Apocalypse Mighty as a hurricane, Gentle as the summer rain. Alexandra Shipp is Storm - Part 4

I don't think I remember her saving any mutants other than stopping the Brotherhood to get inside the Alcatraz and destroying it.

Storm's portrayal in X3 jarred with the portrayals in the previous films. We still didn't really find out much about her.

Nor are we any nearer to doing so, 16 years after her first cinematic appearance. That sucks.

Storm's portrayal in X3 jarred with the portrayals in the previous films. We still didn't really find out much about her.

Nor are we any nearer to doing so, 16 years after her first cinematic appearance. That sucks.

NiPkkOJ.gif

If any X-Men deserves a solo movie it is definitely STORM. She is the most mishandled character in the franchise although super central to the lore.

But let's face it, big studio producers are racist *******s. Obviously Singer and Kinberg are only interested in their own lazy identification pattern. Black women are not part of this equation at all!!!

But I would like to see these solo movies gone. X-Men is a team book. They should concentrate on the team aspect...

tumblr_n2y58i1x7N1rertyro2_500.gif

tumblr_momno7DZld1qbwrnuo8_500.gif

Last edited:
I would be immensely satisfied if Halle Berry ever got a meaty role as Storm and totally smashed it. Berry has caught a ton of flack, maybe the most of anyone pre-Lawrence, and I've never been convinced she is really the problem. No film so far has properly served the character, so how much could she do?

Even Halle Berry was demanding for more role as Storm! Its just not good I guess when you have a director like Bryan Singer which isn't really keen to Storm and some people say we should just be grateful to Bryan that he included Storm in Apocalypse (yeah thanks Bryan! *barfs*). And the writers are also not giving her much love.

I loved X-Men Apocalypse but i do agree that they should have delved more into her background, her motivations for stealing etc.

Besides Mystique's photo maybe they could have had a picture of her parents beside it. Something like that would have been a nice detail to the set just like they did with Moira.

Shipp has landed a few roles in recent months including one with a certain Negasonic Teenage Warhead.:yay:

June Pictures is also in post-production on drama-comedy “Dude,” written and directed by Olivia Milch, starring Lucy Hale, Kathryn Prescott, Alexandra Shipp
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/paul-dano-direct-drama-wildlife-movie-1201826764/

Actor/comedian Craig Robinson and actress Alexandra Shipp are set to star in the horror comedy “Tragedy Girls” which is getting ready to start shooting sometime this year.

The film deals with “two death-obsessed teenage girls who use their online show about real-life tragedies to send their small Midwestern town into a frenzy and cement their legacy as modern horror legends”.

Brianna Hildebrand (“Deadpool”) co-stars with Shipp as the 2 girls.

The script was written but Tyler MacIntyre and Chris Hill, with MacIntyle directing. Anthony Holt will produce through The Comeback Kids with Edward Mokhtarian and Armen Aghaeian of New Artist Pictures, alongside Cameron Van Hoy and Tara Ansley. Kerry Rhodes will serve as executive producer.

Shipp was most recently seen as a young Storm in the recent “X-Men: Apocalypse,” and also appeared in “Straight Outta Compton”, “Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B”, “Drumline 2: A New Beat” and Showtime’s “Ray Donovan”.
More:http://shadowandact.com/2016/07/06/...pp-set-to-star-in-horrorcomedy-tragedy-girls/

I would be immensely satisfied if Halle Berry ever got a meaty role as Storm and totally smashed it. Berry has caught a ton of flack, maybe the most of anyone pre-Lawrence, and I've never been convinced she is really the problem. No film so far has properly served the character, so how much could she do?

You and me both! This latest film just emphasises your point. New actress but Storm is still not anymore closer to being given anything interesting to do.

Halle I think would excel if she had more of a dramatic role. Plenty of material in the comics to draw from to give storm more of an important role. Hope she gets a chance to prove her haters wrong like Ryan Reynolds did.

Ryan Reynolds had haters for what? Deadpool? I don't recall anyone feeling he would be a bad deadpool.

Last edited:
Ryan Reynolds had haters for what? Deadpool? I don't recall anyone feeling he would be a bad deadpool.

I actually thought he wouldn't do good as Deadpool and I'm glad I was wrong. :)

Um no Halle is just a crappy Storm thats why she gets the slack she does she just hasnt grasped the character after all these films she is literally just a pretty face. Halle got more in X3 and she was still lacking so yes she is indeed a big part of the problem. I grew up idolozing Storm and she in no way reminds me of Storm, she has no presence and she is mousy to be taken seriously as a leader which is something Storm is not.
Also dont remember anyone complaining about Reynolds as Deadpool either, they are not in the same category.

Um no Halle is just a crappy Storm thats why she gets the slack she does she just hasnt grasped the character after all these films she is literally just a pretty face.
Halle does not write the script. Halle does not choose the dialogue. Halle does not decide which version of scene ends up in the movie. Yes her preformance wasn't perfect, but a huge part of that is that she didn't get a lot to work with. Halle was no worse a Storm than Anna Paquin was a bad Rogue, but for some reason it seems like Halle just gets all the hate, while Anna gets a free pass. In both cases it is really because of the writing and the team. Though if we had a sassy, flying comic book accurate Rogue in X1, Anna would not have been cast either.

Storm in the original trilogy was a shell of the comic book version because the creative team didn't feel like they needed Storm to be the character we know from the comics. That is why we didn't get any of the scenes about Storm's backstory. That's why the character was sometimes so static. They didn't really want Storm in these movies, as much as they wanted Halle in these movies. And we can't blame Halle for that. She has stated repeatedly how much she loves doing these movies, and I think she deserves credit for what she did with what little she got.

Last edited:
Halle does not write the script. Halle does not choose the dialogue. Halle does not decide which version of scene ends up in the movie. Yes her preformance wasn't perfect, but a huge part of that is that she didn't get a lot to work with. Halle was no worse a Storm than Anna Paquin was a bad Rogue, but for some reason it seems like Halle just gets all the hate, while Anna gets a free pass. In both cases it is really because of the writing and the team. Though if we had a sassy, flying comic book accurate Rogue in X1, Anna would not have been cast either.

Storm in the original trilogy was a shell of the comic book version because the creative team didn't feel like they needed Storm to be the character we know from the comics. That is why we didn't get any of the scenes about Storm's backstory. That's why the character was sometimes so static. They didn't really want Storm in these movies, as much as they wanted Halle in these movies. And we can't blame Halle for that. She has stated repeatedly how much she loves doing these movies, and I think she deserves credit for what she did with what little she got.

I disagree a little bit with you. Halle Berry's accent in X1 was pretty, pretty bad. I like Halle Berry as an actress in many movies but I don't think that she has a big range as an actress. She is a very limited actress and she could not elevate the little material she got. Yes, it is also problem of the script. But if you compare Halle Berry's Storm to Ellen Page or Evan Peters' X-Men work?! Both had minimal screen time but they still somehow manage to produce very interesting, compelling characters which feel like characters. This is what a great actor/actress does. I cannot see the same in Halle Berry's Storm and she had more screentime than Page and Peters. I don't know what technique Berry's uses in comparison to the other two but maybe she lacks a certain academic training? (just a careful guess. I don't know Berry's cv)...I love her dialogue scene with Nightcrawler in X2. But that's about it...

But in the end you are totally right, Singer as a white man is incapable to see a black character like Storm. He rotates around things he is capable to see: white (mainly male) characters! :csad:

I disagree a little bit with you. Halle Berry's accent in X1 was pretty, pretty bad. I like Halle Berry as an actress in many movies but I don't think that she has a big range as an actress. She is a very limited actress and she could not elevate the little material she got. Yes, it is also problem of the script. But if you compare Halle Berry's Storm to Ellen Page or Evan Peters' X-Men work?! Both had minimal screen time but they still somehow manage to produce very interesting, compelling characters which feel like characters. This is what a great actor/actress does. I cannot see the same in Halle Berry's Storm and she had more screentime than Page and Peters. I don't know what technique Berry's uses in comparison to the other two but maybe she lacks a certain academic training? (just a careful guess. I don't know Berry's cv)...I love her dialogue scene with Nightcrawler in X2. But that's about it...

But in the end you are totally right, Singer as a white man is incapable to see a black character like Storm. He rotates around things he is capable to see: white (mainly male) characters! :csad:

If you were to re watch the X-Men trilogy and just focus on Storm's dialogue, her individual character arcs and on what she actually gets to do on screen. You might notice that Storm isn't written or directed to be a compelling character. Page and Peters though having limited screen timed did have decent dialogue and interesting things to do on screen. Sadly they same can't be said for Storm.

Most of her dialogue throughout the trilogy is exposition. She barely says anything meaningful or interesting. What's more she has very little interaction with other characters. It's almost like she has no relationship with any of the characters. We don't know who her friends are, whom she dislikes she treats everyone like a colleague despite the fact that she lives with these people.

I don't know how one elevates a character whose main purpose is to carry action and special effects sequences. You must credit Halle, she is very convincing when carrying those scenes and she shows commitment to her role by doing her own stunts. But beyond that the woman does not really get much to do.

She has so much screen time in X3 but watching that movie again, she doesn't really do much, she doesn't even have tha much dialogue.

Storm is badly written, directed, her character design and costume sucks. She doesn't really look or act like the Storm in the comics. You can't blame Halle for that.

Halle plays very well and believably this mousy, soft spoken, scared, weak ass black woman with white hair, because that's how her character is written. If the script says get your ass kicked by toad, then Halle has to get her ass kicked by toad.

Don't blame Halle. I'm confident if the character was written and handled by someone who knew and understood storm as a character, then Halle would nail the role. She has the talent, she just needs the material.

Storm should be chosen by Professor X to lead the X-Men next movie.

He tells her that Jean is too solitary and that Scott is too hot headed.

At least that'll be a step up from being eye candy, which is fine, but I want to see her do stuff and have relationships.

I think that would be great. I want her to truly earn the title though.

I don't see why they should make storm the leader over scott, and attempting a leader rivalry wouldn't be a good idea either IMO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"