Superman Returns Mike Dougherty on Superman returns(podcast)

dark_b

Avenger
Reaction score
Mike was one of the writters from X2 and Superman Returns.

this is a podcast about Trick ‘r Treat and they ask him a little about superman movie.

you find out that he wanted a supervillain and says that the opening scene was important. he never admits that Singer f.... up by deleting this scene since they are friends.

the writter wanted a supervillain............................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :cmad::awesome:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/11/01...est-mike-dougherty-director-of-trick-r-treat/

I think I posted this a few months ago in the X-men and Superman Returns sequel forums. To me this supported, if not confirmed, my theory that Singer never was going to make a Superman sequel. Dougherty does say he and Harris never were going to write the sequel even though in interviews they would say they were at work on it. Plus, Dougherty points out their ideas for a sequel were "nowhere near developed" as their X-men 3 ideas.

Mike was one of the writters from X2 and Superman Returns.

this is a podcast about Trick ‘r Treat and they ask him a little about superman movie.

you find out that he wanted a supervillain and says that the opening scene was important. he never admits that Singer f.... up by deleting this scene since they are friends.

the writter wanted a supervillain............................grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :cmad::awesome:

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/11/01...est-mike-dougherty-director-of-trick-r-treat/
The whole RTK scene and New Krypton was suppose to be a set up for Braniaic in the RTK scene something was suppose to attach itself to Superman's ship and it was attacked by Kryptonite.

The whole RTK scene and New Krypton was suppose to be a set up for Braniaic in the RTK scene something was suppose to attach itself to Superman's ship and it was attacked by Kryptonite.

Where have you heard that? I remember alot of fans wanted that to be the case

I wonder if Bryan Singer had continued with X3, if he is able to pull off a good Pheonix?

I wonder if Bryan Singer had continued with X3, if he is able to pull off a good Pheonix?

I doubt it, I never thought Singers X-Men movies were big enough, I seriously think Singer doesnt have a clue with big action spectacles. His X-Men movies always underwhelmed me.

Where have you heard that? I remember alot of fans wanted that to be the case
Its in the novel and the shooting script when he goes back to New Krypton something gets lodge in the ship during the kryptonite attack. Which many are lead to believe that it was Braniaic because if you remember back during filming this scene and New Krypton was suppose to have a big role in the sequel. Which is why many are lead to believe those parts were to introduce Braniaic. I mean as I have said many of times a good chunk of the story for Superman Returns was cut from the final product. If it had been left in you would have seen a different movie still not as much action but it would have been more explained and you would have seen Lex was not all about land but just revenge and Kal Penn guy Stanford would have had some lines and been shown to be a great villain as well. Also the whole Superman leaving and returning would have been done much better as well as Superman's and Lois rooftop talk and the Smallville stuff.

Now while I thought we got a good movie. I think the movie would have been 10x better uncut because of the way it was written with so much story in it I shouldn't have been cut really. Even right down to the Lois and Martha Kent scene and Superman Perry white scene. Personally I think people would have saw it more as a Bryan Singer film instead of a remake of Donner if left uncut.

I think they should have kept those NK bits instead of scenes like Lois and Richard talking about how Clark could be Superman only to laugh at the notion. That thing has been done way too many times.

I think they should have kept those NK bits instead of scenes like Lois and Richard talking about how Clark could be Superman only to laugh at the notion. That thing has been done way too many times.
There is a lot of stuff cut out like Jason also thinking Clark and Superman were one in the same person (scene takes places when the TV reporter says Superman is back in all of our lives. which is why you see Clark give that nervous look after Jason looks at him). I mean there is a lot stuff important to the story to that was cut because of time. To me being a fan of the movie I think its a shame because I would have loved to see all that stuff. However the movie then probably would have ran 3hrs+.

Its in the novel and the shooting script when he goes back to New Krypton something gets lodge in the ship during the kryptonite attack. Which many are lead to believe that it was Braniaic because if you remember back during filming this scene and New Krypton was suppose to have a big role in the sequel. Which is why many are lead to believe those parts were to introduce Braniaic. I mean as I have said many of times a good chunk of the story for Superman Returns was cut from the final product. If it had been left in you would have seen a different movie still not as much action but it would have been more explained and you would have seen Lex was not all about land but just revenge and Kal Penn guy Stanford would have had some lines and been shown to be a great villain as well. Also the whole Superman leaving and returning would have been done much better as well as Superman's and Lois rooftop talk and the Smallville stuff.

Now while I thought we got a good movie. I think the movie would have been 10x better uncut because of the way it was written with so much story in it I shouldn't have been cut really. Even right down to the Lois and Martha Kent scene and Superman Perry white scene. Personally I think people would have saw it more as a Bryan Singer film instead of a remake of Donner if left uncut.

I've read the novel but it was that long ago I cant remember.

I would have loved for SR's to have been uncut, it would have made the fi;m better for sure.

I dont ever think it was strongly hinted that it WAS Brainiac, but it was possible to tie him into the sequel with New Krypton.

You know that it was Singer who made all the cuts, right? And not someone else or studio pressure, etc.? Because he's said that himself. Lots of things are cut out of every movie, even whole scenes...and not just because of physical time, but because they end up taking up more time/space than what their worth in terms of what they add to the story. That's part of editing, and a big part of actually making the story better in terms of flow and pacing. And even if something is in the shooting script, it can still be cut out later if the director feels it's not working with everything actually there playing up on screen. What we saw WAS the final, uncut product and the director's cut...as finalized and decided upon by the director himself. What was cut out was during editing leading up to the final version.

Not saying that some movies aren't cut down severely because of really long running times...like Das Boot or Once Upon A Time In America. But Singer has said very clearly that he had no pressures to cut anything for any reason aside from what he decided on. The Krypton scene was cut because it took up too much time and slowed things down even more, as he said. So there's a lot more to cutting stuff out than just looking at what it was and saying "that should have been in there" or what have you. SR wasn't some movie that was sabotaged by outside influence or what have you. It was the movie that Bryan Singer felt was the best version with what he had to work with....even with the removal of stuff originally shot...he's on record as saying so. That's how movies are done, SR's no exception.

Last edited:
You know that it was Singer who made all the cuts, right? And not someone else or studio pressure, etc.? Because he's said that himself. Lots of things are cut out of every movie, even whole scenes...and not just because of physical time, but because they end up taking up more time/space than what their worth in terms of what they add to the story. That's part of editing, and a big part of actually making the story better in terms of flow and pacing. And even if something is in the shooting script, it can still be cut out later if the director feels it's not working with everything actually there playing up on screen. What we saw WAS the final, uncut product and the director's cut...as finalized and decided upon by the director himself. What was cut out was during editing leading up to the final version.

Not saying that some movies aren't cut down severely because of really long running times...like Das Boot or Once Upon A Time In America. But Singer has said very clearly that he had no pressures to cut anything for any reason aside from what he decided on. The Krypton scene was cut because it took up too much time and slowed things down even more, as he said. So there's a lot more to cutting stuff out than just looking at what it was and saying "that should have been in there" or what have you. SR wasn't some movie that was sabotaged by outside influence or what have you. It was the movie that Bryan Singer felt was the best version with what he had to work with....even with the removal of stuff originally shot...he's on record as saying so. That's how movies are done, SR's no exception.

So at the end of the day Singer is to blame for the mess that was Singerman Returns? :doh:

I think its pretty clear Singer was too in love with the Donner films for his own good:doh: This is why fans do not always have the best ideas for films. Too closely invested leads you to be blind to what works for the product. Brainiac is exactly what the film needed. Not another Lex real eatate rehash

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"