MCU Thor Respect Thread (Spoilers!!!)

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by BigThor, May 2, 2018.

1. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

When
    Thanos had Thor pinned against that rock and was trying to push Stormbreaker through him Thor was only using arm strength to struggle against Thanos. Mind you, Thanos was using two hands PLUS his full body and had better leverage and Thor still made him struggle.

#251 BigThor, Apr 27, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    antsman41 likes this.
  2. antsman41

antsman41 Belongs To Prince

Thor was a BAMF, while being a drunkard fatty for five years, in this film.

Anyone who doesn’t like the “setback” that Marvel did with Thor is this film doesn’t understand.

Jedi Arrow, BigThor and harlequinade like this.
  3. harlequinade

harlequinade The May Queen

Thor was fantastic in Endgame <3

4. First Avenger

First Avenger Registered

Thanos Prime still couldn't kill Thor at his worst lol.

harlequinade likes this.
  5. rebellion

rebellion Registered

Thats unfair, theres nothing to "understand". For some people, myself included, they took it one step too far. He lost the most so lets have him be fat, burp, sleep during meetings and argue with kids playing fortnite.
    Now i get it works for most people, but me personally, every dramatic scene he had was drowned in jokes and him being a walking gag. It wasnt (perfectly) balanced, in my opinion.
    It also seemed like his character only goes back and forth every film. Like, on the way out from the cinema most people were like "fat thor was funny". The ptsd part didnt stick. And that bothered me a lot.

Stormborn likes this.
  6. harlequinade

You're making an assumption that it didn't stick. It was there and it was effective but the major takeaway form the movie is how hilarious Thor's scenes were

Jedi Arrow, HammerDown and BigThor like this.
  7. B

B [insert witty comment]

Or they just didn't like it maybe?

8. Stormborn

Stormborn Friendly Neighbourhood Thunder God

I reckon I understand pretty well.

It makes sense to follow up Thor's arc in Ragnarok/Infinity War by having him hit harder than anyone by the snap. The guy lost his father, his planet, his best friend and his brother in a matter of days. Then he went through hell to try and stop Thanos, came closer than anyone but blew it. Retreating in shame from what's left of his people makes sense. I can imagine he might start drinking and letting his hair grow unkempt. I don't have a problem with any of that.

My problem is with encouraging us to laugh at the fallen hero by putting him a fat suit and making him the butt of half the film's jokes.

My problem is with having this fat slob version of Thor time travel back to Old Asgard and still somehow be worthy of Mjolnir, which cheapens the lore of the character.

My problem is that rather than giving him an arc, they make him oblivious to how far he's fallen so that he's still being an alcoholic slob even after his friends bring him hope the snap can be undone and arrogantly claiming to be the 'strongest Avenger' in the third act.

Personally I've never found it funny when comedies put actors in fat suits but it's grossly out of place in all the serious scenes Thor's in and there was just no need to make one of the MCU's main characters - a god who's actually known for drinking mead by the barrel in both the comics and the myths without any ill effects - into a fat joke.

If the writers wanted to weaken Thor so that other characters could shine there were far better ways of doing that (injure him, have him unworthy of Stormbreaker, have his PTSD effect his ability to control lightning etc).

#258 Stormborn, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  9. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Quoted for accuracy.

I understand that it was a bold choice and likely not to work for a lot of people, but I don't see how anyone could have been that upset by the time the third act rolls around. He looked like a viking and was right there alongside Cap and Iron Man giving Thanos hell.

Jedi Arrow, doink, antsman41 and 4 others like this.
  10. harlequinade

The man looked IMPOSING while sporting BRAIDED beard. That's insane. He looked more powerful than in IW and crazy hair made him look fierce

UGH loved it so much

Jedi Arrow and Flint Marko like this.
  11. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Perfect example of how looks can be deceiving because he certainly was weaker than he was in IW.

Awesome look though, now all we need is some kick ass action to go along with.

12. HammerDown

HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

13. First Avenger

First Avenger Registered

I loved how everyone was hurt when Thanos attacked the HQ and Thor was just chilling lol

Jedi Arrow and HammerDown like this.
  14. HammerDown

HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

Yeh and when Professor Hulk was about to try the IM Gauntlet, everyone was suiting up, putting up shields, closing the whole HQ... and Thor was just standing there, gently pushing Rocket to stand behind him.

15. antsman41

antsman41 Belongs To Prince

Looks like a little lighting Star is on his chest...

16. Flint Marko

Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Also friendly reminder that Thor's beard braided itself to prepare for battle.

Cherry on top of what was already the greatest third act in any superhero movie.

17. harlequinade

That braid was amazing but you have to be Chris Hemsworth to pull it off I fear mortal men will start copying it :lmao:

Jedi Arrow and THORin like this.
  18. Bach

Bach Registered

Despite being out of shape, Thor did surprinsingly well against Thanos. I can't help to wonder what's going to happen to him now.

19. The_Manhunter

The_Manhunter Zack Snyder & MCU Fan

Cannot understate how awesome this moment was. I just wish he wasn't, you know, out of shape at this point of the movie since he has his power back.

Jedi Arrow and Stormborn like this.
  20. First Avenger

First Avenger Registered

Also remember that in Endgame it's also implied that Peak Thor could totally use the Gauntlet to reverse the snap.

21. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I believe it.

22. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Yeah, the main issue with Thor using the Gauntlet was his mental state. He just wasn't in the correct place to be able to wield omnipotence. Banner was the only person with both the composure and the durability.

Jedi Arrow and BigThor like this.
  23. harlequinade

Ugh can it be 2021 already or whenever it releases

BigThor likes this.
  24. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Yeah I think mid-late 2021 is a pretty safe bet, I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for an earlier release though.