MICHAEL KEATON RETURNS (or at least in discussion) AS BATMAN

I'm glad you liked it man, not trying to be a hater but just had to be honest about how I felt. I'm still really looking forward to the movie and hoping for the best. I'm sure Keaton himself is going to be great, it's just a question of how the movie presents him that has me a bit unsure right now. Seeing him in broad daylight was weird for me....it's possible it could be a "good weird" once I see the movie but I'm just unsure right now. I'm okay with it being a bit campy, but like you said I think the visual aspect of it is a bit iffy for me right now and that's my main issue.

I think you're in the majority as the reaction seems to be great and I think the movie has the potential to be a huge hit and win for DC. For Keaton's sake alone, I'm rooting for this movie regardless of how I end up feeling about it.
Oh I hear ya. I definitely think it's not perfect and theres stuff to be desired with the tone and visuals, both of which don't feel like Burton. At the same time, I'm selling to give the benefit of the doubt and see how it goes. I feel like the only way we were ever gonna get a Burton esque Keaton bats again was if Burton himself directed, and even then the visuals probabaly would be far from what they were in 89 unfortunately. I think I'm just trying to approach it in a "I just want to be entertained" kind of way, similar to no way home.

What I'm not crazy about YET:
  • The cowl is OFF. The neck looks too bulky and the mouth opening too small. It looks like its smooshing Keaton's face and giving him a slight Bale from Batman Begins vibe. It looks better in profile. (oh and his nose is not covered)
  • Keaton jumping around and flipping about feels strange. Part of his appeal in the Burton films was his stillness. Every move felt calculated and precise.
  • Burton's Bat in daylight was bizarre, but fine if the situation calls for it.

So, my only real complaint is the darn cowl, more shots in motion and I might warm up to it.

Yeah, I hate the new suit. Now, I'm unique in the fact that I hate armored/techy-looking Batsuits. I accept it for special function/third act suits like the Sonar in BF. Returns had the best armored design simply because it was so minimalist, but I still prefer muscle-looking like the '89, Panther or BvS suits. The cowl is clearly the worst part of Keaton's new duds. That mouth opening is doing him zero favors, but it is what it is.

Honestly, his performance would get ripped to shreds in this day and age if they were choreographing fights for him the way they were done 30 years ago--I don't mind it. I'm sure Burton would have had him do bigger things back in the day if CGI had been much more viable then.

Honestly, his performance would get ripped to shreds in this day and age if they were choreographing fights for him the way they were done 30 years ago--I don't mind it. I'm sure Burton would have had him do bigger things back in the day if CGI had been much more viable then.
Good point.

Oh I hear ya. I definitely think it's not perfect and theres stuff to be desired with the tone and visuals, both of which don't feel like Burton. At the same time, I'm selling to give the benefit of the doubt and see how it goes. I feel like the only way we were ever gonna get a Burton esque Keaton bats again was if Burton himself directed, and even then the visuals probabaly would be far from what they were in 89 unfortunately. I think I'm just trying to approach it in a "I just want to be entertained" kind of way, similar to no way home.

I think this could definitely deliver in a "No Way Home" sort of way.

There's probably an ideal middle ground between him not fighting fully in the really stiff, limited manner they were forced to utilize because of the suit in 89/92 and him full on zooming around like Arkham Batman.

There's probably an ideal middle ground between him not fighting fully in the really stiff, limited manner they were forced to utilize because of the suit in 89/92 and him full on zooming around like Arkham Batman.

I mean, it's not much different than him using his glider wings in Returns. Now he's just attacking using them.

Last edited:
Could be a fun little trilogy...

iu

iu

iu

I'm in totally the same boat. For me, I think the ultimate bit of fanservice would've been making it feel authentic, like we actually stepped back into Burton's world and we're really meeting that same version of Batman. That to me would actually be more fun than doing the whole meta, wink-wink schtick. But what they're doing is also probably the safest route to go in terms of just letting this be the over the top comic booky thing that it's going for. The GA probably won't care.

But he's not the same version of Batman. This is a much older, seasoned Batman who was probably Batman for years, and clearly has come to terms with it/has some appreciation for it beyond just the obsession seen in the Burton films.

And I don't think this is supposed to be the Burton universe. It's Burton's Batman transplanted into the DCEU.

As for the variety of suits/the Batcave, this man’s entire house/city was altered over a three year period. Visual continuity has never been a thing with this Batman.

And now we know why. Because Flash was running around the multiverse.

But he's not the same version of Batman. This is a much older, seasoned Batman who was probably Batman for years, and clearly has come to terms with it/has some appreciation for it beyond just the obsession seen in the Burton films.

And I don't think this is supposed to be the Burton universe. It's Burton's Batman transplanted into the DCEU.

"We'll see."

It's mainly the visual aspect that's throwing me off. I'll have to see how it all plays in the movie, and exactly what the implications of the time-shifting shenanigans are. But I had assumed that Flash ends up in the Burton-verse and meets Keaton as Step 1 to all of this. To me that seemed like the most fun way to explore the whole idea of their being multiple universes, when you've got such a distinct flavor to the Burton-verse (even with the differences between his two films).

But I'm still happy to see Keaton and I've got no problem with the idea of his character having evolved in the 30 years we haven't seen him. I'd just be lying if I said that CGI Keaton in broad daylight with was my ideal in terms of seeing Keaton's Batman again after all this time.

As a wise man once said, "things change."

Where I would draw the line is Gotham City. If Gotham was being reinterpreted as a generic modern city, I'd be mad. As it is, the only Burtonian locations we've seen have been right. Who knows if we'll actually see Gotham proper in this flick?

As much as I love B89 and BR, I could care less about authenticity to Burton's visual style. At the end of the day, it isn't a Batman film. Besides, to me, the proper continuation of Batman Returns came out in 1995, so no matter what, this is an offshoot universe, so any differences can be explained away as such.

Didn't the teaser have a mechanized sound when teasing the back of the cowl? Definitely seems to be some high-tech Batman Beyond type suit.

After the reaction to Keaton in the trailer alone, WB needs to at least consider the possibility of a Batman Beyond story in some capacity (8 episode limited series, perhaps?)

But I'm still happy to see Keaton and I've got no problem with the idea of his character having evolved in the 30 years we haven't seen him. I'd just be lying if I said that CGI Keaton in broad daylight with was my ideal in terms of seeing Keaton's Batman again after all this time.

At least it looks like he's going to go into the sewers. Or the tunnels abandoned from the Metropolis Project of '29 or whatever that is.

Didn't the teaser have a mechanized sound when teasing the back of the cowl? Definitely seems to be some high-tech Batman Beyond type suit.

After the reaction to Keaton in the trailer alone, WB needs to at least consider the possibility of a Batman Beyond story in some capacity (8 episode limited series, perhaps?)
That would be sweet. :D

I'm glad to see Bats more agile and more mobile in motion. I actually believe Bats is more than just a man in a halloween costume but an actual creature of the Night like in the comics.

I'm glad to see Bats more agile and more mobile in motion. I actually believe Bats is more than just a man in a halloween costume but an actual creature of the Night like in the comics.
100% agreed, also, seeing BatKeaton beating down fools give me life!

I enjoyed what I saw in the trailer, but I can't quite "buy" that this Keaton Bats is the same exact one from B89 or BR. Did I like Keaton Batman leaping around? Yes, but it definitely isn't something he seemed capable of doing in 1989 and 1992.

To be fair though, I often feel that way whenever an older incarnation of a character appears in something new.

I finally figured out why his introduction felt off… no one on set is lighting his eyes;

0E2BF4A0-35AA-4514-916B-520539630C33.jpeg

…it’s really an art. There was a great comment by Fraser on how he had to project two tiny little lights into Pattinson’s eyes in every scene… let alone when he’s moving and such.

D1206445-05C7-4377-AFA2-AE7F3C372978.jpeg

I also always loved how they did it on the original Addams Family movie, too.

Oof...idk guys... I've been so anxious to get our first real look at Keaton in this movie and I'm really not sure how I feel about it now that I've seen it. Of course hearing him say "Yeah... I'm Batman" brings a smile to my face but with him looking straight into the camera in closeup it just felt weird and goofy. Reminded me more or Kilmer's smile than anything from the Burton films. The mystique of the Burtonverse is just nowhere to be found so far in any of the scenes with Batman. And CGI Keaton will take some getting used to.

I guess I was really just hoping his moments were going to be handled with a bit more care to not make it feel like we just dropped Keaton's Batman into a schlocky modern blockbuster but so far that's exactly what it feels like. I hope I'll just get used to it and enjoy but something about it just felt kinda hollow in the trailer and it pains me to admit it.
I can definitely see where you’re coming from. I saw someone on another thread saying that they’re happy this is happening in any capacity, and that’s how I feel about it. As long as he feels like the same character I’ll be happy. Burton allowed Keaton a lot of creative reign with the character and I hope that’s carried over here. Like I know Keaton was adamant that Batman shouldn’t talk too much in the suit. He even asked Daniel Waters to cut down dialogue in Returns. Characteristics like that are what I hope to see here.

The absence of things like that in the Schumacher films are mainly why I don’t consider them as sequels to Burton’s movies. Batman just felt like a completely different person to me.

Just give me more Michael Keaton as Batman after The Flash!

WB can have my money

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"