Michael Douglas is Hank Pym

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hank actually looks like Douglas in that panel.

You would probably freak out if someone shrunk you or you saw a army of giant flying ants.

tumblr_njkzta5_Uic1qh1a28o1_500.jpg

But that hasn't been shown in the MCU yet. My point is he hasn't been mentioned yet because there's been other things going on that can cut into your time of sitting around and talking about scientists. Sure, once he makes an appearance he'll have impact. I wasn't knocking him.

But that hasn't been shown in the MCU yet. My point is he hasn't been mentioned yet because there's been other things going on that can cut into your time of sitting around and talking about scientists. Sure, once he makes an appearance he'll have impact. I wasn't knocking him.

I wasn't responding to your post or criticising anything you said just make a general post about how weird it would be to see that stuff ;)

I read on the MCU Wikia that Hank Pym was slightly hinted by Selvig in the first Thor.

Selvig made a reference to Pym although didn't mention him by name in a deleted scene for Thor.

Yes he was supposed to be the friend that had a run in with SHIELD a few years ago. That was probably deleted because it makes less sense in the current context since we know he actually worked for SHIELD at some point.

Actually the scene works

Selvig talks bout Bruce Banner and then about his friend Hank Pym. People tend to get get confused because he references both characters although not by name.

Kevin Feige said
Literally the only thing we took out were the words “Hank Pym”. It was when Selvig, Darcy, and Jane are on the roof and S.H.I.E.L.D. has just taken all of their stuff. Darcy is complaining about her laptop and Jane is going, “Who the bad place are these guys anyway?” Selvig then tells a story, which is clearly alluding to Bruce Banner, that he knew a gamma scientist and this thing happened and S.H.I.E.L.D. came up, which he had never heard of again. Selvig may or may not have all of his facts straight on that, but those are the rumors that go around the science world there. He goes, “I have a friend who has had experiences with these people. Let me email him.” That friend is Hank Pym. But we took out “Hank Pym” because it felt like, “Banner! Hank!” We were just like, “Enough.”

Hank Pym has experience with Shield because he worked with them. Pym seems very secretive so he probably didn't tell Selvig he was Ant-Man or about his discovery of Pym Particles.

Ultimately it seems irrelevant anyway as the scene was deleted. Unless Selvig or Pym name drop each other by name in a final cut of a Marvel film then their friendship is non-existent to most general audiences.

im really looking fwd to seeing how Ant Man fits into the MCU. I have a feeling theyre going to have Hank be the 2nd MCU super hero after Cap, but we just didnt know about it.

^

Yup. That's basically already been confirmed though. From the prequel comics (which I consider "supplemental canon" rather than "strict canon") we know he was running ops for SHIELD as Ant-Man back in the day. He was basically unwilling to give SHIELD complete access to this Pym particle technology and hence would go on these operations himself rather than trust any other SHIELD agents with the techonology.

All of this Ant-Man/Pym particle stuff would've been kept completely off book since I don't think any of this went public when Black Widow dropped her little SHIELD-bomb in CA:TWS.

^^ OK thanks for confirming that. I wasnt sure about it. Thats really a great way to bring the MCU full circle so theres no gaps in the long awaited Ant Man connection.

Feige said Hank Pym's Ant-Man had been around for a long time and had many adventures.

It would be a nice little Easter egg if we saw a list of some of the villains Pym went up against in the past on one of his monitors.

I could see Pym's Ant-Man taking down some of the Cold War villains from the comics like Gargoyle (Yuri Topolov), Madame X (Nina Tsiolkovsky ) and so on.

What about Andrew Lincoln for a young Hank Pym? I can kinda see the resemblance between him and a younger Michale Douglas

JRw_F86_O.jpg

Hank Pym is the crowed lobby of his his company. You can see a portrait of him on the wall as well.

Pym particles is probably a competitive company that is under the radar of Stark Industries. I wouldn't be surprised if RDJ has a cameo in this film .

The company is called Pym Technologies BTW :cwink:

I don't think Pym Technologies were munitions makers/defence contractor/arms dealers under Hank Pym going by what they have said about the company.

Darren Cross taking over and making the company similar to Stark Industries seems to be part of the reason Hank and Darren fell out with each other.

Tony Stark since Iron Man 1 seems to be doing the opposite of Pym Technologies by moving his company away from weapons manufacturing so they aren't really competition. Tony created the clean energy arc reactor to power Avengers tower in New York which seems to be the direction he may be moving Stark Industries in.

So if anything Pym Technologies is taking over where Stark Industries left off.

Last edited:
Douglas Pym sounds really interesting.

I like his motivations recently revealed in the new interviews and I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing about Pym's time with Shield as a covert agent.

The relationships between Pym, Howard Stark and some of the current crop of Marvel heroes also sound interesting.

v_SBH168.jpg

91tt_QM6.jpg

WG1jiru.jpg

Can I just say how awesome Michael Douglas was as Hank Pym? Not to take away from Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, and the rest of the stellar cast. But Douglas was the best performance and really sold you on the idea that Pym was a badass scientist whom you didn't want to mess with.

I know it's just wishful thinking, but I'd be down for a prequel movie or series focusing on Hank's adventures as Ant-Man during the Cold War with Janet as the Wasp by his side.

Heres my theory:

I think Hank Pym was probably the 2nd official super hero in the MCU after Captain America. He started out as an upbeat, idealistic scientist who became a secret SHIELD agent using his tech. He and Jan then went on missions as Ant Man and Wasp. It could possibly be that they along with Howard Stark and Peggy Carter created the original Avengers Initiative. At some point, Jan was killed maybe accidentally by Hank during a big mission. Feeling responsible, he gave up his Ant Man alter ego and quit SHIELD. This is why his history isnt widely known by Tony etc. It was probably only a brief time he acted as Ant Man. Decades later we'll see him as the older, more pessimistic scientist who despises super heroes like Iron Man & Co who have been more successful at what he had tried to do.

Pretty damn spot on Friend

Can I just say how awesome Michael Douglas was as Hank Pym? Not to take away from Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, and the rest of the stellar cast. But Douglas was the best performance and really sold you on the idea that Pym was a badass scientist whom you didn't want to mess with.

I know it's just wishful thinking, but I'd be down for a prequel movie or series focusing on Hank's adventures as Ant-Man during the Cold War with Janet as the Wasp by his side.

I feel the same way, 100%, for both parts of this post. Loved MD's Pym, possibly the highlight of the movie for me, and I'd love to see more.

Don't see why you felt you needed spoiler tags for that last part.

Pretty damn spot on Friend

So wish you'd used spoiler tags before quoting that.

Douglas made this freaking movie. He's such a great actor, he just adds such weight to the film. I hope they bring him back for more.

I've always been a big Michael Douglas fan and it was making me crazy how much I hated him in the trailers. It was a massive relief to watch so strong a performance.

Douglas' Pym was awesome. He reminded me of a less shady and do originally detached Harold Finch with greater comic timing. The effects used to deage him were incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"