios God Of Blunder and the issue is that they HAVE given us that character in other movies. They can give us a good balance, but they rely on humor as a crutch to get over with the general audience. Ragnarok is indeed a fun film with funny moments, good looking action and is overall just... fun. But... It's not about anything. It's gonna be literally remembered for the jokes and nothing else.

I don't remember Thor stories from the comics because they made me laugh. I remember them because they were big epic stories about the Scion of Asgard smiting mighty foes and winning against incredible odds.

Well. I can't dispute your opinion regarding the film - However, the fact that Ragnarok is by far the best received and highest grossing Thor film suggests that the changes to Thor's character had a positive effect - so much so that IMO he stops being constantly upstaged by Loki. Ragnarok also has a great villain.

As for some of the inconsistency with Thor's powers and the control discs.....it's just another version of kryptonite really.

Honestly I took away a very different view of Thor's development , from Ragnarok. He didn't come across to me as a meathead - rather he didn't take himself as seriously as the previous films and shows a sense of optimism. He's also pushed beyond his limits in ways the previous films didn't - and confronts some hard truths about his family and the Asgardian civilization.

In Ragnarok Thor also accepts his role as king of Asgard. He develops the maturity to stop fighting a hopeless battle and save his people from certain annihilation.
He also comes to terms with his relationship with his brother and his father.

To me, all of above makes for a much more relatable and enjoyable character.

The warrior who smites foes was there too, beating up the Hulk, smashing through armies of ash demons and zombie soldiers, and taking on the goddess of death and not giving up despite grievous injuries - in fact he ends up saving the day despite impossible odds, because it's clear he cannot defeat Hela.
So the character you described was certainly in the film, he just happens to be less lofty and more fun than in his previous movies.

I felt that Taika managed to make the stakes in Ragnarok very high, while still keeping the film fun. I dispute that it's about nothing- as it brings to life some of the greatest Thor stories from the Simonson run of the 1980s.

Below are some quotes which IMO are indicative of Thor's growth as a character ( from the Thor we see in TDW).

Surtur: You cannot stop Ragnarok. Why fight it?
Thor: Because that’s what heroes do.

Thor: [to Valkyrie] You know, go ahead. Stay here and enslave people for that lunatic. Keep drinking, keep hiding. But me, I choose to run toward my problems and not away from them. Because that’s what… because that’s what heroes do.

Thor: Loki, I thought the world of you. I thought we were going to fight side by side forever. But at the end of the day, you’re you and I’m me. I don’t know, maybe there’s still good in you. But let’s be honest, our paths diverged a long time ago.
Loki: Yeah. It’s probably for the best that we never see each other again.
Thor: It’s what you always wanted.

Thor: Dear brother, you're becoming predictable. I trust you, you betray me, round and round in circles we go. See, Loki, life is about, it's about growth. It's about change. But you seem to just wanna stay the same. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you'll always be the God of Mischief, but you could be more.

In the end it's agree to disagree I guess.

Last edited:

giphy.gif

His skin can be pierced by the obedience discs and we get the "Don't Tase Me Bro" moments but he's taking multiple blows from the Hulk and showing his invulnerability in many other way throughout? That doesn't track.

You do realise that in the comics, the obedience disks were capable of subduing the Silver Surfer, right?

main-qimg-f0dbf03e567f7dd93e0b86b73f619dd8

The obedience disks being able to subdue Thor is WELL within the scope of their abilities from the comics and Ragnarok was not at all inconsistent with the source material in this regard.

Wattiti himself stated that he envisioned the disks having a similar effect on Thor to what Odin's depowering of him had in the first movie:

The obedience discs seen on Sakaar come from the Planet Hulk comics. Waititi explained that the obedience disk more or less plays the same role as Thor losing his hammer in the first film — it takes away his powers and makes it more believable he could be beaten in a fight. “It’s just more fun to see a character like this on an even playing field,” says Waititi.

'Thor: Ragnarok': 32 Things We Learned from Taika Waititi's Commentary

You can make of that what you will. As Batmannerism says, the disks should be seen as a sort of multi-purpose Kryptonite. They're plot devices to allow Thor to be captured so that he can be kept away from Asgard for most of the movie and so he can have gladiator fight with Hulk.

You do realise that in the comics, the obedience disks were capable of subduing the Silver Surfer, right?

main-qimg-f0dbf03e567f7dd93e0b86b73f619dd8

The obedience disks being able to subdue Thor is WELL within the scope of their abilities from the comics and Ragnarok was not at all inconsistent with the source material in this regard.

Wattiti himself stated that he envisioned the disks having a similar effect on Thor to what Odin's depowering of him had in the first movie:

The obedience discs seen on Sakaar come from the Planet Hulk comics. Waititi explained that the obedience disk more or less plays the same role as Thor losing his hammer in the first film — it takes away his powers and makes it more believable he could be beaten in a fight. “It’s just more fun to see a character like this on an even playing field,” says Waititi.

'Thor: Ragnarok': 32 Things We Learned from Taika Waititi's Commentary

You can make of that what you will. As Batmannerism says, the disks should be seen as a sort of multi-purpose Kryptonite. They're plot devices to allow Thor to be captured so that he can be kept away from Asgard for most of the movie and so he can have gladiator fight with Hulk.

:applaud

Yeah if this happened during the time of IW then it would have been Hulk/Banner not in shape to wield it and Thor would have been fine.

My thinking on this, is that without the benefit of Gamma protection, I don't see him faring *better* than Prof Hulk but maybe IW Thor would fare just about as well (serious arm injury like Thanos/Hulk).

But in the moment I feel that it was less about what would happen to Thor and more about what the Avengers felt he could possibly have been capable of. Thor may have attempted to do more than just unsnap the snap, he may have tried to bring back Asgard, Odin, Frigga, Mjolnir, and caused far more devastation in the process. Who knows what would have happened... He was not in right state of mind for this.

KING THOR #1 (OF 4)
KINGTHOR2019001-cov.jpg
KINGTHOR2019001-Zaffino-var.jpg

JASON AARON (W) • ESAD RIBIC (A/C)
SUPERSTARS JASON AARON & ESAD RIBIC CONCLUDE THEIR EPIC THOR STORY!
The creators of the legendary THOR: GOD OF THUNDER series that kicked off one of the most epic runs in Marvel history are back together for one last ride with the almighty Lord of Asgard! Seven years ago, Jason and Esad introduced the Thor of the far future, All-Father of a broken realm and a dying universe, as he stood in battle against the Butcher of Gods, wielder of All-Black the Necrosword. Now that nefarious blade has returned, in the hands of Thor’s all-time greatest enemy – his brother, Loki – for one final, cataclysmic showdown. Behold the book no comics fan should miss – the celebration of the end of a truly Marvelous era.

One's gotta love these King Thor covers from Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic.
I just love how these guys have "reimagined" and retold this new version of Thor. I unabashedly love this look. Jason Aaron is in my book the best Thor writer ever and his run on Thor is freaking amazing. These comic book artists are doing the lord's work with the imagery.

Also check out the synopsis for the second cover "King Thor #2".
The creators of the legendary THOR: GOD OF THUNDER series that kicked off one of the most epic runs in Marvel history are back together for one last ride with the almighty Lord of Asgard! Seven years ago, Jason and Esad introduced the Thor of the far future, All-Father of a broken realm and a dying universe, as he stood in battle against the Butcher of Gods, wielder of All-Black the Necrosword. Now that nefarious blade has returned, in the hands of Thor's all-time greatest enemy - his brother, Loki - for one final, cataclysmic showdown. Behold the book no comics fan should miss - the celebration of the end of a truly Marvelous era.

scaled.kingthor2019001-cov.jpg

tumblr_pvorgfdQkz1s2lswpo1_1280.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"