Mickey Rourke's comeback...what happened?

He wasn't bad in IM2, but he was wasted. It didn't help that half of his scenes were with Sam Rockwell, who kind of stole the spotlight.

He still gets roles. And he'll get another Oscar-worthy role in the future. He's an extremely talented actor with a lot of raw emotion in his roles. I do think his character in Iron Man 2 was completely ****ing wasted though. It was very unfortunate.

Remember when Mickey Rourke was the hot young lead of Rumble Fish? There's only so much someone like him can do in Hollywood at their age, unfortunately, especially when they were never A-listers. But then again he does have several movies ahead of him including Sin City 2.

And he was the villain in Immortals, which was an okay flick (better than Wrath of the Titans, anyway). His role was also fairly understated in that movie when it could have been cheesy as hell (like most of the other roles). I knew he had to have had a movie between Iron Man 2 and now.

he ought to be on sons of anarchy. his acting is perfect for that show.
If you start doing too much TV it hurts your ability to get film roles. Premium cable like HBO is about the only avenue where as an actor you can safely dabble as much as you want. FX I don't think makes the cut and Sons of Anarchy doesn't make the "prestige" cut either.

True he could do a biker quite easily but then he'd just be adding to his typecasting.

I watched a old movie of his on the tv the other night called Year Of The Dragon. It was a pretty good film.
Oh yeah, I remember when that one came out. Pretty cool flick back then. It would be interesting to watch it again to see it the little twist at the end still works, or just would feel cheezy today.

I need to see Barfly again too.

He's just a broken down piece of meat. He's alone and deserves to be alone. But I don't hate him.

Rourke's not exactly the greatest or most versatile of actors...

Disagree. He's one of the best actors of his generation. But he can only blame himself for his downfall. He's burned more bridges than he's left alone in his career, but that's always been his appeal, I think. He's Jack Nicholson-caliber appearing in crap like "Double Team".

Also, Rourke as Randy the Ram is one of the best performances in the past ten years.

Disagree. He's one of the best actors of his generation. But he can only blame himself for his downfall. He's burned more bridges than he's left alone in his career, but that's always been his appeal, I think. He's Jack Nicholson-caliber appearing in crap like "Double Team".

Also, Rourke as Randy the Ram is one of the best performances in the past ten years.

Agree.

His performances in Diner, Rumble Fish, the Pope of Greenwich Village, Body Heat, Angel Heart...he was really on a roll for awhile there.

I think roles like Randy the Ram are few and far between. Mickey seems to be doing ok though. Sin City 2 might be another blockbuster.

Noticed he was in the movie Body Heat the other night. Wow, how his face has changed. He looks awful.

There were reports/rumors that he was a nightmare on the set of Iron Man 2.

He's shown himself to be a tough person to work with and combine that with his age and damaged face and you see the roles he can play are very limited.

He is doing better than before but he was never going to be a huge star. And I'd argue that his performances in Iron Man 2 and Immortals were bad to atrocious.

I think people fail to realize that getting a "comeback" in Hollywood is really hard. Not everyone is as lucky as Robert Downey Jr. By the time you comeback there is usually someone hotter, younger, and just as good as you in town....oh yeah, and that new guy that was just breaking into the scene when you were doing your silly antics, is now in the same spot you once were as a venerated Hollywood A-list.

Just sayin...it ain't that easy.

Agreed, it's very hard.

It's nearly impossible to become a working actor to begin with that why it's always annoyed me when people piss it away once they have it. Maybe it shouldn't because they are only human but it does annoy me.

He wasn't bad in IM2, but he was wasted. It didn't help that half of his scenes were with Sam Rockwell, who kind of stole the spotlight.

No truer words have been spoken on this forum. Genuine potential for the first 40 mins then it's just down hill from there.

I like Rourke, but I have a hard time seeing him as a leading man because of all the bad plastic surgery he's had. I know it's a lousy opinion, but I feel that' what hurting his options.

600full-mickey-rourke.jpeg

I thought he was on total autopilot in Immortals, and mostly in Iron Man 2, for that matter.

Being in IRON MAN 2 had nothing to do with it...being a pain in the ass is enough.

^Yep that's basically what I was getting at C.Lee. He's a jerk and people don't want to deal with that.

Mickey Rourke doesn't play Hollywood politics and always been very opinionated which is detrimental in Tinsel Town, but he's my kind of famous guy!

His best movie is Angel Heart, but I always liked his performance in Get Carter.

Wow, how his face has changed. He looks awful.

A tenure in boxing and botched plastic surgery will do that to you.

IM2 was mediocre but it didn't hurt his career. I blame Marvel for continuously crafting subpar villains (with the exception of Loki).

From what I've heard Rourke is investing time, effort and money into his Boxing/MMA gym. That might explain why he's pulled a disappearing act from the acting world (compared to some like Bale or RDJ). In fact, I think he's got two very young prospects training in his gym, and Rourke has taken a hands on approach.

Last edited:
He did a bunch of crappy movies after Wrestler and Iron Man 2. Informers and Killshot (which were to be fair probably made before the Wrestler), 13, Java Heat, Immortals, Passion Play.

Mickey Rourke is in russia for a boxing match. he will box.

what?????????????
cLheiAi.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"