Michael Keaton: Overrated?

I'd feel a lot safer with Keaton. Even if he must kill a couple thugs. After seeing how careless Bale's Batman is I bet he would wind up killing me by accident.

You know Bale's Batman is a younger version. BB/TDK and where's Keatons was around for years.

Not really. He was starting out in B89 and BR takes place only less than 2 months later

You know Bale's Batman is a younger version. BB/TDK and where's Keatons was around for years.

Will be interesting to see if TDKR Batman is any different then, as it's been 8 years.

I'd feel a lot safer with Keaton. Even if he must kill a couple thugs. After seeing how careless Bale's Batman is I bet he would wind up killing me by accident.

Haha. If you're a cop in Goitham and Batman happens to have his girl in danger, beware because he'll smash your car or anything to save her.

Not really. He was starting out in B89 and BR takes place only less than 2 months later

Is that a fact GA?

Will be interesting to see if TDKR Batman is any different then, as it's been 8 years.

Not only that but it's the end of the story. I don't remember anyone doing that before. On the contrary it was the golden rule to stretch the sequels untill the franchise got ruined.

It's only 2 months later?

Man, he blew through Vicki fast.

"Do what you need to with her, then broom her fast."

I think i'm alone in this but i found his Bruce Wayne to be really boring, his Batman wasn't that good either. Don't take this too personally

The 2 months is just an assumption on my part. The first movie happened in November if I remember correctly on the top of my head, and BR is a December. Just a guess

The 2 months is just an assumption on my part. The first movie happened in November if I remember correctly on the top of my head, and BR is a December. Just a guess

I say it because I remember Keaton having some white hairs around the temples.

Hmm yes youre right, and he didnt have em in real life so the gray streaks were added. that might mean a much bigger time difference between the movies

grey.png

I would guess like a year.

Just a guess, of course. But all of the various character progression seems to make it seem like a fair amount of time passed between the two movies.

Well I can't see Vicki leaving, Schreck popping up, and Dent disappearing in two months. A year at the very least.

I always thought it was a couple years later. Batman got a new suit, new home, new cave, new vehicle, etc. I know it was more of Burton trying to make everything look fresh but it always appeared that way to me.

The car and the cave were the same.

And despite the changes, Wayne Manor should always be the same place.

I meant the Batskiboat. Unless it's something he always had.

It's possible. Just because it wasn't shown in B89, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

I don't even see Batman Returns as a sequel to Batman. The only references to the first is the Vicki exchanges and Penguin's speech about boy scouts becoming clowns (unless he meant the Triangle Circus Gang). The look and feel of everything is radically different, not that that's a bad thing. Wayne Manor isn't the same, it's a completely different mansion. Gotham City no longer resembles Furst's world but Bo Welch's creation. Then you have the Batcave. The single suit and vault idea is replaced with a draw bridge type entrance. Instead of one, one of a kind suit, Batman now has several. No turntable, no notable similarities. I may be wrong but I seem to recall Burton scoffing at the idea of this being "sequel" or a continuation of what was done for the first. I've always seen Batman Returns as a sort of revamp of Burton's first take. Other than the actors and the Batmobile there isn't this sense of continuity whatsoever. Batman Returns is it's own world, sort of like Batman is in it's own world, at least that's how I've always seen it.

When I watch Batman Returns it's just not something I think about. There's this newness to Batman Returns, this other worldly quality that the first doesn't have (well the first has it's own, but it's not like Returns) and I don't think the snow is because of that. I'm not really into continuity, I like to view each film on it's own merits and stories. Even with the Nolan films I don't really view them as continuations but as their own thing.

Last edited:
I don't think Burton really thought about progression of the storyline in terms of years or character development.

For him this was another episode... a whole other chapter in a different book, etc.

If it wasn't for the Vicki shout-outs, you could easily argue its not even in the same continuity. Even though I assume it is.

I do recall reading that Burton isn't really a fan of sequels, and really approached making BR as a separate entity.

At the same time, as GothamAlleys' has detailed in his blog, there is a lot of key moments in BR that really progress Batman as a character and ties it in strongly with B89.

Which together is actually quite perfect.

バット人;22395557 said:
I don't even see Batman Returns as a sequel to Batman. The only references to the first is the Vicki exchanges and Penguin's speech about boy scouts becoming clowns (unless he meant the Triangle Circus Gang). The look and feel of everything is radically different, not that that's a bad thing. Wayne Manor isn't the same, it's a completely different mansion. Gotham City no longer resembles Furst's world but Bo Welch's creation. Then you have the Batcave. The single suit and vault idea is replaced with a draw bridge type entrance. Instead of one, one of a kind suit, Batman now has several. No turntable, no notable similarities. I may be wrong but I seem to recall Burton scoffing at the idea of this being "sequel" or a continuation of what was done for the first. I've always seen Batman Returns as a sort of revamp of Burton's first take. Other than the actors and the Batmobile there isn't this sense of continuity whatsoever. Batman Returns is it's own world, sort of like Batman is in it's own world, at least that's how I've always seen it.

When I watch Batman Returns it's just not something I think about. There's this newness to Batman Returns, this other worldly quality that the first doesn't have (well the first has it's own, but it's not like Returns) and I don't think the snow is because of that. I'm not really into continuity, I like to view each film on it's own merits and stories. Even with the Nolan films I don't really view them as continuations but as their own thing.

I find the visual differences between chapters more noticable in Nolan's films. Gotham looks totally different, Batman looks different, different colour pallete etc.

The only reason Gotham looks totally different is that a portion of BB took place in the Narrows. Whereas in TDK, everything happened in the main part of the city.

And that made part of the city couldn't have looked totally different. Because it's Chicago.

Also. How did Batman look totally different? He changed suits. But that was explained on film.

So Keaton's Batman was established in BR and of course Bale will be established in TDKR.

As far as I'm concerned, there's at least three years between the events of B89 and BR. I think Bruce and Vale were in a relationship for a significant amount of time, and Vale leaves him a a 6-18 months before the events of BR.

That's possible... although Vicki obviously wanted Bruce to give up being Batman (based on what Bruce tells Selina in his house in BR) and he had trouble with that. And the way Bruce talks about Vicki... it seems fairly evident that he's not been in a relationship since (or even the possibility that he just got out of the relationship with her.)

So... who knows? The events in Batman Returns could've very well taken place less than a year from the ending of the first film. Though, we know that Bruce at least had enough time to make the Batskiboat, and modify the Batmobile in that time. :cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"